• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Everyone was talking about the 2008 game on 360 and PS3. you were the one thinking of the PS2 one.

My god. I'm sorry. I feel old. Just checked and the game I was talking about came out in 2003.

256px-Sands_of_time_cover.jpg

Sorry, everyone. The last page of arguing was totally superfluous.

Oh Nash, you fucking carny.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2wf1qi/til_kevin_nash_held_an_auction_where_the_winner/

5/20/2008 * On eBay, there is an auction for a fan (and up to 8 guests of his or her choosing) to have dinner with TNA wrestler Kevin Nash near his home in Daytona Beach, Florida. Perks include a five-hour visit with Nash, “a full skirt steak dinner,” Nash telling stories and answering your questions, “smoke one cigar with Kevin Nash,” and a picture taken with Nash which he will sign there. The starting bid of the auction is only $2,300 and it ends this Monday. There are no bids.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New family dog has come home today, and he's slotted right into our life. We were expecting him to cry or to be unsure about everything, but he had a little sniff, had a little play, and now he's just chilling at our feet as we watch TV. He's only 10 weeks old too. Mind blown.

Enjoy. Dogs are dabes.

Name? Will you let us name him? I think Rusev is the obvious choice.

XenoRaven

I understand that everyone likes different things, and I'm ok with that.

But game discussion in this thread confounds me a lot of the time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Saejima is that dude that makes Yakuza fuckin' dope.
OpHCdrh.jpg

310k6g4.jpg

I like Saejima a lot too. His introductory bits in 4 are some of the best told storytelling in the history if video games. The only video game I've seen touch on the realities of getting out of jail many, many years later rather than just 'rrrr i am tough former prisoner.' Him freaking out about phones and whatnot. And the stuff with Haruka.

I have no idea why it didn't get more attention for all that. Much better 'emotional resonance'™ than anything in Gone Home or Braid or Fez or whatever journalists like to uphold as some sort of sign that games are super serious.

Sands of Time was great, the sequels were dumb, PoP 08 was AMAZING, and Forgotten Sands was the best of them all.

Also I like how ModBot was used to tell people to not complain about mods

Xater

I just started playing Hand of Fate and this game super neat. It's a rogue like combined with deck building and Batman combat.

I like Saejima a lot too. His introductory bits in 4 are some of the best told storytelling in the history if video games. The only video game I've seen touch on the realities of getting out of jail many, many years later rather than just 'rrrr i am tough former prisoner.' Him freaking out about phones and whatnot. And the stuff with Haruka.

I have no idea why it didn't get more attention for all that. Much better 'emotional resonance'™ than anything in Gone Home or Braid or Fez or whatever journalists like to uphold as some sort of sign that games are super serious.

I really liked his storyline. And then
IT WAS RUBBER BULLETS LOL.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I understand that everyone likes different things, and I'm ok with that.

But game discussion in this thread confounds me a lot of the time.

Liking different things really explains it all. There's no other way to explain why Beef is the conductor of the Sonic Shame Train (or at least tries to be) on GAF. Some people just like Sonic's sexy mpreg fanfics.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

He was too gruff, too much of a tough guy. They didn't want to understand. I really enjoyed that and the flashbacks to the 80s a lot.

I really like his storyline. And then
IT WAS RUBBER BULLETS LOL.

yeah.................

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well now I know there's a thing called mpreg.

Enjoy that rabbit hole

EDIT: Beef you know I don't mean bad by it. I'm a conductor of the Gears of War Shame Train which always runs on the rails. Choo choo! Gears of War is the finest franchise of all time if you ignore Judgment. Even then Judgment had a couple redeeming qualities.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I liked Tanimura a lot too. He was probably my favorite character because I thought he was real Han Solo-y, but Saejima probably had the best execution of story in the entire Yakuza series. I do hate that the game gets lauded by a lot of online outlets for 'omg japan' when it's strengths aren't necessarily that. It could be set in India, and the location would be just as amazing because of the amount of time and effort they put into it. It's like a smaller scale GTA where, yes it's not as big, but there's so many enterable buildings with so much detail.

But my favorite part is always the characters and stories. Even if it gets a little J-Drama/soap opera-ish at times. Nobody does that, and I'm glad somebody is because while it can be corny
lol twin brother
it's still constantly engaging and makes you want to know what happens.

I loved the little off-beat side stories talking about Tanimura's upbringing, Saejima adapting to modern day Japan, and Hannah and Akiyama.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My Achilles' Heel is shopping in Yakuza games. God damn I love picking foods. And drinks.

The worst about the Yakuza games is that Kiryu never fucking checks to make sure that the bad guy he's just beaten doesn't have a gun on him. Whatanidiot.

Zach

You guys are getting me hyped for this Saejima fella. When does he show up in 4? I'm almost done playing as guy #1, I think. Also, is Saejima in Yakuza 3? I played that and don't remember him. >_>

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are getting me hyped for this Saejima fella. When does he show up in 4? I'm almost done playing as guy #1, I think. Also, is Saejima in Yakuza 3? I played that and don't remember him. >_>

He's Guy #2

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As someone who played Yakuza from the start, the best part about Saejima is throwing fat fucks. Finally, you got revenge on those little fuckers. The god damn Hammer Bros of Yakuza.
My Achilles' Heel is shopping in Yakuza games. God damn I love picking foods. And drinks.

No game does in-game alcohol better.

And in-game magazines.

The fucking in-game magazines is what I'm most hyped about with Yakuza 0. Show me 80s Shonen Jump. I'm hoping to see some Dump Matsumoto covers in the Don Quijote.

Messier75

Neo Member
The inevitable Master Fenix Collection will undoubtedly get me to finally pull the trigger on a XBONE as the first Gears got me to buy a 360. Active reload, chainsaws and stomping tickers all day son.

Sephzilla

The inevitable Master Fenix Collection will undoubtedly get me to finally pull the trigger on a XBONE as the first Gears got me to buy a 360. Active reload, chainsaws and stomping tickers all day son.

Wait and make sure that the collection actually fucking works first before you jump all in on the console and game.

#NeverForgetMasterChiefCollection

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Gears 3 was the most content-rich game of the series. Really almost perfect. My only complaint is how they ended up making Bernie into a willowy waif as opposed to how she was portrayed in the books (yes books god damn it) where she was a mountain of muscle and meanness. In Gears 3 she just ended up looking like a witch.

Wait and make sure that the collection actually fucking works first before you jump all in on the console and game.

MCC works fine for me, I don't know why you have issues. Depends on why you buy it as well - I bought Halo MCC because it had 4 Halo campaigns. I got that and had no issues from day one, but I can see how the Halo kids that subsist on H2 multi had issues.

Eh, his storyline is good until the stupid plot twist, but gameplay-wise, I thought he was the least interesting. Tanimura had my favourite fighting style, with the emphasis on countering and grappling.

It's always the non-Sonic fans that bring that ugly stuff to the surface and then yell "LOL SONIC, RIGHT"

Meanwhile the Sonic fanbase is just playing games
Enjoy that rabbit hole

EDIT: Beef you know I don't mean bad by it. I'm a conductor of the Gears of War Shame Train which always runs on the rails. Choo choo! Gears of War is the finest franchise of all time if you ignore Judgment. Even then Judgment had a couple redeeming qualities.

I actually agree, I loved Gears of War. But I couldn't stop myself from audibly saying "fucking why" when I saw a poster for Judgment.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Thing that pissed me off more about Dead Souls wasn't playable Majima being ruined. It was god damn playable Goda being ruined. The coolest dude in Yakuza history is playable and it's in a shitty zombie simulator?

That's how you're gonna treat the Dragon of Kansai?

He wasn't in 3. None of the playable characters of 4 were in 3.

Sephzilla

MCC works fine for me, I don't know why you have issues. Depends on why you buy it as well - I bought Halo MCC because it had 4 Halo campaigns. I got that and had no issues from day one, but I can see how the Halo kids that subsist on H2 multi had issues.

The campaigns in MCC are mostly fine, its the multi that got hosed the most. The last handful of patches they put out actually made that part worse for me :(

And then theres 343 saying that most people are playing multiplayer on dedicated servers already, which is practically a lie since a lot of people over on HaloGAF have been able to replicate things that verify the game is running peer to peer.

They're turned off by reality? It's not like that scene was done in a positive light. It was going somewhere game developers are afraid to go despite wanting to cover deep ends of the spectrum.
Well when combined with most people's notions about Japan...

Not that I disagree I know full well what the developers were going for

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Judgment was an unfortunate stain on the franchise. Not that it was bad, it just didn't have the same spirit and felt uninspired. There were good parts, but it wasn't a cohesive "fuck this is amazing" like you got out of Gears 1, 2, and 3. Gears 3 was just unbelievably dense with content. "Like this map in multi? Cool you can play against bots if you like. Or Beast Mode. Or Horde Mode. Enjoy! Oh yeah, and you can do this with EVERY MAP"

Sephzilla

I like Gears, but I would have loved it if the game was a bit more FnP and self aware of how stupid it is.

I also want a game that's entire about Cole Train.

XenoRaven

Gears 3 was the most content-rich game of the series. Really almost perfect. My only complaint is how they ended up making Bernie into a willowy waif as opposed to how she was portrayed in the books (yes books god damn it) where she was a mountain of muscle and meanness. In Gears 3 she just ended up looking like a witch.

The multiplayer in general has issues, especially if you're trying to play with friends in matchmaking.

Also, I don't know if anyone ever brought it up but in H2A campaign, dead enemies would disappear if you weren't looking at them and then when you turned around they would blatantly pop back in. Not a huge deal since I never played Halo 2 to be immersed or whatever, but still silly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like Gears, but I would have loved it if the game was a bit more FnP and self aware of how stupid it is.

I also want a game that's entire about Cole Train.

It's not stupid, though. It's serious. I wish they wouldn't try so hard i.e. "MARIAAAA" but at the same time, nothing can compare to how awkward and ham-handed MGS4's romance was, so Dom's MARIAAAAA moments look like Shakespeare vs rejected Pauly Shore pitches.

I don't want another Gears.

I want another Space Marine.

Man I wish. Great 40k feel. Loved it. Really wish it had done better - the dudes at Relic discussed how Titus' arc would have panned out.

XenoRaven

Judgment Overrun mode was fucking amazing fuck the haters.

I have no opinion on the rest of Judgment because I didn't play any other mode for more than 10 minutes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Judgment Overrun mode was fucking amazing fuck the haters.

I have no opinion on the rest of Judgment because I didn't play any other mode for more than 10 minutes.

I liked the idea of a score attack but at the same time, that was the whole game. The "missing episode" from Gears 3 in Judgment was amazing, but served to highlight how poor Judgment's story was done compared to that taste of 3 you get.

Sephzilla

It's not stupid, though. It's serious. I wish they wouldn't try so hard i.e. "MARIAAAA" but at the same time, nothing can compare to how awkward and ham-handed MGS4's romance was, so Dom's MARIAAAAA moments look like Shakespeare vs rejected Pauly Shore pitches.

I guess that's kind of what I meant, it felt like it tried to hard to be series when it could have laid back a little more.

I don't want another Gears.

I want another Space Marine.

FUCKING THIS

WH40k Space Marine was an under appreciated gem

Messier75

Neo Member

Fair point. I hovered over an order button when Walmart had that Master Chief bundle at Christmas, but the continued reports of issues made me close the browser.

Vince McMahon said:

My main quibble with the story was I felt they never really addressed why the Locust Queen was human. Maybe I didn't pay attention, but it also didn't matter because it played so well I didn't care. I played through every campaign at least twice.

jmdajr

Never played Judgement. I did dig all the other Gear games though. A lot.

Gears 1 was probably one of the best experiences I had last gen. It was one of those "holy shit am I really playing this?" moments.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My main quibble with the story was I felt they never really addressed why the Locust Queen was human. Maybe I didn't pay attention, but it also didn't matter because it played so well I didn't care. I played through every campaign at least twice.

Nope, they never really did. Great campaigns, and Marcus Fenix is probably one of the best dudes of all time just because his voice is incredibly good and the shit he says is great. For my money, the only other person who yells "GOD...DAMMIT!" as good is Vince McMahon.

Sephzilla

Nope, they never really did. Great campaigns, and Marcus Fenix is probably one of the best dudes of all time just because his voice is incredibly good and the shit he says is great. For my money, the only other person who yells "GOD...DAMMIT!" as good is Vince McMahon.

What's extra funny is that Marcus is voiced by Bender from Futurama

also, I just want to say this - "IT'S A GIANT WORM"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom