• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

No joke, last night I was watching a season 2 episode of X-Files that featured some carnies. One looked familiar, so I looked him up (Jim Rose) and found out he's the founder of a circus sideshow (Jim Rose Circus). Lo and behold, Kizarny is listed as one of the performers.
Jim Rose, hilarious. That's pretty sweet, the guy really plays his role well though. He doesn't miss a chance to promote himself as a circus act.

Bret shooting on Shawn, Sid, and Steve!

So on my last ppv I saw this gem and I think everyone needs to watch it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ts8s_flash-funk-vs-leif-cassidy_sport

Being 96' WWE wasn't too accustomed to these awesome flashy matxhes unless Bret or Shawn were part of it.

IYH:It's time was simply awesome

Zach, what did you rate this?

Also you get a chance to see Heel Michael Cole 12 years before it happens with Vince's dancing.

Flash Funk/2 Cold Scorpio was so awesome back in the day. But to be fair, he shoulda sold that backdrop to the floor a little better.

Main event of the night, Bart v Billy Gunn.

Billy looks like Simon from 7th Heaven.

How does Billy's wife blame Bart for Billy's "stinger"? Anything happen in the WWE and Billy had more offense in the match anyway.
Vince is such a fucking bozo at times it's not even funny. How do you turn your biggest heel of the year(Goldust) to a face?

I love how the security guard basically bullied these fans out of their seat so Goldust and Marlena can sit down in the crowd. THEY PAID FOR THOSE SEATS DAMNIT.

MG310

Yo what exactly happened with Kazarny? I remember the weird dark video promos for him then he finally gets here and he's gone the next second. I remember reading they were high on him but nothing came of it. Myself, I was so excited that we were getting something of that nature(I also loved Paul Burchill as a pirate) but I was disappointed that nothing went forward.

He turned out to be face Doink and not Ringmaster Rob Zombie. Then he had that awful debut match with I believe MVP and it was over.

It was basically the same thing they did with Brodus Clay except dancing dinosaur man was a good idea (well, a fun one for a few weeks anyway), Kizarny the meth addled clown with a heart of gold wasn't.

He turned out to be face Doink and not Ringmaster Rob Zombie. Then he had that awful debut match with I believe MVP and it was over.

It was basically the same thing they did with Brodus Clay except dancing dinosaur man was a good idea, Kizarny the meth addled clown with a heart of gold wasn't.
Vince truly never gave him time. He completely shelved him but you can also blame him for that.

If you remember the promotions for him, he clearly had more of a heel rather than a face appeal. Doink was loud and the fact that he was heel was just damn awesome. But with Kizarny, you could only go one way.

Yo, I'm pissed they're about to start Shotgun and I can't follow it on WWE network.

Also Sid cutting promos in the ring with his music playing in thr background lol! Like a 2009 Kane.

MG310

Vince truly never gave him time. He completely shelved him but you can also blame him for that.

If you remember the promotions for him, he clearly had more of a heel rather than a face appeal. Doink was loud and the fact that he was heel was just damn awesome. But with Kizarny, you could only go one way.

It felt like somebody backstage yelled "But kids love the circus!" 5 minutes before he was supposed to go on.

Smackdown from like 2003 to 2010 is wacky like that though. The big buildup to Mordecai only to kill him off in 2 months. Hade Vansen vignettes teasing a feud with the Undertaker and then he never wrestled a match on TV. Eric Escobar's entire 3 month career.

People always blame Vince and WWE for killing kayfabe but that shit was already dying in the 70s and you can only have wrestlers commit felonies outside the ring on TV so many times before people who aren't borderline senile and calling the cops realize the shit isn't on the level. Hell, you can go back to the 1950s, maybe even the late 30s/early 40s when writers started trying to spread the fact that it was all a work no matter how hard the carnies tried to pretend it was still alive and well until Vince, or dirt sheets or whatever else old guys and their suck up marks want to blame it on. Hell, 20/20 also did their own exposé years before Vince brought about the whole "sports entertainment" thing.

Botchamania 271

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aiLCoftyvs

Wow, that San Jose Raw crowd was pretty obnoxious.

It's all those damn drunk Europeans.

EDIT: LOL Hade Vansen, talk about something something completely and utterly forgotten about and I actually watched Smackdown back then.

If Vince doesn't get it you're pretty much dead in the water and the old man will lose interest in shit at the drop of a hat. It goes with his being out of touch and thinking he knows what people want even if they don't and he'll tell them what they want on top because what he wants is what you want whether you know it or not you fucking mark, then there's not trusting talent.

T_Exige

When I started watching, we only had 2000 - 2001 WCW Nitro/Thunder in my country (without backstage segments)

So I have been watching WCW 2001 Sin & Greed PPV's, didn't know production was this bad. Camcorder promos? Scott Steiner & Sid Vicious promos were hilarious.

At least the cruiserweights, Palumbo/O'haire and Booker T were ok.

Jamie OD

It felt like somebody backstage yelled "But kids love the circus!" 5 minutes before he was supposed to go on.

Smackdown from like 2003 to 2010 is wacky like that though. The big buildup to Mordecai only to kill him off in 2 months. Hade Vansen vignettes teasing a feud with the Undertaker and then he never wrestled a match on TV. Eric Escobar's entire 3 month career.

There's an entire lost generation of wrestlers because of that period. So many flops during that era and then you have the wrestlers who left WWE on bad terms like Lashley and Mr. Kennedy. OVW at the time was similar to what NXT is now where they had a lot of good talent and interesting angles going on but WWE had no idea how to use the call ups so most of them floundered.

Guzim

Ran across these on the Coli, just dropping them off for your viewing pleasure

OdTsjWh.gif

xtLXErr.gif
Hahaha. Oh damn.

Yo what exactly happened with Kazarny? I remember the weird dark video promos for him then he finally gets here and he's gone the next second. I remember reading they were high on him but nothing came of it. Myself, I was so excited that we were getting something of that nature(I also loved Paul Burchill as a pirate) but I was disappointed that nothing went forward.

Vince hated his debut with a fiery passion and thought he sucked. He was never on TV again and was released less than two months after that debut where he actually beat M.V.P.

RBH

Lucha Underground drew 125,000 viewers for the show’s airing on Wednesday night on El Rey Network. The immediate replay drew 76,000 viewers.

Powell’s POV: The season premiere of Lucha Underground drew 109,000 viewers for the first airing, and 85,000 viewers for the immediate replay. It will be interesting to see whether Rey Mysterio’s debut at the end of this week’s show will lead to any noticeable increase.
http://prowrestling.net/site/2016/02/04/lucha-underground-tv-viewership-for-season-two-episode-two/

Were they pumping in sound for Smackdown? Some of these pops and boos sound fake.

I'm fully on board for a New Day/Outcasts rivalry. I thin they can play well of each other for a promo.

Aiii

So not worth it
Miz is a fake Hollywood star who is so high andb mighty about himself and his career.

Breeze is a model / zoolander / take on modern day Narcissus

No he's not.

Breeze is a guy that dresses funny and takes selfies.

If anyone needs to understand why certain gimmicks work and some don't, there isn't a better current example than Miz and Breeze.

Breeze is nothing, he has no character, no personality, no charisma. He has a theme-song, an outfit and a selfiestick. There is nothing more to him, that's it.

Say what you will about Miz, but he is a character, he has describable motivations, a personality. His look is a result of his character, it is not the character itself.

RBH

Were they pumping in sound for Smackdown? Some of these pops and boos sound fake.
They've been pumping in sound on Smackdown since the show first started in 1999.

It's where the term "seagull pop" came from, because the WWE used to pump in the same high-pitched cheering sound for Smackdown shows for over 10 years.

No he's not.

If anyone needs to understand why certain gimmicks work and some don't, there isn't a better current example than Miz and Breeze.

Breeze is nothing, he has no character, no personality, no charisma. He has a theme-song, an outfit and a selfiestick. There is nothing more to him, that's it.

Say what you will about Miz, but he is a character, he has describable motivations, a personality. His look is a result of his character, it is not the character itself.

This kind of talks more to the point of why LU works so well. Every wrestler has a distinct character and personality to them. The moment I saw Breeze it just was nothing. My first thought was jobber.

They've been pumping in sound on Smackdown since the show first started in 1999.

It's where the term "seagull pop" came from, because the WWE used to pump in the same high-pitched cheering sound for Smackdown shows for over 10 years.

Shows how long I've been out of the Smackdown game.

klonere

Banned
No he's not.

Well one was a former WHC and was a focus of the show for long periods and the other is actually the new Heath Slater. They gave Tyler NOTHING on the main roster.

Fox318

Well one was a former WHC and was a focus of the show for long periods and the other is actually the new Heath Slater. They gave Tyler NOTHING on the main roster.
HHH just had to bring him up so breaking ground would have a happy ending.

So much for 6 months of planning.

They still use that same noise

klonere

Banned
AJ is on talk is Jericho.

Vince came up with the pitbull

I'm shocked

SHOCKED.

What about a vingette Vince? A video package? A sit down interview? Some comfortable squashes instead of going 50/50 with the Miz? Too terrified to show actual outside wrestling on your own flagship program? Because you think your audience are fucking idiots?

Nah, you get THE PITBULL instead. This toy is called the pitbull and he is small and not made by me. In 3 months he'll be going back and forth with Kalisto and Owens. Welcome to the big leagues.

I watched some AJ NJPW matches last night and am incredibly salty we are never getting an AJ face run there :( At least he's making great money for his family and himself. he deserves it

iMax

Judging by this week's Talk is Jericho, we can probably expect AJ on UpUpDownDown very soon. I had no idea he was a huge gamer.

Top Bottom