• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Mahonay

Banned
Brad Armstrong as Arachnaman AKA purple and yellow Spider-Man. Boy, Jim Herd was a dumb motherfucker. They quickly scrapped the gimmick after Marvel threatened legal action. You don't say??
arachnaman.jpg

Verendus

Banned
I was told by a moderator that "meme-ing, gimmick posting, and people pretending they are wrestlers" is partially to blame for WrassleGAF getting the axe last month, so could you ease up on your schtick?

If I'm off the mark here, please tell me. I would just like WrassleGAF to endure.
No. My posting style is forever, even if I end up RIP.

As for why WrassleGAF got closed, I may barely be around, but I'm a really smart guy who can connect the dots, and I saw the posts in the Roman Rumble thread.

1) Posters unable to behave like adults, and unable to engage others in a respectful manner. If you did this, then you'd never have a problem.

2) Posters pushing things too far by posting inappropriate content, or dwelling on topics that would be inappropriate. Just have to try and use some sense here.

3) Posters making assumptions about others by claiming they're meme-ing (I'm not sure what this means but I can venture a guess) and gimmick posters simply because they happen to enjoy, and like to post to enjoy themselves. This naturally leads to misunderstandings, but it also stems from folks who probably need to grow up, and accept that in this world we live in, people are going to have different opinions than you. I know, it's crazy. Also, Star Wars is shit. Balee dat.

4) I saw a post that apparently this community is insular. There are posters who post here regularly so they probably know each other well enough that others may not feel as welcomed if they're new, but I've been posting here on and off for over two years, and I am far from a regular poster. I can disappear for weeks, if not months at a time from GAF, but I've never had an issue simply inserting myself into the conversation or just posting how I want whenever I do come back here. I can't relate to this, but I'm not around enough to really give a serious opinion either. I will pass on this, but I'm still leaving number 4 here since I typed it up. I'm not deleting that work.

5) The general attitude in this thread tends to be chill. It's why I actually like this community. They keep it fun for the most part, and it's like a bunch of people who know not to take each other too seriously, and talk about things casually like close acquaintances or friends would. This probably causes a problem with posters who like to be serious all the time, and it's also probably what leads number 2 at times, but no one forces you to engage that banter, and there are always plenty of serious posts in these threads too. At least, that's what I see when I'm around.

6) Be the change you wish to see in the world. Gandhi said that. Now, while I consider myself a better person than him, I have to admit that slogan is pretty damn good.

7) Negativity. People are way too negative. That's not going to get you anything in life except for stress, headaches, and regret. Be positive. It goes a long way.

8) You can ignore all points from 1-7 because this one is the most important. Just don't do dumb things, and if you do, accept the consequences without whining and taking it as an affront to yourself. You talk about posters pretending to be other wrestlers, but where's the one pretending to be The Rock so he can tell all you jabronis "It doesn't matter". Just relax bitches.

And I ain't no goddamn schtick. You better balee dat. Making me waste a precious 5 minutes posting this bullshit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm sure you have your own belief as to why the thread was locked but the word from the horse's mouth was "constant meme-ing, insular, exclusive posting, and gimmick posting. We shouldn't be mean spirited when we talk about wrestlers or their fans, and we shouldn't be mean spirited or exclusive about other members. We should stay on topic instead of making it a general chat/discussion thread, and we do not need people pretending they are wrestlers/managers/etc."

It isn't our job to backseat moderate, but proceed at your own peril.

I'm sure you have your own belief as to why the thread was locked but the word from the horse's mouth was "constant meme-ing, insular, exclusive posting, and gimmick posting. We shouldn't be mean spirited when we talk about wrestlers or their fans, and we shouldn't be mean spirited or exclusive about other members. We should stay on topic instead of making it a general chat/discussion thread, and we do not need people pretending they are wrestlers/managers/etc."

It isn't our job to backseat moderate, but proceed at your own peril.

I was told by a moderator that "meme-ing, gimmick posting, and people pretending they are wrestlers" is partially to blame for WrassleGAF getting the axe last month, so could you ease up on your schtick?

If I'm off the mark here, please tell me. I would just like WrassleGAF to endure.

I wonder if that was me when I was doing those 'fun' promo posts about the New Generation of WrassleGAF posters... if so just tell me next time, so at least I know! Otherwise I'm really confused by this part, as I can't remember anyone doing that.

I didn't want to say anything, but because honesty's beneficial to whatever the mods decide to do, I've felt very threatened by behavior towards myself and my friends from posts like Mahonay and Man God among numerous others, who tend to single out and always jump on posts of ours specifically. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a "gimmick", and truthfully I don't believe there are gimmicks here. Even Sunny most of the time was just being himself.

I absolutely see insularity and hostility. Only reason I'm making it public is apparently messaging mods didn't change anything from members of the community, so maybe people behaving this way will see it, see how affecting it really is, and lighten up a bit on the posting of others. If they can't after this, well then, it's just proof they were never going to, and after all other attempts have failed that's more concerning about the thread's longterm life.

I, Verendus, and others just want to talk about wrestling, matches, bad booking, and all of its types here without having to fear always being confronted just because what we say or how we say it is considered a "gimmick" or not sincere

Cagey

Banned
I didn't want to say anything, but because honesty's beneficial to whatever the mods decide to do, I've felt very threatened by behavior towards myself and my friends from posts like Mahonay and Man God among numerous others, who tend to single out and always jump on posts of ours specifically. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a "gimmick", and truthfully I don't believe there are gimmicks here. Even Sunny most of the time was just being himself.

I absolutely see insularity and hostility. Only reason I'm making it public is apparently messaging mods didn't change anything from members of the community, so maybe people behaving this way will see it, see how affecting it really is, and lighten up a bit on the posting of others. If they can't after this, well then, it's just proof they were never going to, and after all other attempts have failed that's more concerning about the thread's longterm life.

I, Verendus, and others just want to talk about wrestling, matches, bad booking, and all of its types here without having to fear always being confronted just because what we say or how we say it is considered a "gimmick" or not sincere

Main board wrestling threads are worse because they attract a larger crowd of still-niche ISEC fans with even less tolerance for dissent-from-ISEC views. At least here, it's good-natured disagreement and jokes.

Mahonay

Banned

I'm pretty unreasonable and hostile.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

As for why WrassleGAF got closed, I may barely be around, but I'm a really smart guy who can connect the dots, and I saw the posts in the Roman Rumble thread.

1) Posters unable to behave like adults, and unable to engage others in a respectful manner. If you did this, then you'd never have a problem.

2) Posters pushing things too far by posting inappropriate content, or dwelling on topics that would be inappropriate. Just have to try and use some sense here.

3) Posters making assumptions about others by claiming they're meme-ing (I'm not sure what this means but I can venture a guess) and gimmick posters simply because they happen to enjoy, and like to post to enjoy themselves. This naturally leads to misunderstandings, but it also stems from folks who probably need to grow up, and accept that in this world we live in, people are going to have different opinions than you. I know, it's crazy. Also, Star Wars is shit. Balee dat.

4) I saw a post that apparently this community is insular. There are posters who post here regularly so they probably know each other well enough that others may not feel as welcomed if they're new, but I've been posting here on and off for over two years, and I am far from a regular poster. I can disappear for weeks, if not months at a time from GAF, but I've never had an issue simply inserting myself into the conversation or just posting how I want whenever I do come back here. I can't relate to this, but I'm not around enough to really give a serious opinion either. I will pass on this, but I'm still leaving number 4 here since I typed it up. I'm not deleting that work.

5) The general attitude in this thread tends to be chill. It's why I actually like this community. They keep it fun for the most part, and it's like a bunch of people who know not to take each other too seriously, and talk about things casually like close acquaintances or friends would. This probably causes a problem with posters who like to be serious all the time, and it's also probably what leads number 2 at times, but no one forces you to engage that banter, and there are always plenty of serious posts in these threads too. At least, that's what I see when I'm around.

6) Be the change you wish to see in the world. Gandhi said that. Now, while I consider myself a better person than him, I have to admit that slogan is pretty damn good.

7) Negativity. People are way too negative. That's not going to get you anything in life except for stress, headaches, and regret. Be positive. It goes a long way.

8) You can ignore all points from 1-7 because this one is the most important. Just don't do dumb things, and if you do, accept the consequences without whining and taking it as an affront to yourself. You talk about posters pretending to be other wrestlers, but where's the one pretending to be The Rock so he can tell all you jabronis "It doesn't matter". Just relax bitches.

And I ain't no goddamn schtick. You better balee dat. Making me waste a precious 5 minutes posting this bullshit.
tumblr_n6ohawPaHc1qcluu2o1_250.gif

My uce.
dmSkpJP.gif

MC Safety

This forum got shut down for plenty of reasons.

The gimmick posting and people pretending to be wrestlers is just the most embarrassing of the lot.

Let's hope our problematic posters decide to stay on Slaent where they gathered in secret to circumvent their punishment.

Here's to FnP, friends.

That's really too bad, I was hoping they would use their time to work out some aggressive posting habits and come back reformed. Instead we learn that they've gone and built a brand new den of perversion to wallow in their filth smh

UberTag

You're right, there's a 0% chance he wins.

Reigns vs. HHH is happening with Roman winning the title standing victorious at the end of the show. It's guaranteed. WWE doesn't give a fuck if he's booed, it's what they want.

Ambrose will be a part of the inevitable 6 man IC title match.
Just imagine the insane IC title tourney they could book post-Mania if they actually did the improbably and put the strap on Dean.

Would be glorious. Of course, they won't do the above so it doesn't matter.

so its a fake post about fake sports?

Fox exposing the business.

I have to admit, as someone who has been posting in wrasslegaf for the best part of a year and lurking for longer, that i've never found this sub-community particularly insular, or anywhere near threatening. I enjoy the comments of all of the regulars here, including those currently on the bench, and I also balee in Verendus. He posts like he's enjoying himself, he has a distinct voice, and he's not harming anyone by doing so. What's the issue? Should everyone on Gaf post in a dry fashion, and have the same opinions? Where would the debate come from? That's why we're all here, right?

In fact, I posted in a thread about The Witness and piracy the other day, and found discussion much, much more difficult than i've ever found it in this thread. That, friends, was like repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall.

I've also never seen anyone type up a promo or pretend to be a wrestler, for what it's worth.

UberTag

Also in TNA news crosspost with injury news:

Kurt got concussed Friday
Davey got concussed Friday
Mandrews nearly got concussed Saturday
Davey hurt his leg Sunday
I bet that both of the doctors that gave Daniel Bryan the green light would bench Davey Richards out of concern for his concussion history.
I also bet that Richards will be back wrestling for TNA in no time.

What the hell is gimmick posting anyway?

Implication that people aren't posting their serious thoughts about something

It's fun to see how many different ways they've edited the curbstomp out of the WM31 finish.

The cut to the crowd one is still my favorite. "Look at their reactions, not the thing they're reacting to".

Loved it when that accidentally happened with the crowd reacting to Styles' Rumble TitanTron reveal, and was criticized enough they had to post a Youtube video correcting it

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What the hell is gimmick posting anyway?

Trolling. In a wrestling context, its something like if a poster says they think Daniel Bryan would put on a good match with some other wrestler, someone responds with "there's no way a goat-faced vanilla midget goat could ever put on a good match with him balee dat friend," usually in more words and catchphrases. Also known as "getting your shit in" - an empty reply without any purpose other than dropping memes and catchphrases.

klonere

Banned
Just imagine the insane IC title tourney they could book post-Mania if they actually did the improbably and put the strap on Dean.

Would be glorious. Of course, they won't do the above so it doesn't matter.

Man a big, elaborate IC tourny with different stips per round, interweaving feuds...it could be the jumping off point for so much greatness.

Instead all our current favs are going to be in 50/50 land with it for months on end till nobody cares anymore.

Just reading Rusev's recent tweets about Meltzer just solidifies how awesome Rusev is and he just quickly needs to get away from that League of Jobbers stable. He deserves another push but who knows if that'll ever happen.

Angry Grimace

Just reading Rusev's recent tweets about Meltzer just solidifies how awesome Rusev is and he just quickly needs to get away from that League of Jobbers stable. He deserves another push but who knows if that'll ever happen.

The problem I see is that the natural resolution of the Ziggler storyline (which was undeniably a bad storyline that went on too long for a lot of reasons) was Rusev turning face (which would be great), not Lana turning heel again. I suspect this is why they were pissed off as opposed to Lana breaking kayfabe or ruining a dumb angle - I'm guessing they were planning a double turn with Ziggler and Rusev.

Mahonay

Banned
A lot of his recent Tweets really seem to be from Lana.

Trolling. In a wrestling context, its something like if a poster says they think Daniel Bryan would put on a good match with some other wrestler, someone responds with "there's no way a goat-faced vanilla midget goat could ever put on a good match with him balee dat friend," usually in more words and catchphrases. Also known as "getting your shit in" - an empty reply without any purpose other than dropping memes and catchphrases.

Perfectly stated, it's ridiculous that some still refuse to acknowledge this

MG310

I missed everything after New Year's Dash leading up to this last Shinsuke show.

Have all of the crowds turned on Hirooki Goto this hard?

Shadow780

How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't?

Implication that people aren't posting their serious thoughts about something

Loved it when that accidentally happened with the crowd reacting to Styles' Rumble TitanTron reveal, and was criticized enough they had to post a Youtube video correcting it

I honestly have no idea, but it's already a shoe-in for my most hated internet term of 2016. 2015's winner was 'entitled/entitlement'.

Lol, I didn't even notice that.

Basically, it's having an opinion that's different than most folks here.

Seems very difficult to police that, I think it's all fun and games as long as it doesn't escalate to personal insults and stuff.

Zach

Angry Grimace pretty much hit the nail on the head. And I don't want to argue about it. I'm not sitting here like "yeah!! Tell 'em, Angry G!!" I just don't want WrassleGAF to be closed because a few of us (we're a team, Verendus - xoxo) refuse to adjust our habits.

Basically, it's having an opinion that's different than most folks here.

That's not true at all.

I missed everything after New Year's Dash leading up to this last Shinsuke show.

Have all of the crowds turned on Hirooki Goto this hard?

I don't think so. He only got that treatment because Nakamura was never getting booed that night and they knew it

Honestly I'll always trust Meltzer over any active performer.

Same. Dude cares about the business a lot and it's hard to not believe it seeing the levels he devotes to covering it. My favorite Dave story (and in retrospect probably the most Dave story) is the one time he went on a vacation to the beach a while ago.

3 hours into his stay he called Bryan to see if he missed anything.

Top Bottom