• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

Haunted

As clever as the cipher and codes in this are, the real genius (for me) comes from the level design of the 3D environments, the platforming coming together perfectly when viewed from all four sides.

New Game + spoilers
Something the first person view really drives home perfectly. Using the sunglasses was my big holy shit moment in this game, not the numbers or the tetrominos or the alphabet.

/level design whore

edit²: and another holy shit moment when
I went into first person in the submerged glitch room at the bell tower. sheeeit

CHC

So what's the verdict on bugginess? Should I buy this now or wait for a patch.

Not usually someone who tends to encounters rare / horrible bugs for what it's worth....

Ce-Lin

Not usually someone who tends to encounters rare / horrible bugs for what it's worth....

it's playable... but the actual build 1.04 is very CPU intensive (bug) compared to 1.03 and the hitching/framerate judder is worse. If only we could revert to 1.03....

Ledsen

Deciphering the alphabet solely based on the very first conversation where it's used was pretty fun. Took me about an hour but the feeling I got when I found that key word to break the whole thing wide open was pretty amazing. The first thing I realized was that
the only direction in which there was a single space between words was vertically, thus that had to be the writing direction. The fact that all the text was top-aligned also hinted that it was up-to-down as opposed to down-to-up.
After that it was just a matter of checking for "keys" so to speak:
first the only two letters that appeared by themselves ("a" and "i" obviously), then double letters, short often repeated words etc, and of course a little luck. "will" was the word that gave me my eureka moment.
I suppose there's an easier way?

Exuro

So is the stuttering that bad? Been itching to play an indie platform/puzzler and since pid isn't jiving with me I'm looking at getting this.

Exuro

Well I bought it and played it for a little over an hour. I can see the stuttering/non smoothness that people are talking about but it's not a dealbreaker(but at the same time would be nice to be fixed). It's mostly noticable when you shift perspectives. Have gotten 9 cubes and two anticubes so far. Game is really fun.

The doors for the 4 and 8 cubes at the "hub" don't seem to have a lot in them, but maybe I missed out on stuff there. Also blackholes suck.

Ce-Lin

It has a lot of CPU utilization on mine, but plays quite smoothly with the modified DLL.

before the 1.04 version the game only used 5-10% CPU at most, what are the chances both the fan-made patch and the official 1.04 patch bump CPU usage to 70% ? it smells like the dev took the fan-altered dll and used it shamelessly for the latest patch, but to make things fun the official patch doesn't fix hitching compared to the fan-made dll, hilarious, FEZ 1.04 now uses almost the same CPU power as folding@home.

EasyMode

Well I bought it and played it for a little over an hour. I can see the stuttering/non smoothness that people are talking about but it's not a dealbreaker(but at the same time would be nice to be fixed). It's mostly noticable when you shift perspectives. Have gotten 9 cubes and two anticubes so far. Game is really fun.

The dll at this link fixed the stutter for me:

You can test this workaround to avoid judder in FEZ

http://maldotex.blogspot.com.es/2013/05/smoother-fez.html

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I know I had some places still to check out,
I went along and 'beaten' the game. Very cool ending. Time to enter NG+ in really dive into this uncoding stuff, I guess.

CHC

OK so I purchased... Game plays great, it's really fun and I have had zero noticeable issues at all, after about an hour of time.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I know I had some places still to check out,
I went along and 'beaten' the game. Very cool ending. Time to enter NG+ in really dive into this uncoding stuff, I guess.

That was me of the past. Once I did get into new game + and down came the glasses.... My world is shattered. Oh. My. Oh. My. Now I know I need to take a break for the moment...

I found a treasure map, so how do I use it?

Also, what's the deal with the telescopes? 80% of the time it's daytime so I can't even use the thing.
Do I input the directions outside the telescope or while looking inside?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
im stuck here =/ ive got 21 cubes, 5 anti cubes, and no where to go! did i just miss a doorway somwhere?

You definitely still have places to go. Take a good look at your map. Have all 4 sides of the warp?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Gah, I'm getting this nagging feeling that even at the max percent there is still something(s) hidden in the game. At
209.4%. We have Fish saying in AMA on Reddit that there are still things unsolved in the game, and that the images that were discovered in the soundtrack are still completely unsolved. Also, the 3D glasses after finishing the game with all the cubes. If everything is done why bother putting the stereoscopic view there? Not to mention that the first person view felt somewhat tacked on in that it was barely used for any puzzles, and the second solution in the monolith room requiring first person view had to be brute forced; no one has found the solution in game yet.

Salsa

there is definetly stuff left to resolve

thing is, there's probably people a lot brighter and with a lot more time than me going to insane lenghts to try to figure everything out already

zkylon

zkylewd
without going too deep into spoilers or anything, I thought there was stuff that took people months to figure out?

or something?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I suppose there's an easier way?

An easier way? Yes. A more satisfying or fun way? Probably not! For me going through it for the first time, I did exactly what you did. My face when I figured out
WARP ROOM
was a delight. Love the depth in this game, I can see why it polarises people who don't want to put the effort into things like that though.

syllogism

Definitely prefer la-mulana to this. The door mechanic constantly messes with the flow; the world is disconnected and doesn't make sense (as in backtracking and finishing one area completely before moving on is a pain); platforming is simple and floaty; no challenge aside the puzzles, and too many of them just involve translating things and inputting a code.

Violet_0

Banned
31 cubes, 3 pieces of the last cube, 3 anti-cubes, 2 artifacts. I'm at a point in the game where I can't find new things without solving the puzzles. Also, navigating the map is torture

1) how the fuck do I reach this chest? It's driving me crazy!

2) I have the
translation and math book.
Where do I start with deciphering the codes?

3) one more thing, I entered the
32 cube door and activated the device and then nothing happened. Am I supposed to do something in there yet?

megalowho

My notes are much more coherent this go round. What was once random scribblings with rare epiphanies is now legible and fairly concise. A lot of fun to break that stuff down on paper, probably moreso with a better understanding of what to focus on.

Haunted

Definitely prefer la-mulana to this. The door mechanic constantly messes with the flow; the world is disconnected and doesn't make sense (as in backtracking and finishing one area completely before moving on is a pain); platforming is simple and floaty; no challenge aside the puzzles, and too many of them just involve translating things and inputting a code.
Most of this is fair criticism, though it downplays the enjoyment many people have figuring out ciphers and translating the codes. I did come around on the map, but I think a simple animation showing your traversal along the lines of the map instead of a spinning navi cube would've helped solidify the world as a more coherent space for many people. Gomez' animations are really well done and help make the platforming look and feel nice.

Stoze

Okay so I finished the game, there's quite a few things I uncovered inadvertently. Most importantly;
I found a red cube in the telescope room by entering LT and RT to the blinking dots (I don't think this is actually how you're supposed to do it, but it worked). After I got the cube, I exited the game for whatever reason, and when I came back I had to re-get the cube. I assumed it just didn't save, but after getting all the regular cubes and anti cubes and going through the 64-cube door, low and behold I had two red cubes there. So yes, it appears there is a glitch to get multiple red cubes without actually getting them the proper way.
;

Also, concerning the ciphers:
I actually ended up only really needing the entire ciphers for one anti-cube puzzle, and that was the bell. I accidentally solved the tetris piece/number correlation room just from knowing the first four number symbols and just entering a couple random combinations. Unfortunately the alphabet doesn't really help much apart from providing interesting info about the world, and the big alphabet room which I'm assuming is a way to get a red cube

Sorry about the big spoiler tags, but I just wanted to be safe, the less you know about the game the more rewarding it is. Overall it was a fantastic game, there's really just so much to love about it. The only real technical problem I had was the game crashing a few times, and
my playtime getting fucked up after solving the clock puzzle

Ridley327

without going too deep into spoilers or anything, I thought there was stuff that took people months to figure out?

or something?

There was one puzzle that took about two weeks to figure out, but only because they brute forced it. No one has been able to figure out if there's a tangible solution to it that can be found in the game or something related to the game. Of course, that could very well be the solution to it, which really does help to drive home the community aspect of the game.

This game is too hard. I gave up, watched the rest on Youtube and I don't regret doing it.

The atmosphere is good but I need simpler games.

yarden24

im kinda stuck trying to figure out the numbers/alphabet, i mean, i solved the room with lots doors, using the dimensions in the class room as numbers.. and i assumed that was 0-3, but now that kinda doesnt work with the counting die...

daxy

im kinda stuck trying to figure out the numbers/alphabet, i mean, i solved the room with lots doors, using the dimensions in the class room as numbers.. and i assumed that was 0-3, but now that kinda doesnt work with the counting die...

Disregard the die. It only helps to confuse you. You are on the right path with applying what you know about the doors, very close. The classrooms are much more helpful in figuring out the numbers, from my experience.

You don't need the alphabet to get all regular and anti- cubes. I managed without, anyway.

Something that will clarify numbers but can also make it easy to figure out:

There are different ways of writing certain numbers

Greymanic

Neo Member
Working through some of the puzzles, I think I have a slight grasp of the language now but just need some clarification.

The area with the waterfall and the hidden door that appears at night, the solution on the rock should be: L, LT, R, RT, Up, A, Down, RT, RT correct? Or have I made an error, the other door seemed to open fine based on my knowledge of the language.

EasyMode

Working through some of the puzzles, I think I have a slight grasp of the language now but just need some clarification.

The area with the waterfall and the hidden door that appears at night, the solution on the rock should be: L, LT, R, RT, Up, A, Down, RT, RT correct? Or have I made an error, the other door seemed to open fine based on my knowledge of the language.

That is correct. If that's not working then consider what it might apply to.

Hint:
where you're standing/facing matters for this one.

I would say it is fairly easy to pass by.
The animals are just as 'obvious' as the rest of the random animals you find in your play (which is to say, they're easy to overlook since most of the time they do nothing of import), but these two animals are doing something very specific that no other animals in the game are doing. That's how you'll know it is the right one. Once you see what they're doing, you'll be able to figure it out. Trying to give you clues without spoiling the answer because figuring it out is part of the fun I think...

Is it by chance
the cat jumping for the butterfly? Those have been the only animals that have stood out to me besides the owls(Also haven't figured out what they're for either, besides talking to them).

I'm not smart enough for this game. Still loving it though. Sitting at 23 cubes, 7 bits, and 5 anti.

Amir0x

Banned
Is it by chance
the cat jumping for the butterfly? Those have been the only animals that have stood out to me besides the owls(Also haven't figured out what they're for either, besides talking to them).

I'm not smart enough for this game. Still loving it though. Sitting at 23 cubes, 7 bits, and 5 anti.

Naw, that's not the one (I didn't even remember a
cat jumping for a butterfly.
). You'll know what it is immediately when you see it, provided you're a native English speaker, because
what the animals are doing is a very common phrase used in English. It also happens to be the key to unlocking the code, if you understand how to apply it.

its unplayable for me as the camera warps just to a random corner and is not centered :/

Naw, that's not the one (I didn't even remember a
cat jumping for a butterfly.
). You'll know what it is immediately when you see it, provided you're a native English speaker, because
what the animals are doing is a very common phrase used in English. It also happens to be the key to unlocking the code, if you understand how to apply it.

Ok, guess I'll keep an eye out. Also
the cat playing/jumping for the butterfly is at the lighthouse. Not really sure if it's anything, but they were the only animals that had stood out to me.

yarden24

still cant count or read! not making much progress, where do i learn to read? found the class room for counting.. also

if anyone really likes FEZ and has played the MYST games,do so! they really are a more fleshed out concept of exploring a foreign world(second one is best!) and you can clearly see tons of inspiration from them in FEZ!

Top Bottom