• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Welcome To The New Era (Beta Version 1.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I just boned a 38 year old mom. She's maybe a 5/10, but I'm not an asshole that thinks I'm too good for a 5/10 like someone we know. And now, back to NWA.

Good form
iV3Ycuytc4Qu4.gif

Cagey

Banned
I can't get more than 3 minutes into any stream on WWE Network without the feed dying.

It's GA Lower Balc for me too. We got ourselves a Fatal Four Way right now.

GA Lower Balcony here, too.

I just can't believe they'd give Steen the time of day when they cut Chris Hero for being skinny fat.

Maybe the chance to work with Sami Zayn again will give him to motivation to finally hit the gym?

For pro wrestling, skinny fat is much worse than fat. A fat guy still has size, which leads to a believable intimidation that his offense will hurt and, more generally, that he could win a fight. A skinnyfat guy looks like someone who is just plain out of shape and should rightfully get their ass beaten by anyone.

Cagey

Banned
One more post while I'm quasi-spamming.

Masked Man dropping some bombs in his latest:
The crowd on Monday in Green Bay did a disservice to the cause, to be sure — they chanted random non sequiturs over good matches and generally became the worst version of any wrestling crowd ever, inserting irony into matches where it wasn’t deserved, chanting just to hear their own voices.

That has been the problem with the rise in crowd participation over the last decade. WWE knows it has a live test market every night it puts on a show. But John Cena’s “Cena sucks!” refrain proves chants should not always be taken literally — they can be general statements of dissatisfaction, or just something fun to scream. And even when “Cena sucks!” really means Cena sucks, that’s not always a bad thing, and not necessarily a reason to change direction. Singing along to the Fandango entrance music may be a paean to an earlier era of simpler gimmicks, or it might be an arena-wide circle jerk. It’s hard to blame WWE if it’s still trying to process the relevance of the “Yes Movement.” But the T-shirts show that the company knows how potent Bryan’s support is now – there’s no way to deny that.

“I don’t know how Triple H can ignore the WWE universe,” said announcer Michael Cole on Monday, underscoring the counterculture mainstreaming. “Everywhere we go, the Yes Movement is dominating. You can’t keep it down.” It felt snide to be acknowledging Bryan fans in such a corporate way, especially when Bryan’s fan base hates Cole even more than it despises Lawler. Those fans hate the announcers who are talking Bryan up, they hate the guy he’s facing at WrestleMania — it’s almost as if WWE is antagonizing us on purpose. Fans complain they’re being mistreated, but what if we’re just getting what we deserve?

Not to pull a swerve double-turn finish on you here, but what if we — the “smart” fans — are the heels? We’re the ones flaunting our ironic intelligence and hogging the spotlight. We’re the ones booing John Cena when he’s supposed to get cheers. We’re the ones illegally streaming pay-per-views instead of buying them. We’re the ones raising our noses at the company that’s brought us so much joy.

And in the main event at WrestleMania, the heels normally lose

http://grantland.com/features/wwe-wrestlemania-batista-randy-orton-daniel-bryan-triple-h/

Big One

Banned
IT's never the fans fault. If the fans react to things in ways they weren't intended to then that's the problem with the product itself, not the fans watching it. These fans spend hard-earned money to get a program, and leaving them continuously dissatisfied really isn't good for business at all. I do think that they're building up a payoff to the Daniel Bryan story hence why fans are invested in the product...but if there isn't, and Triple H ends up burying him, it could very well backfire on them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NXT Arrival should tweet out the results of TNA impact for the week.

"Willow of the Wisp", who wrestled in this company as Jeff Hardy will be
MVP's fourth in the Lockdown PPV.
That'll put butts in the seats."

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NXT Arrival should tweet out the results of TNA impact for the week.

"Willow of the Wisp", who wrestled in this company as Jeff Hardy will be
MVP's fourth in the Lockdown PPV.
That'll put butts in the seats."

Wouldn't want to do that. Free publicity. Sullivan talks about that incident in his shoot in fact. Says it was basically the worst thing Bischoff could do

Showaddy

I swore myself off reading Youtube comments for the good of my health but I had a flick through the Emma vs Summer Rae comments just to see some of the reactions to Emma.

The people saying Emma stole/ripped off/copied Melina's finisher...My heart...

I swore myself off reading Youtube comments for the good of my health but I had a flick through the Emma vs Summer Rae comments just to see some of the reactions to Emma.

Stealing Melina's finisher? Emma didn't have sex with Bootista. At least not that we know of... yet.

TNA should seriously think about relocating to England. People seem to really like fhem

The @IMPACTWRESTLING ep from Manchester shown on 16th Feb has officially become the highest rating show in @ChallengeTV history! @TNADixie

Sephzilla

One more post while I'm quasi-spamming.

Masked Man dropping some bombs in his latest:

The crowd on Monday in Green Bay did a disservice to the cause, to be sure — they chanted random non sequiturs over good matches and generally became the worst version of any wrestling crowd ever, inserting irony into matches where it wasn’t deserved, chanting just to hear their own voices.

As someone who was actually at that show... what good matches?. Big E vs Cesaro was a rest-hold-fest. Shaemus vs Christian was 80% boring. Reigns vs Bray only became good once it stopped being Reigns vs Bray. Old Age Outlaws vs Usos was a quick match. Bryan vs Kane was okay but nothing memorable. The best match of the night was an 8-man tag match for Superstars.

People pretending the Green Bay crowd shit all over a B+ Raw when it was a C- show at best that was only saved by Brock and Taker.

"I miss the days of TRISH and LITA bring back the real wrestlers!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wouldn't want to do that. Free publicity. Sullivan talks about that incident in his shoot in fact. Says it was basically the worst thing Bischoff could do

That's the joke. The other part of it is that I doubt they know or even care they are going live against Impact. It never crossed their mind as Thursday has been NXT day for a long while now.

Thing is it worked during the first two years of Nitro because Raw sucked. Suddenly he brings back the gimmick out of nowhere when someone who was insanely over with a crowd who was watching both programs surprisingly wins the belt on a Raw the same night of the finger poke of doom.

Hell there might have even been some long time WCW viewers who loved Cactus Jack and became first time Raw viewers.

Vylash

I hate King a lot more than Cole. Cole is definitely the best guy on the Raw commentary team.

Cole can be amazing when he wants to be, I remember him killing it when Henry won the world title "THE FIFTEEN YEAR ODYSSEY IS OVER! MARK HENRY IS WORLD CHAMPION! AND ALL DOUBTERS AND CYNICS BE DAMNED!"

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I love when people go back and think Trish was a good wrestler. She was fucking terrible, no better than the divas today. In the biggest match of her career at WM 22 she completely botched the ending in hilarious fashion. Divas matches were and always will be a piss break. Unless it involves Emma. She's the best.

somedevil

Oh boy on the Bauer and Pollock show Court decides to create some controversy by calling Bryan the Ziggler of 2014. Saying he is losing momentum and yes chant is getting fainter.

Do you agree?

Its hard to take him seriously when basically his fans hijacked the Royal Rumble and Batista is booed because he isn't Bryan.

Striker

I love when people go back and think Trish was a good wrestler. She was fucking terrible, no better than the divas today. In the biggest match of her career at WM 22 she completely botched the ending in hilarious fashion. Divas matches were and always will be a piss break.
The women's division was a lot better in that 2000-2003ish time for sure, but Trish wasn't the reason why. They had good heels doing the dirty work. Also being able to show off your body and take big bumps from the guys helped.

Showaddy

Oh boy on the Bauer and Pollock show Court decides to create some controversy by calling Bryan the Ziggler of 2014. Saying he is losing momentum and yes chant is getting fainter.

Do you agree?

Its hard to take him seriously when basically his fans hijacked the Royal Rumble and Batista is booed because he isn't Bryan.

It's certainly quieter when he forced to fight guys like Kane but Bryan & Wyatt in the cage was like 6 weeks ago and that's easily one of the loudest pops Iv'e ever heard.

After having a few real salty Arena runs tonight, I've come to the conclusion that Hearthstone is beta as fuck

Early times Magic here, really. Some cards are broken as fuuuuuck

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
38 huh? The oldest I have ever been with is 25. I gotta step up my age game. The current girl I am perusing is 21, maybe her mother was 17 when she was born?

Big One

Banned

Do you agree?

It got fainter last night but I doubt he lost any momentum unless Triple H buries him at Wrestlemania for no real reason.

Be a real man and play Netrunner irl

My friend Ian plays that...I'd rather not. I'll get sucked into an addiction vortex and never return!

Also YO JUDDERMAN WE IN THIS FATAL FOUR WAY

PREPARE TO sit next to me while I make condescending remarks about how I would shoot the show

WRESTLING!

Edit: Holy shit Spider no don't follow this race to the bottom, man

My friend Ian plays that...I'd rather not. I'll get sucked into an addiction vortex and never return!

PREPARE TO sit next to me while I make condescending remarks about how I would shoot the show

WRESTLING!

We need to make sure we have ARROW BUNCH shirts made and ready to be sold outside the arena.

UberTag

I wouldn't say D.Brine is losing momentum but I would argue that he's stalled out somewhat since the Seattle RAW.

His scripted face promos (that I've tracked down on YouTube) have been garbage (almost to the point where one might suspect sabotage) and while CM Punk's departure has opened the door for the Triple H match at Mania the chants for Punk have also served as a distraction for rebellious fans who have no sense of perspective.

The fans chanting "CM Punk" evoke the impression that they're not necessarily backing Bryan so much as simply preferring to shit on the force-fed product and as such the Bryan support is more easily dismissed by the brass as fans lashing out instead of being legitimately behind the guy.

On the bright side, D.Brine's merchandise has never been better so if fans want to support him they now have non-embarrassing options to consider.

The real test will be post-Mania. Bryan's fans have been hell-bent on D.Brine getting that main event title win whereas Vince and company are hoping to weather the storm until afterwards and then reassess from there.

Big Dave's work rate & cardio has been awful and is really the big variable in play for both Mania and beyond. If his match vs.
Ziggles on SmackDown
is equally as bad as the Del Rio contests and there are legit concerns about his conditioning, I can see title plans being changed. I don't believe they'll change based on popularity/heat or lack thereof for Orton & Big Dave.

Cagey

Banned

WRESTLING!

Worst part about ROH in Hammerstein is the overwhelming number of dumbasses in the crowd who are there to get themselves over as comedy geniuses by shouting snarky insider wrestling jokes. Venue is small enough that several of them will start saying random "obscure" wrestling shit to each other.

We get it bro. You read the DIRTSHEETZ and you watched wrestling in 2002.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

NWA Starrcade 1988

God damn, Tony looks so fat. Magnum TA is a special guest host with him for the show. JR and Bob Caudle will call the matches.

The Fantastics vs Steve Williams/Kevin Sullivan NWA US Tag Team Championships

Sullivan going from the devil to "Games Master" head of a frat kind of guy is pretty weird. Sullivan and Fulton begin the match. Second rope Thesz press from Fulton right away. I wonder how Sullivan managed to get so fat. Dude was jacked and shredded in the early 80s. More than just about everyone at the time. LOL at a shot of Jason Hervey and JR saying "....and his.....friend?". The way he said it was so funny. The Fantastics hit a double monkey flip on Doc, but he mows over Fulton shortly after anyway. Doc was only 27, but dude looked like he was in his 40s his whole life. He kind of had Arn Anderson syndrome. Kevin's mullet is really bad. It's almost a skullet. Also, Sullivan isn't a good wrestler. I don't think I've seen any matches from him that I enjoy except the stuff with Benoit, which were fights more than matches. And these styles don't mesh well at all. If I can talk about Sullivan's mullet some more, it looks like he has half an under cut, trying a flat top, a mullet, and balding all at the same time. Doc pinned Fulton after a Stun Gun. New champions.

ibeh0zdBU8E0sB.gif

The Midnight Express vs The Original Midnight Express

Mirror match! Kind of. The Original Midnights were actually the originals. Paul E. Dangerously brought them back to be a dick to Cornette. So much bad hair in this match. Corny is the only guy who has a normal hair cut. Even the ref (Teddy Long) has an awful hair cut. Stan and Bobby run the originals from the ring. Corny's team is most definitely the face team. Even Cornette himself is over as a face. Heyman is such a good heel he could get Jim Cornette face pops. Condry and Stan start the match, which slows down in a hurry after an atomic drop from Stan. Corny is doing a lot of prancing. Tags are made and the Originals are getting shown up. No offense from them so far. Flying elbow from Bobby. No response from the Originals. They are getting schooled. The tides turn when Bobby misses a move in the corner. After being FIP for a while, Bobby hits a desperation neck breaker, but couldn't make a tag. Bobby is getting a beat down. The Originals miss the Rocket Launcher. Hot tag to Stan. Paul E. hits him with the phone. Cornette decks Paul. Teddy counted the fall and stopped when he saw the phone, then held it up and asked the fans what happened. While Rose is arguing with Teddy, the current ME hit a leg sweep/clothesline combo for the win. After the match, they were attacked, along with Cornette. Cornette got hit with the phone and his own racquet. Bobby eventually got a hold of the racquet and ran the Originals and Paul off.

ibsjNd1fzP3yOE.gif

ibtr2b6lWAruyP.gif

TO THE MAGNUM. TA talks with the Varsity Club backstage. I'm pretty sure IRS is sweating just doing a promo. IRS is going to kick Rick Steiner like a stupid dog.

iJ2dKaj399LiB.gif

Junkyard Dog/Ivan Koloff vs Russian Assassins

I'm sure this will be great. Hopefully this is short and they have a singles match next. JYD and Ivan is such a weird team. It was, in fact, quite short. The Assassins won after a gimmicked headbutt on Ivan.

ibcwaDaimr53XG.gif

Rick Steiner vs Mike Rotunda NWA TV Championship

Rick out wrestles and out bites IRS. IRS is covered in sweat seconds into the match. Kevin Sullivan is in a shark cage for the match. The match is kind of choppy so I'm sure I've missed some stuff, but as of now, IRS is in control and has lost 30 pounds of water weight. Lariatooooo! Rick got drilled with it. I can't t ell if it is a stream issue or actual footage issue when it comes to the skipping. My gut leans towards it being a Network issue. It skipped ahead and the bell was ringing, but it was Dr. Death ringing it, so the match continued, but now Rick was all confused and Sullivan's cage had been lowered. IRS got rammed into Sullivan and Rick got the pin. New champion! Fans are losing their shit. A lot of people aren't aware that Rick Steiner was basically Eugene before Scott joined him.

iyJF5oLL2ygPP.gif

Barry Windham vs Bam Bam Big Yellow NWA US Championship

Barry surprises Bam Bam right away with some stiff punches and a back suplex that Bam Bam no sells. Barry bails out. Big shoulder block from Bammer. I think Bam Bam tried to bite the claw hand. Press slam to Barry. A standing dropkick sends Barry over the top and to the floor. JoJo tries to claim it was intentional, but Tommy Young said the match will continue. Super kick. Stalling suplex. We may see a new champion tonight. Barry fights back as JR talks about fighting spirit. Bam Bam is thrown to the floor, apparently hurting his knee. Bam Bam comes back in with a slingshot splash, then misses a Superfly Splash. Windham lariatooooooo. Back suplex from Barry. Maybe we won't see a new champion. Dropkick and Bam Bam goes back out to the floor. It's time for THE CLAW! JR is screaming about Barry rising to a level he's never seen before. Body slam. Barry misses his awesome flying elbow that I don't think he ever landed. Both guys go flying over the top, taking out a camera man in the process. Barry posts Bam Bam and makes it into the ring before the 10 count. Title retained. I love Barry Windham.

iuQApJFQ1RdGo.gif

i53zXECeql8j9.gif

ibfOZNq7s1RoSL.gif

TO THE MAGNUM.
Mags talks with the new TV Champion, Rick Steiner. Rick Steiner's gimmick really was that of a very likely mentally challenged athlete, so he was quite confused during most of the promo.

Dusty Rhodes/Sting vs Road Warriors NWA World Tag Team Championships

LOD turned heel by taking a spike off their shoulder pads and trying to stab Dusty's eye out. It almost got them thrown of TBS. They tried to ambush the faces, but a dropkick and DDT sent them scattering. Regardless of the heel turn, there was still a LOD chant that could be heard. Sting and Animal begin the match. Dusty should have worn face paint for this. A dropkick sends Animal bailing to the floor. Tag to Dusty. Elbow! He then goes for Animal's eye. Rip it out, Dream! Elbows for Hawk. Sting is in and biting while doing arm ringers. Hawk's NWA face paint seems a lot more intimidating to me. Hawk just pounds the fuck out of Sting in the corner. Sting fires back with a definite potato to the head. Powerslam. Giant elbow drop. Animal is in and easily press slams Sting. He comes right back with lariats and a cross body to the floor. Sting is a big dude to be flying around doing planchas and shit. It's pretty rad. Dusty works over Hawk's leg, but Hawk goes back for the eye. Dusty is starting to get funky like a monkey. Dropkick! Didn't take long for him to get taken back down. Animal tries to bite Dusty's eye. Hot tag to Sting. You ever notice that LOD wore their tights like mom jeans? Jeans up, mommies! Stinger Splash. Hawk breaks up the Deathlock. Sting had the match won with a top rope cross body, but Paul Ellering pulled Tommy Young out and got in the ring. The match was thrown out, so titles were retained.

impLoS0lFSDeg.gif

Ric Flair vs Lex Luger NWA Championship

Hopefully the Virginia State Athletic Commission is not as strict on blood loss as Maryland's. Flair shows off too much in the early moments and gets clotheslined over the top. It was definitely intentional and should be grounds for a DQ. Coming on, Tommy, you know the rules. You're the senior NWA official. That was clearly intentional. Holy shit, LOU THESZ is in the crowd! LOU THESZ! LOU THESZ! Some stiff chops lead into a shoulder block, drop down, leap frog, powerslam OH HELL YEAH SHARI'S BERRIES spot. Press slam. Flair begs off. Lex doesn't fall for it. He does the second time, though. Lex is working over the arm. It would make more sense to me to work over Flair's legs so he wouldn't be able to properly do the figure four, or the ribs to set up for the torture rack. Flair barely makes it over on a hip toss. Eye poke! Lex Hulks Up from chops. That seems to happen to so many people that Flair should have figured out he should never do chops in the corner. Lex goes back to arm work, both in and out of the ring. Lariatooo. 2 count. Charles Robinson is clearly the offspring of a Ric Flair/Tommy Young love affair. Lex misses an elbow drop and Flair after the ribs. Double stomp from Flair. He rarely pulled that moved out. Chops again just fired Lex up for a short offensive burst that ended with Flair back suplexing out of a sleeper. Figure four is countered with a small package for a 2 count. Superplex. We're gonna have a new champion! NO! 2 count. Lex applies the figure four! BY GOD! Flair gets to the ropes. Lex accidentally elbows Tommy Young in the face while throwing punches. Lex hits a top rope cross body that would have won him the title if the ref was able to react faster. Rough Flair Flip. Lex is going to do it, guys! Press slam. Powerslam. It's time for the torture rack. JoJo distracts Lex long enough for Flair to go to the floor. He tripped Lex and smashed his leg with a chair while hanging off the apron. Time to fuck that leg up. Figure four. Lex hypes up and reverses it. The hold is broken. Knee drop on the knee. Flair goes up top for no reason at all. I like how it was never even explained that the reason Flair goes up top is because he won a title coming off the top once and thinks it will work again. Instead, it's just Flair goes up to the top rope when he has a guy down on the mat and then waits to be thrown. For 30 years. Flair just bounces off of Lex trying to do a Flying Burrito. Another powerslam and Lex calls for the rack one more time. Flair is up! But Lex's knee gave out and Flair fell on top of him. Cover with feet on the ropes. Flair wins. Title retained.

iPwDGCMfIOoyv.gif

ibkga7bannru8f.gif

TO THE MAGNUM.
TA talks with Ric Flair and JoJo. WITH A TEAR IN MY EYE! I'm pretty sure the OG Big Gold Belt is the best championship in wrestling history. I can't believe Ric Flair didn't blade. This was Luger's last shot ever.

ibi9XPQXIyttaV.gif

Tony wraps up the show talking about how Flair is the greatest champion of this era and what the future will hold for the NWA heading into the last year of the decade.

i81a6sSH4hl53.gif

BONUS FAN GIF:

ibaqwHPrjGmSh5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom