• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheace

Should never have left the guy in the room after the first time *imo*, supposed friend or not. Drunk or not that's inexcusable. Hard to imagine someone would try to solve this by just suggesting to quietly sleep in the other bed, I'd be hard pressed to not start yelling if I found out that was happening to someone I cared about.

MrBadger

I got robbed about 3 weeks ago (not saying this is equivalent, before someone points that out). I still played video games that day. Are people supposed to curl up in the corner or something? What are you suggesting?

It's a relatable experience. I've had bad experiences and I hate people who expect it to define who I am. People can still carry on their life as normal because if anything it seriously helps.

Nudull

Banned
Talks about getting molested.

Tweets about Pokemon moments later.

I see you're not above adding to the fear and anxiety that sexual assault victims go through with coming forward. And people wonder why cases like these are so rarely reported. :/

Oynox

Why can't they solve this problem like normal human beings, without destroying someone's life? Seriously, it is ridiculous. He would have gotten enough punishment from the conviction if accused.

Of course it is no good thing, but it is not a novelty.

Why can't they solve this problem like normal human beings, without destroying someone's life? Seriously, it is ridiculous. He would have gotten enough punishment from the conviction if accused.

If he gets convicted of anything he's going to be getting all he's getting now plus more.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

alright i'm out

Wavebossa

Are you trying to say it didn't happen... because even he (Hyuga is admitting it).
Or are you trying to say it doesn't matter because she's trying not to focus on it?

Are you in her world? Do you know what she's going through at this moment?

Nah, you're just trying to be edgy for the internet.

foh breh

Anung

Un Rama

Jesus Christ I should not have come into this thread. No words.

Booze breaks down whatever social safety net you constructed to keep an otherwise uncontrollable and horrible impulse in check. A person needs to be self-aware enough to understand if they have these impulses and do everything to control them. Whatever alcohol unleashes was there to begin with in my experience so stating 'I was just drunk' helps no-one on his end.

If you see something like this go down with a friend or even your own significant other, you need to act stat and not wait for an authority figure to do it for you.

Jesus.....what is with this thread?

Did you even consider the victim before you wrote this out?

MrBadger

Curious what you mean by "it's not a novelty". If this kind of sickening shit happens all the time, surely shining lots of attention on it is a good thing? Not that people need to be told that being fucking sexually molested is "no good thing" but I have no issues with singling out people for doing it to prevent others from doing it. Plus do you really think his life is ruined now? His Smash Bros career is ruined for sure, and he deserves that.

Jesus Christ I should not have come into this thread. No words.

My thoughts exactly.

Wavebossa

So its abnormal for a human being to call the police after being sexually molested?

Its too early in my day for this nonsense. I'm out

Jobbs

Banned
I was sort of expecting a mild tire fire and instead got a raging dumpster blaze. :-/

It seems impossible to underestimate the quantity and severity of warped views represented by ostensibly mostly young men

Oynox

If he gets convicted of anything he's going to be getting all he's getting now plus more.

That might be true but in my opinion no one deserves to be publicly shamed. But I forgot America's legal system in which they also register sex offenders to offer information where they live etc. However we probably should not discuss the American legal system right now.

I am sure such misdemeanor takes places in other places as well, at like every other party (which does not justify it, of course), drunk people behave wrong, they get punished for it and that's it. No need for public shaming in our civilized societies in my opinion.

Boke1879

WHAT?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Banning a molester from returning to a fucking videogame tournament is destroying their life?

Are you serious?

you dumbass.

So he will be arrested right?

depends if he fucks off back to mexico first. not sure what would happen then.

That might be true but in my opinion no one deserves to be publicly shamed. But I forgot America's legal system in which they also register sex offenders to offer information where they live etc. However we probably should not discuss the American legal system right now.

I am sure such misdemeanor takes places in other places as well, at like every other party (which does not justify it, of course), drunk people behave wrong, they get punished for it and that's it. No need for public shaming in our civilized societies in my opinion.

you probably also shouldn't molest people in civilized societies either, maybe you should go sit down and have a nice think about what you're saying

sensui-tomo

its not public shaming to let everyone know that guy is a sexual offender. Its knowledge meant to be public so people can defend themselves.

Uh yes...he does deserve the shame. So does your posts in this thread.

Jobbs

Banned

wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh???

do you understand how serious this crime is? he should be banned for life and do jail time. This isn't an "oops, my bad" situation

I wouldn't want to attend or participate in any event where he was allowed to participate

Gestault

Holy shit, that situation is horrifying. Getting the police involved was the right thing to do. DOUBLY so as a repeated attempt.

Boke1879

If he didn't want to be shamed he shouldn't have done this horrible act. Good on the victim for reporting it AND telling her story. people need to know this stuff goes on more than we would like to know or admit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

hahaha what is going on in this thread

holy crap

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

No need to inform families with young children that there's a sexual predator in their neighborhood? I love the mentality where there's more concern for the sex offender, than anyone else.

Civilized society my ass. More like a society with no backbone.

Rising_Hei

Why does people blame things on alcohol? when i get all drunk i never do things like this and i'm still myself.

Guess that alcohol only reveals how stupid are they on the inside, huh?

Also, this shit does happen everywhere.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

One reason of many as to why many people that are abused never come forward. This line of thinking is sickening.

MrBadger

Then stop trying to fucking justify it! And stop insinuating that it isn't serious because it happens all the time. Maybe this kind of shit is so common because people don't come forward about it and in turn other people don't take it seriously?

Look, I totally agree that public shaming is often unjust but this guy didn't post a slightly offensive tweet or make a mediocre movie, he sexually molested someone. And that is no good thing.

zoukka

But the reality is that most offenders do not get punished at all since the incidents are rarely reported. Public shaming is the only effective way to punish someone in these cases. It serves as a warning to others that this person is dangerous. Criminal justice treats sex crimes like stealing candy from a store.

Oynox

do you understand how serious this crime is? he should be banned for life and do jail time. This isn't an "oops, my bad" situation

Yes I do and that is exactly what should happen to him. Banned for life and enjoy some time in jail if it the judge comes to the conclusion that it is appropriate.

DrArchon

Wow, what a piece of shit. Good on his sponsor for dropping his ass ASAP. Unacceptable behavior, no matter how many drinks he's had.

Our society is civilized because people who sexually abuse other people are and should be publicly shamed. This isn't something you just sweep under the rug.

Keep in mind this person was allowed into the room as a concern for their own safety. He repaid this by molesting the poor girl TWICE. He should be ashamed of himself especially after using his drunkenness as an excuse.

People should be aware that he is a dangerous individual. Or should we just let this one slide because he had a promising esports career before fucking it all up

That alcohol excuse is so desperately phony, but I am sure his "apology" will win over some sympathizers.

This is an open and shut case right?

low-G

Why does people blame things on alcohol? when i get all drunk i never do things like this and i'm still myself.

Guess that alcohol only reveals how stupid are they on the inside, huh?

Also, this shit does happen everywhere.

Some people use alcohol as an excuse to be an asswipe. Only makes it a little easier to do things you were 90% going to do anyways.

Nudull

Banned

"Won't anyone think of the poor, defenseless rapist?"

Jesus fucking christ, this thread.

Yes I do and that is exactly what should happen to him. Banned for life and enjoy some time in jail if it the judge comes to the conclusion that it is appropriate.

You have to take into consideration that there aren't conflicting reports here, it's not a he-said-she-said scenario that is nebulous and potentially false. The offender has already publicly admitted to his actions immediately and on top of that, he did it in a room packed with witnesses.

There's no question regarding his guilt, so that doesn't apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom