• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
SQ9EzV4.jpg
lol ok sure thing man
They are going to give them a 12 minute match with zero build and when the crowd doesn't react because they've been trained not to, they'll say "See, we told you so!"
This is probably true

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They still seem pretty different to me, except I should feel bad about both. Graves' statements, to me, sounded like "yeah keep watching NXT is doing it right and change is coming" - that's what I took from it.

His statement says to me that because NXT is booked well, it'll work out for everyone. How do you think Alicia Fox feels about that? How do you think Emma feels about that? How do you think Paige feels about that? Natalya? Sasha Banks and Charlotte are not better than those girls. They're better booked. 'Make their own chances' is some Vince McMahon drivel. No one in NXT 'made their own chance.' Not any more than anyone in WWE. And if they did, they got a chance to make it. How the fuck do you expect Alicia Fox to go out there on Superstars in a 3 minute match with Rosa and 'make her chance?'. He also says the incredibly selfish 'well you lost me' at the end. Mother fucker, this isn't about you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
His statement says to me that because NXT is booked well, it'll work out for everyone. How do you think Alicia Fox feels about that? How do you think Emma feels about that? How do you think Paige feels about that? Natalya? Sasha Banks and Charlotte are not better than those girls. They're better booked. 'Make their own chances' is some Vince McMahon drivel. No one in NXT 'made their own chance.' Not any more than anyone in WWE. And if they did, they got a chance to make it. How the fuck do you expect Alicia Fox to go out there on Superstars in a 3 minute match with Rosa and 'make her chance?'. He also says the incredibly selfish 'well you lost me' at the end. Mother fucker, this isn't about you.
What can you do, though? I see your perspective and I think Graves worded his tweets poorly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
2 minutes is generous.

I will say it was funny that someone yesterday complained they don't give Paige the title even though the entire Divas division is Paige and people Paige fight.

Alucard

Banned
Fucking hell. I keep trying to watch the joshi match Data recommended on dailymotion, but this POS keeps freezing on me or playing super choppily. Ugh.

I will say it was funny that someone yesterday complained they don't give Paige the title even though the entire Divas division is Paige and people Paige fight.

I'd rather Paige be the constant than any of the others on the main roster. But they do need to shake it up.

If WWE honestly wanted to change the perception of the women for the casual fan, and they almost certainly don't, they have to spend a while treating like it is important before the crowd would realize it is. The fastest way to do that is to basically make Charlotte into Ronda Rousey. Put the belt on her and have her in main events and long matches on Raw while focusing on the fact that she is a dominant champion. Have her beat pretty much everyone on the roster and then once she is really over and has held the title for a while, have someone beat her for it. Now you'll have two women really over. Rinse and repeat. It might take time, but it'll payoff in the long-term.

Of course that won't happen. But it is how they should do it if they want to make the casual fans care.

#GiveDivasAChanceUntilRatingsDropDuringTheirSegments

Women's segments historically perform better than average on Raw. Have for a long time. Even with the bad booking. Imagine if they were actually booked well.

Alucard

Banned
I hope this is something Vince has actually heard, and isn't just something he's saying. The "Keep watching" just seems like a troll to keep people tuning in, though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I watch this old AJW stuff. I watch the Golden Age of womens' wrestling, where it made more money than mens wrestling and where it was the biggest it's ever been. Not everyone in the ring is a model. Everyone looks different. They don't all wear two pieces, they don't all have six packs, they don't all have make-up done by the same woman. And I watch this stuff, and I watch the crowd. The crowd is so hot for these matches. Dump and the Crush Gals are villains and heroes to them, respectively. One of the things of these emotionally investing matches are the camera likes to cut to the crowd and show their reactions. You might think it's the same crowd that watched Jumbo, it's all those Japanese businessmen. But it's not. It's women. The majority of the crowd at these HUGE AJW events are women. Young women, middle-aged women, elderly women who are all huge fans of the product. Even when I watched modern joshi, there's far less women.(seems like they all go to Dragon Gate, DDT, and surprisingly, BJW shows now.)

But my point is, I look at the crowd, and I see a demographic of people WWE doesn't get to. And I think, why do they not even want to try to get that demographic? There's no guarantees that they'll get it, but why do they not want to even try? If they don't want to try, that's up to them. No one is forced to branch out to divisions they think are unsuccessful ventures for them/risks to take, and we know how WWE is about risks. But here's the most confusing part. If they don't want to do it, why don't they just kill the division off like the cruiserweights? Does the merch do well enough to justify it? Do they just 'have to have something there?' Why women? Why not bring back the juniors? Clearly there is some sort of draw for them to still be there. Now why do they think what they are currently pulling is the roof of that division's drawing power? What if you gave the divas division a lengthy, emotional story to tell between feuds? Doesn't have to take over the whole card. Could be 13 minute matches at most. And don't try to sit there and tell me WWE doesn't have time on their 3 hour show for that. If your divas can't do 13 minute matches because of the way you trained them? Send them to developmental until they can and replace them. There is not a lack of aspiring female wrestlers out there( for some unknown reason because I can't imagine WWE being a goal for someone who takes womens' wrestling seriously).

What if you have that interesting storyline? What if it builds a hero to girls and boys? What if that merch you were selling some of, you suddenly start selling much more of? Is that a huge profit risk for you? The shirts are already made. The tv time is already there.

I'm not going to watch Brie Bella in a 13 minute match, but I'm not going to watch tons of people in the WWE in a thirteen minute match. But she and her opponent should absolutely have that time weekly. And not just once because how much new shit in WWE has taken after just one week?
Did you block me or something? I sing the praises of that theme all the god dang time. It's the best.

I am the ultimate Rick Rude WCW theme fan.

Zach

Rude's WCW theme has quickly become my favorite theme OF ALL TIME. Rude's WCW run made my time watching all those WCW ppvs backwards entirely worth it and he was easily the most pleasant surprise in that entire company. I knew Austin/Flair/Steamboat/Macho Man were great in WCW, I didn't know Rude was BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM.

I love you, sir.

somedevil

I hope this is something Vince has actually heard, and isn't just something he's saying. The "Keep watching" just seems like a troll to keep people tuning in, though.

Whatever happens they have to realize that this is not an overnight thing. This has been going on for years and people are conditioned not to care about women's matches on Raw, Smackdown and Pay per view.

They need to give them storylines and good matches over a long period of time to make the fans to care again.

Thorakai

I keep reading it as "yea yea we heard you now shut up and just keep watching." You can change the hashtag to something like #StopRomanReigns and it will still make sense.

jmdajr

Whatever happens they have to realize that this is not an overnight thing. This has been going on for years and people are conditioned not to care about women's matches on Raw, Smackdown and Pay per view.

They need to give them storylines and good matches over a long period of time to make the fans to care again.
Yes

The only thing that gives me hope is that the issue is louder now than it has ever been. Between Brie and Paige and AJ, there's a lot of names making noise about it. Then there is the trend obviously. I think it'll be nothing in the end, but I think there's at least a chance it could turn into something.

Sabucin

I remember that time when Jericho was the Raw gm for a night and the main event booked by him was Trish Stratus vs Lita for the women's title (that match when Lita dive outside the ring and almost broke her neck).
That match however, was amazing.

I watch this old AJW stuff. I watch the Golden Age of womens' wrestling, where it made more money than mens wrestling and where it was the biggest it's ever been. Not everyone in the ring is a model. Everyone looks different. They don't all wear two pieces, they don't all have six packs, they don't all have make-up done by the same woman. And I watch this stuff, and I watch the crowd. The crowd is so hot for these matches. Dump and the Crush Gals are villains and heroes to them, respectively. One of the things of these emotionally investing matches are the camera likes to cut to the crowd and show their reactions. You might think it's the same crowd that watched Jumbo, it's all those Japanese businessmen. But it's not. It's women. The majority of the crowd at these HUGE AJW events are women. Young women, middle-aged women, elderly women who are all huge fans of the product. Even when I watched modern joshi, there's far less women.(seems like they all go to Dragon Gate, DDT, and surprisingly, BJW shows now.)

But my point is, I look at the crowd, and I see a demographic of people WWE doesn't get to. And I think, why do they not even want to try to get that demographic? There's no guarantees that they'll get it, but why do they not want to even try? If they don't want to try, that's up to them. No one is forced to branch out to divisions they think are unsuccessful ventures for them/risks to take, and we know how WWE is about risks. But here's the most confusing part. If they don't want to do it, why don't they just kill the division off like the cruiserweights? Does the merch do well enough to justify it? Do they just 'have to have something there?' Why women? Why not bring back the juniors? Clearly there is some sort of draw for them to still be there. Now why do they think what they are currently pulling is the roof of that division's drawing power? What if you gave the divas division a lengthy, emotional story to tell between feuds? Doesn't have to take over the whole card. Could be 13 minute matches at most. And don't try to sit there and tell me WWE doesn't have time on their 3 hour show for that. If your divas can't do 13 minute matches because of the way you trained them? Send them to developmental until they can and replace them. There is not a lack of aspiring female wrestlers out there( for some unknown reason because I can't imagine WWE being a goal for someone who takes womens' wrestling seriously).

What if you have that interesting storyline? What if it builds a hero to girls and boys? What if that merch you were selling some of, you suddenly start selling much more of? Is that a huge profit risk for you? The shirts are already made. The tv time is already there.

I'm not going to watch Brie Bella in a 13 minute match, but I'm not going to watch tons of people in the WWE in a thirteen minute match. But she and her opponent should absolutely have that time weekly. And not just once because how much new shit in WWE has taken after just one week?

I am the ultimate Rick Rude WCW theme fan.

this is all solid truths. On the money i'm thinkin

Fox318

I remember that time when Jericho was the Raw gm for a night and the main event booked by him was Trish Stratus vs Lita for the women's title (that match when Lita dive outside the ring and almost broke her neck).
That match however, was amazing.

Wasn't WWE forced to main event that match because of injuries to other wrestlers?

The only thing that gives me hope is that the issue is louder now than it has ever been. Between Brie and Paige and AJ, there's a lot of names making noise about it. Then there is the trend obviously. I think it'll be nothing in the end, but I think there's at least a chance it could turn into something.
It all stems from what took place at Stardom over the week....

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What does it say about your product that Gail Kim willingly took a huge pay cut to go work for TNA? Or that she left the ring in the middle of a match and no one noticed?

Zach

Data, as someone who missed pretty much ALL of WCW, could I in theory go back and watch the pre nitro ppvs and get a good idea of what was good about it? Or am I missing something by not being to see the programs like WCW Saturday Night and WCW pro etc?

Watch:

Clash of the Champions I
The Great American Bash '88
Starrcade '88: True Gritt

Clash of the Champions VI
The Great American Bash '89
Clash of the Champions IX

Clash of the Champions XVIII
SuperBrawl II
Beach Blast '92
Clash of the Champions XIX
Clash of the Champions XX