• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

ABfenv1.gif

Zach

I started the Nitro after Spring Stampede '98 and have had it playing in the background and the first match just started at 24:30. Imagine that with commercials. It's well past 30 minutes into the show before a match starts. Man, WCW.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I started the Nitro after Spring Stampede '98 and have had it playing in the background and the first match just started at 24:30. Imagine that with commercials. It's well past 30 minutes into the show before a match starts. Man, WCW.

When Nash starts booking Nitro in early 1999 extend that by 40 minutes to an hour. So first match at 1:04 or 1:24 in a three hour show. Also 90% of all WCW backstage vignettes are terrible (they get a bit better when Russo shows up) and you have a recipe for disaster. 1999 Nitro is fucked beyond belief.

Nash actually wanted Nitro to be basically a soap opera without any wrestling. I'm not lying at all. Thunder would be the show that had the action. He waa determined to put wCw in an early grave. Which is why I have this conspiracy theory that Vince sent Hall and Nasg over to destroy them from the inside.

Spring Stampede '98 was rarely entertaining. How about that backpack Diamond Cutter on Kidman, eh? That was pretty fun. And then Horace Hogan debuted. -_-

But hey! I look forward to reliving Goldberg crushing Raven and The Flock on the next Nitro. :D

Damn dude, how long have you been working on this? Are you also planning to share your spreadsheet?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nash actually wanted Nitro to be basically a soap opera without any wrestling. I'm not lying at all. Thunder would be the show that had the action. He waa determined to put wCw in an early grave. Which is why I have this conspiracy theory that Vince sent Hall and Nasg over to destroy them from the inside.

It's not quite that bad. The thinking that went around when Nash was in charge was to use the 8pm hour to prime the storytelling pump (which they assumed rightly was the reason why the WWF exploded) to keep people hooked and staying on at 9.

The problem was...their stories weren't ever any good and a lot of people also wanted a story in the ring, or even worse, a lot of people tuned into 8pm Nitro to see a bunch of Cruiserweights and mid carders go nuts...and now they were barely on the show if at all.

How well was Vickie Guerrero received during her run? Watching some of the 2011 PPV now and she is insufferable, but it's working so well with the crowd.

MC Safety

How well was Vickie Guerrero received during her run? Watching some of the 2011 PPV now and she is insufferable, but it's working so well with the crowd.

Vickie was just shrill. There's a difference between hating an actress when she's playing an evil person (say, Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction) and hating an actress when she's shrill and annoying (Lorraine Bracco in everything she's ever done).

Vickie Guerrerro had a nice run that had nothing to do with her talent as a villain.

RBH

The one thing I liked a lot about Vickie was that she was always willing to receive retribution and look like a fool in the process (same as Vince).

It's something Stephanie should learn.

Striker

Stephanie should pick between the two of acting as a role model/spokesperson for these so-called good causes or 'be a heel on TV'.

Zach

Damn dude, how long have you been working on this? Are you also planning to share your spreadsheet?

I think I started pretty much day one of the WWE Network. And you should be able to click the image and it'll take you to the Google spreadsheet, unless I messed something up. Let me know.

Luschient

Hello WrassleGAF, had my account approved during the "Great January Shutdown of '16" so now I can finally come in and shake some hands.

Fave Five
1. Bret Hart
2. Scott Hall
3. Edge
4. Ziggler
5. Undertaker (American Bad-Ass version)

Looking forward to joining in on the Road to WM Star with all of you.

Luschient

Yeah, I'm a bit of a masochist there. Hoping for one solid, sustained run that just never seems to materialize (even after several false starts).

It's not quite that bad. The thinking that went around when Nash was in charge was to use the 8pm hour to prime the storytelling pump (which they assumed rightly was the reason why the WWF exploded) to keep people hooked and staying on at 9.

The problem was...their stories weren't ever any good and a lot of people also wanted a story in the ring, or even worse, a lot of people tuned into 8pm Nitro to see a bunch of Cruiserweights and mid carders go nuts...and now they were barely on the show if at all.
From what I can recall, that first hour was usually the big three and nWo, then Goldberg and that was it. That was the only story promoted throughout the entire show(we'd check on the show sometimes during Raw as I said we really only watched the 8pm block).

You know it sounds similar to what's happening now, they're just writing the storyline that surrounds the belt and nothing else. I remember the Booker T and Master P storyline, that was big simply because they had an outside star, other than that I can't recall any other storylines. Unless they involved Goldberg tbh.

Vickie was fucking awesome. Some stated her presence possibly a slap in the face of Eddie but she had played the role of a heel so well that even Eddie would've approved it. Hell she had to pay the bills as well and she earned ever cent of it. Her and Edge eating each others faces sometimes was cringe worthy but Edge did what he had to do to be the top SD player. I enjoyed La Familia and I'd watch it all over again.

Undertaker silently shooting on Bret about being screwed. Would've been funny if Taker said, once again it's not always about you.

I love how he finally started using his lord of darkness phrase.

Also this waa the segment where Austin really got my attention, Vader standing back there in the shadows and Austin says, you know what I'll just whipp both of your asses. Good to see him sell Vader as a threat even though they're both heels.

WWE.com confirmed Finn hurt his ankle, not competing at the house show tonight, getting it looked at Monday

Add another one to the list

I suppose the one positive from their POV is that they already have weeks of television taped and can afford to let Balor ease up before Takeover.

Also, on a slightly related note, I'm going to a house show when WWE comes to the UK in April. Cena's injury reshuffled the lineup in a big way and instead of Owens and Ziggler alongside him, I get Reigns, the Dudleys and the Wyatts. lol

UberTag

Putting that old Destination America TV money to work finally.

I hope ROH grows in the future.
Steps to make Ring of Honor a competitive force in the marketplace...

1) Improve production values so WWE fans aren't scared away. You're already going to have better camerawork than them so just get some decent lighting.

2) Lock up Bryan Danielson once WWE fails to renew his contract or allow him to wrestle again (they'll tempt him with a decent Legends offer and possibly a training/agent gig).

3) Lock up CM Punk after he flames out in two matches at UFC.

4) Secure your big name homegrown talent to competitive deals so WWE can't snipe them away so they can wrestle on NXT, get wasted on the main roster and inevitably get injured.

5) Pray Vince stays alive until he's 100.

somedevil

He injured it doing the footstomp off the top rope to Joe. Luckily NXT is taped till the Wrestlemania show. So he has close to 8 weeks to heal up.

Fox318

New Cesaro shirt

http://shop.wwe.com/Cesaro-"The-Swiss-Superstar"-Vintage-T-Shirt/W10802,default,pd.html

Maybe he can be back by mania and brock can put him over.

RBH

This may seem like a minor gripe, but I've never really liked how ROH has always been so steadfast against Botchamania using any ROH footage.

To me, if I'm a wrestling company that's trying to do everything that I can to attract new fans, I would swallow my pride and get some free publicity from Botchamania in the process. I think it will help them more than hurt them at this point.

Steps to make Ring of Honor a competitive force in the marketplace...

1) Improve production values so WWE fans aren't scared away. You're already going to have better camerawork than them so just get some decent lighting.

2) Lock up Bryan Danielson once WWE fails to renew his contract or allow him to wrestle again (they'll tempt him with a decent Legends offer and possibly a training/agent gig).

3) Lock up CM Punk after he flames out in two matches at UFC.

4) Secure your big name homegrown talent to competitive deals so WWE can't snipe them away so they can wrestle on NXT, get wasted on the main roster and inevitably get injured.

5) Pray Vince stays alive until he's 100.
The problem with securing homegrown talent is that NXT is in full effect. The guys who didn't have a chance in Vince's main promotion at least have a chance to make it in his second best promotion. I think they say NXT talent can make anywhere from 45-80k or something of that nature but if you're even bigger(Nakamura, Gallows, maybe even Jay Lethal at this point) you can make 6 figures.

It's good to see they're upping their production vaules because that's going to really determine if you can keep a steady turn out. I remember ROH was at a backwoods local gym one time around my area and of course I wasn't going to go(I didn't know any of the talent anyway).

I'm glad they have a tv deal though even though it comes on at 10 or 11 on CW but it was something different. The last time I watched it was Alberto, Lethal, and Sydal feuding over the title.

I don't know if you can get Punk to go down so low and it seems like he's definitely burnt out of the fake stuff for now.

Bryan, well shit if WWE doesn't give him what he wants then I could see him lending his talent to them just so he can wrestle again. I don't think he'll do a permanent bid but maybr touring around and wrestling some of the best they have to offer.

ROH has definitely grown up and it'll be funny once they start doing a hell of a lot better than TNA, although that isn't hard to do in their current state.

I don't watch TV here(even though I work in TV) in Knoxville they show OVW Saturday afternoons which is cool. I didn't see who was on but seeing these little promotions get tv time compared to how it was ten years ago is sweet.

Entropia

No One Remembers
This may seem like a minor gripe, but I've never really liked how ROH has always been so steadfast against Botchamania using any ROH footage.

To me, if I'm a wrestling company that's trying to do everything that I can to attract new fans, I would swallow my pride and get some free publicity from Botchamania in the process. I think it will help them more than hurt them at this point.

It's to protect their brand, but I think it is pretty petty of them. Botchamania is just for fun.

Top Bottom