• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you live? That would definitely be uncommon and suprising where I live in Canada.

Molestation was definitely not common among my group of friends in our youth

I only knew one guy capable of something like that and even he never acted on it

Geez maybe alcohol culture needs to be looked at here as well with regards to these events

No one should be getting blackout drunk around so many people.

Sorry not trying to derail i just find it disturbing

Like I said, I've been around bad alcohol situations very often throughout my childhood but I don't think that's the solution.

Acting out, like getting shitfaced and so on, are necessary pressure release valves in an increasingly crammed and therefore stiff social environment. I think they took all the precautions they possibly did by the look of it. Controlled environment etc.

You can't always eradicate or predict every single bad thing that happens to people out there, that's life sadly enough. We'll just find another way to shit on each others' lives after eliminating one culprit.

Tagyhag

I wonder how the boyfriend slept through this. He must be angry that no-one woke him up when his girlfriend was being assaulted right next to him, I'd feel sick.

She was probably afraid. For all we know it could have ended up with someone dead.

Soup Bar

He does sound like he's only sorry because he got caught. Stop drinking, and keep your hands to yourself. Good thing for her it didn't go any further, but it sounds like it could have.

Like I said, I've been around bad alcohol situations very often throughout my childhood but I don't think that's the solution.

Acting out, like getting shitfaced and so on, are necessary pressure release valves in an increasingly crammed and therefore stiff social environment. I think they took all the precautions they possibly did by the look of it. Controlled environment etc.

You can't always eradicate or predict every single bad thing that happens to people out there, that's life sadly enough. We'll just find another way to shit on each others' lives after eliminating one culprit.

Ive just been of the opinion that there is zero reason for anyone to get full blackout drunk

And that just from years of personal experience and I had a support system of great friends that took care of me in my worst moments of yaking and spouting gibberish

MrS

Banned
His nose, his eyes, his ears - all that shit would be scattered.
Spoken like a true internet tough guy

I hope the law deals with the would-be rapist scumbag accordingly. He is a blight on the gaming community. Hope the poor girl will be ok too and gets all the help and support she needs.

dickroach

i got a prettttty good grasp on "bad alcohol situations"
some people just become absolute pieces of shit when they're drunk. if they do they should probably stop drinking. but there's a reason they started drinking that much in the first place, so it's hard for them to stop.

Alucrid

Banned
I am not familiar with the Nevada law which probably will be applicable, but if the law requires jail in this case then there is no question about a sentencing to go to prison.

That is truly frightening.

i think it's more frightening that you think she should have been muzzled from speaking out about being sexually assaulted so that this guy's smash career isn't ruined

Rudiano

Banned
I doubt he was just "drunk", he was probably on other stuff which is why he even did it twice and doesnt remember doing it

I doubt he was just "drunk", he was probably on other stuff which is why he even did it twice and doesnt remember doing it

Considering how deliberate ot was from the story

I mean twice? Maybe he really was fucked up to be so vile a second time. The first time should have been enough for him to get thrown out

j0hnnix

While this is a horrible thing.. What is up with the boyfriend just sleeping through it... WTF.. If some dude came in-between me and my GF id throw him out the bed and thats if i was in a good mood and did not know this had happen.

Vex_

Banned

I hope the law deals with the would-be rapist scumbag accordingly. He is a blight on the gaming community. Hope the poor girl will be ok too and gets all the help and support she needs.

No. That doesn't apply to me. I'm sorry if I spooked you. I didn't mean too.

In this particular moment. You are waking up, and you're SO is laying right next to you, and is scared for her well being.

You mean to tell me in the heat of the moment (as a human being) you wouldn't respond to that?

Get the fuck outta here. If that makes me an "internet tough guy", so be it. Fuck that. I don't wanna hear that bullshit.

Rudiano

Banned
Considering how deliberate ot was from the story

I mean twice? Maybe he really was fucked up to be so vile a second time. The first time should have been enough for him to get thrown out

Thats what I mean, a friend wouldnt do that...and then again after she had already moved away from him, which is why I think he must have been taking other stuff which totally f*cked his brain that night

Ive just been of the opinion that there is zero reason for anyone to get full blackout drunk

And that just from years of personal experience and I had a support system of great friends that took care of me in my worst moments of yaking and spouting gibberish

I mean I agree with you on the blackout drunk part, but you also have to know how fine that line can get. One too many of your boys show up after that 3rd beer or whatever, next thing you know you're telling a 6'6" bouncer to go fuck himself :/

Again, I think it's up to the individual to control themselves properly. Sadly enough, the older I get, the more I realize the average person is too stupid to make their own decisions.

I know alcohol is not an excuse but if a drunk girl decided to grind on me while sleeping, and i decided to go for it, I may end up being one who ends up getting arrested if she made a complaint later and the excuse of the girl would be that she was too drunk to be consenting and it would probably stick.

So if for example she did something with him, would she be the one taking advantage of him in this case if he decided to complain? Just a thought experiment.

Still, i dont understand why they didnt kick him out the first time. He is already embarrassing himself, he should have been taken away to at least give the girl some safety.

I mean I agree with you on the blackout drunk part, but you also have to know how fine that line can get. One too many of your boys show up after that 3rd beer or whatever, next thing you know you're telling a 6'6" bouncer to go fuck himself :/

Again, I think it's up to the individual to control themselves properly. Sadly enough, the older I get, the more I realize the average person is too stupid to make their own decisions.

Yeah i obviously have the benefit of experience and perspective lol

If i traveled back in time to tell all this to my younger self i bet i would have still partied too hard here and there

I know alcohol is not an excuse but if a drunk girl decided to grind on me while sleeping, and i decided to go for it, I may end up being one who ends up getting arrested if she made a complaint later and the excuse of the girl would be that she was too drunk to be consenting and it would probably stick.

So if for example she did something with him, would she be the one taking advantage of him in this case if he decided to complain? Just a thought experiment.

Uh

Gestault

Ok, this is just pointless piling on. Nothing he did gives the obvious sign that anything other than alcohol was involved, and this makes an odd deflection of "the bad drugs made him do it."

If you think alcohol can't (a) change people's behaviors and (b) cause windows of memory blackout, you don't have the life experience to contribute on the topic.

sensui-tomo

Still, i dont understand why they didnt kick him out the first time. He is already embarrassing himself, he should have been taken away to at least give the girl some safety.

....... yikes this thread continues to get worse.

Dude

This isnt the place for hypotheticals that flip the scenario on the victim

The guy admitted his wrongdoing

Also... What the fuck

dickroach

look at his texts in OP. he knows he did some fucked up shit. drunk is an excuse for calling someone an asshole, not an excuse for molesting someone

Mentok

Banned

You're telling me you wake up with some perv lying between you and your SO, feeling her up and you would just say "HEY! STOP THAT! I'll call the police!" and that's it? Really?

In any case, the friend who separated them the first time clearly didn't understand the situation (or was drunk himself). Your friend just got molested, but you kept the guy in the room?

What a fucked up situation. I don't care how drunk you are, you're responsible for your actions.

Pheace

He does sound like he's only sorry because he got caught. Stop drinking, and keep your hands to yourself. Good thing for her it didn't go any further, but it sounds like it could have.

The fact that he even thought for a moment an excuse like that was going to fly makes me suspicious that this might not have even been the first time for him.

MrS

Banned
No. That doesn't apply to me. I'm sorry if I spooked you. I didn't mean too.

In this particular moment. You are waking up, and you're SO is laying right next to you, and is scared for her well being.

You mean to tell me in the heat of the moment (as a human being) you wouldn't respond to that?

Get the fuck outta here. If that makes me an "internet tough guy", so be it. Fuck that. I don't wanna hear that bullshit.
shitpost that misunderstood my post

Most men would react the same way in the SO's position but that does't mean we need a blow by blow of how you would handle the situation, Vex. That's all I'm saying. I agree with what your actions would be and I'd do the same.

Vex_

Banned
You're telling me you wake up with some perv lying between you and your SO, feeling her up and you would just say "HEY! STOP THAT! I'll call the police!" and that's it? Really?

In any case, the friend who separated them the first time clearly didn't understand the situation (or was drunk himself). Your friend just got molested, but you kept the guy in the room?

What a fucked up situation. I don't care how drunk you are, you're responsible for your actions.

Exactly what I'm saying. In the spur of the moment, you have to protect that which you love. The bf was really REALLY drunk I assume...

That situation was REALLY REALLY serious. It required a SERIOUS reaction. Period.

Trey

Gotta know how to handle your drink, young blood.

I hope the young lady can recover from this episode. These things can be a harrowing experience.

Rudiano

Banned
Ok, this is just pointless piling on. Nothing he did gives the obvious sign that anything other than alcohol was involved, and this makes an odd deflection of "the bad drugs made him do it."

If you think alcohol can't (a) change people's behaviors and (b) cause windows of memory blackout, you don't have the life experience to contribute on the topic.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Been pissed out of my head plenty of times over 20 years, but sorry for not having the life experience as you do

Mentok

Banned
Most men would react the same way in the SO's position but that does't mean we need a blow by blow of how you would handle the situation, Vex. That's all I'm saying. I agree with what your actions would be and I'd do the same.

Yeah I misread your post when you called him an "internet tough guy"....okay then...

Booze breaks down whatever social safety net you constructed to keep an otherwise uncontrollable and horrible impulse in check. A person needs to be self-aware enough to understand if they have these impulses and do everything to control them. Whatever alcohol unleashes was there to begin with in my experience so stating 'I was just drunk' helps no-one on his end.

If you see something like this go down with a friend or even your own significant other, you need to act stat and not wait for an authority figure to do it for you.

Well said.

Not quite relevant, but I remember someone I know once showed me a message he got from a girl, where she expressed how upset and concerned she was about how he acted at a house party the night before. He did literally the exact same shit as Hyuga (complete with getting in the second bed after being pulled away by others). He wouldn't dare do anything like this while sober, but it didn't stop him from finding the whole thing hilarious, and seemingly being proud to show off what happened. The rest of us were just baffled as to why he wanted us to know about it.

While some people are just more impulsive on alcohol...others are just plain fucked up, and booze removes what little filter they have of their true selves.

Nairume

Banned
It was actually kinda ominous following him on twitter, because a few hours before Hyuga started tweeting about what happened, he was posting about wanting to go to the party where he probably got wasted and met up with vikky and the others.

There are different kinds of drunk and alcohol does not affect everyone the same way. So the boyfriend could have been blackout drunk meaning he was actually unconscious and a car coming through the window wouldn't wake him up.

Just because some of you are apparently always in a cat-like state of readiness when drunk does not mean that applies to everyone.

Gestault

We are absolutely all responsible for our actions. I hope you understand how outright assault, even in a situation like this, is a "great" way to complicate any legal action against the original scumbag. Don't confuse violent impulses with righteousness, and think for one second that will actually help the person harmed in a situation like this.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Been pissed out of my head plenty of times over 20 years, but sorry for not having the life experience as you do

You did need to hear it.

Trey

not this post and not that username.

dickroach

It was actually kinda ominous following him on twitter, because a few hours before Hyuga started tweeting about what happened, he was posting about wanting to go to the party where he probably got wasted and met up with vikky and the others.

i dunno the scope of the party but it kinda sounds like he had intentions, regardless of the alcohol

mocoworm

The guy fucked up and got caught. He has to deal with the consequences. He has committed a crime. Alcohol is no excuse. Nothing about what he did is acceptable, and that is why he has been banned from tournaments and lost his sponsorships.

She has every right to tell people what happened. In fact, she should be commended for her actions in going public.

i dunno the scope of the party but it kinda sounds like he had intentions, regardless of the alcohol

Correct. Alcohol doesn't make you do things you would never do ... it removes inhibitions to allow you to do the things you want to do. Same with some other types of drugs.

I've been in a somewhat similar situation and the cops sided with me in this scenario. Another person grabbing your lady/guy physically is considered assault and as another citizen you can interfere at this point. I smashed a then-acquaintances nose about 10 years ago for very physically and publicly drunkenly grabbing my girlfriend while I was in the bathroom. You can't always put yourself first and worry about consequences when someone else's well being is at stake but specifically in cases like this, it'll be hard for cops to side with someone (sexually potentially) assaulting your girlfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom