• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

Husker86

I bought the Amazon deal even though I had a buddy pass from launch. Out of town right now and won't be back until Memorial Day weekend so I have to wait to play.

Is the LS limit still 50? I'm gonna be sad if I can't get in GAF shell.

Zee-Row

Banned
So does crafting require turning into a certain class? Also do crystals still get used for crafting like in FFXI? You get crystals like candy in this game.

jiggle

They're found in boxes that sometimes can be solo quested, but they can also. Be found in instances/strongholds. You can sneak into some strongholds, but you'll need a party for Darkhold/Aurum Vale/Cutters Cry

awww
that takes too much efforts :<

EDarkness

For $8, I figured it couldn't hurt to pick it up. I doubt I'll play it all that much, but for the price there aren't too many downsides to trying it.

glaurung

Wait, there is no digital download for the game client from the official Square site?

What kind of a world is this?

Duh. I thought I could start the download via remote desktop, but it's not like I can use the remote desktop to put the DVD into the machine. Time to dig up my CE box once again. That useless cup.

desu

Are there any recommended 14 sites for tutorials & infos? After playing and questing for a while yesterday I wanted to find out more about classes/builds and so on but most sites seem to have abandoned the game after its launch :s.

Boss Man

Does anyone know how the legacy thing works, in detail?

I don't have a PC to play the game but I want to get legacy status. If I pay for 90 days, will I just automatically get legacy status? Will I get it after my trial runs out (will it run out, if I'm not playing?) or will I get it after three months have passed?

Anyone in a similar situation?

Rootbeer

Banned
Wait, there is no digital download for the game client from the official Square site?

What kind of a world is this?

Duh. I thought I could start the download via remote desktop, but it's not like I can use the remote desktop to put the DVD into the machine. Time to dig up my CE box once again. That useless cup.
There is a client download... but it is buried on their site and the links are timed to expire once you click on the page where they are located. I guess they are concerned about bandwidth.

You should be able to click this link, and after logging into your SE account, the client downloads will show. Not sure how fast it will go.
http://sqex.to/NgG

New players should definitely, 100% buy the amazon digital version since it is only $7.99 (I paid $9.99 just a few days ago, bastards!) they will provide you with a client downloader link. Pretty straightforward

StateofMind, I'm still waiting to see for myself but from what I understand as soon as they deduct the money for the 90 days you are grandfathered in, as long as they charge you before the Legacy period ends.

Jeels

Was wondering if anyone could help me with the patches.

I downloaded them off of here: http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php, put them in the correct folders (which happened to be in documents>>my games>>ffxiv>>etc...), and opened up FFXIV again. It still shows my boot version as 2010.09.18 and still "Prepares to download update files". Then a new screen shows up "checking update file", starting with 2010.09.19. It looks like it is going to check 14 of them in total? If I went through all the trouble of downloading these files, is it really gonna spend this long going back through and checking them?

Ravidrath

I downloaded them off of here: http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php, put them in the correct folders (which happened to be in documents>>my games>>ffxiv>>etc...), and opened up FFXIV again. It still shows my boot version as 2010.09.18 and still "Prepares to download update files". Then a new screen shows up "checking update file", starting with 2010.09.19. It looks like it is going to check 14 of them in total? If I went through all the trouble of downloading these files, is it really gonna spend this long going back through and checking them?

Yeah, I believe that's correct.

It should just verify them, and once they're verified it will skip to the next one.

Rootbeer

Banned

Well, I got my copy from amazon which comes as a downloader. Took forever for it all to fetch all the files and patches, and my boot version is 2010.09.18.000... maybe this is normal. I can't answer the second part.

What is the advantage to downloading the files off that third party site? That it's faster?

teiresias

So I bought this from Amazon yesterday, installed it and played a bit last night and some after work tonight before heading out of town. So far I like what I've done, but granted, I've done about one or two things so far, so can hardly judge.

I did play FFXI at launch and tried it again about a year ago and loved the atmosphere and music but never got very far, I just couldn't spend the time on the game since it was so punishing unless you could spend the time to look for and play with a good party (granted, when you were in a good party the game was awesome), so everyone talking about how this game isn't as punishing if you're not grouping is what pushed me over the edge. The online FF games are also the only FF games I can stomach the artstyle of anymore (actually I love their art style - and I'm not counting Versus because . . . well . . . yeah . . . vaporw . . .).

I haven't played enough to make any gameplay judgments, but there are a few technical quirks that annoy me that I'm unable to tell if they're being addressed in 2.0 from what I've read.

First, I wish the UI had more sizing options. I'd love to play this game on my plasma in native 1080p, but the UI is just too small to be usable at that resolution on my 50" TV sitting five or six feet away, since the only thing you can change is the log text size. I can somewhat address this if I set the game to 720p when playing on the TV, but so far it runs fine at 1080p so I'd prefer to be able to keep it there if possible, but right now the UI makes that impossible for TV play. It would be nice if the UI work addressed this particularly since they'll be releasing the PS3 version - but I'm sure the PS3 version will probably run in 720p (or less) anyway, so the UI work probably won't address it's size when playing at 1080p.

Also, I'm having issues with my 360 controller. I loved FFXI's controller interface, so I'm not complaining about using a controller at all - I prefer it actually - but it just doesn't seem to account for any dead zone in the analog sticks. Since my left stick seems to be biased to the right when moving it around (almost like it has some hysteresis in the sensor after its been moved right and re-centered), I frequently have my character start running to the right when I'm not even touching the stick. Anyone know a fix.

Also, how can I use the controller to move my focus to the log window so I can scroll through messages that appear there? I can't figure out how to do that, so I've been having to reach for the mouse to do that, which is annoying (it's also annoying that there's no way to turn the display of the mouse cursor itself off if you're using the controller).

Anyway, after I get more time with the game I'll be sending some messages out for the GAF LS.

Oh, does anyone have a link to a cheat-sheet for the chat window commands?

Teknoman

So I bought this from Amazon yesterday, installed it and played a bit last night and some after work tonight before heading out of town. So far I like what I've done, but granted, I've done about one or two things so far, so can hardly judge.

I did play FFXI at launch and tried it again about a year ago and loved the atmosphere and music but never got very far, I just couldn't spend the time on the game since it was so punishing unless you could spend the time to look for and play with a good party (granted, when you were in a good party the game was awesome), so everyone talking about how this game isn't as punishing if you're not grouping is what pushed me over the edge. The online FF games are also the only FF games I can stomach the artstyle of anymore (actually I love their art style - and I'm not counting Versus because . . . well . . . yeah . . . vaporw . . .).

I haven't played enough to make any gameplay judgments, but there are a few technical quirks that annoy me that I'm unable to tell if they're being addressed in 2.0 from what I've read.

First, I wish the UI had more sizing options. I'd love to play this game on my plasma in native 1080p, but the UI is just too small to be usable at that resolution on my 50" TV sitting five or six feet away, since the only thing you can change is the log text size. I can somewhat address this if I set the game to 720p when playing on the TV, but so far it runs fine at 1080p so I'd prefer to be able to keep it there if possible, but right now the UI makes that impossible for TV play. It would be nice if the UI work addressed this particularly since they'll be releasing the PS3 version - but I'm sure the PS3 version will probably run in 720p (or less) anyway, so the UI work probably won't address it's size when playing at 1080p.

Also, I'm having issues with my 360 controller. I loved FFXI's controller interface, so I'm not complaining about using a controller at all - I prefer it actually - but it just doesn't seem to account for any dead zone in the analog sticks. Since my left stick seems to be biased to the right when moving it around (almost like it has some hysteresis in the sensor after its been moved right and re-centered), I frequently have my character start running to the right when I'm not even touching the stick. Anyone know a fix.

Also, how can I use the controller to move my focus to the log window so I can scroll through messages that appear there? I can't figure out how to do that, so I've been having to reach for the mouse to do that, which is annoying (it's also annoying that there's no way to turn the display of the mouse cursor itself off if you're using the controller).

Anyway, after I get more time with the game I'll be sending some messages out for the GAF LS.

1.) This is being addressed in 2.0
2.) No fix that I know of...my 360 wired controller has the same problem.
3.) I'd like to know that myself. I've been playing since the alpha, and i've always used the mouse to do that.

kirby2096

I really like how changing class is as simple as changing your equipment
If only they could make it save what armour you were last wearing for each class so you don't have to use macros.

For me the mouse cursor disappears from view when I press a button on my controller and doesn't return unless transitioning to another zone or if I move my mouse. I use a PS3 pad with the motioninjoy xinput drivers and play in window mode with the AutoHotKey fullscreen mod.

If only they could make it save what armour you were last wearing for each class so you don't have to use macros.

For me the mouse cursor disappears from view when I press a button on my controller and doesn't return unless transitioning to another zone or if I move my mouse. I use a PS3 pad with the motioninjoy xinput drivers and play in window mode with the AutoHotKey fullscreen mod.

The mouse cursor stays there constantly for me and flickers every time I press a button on the controller. I'm always having to move the mouse to one corner after switching windows. I'm using that simple ffxivwindower.

Try XBCD as I remember it having dead zone options in the controller config. Wired controllers only though.

I'm finding myself doing the same with having to grab the mouse for a second. Things like info hidden under tooltips and clicking the sort button can only be done with the mouse... for now?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
At first I was enjoying this, but the game is really burning me out with all the walking. Signs of this to change in 2.0?

ZenaxPure

At first I was enjoying this, but the game is really burning me out with all the walking. Signs of this to change in 2.0?

Well the world is going to be changed physically I do believe, so perhaps it will make things easier. My personal advice is to get your free mount dude as soon as you can and then play with other people more often if you can manage it.

Teleporting places will teleport everyone in your party (as long as they are in range) which saves a lot of anima in the long run, also make sure to use your return command as much as possible.

As for running around for story quests and misc. things though... yeah it sucks. The game is too big, which I like personally, but it really isn't practical. Would be fine if anima wasn't so annoying or there was just a flight point system like WoW (and other MMOs).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
lots :eek: You'd want do it anyway as it's key that you join a Grand Company.
Well the world is going to be changed physically I do believe, so perhaps it will make things easier. My personal advice is to get your free mount dude as soon as you can and then play with other people more often if you can manage it.

Teleporting places will teleport everyone in your party (as long as they are in range) which saves a lot of anima in the long run, also make sure to use your return command as much as possible.

As for running around for story quests and misc. things though... yeah it sucks. The game is too big, which I like personally, but it really isn't practical. Would be fine if anima wasn't so annoying or there was just a flight point system like WoW (and other MMOs).
Alright, guess I'll be hitting the GC quest hard later today.

ZenaxPure

Alright, guess I'll be hitting the GC quest hard later today.

What level are you? You only need to be level 30 to get the free Goobbue mount and you just have to talk to some NPC to get it, no quests or anything. It really makes life so much easier early on from my experience since it's minimal effort. I did not mind walking nearly as much once I had it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What level are you? You only need to be level 30 to get the free Goobbue mount and you just have to talk to some NPC to get it, no quests or anything. It really makes life so much easier early on from my experience since it's minimal effort. I did not mind walking nearly as much once I had it.
Level 23. So should I bother with the GC quest later today or just grind it up to 30?

kuroshiki

OK.

Wow this game is grind fest. I think it's worse than Korean MMOs. At least they level up fast in the beginning.

Took me like 7 hrs to be level 12, and I finished all low level levquest or something like that. (Square please be creative or just stick with the regular term.)

Finally air shipped (whopping 2700gil) to ulala (whatever it is called) and I really like the architecture of the city. very classy. And there are actually talking people there. Feels like FFXI with all those Japanese fonts and everything.

The problem?

Another grind fest.

and I can't sell my old gear or store them.

and is it just me or why is everything so sluggish? Opening menu to speaking to NPC takes like 3-5 sec lag. Spell casting has 1-2 sec lag.

So far not enjoying game at all. You guys have some amazing patience. Really, I salute all of you.

ZenaxPure

Level 23. So should I bother with the GC quest later today or just grind it up to 30?

I dunno, to be honest I am not entirely sure what level is even required to just get a normal old chocobo. I just never got around to doing any of that stuff. If you're playing with others you could get from 23 to 30 in just a few hours though.

Took me like 7 hrs to be level 12, and I finished all low level levquest or something like that. (Square please be creative or just stick with the regular term.)

Depends on how you approach it. Taking 7 hours to get to level 12 is insanely slow. If you were doing story quests or the random quests picked up from NPCs that is probably your problem.

Leves are your fastest XP and gil per time spent while leveling up and is quite separated from the story experience. I'm sure for the endgame stuff you need to go through all the story quests at some point but if you're worried about just strictly leveling, the random quests from townsfolk (and to a lesser degree the story quests) are just going to slow you down big time.

But like I've said a few times in this thread, if you play alone you are punished for playing a lot since the leves themselves regenerate very slowly (but they stack so you can not play a few days and have 30 or so leves to do). Go out there and make some friends then do your leves in groups with the mob's levels cranked up a bit. You will level up mad fast. Like seriously, it is entirely possible to get from level 1 to max in a week and a half or so if you just focus on that.

and is it just me or why is everything so sluggish? Opening menu to speaking to NPC takes like 3-5 sec lag. Spell casting has 1-2 sec lag.

Yep, that is just how the game is right now. Hopefully it's different in 2.0.

kuroshiki

Depends on how you approach it. Taking 7 hours to get to level 12 is insanely slow. If you were doing story quests or the random quests picked up from NPCs that is probably your problem.

Leves are your fastest XP and gil per time spent while leveling up and is quite separated from the story experience. I'm sure for the endgame stuff you need to go through all the story quests at some point but if you're worried about just strictly leveling, the random quests from townsfolk (and to a lesser degree the story quests) are just going to slow you down big time.

But like I've said a few times in this thread, if you play alone you are punished for playing a lot since the leves themselves regenerate very slowly (but they stack so you can not play a few days and have 30 or so leves to do). Go out there and make some friends then do your leves in groups with the mob's levels cranked up a bit. You will level up mad fast. Like seriously, it is entirely possible to get from level 1 to max in a week and a half or so if you just focus on that.

Yep, that is just how the game is right now. Hopefully it's different in 2.0.

Here is the thing.

In this game, NO ONE SPEAKS. or at least when I was at pirate heaven or whatever it is called, NO ONE FUCKING SPOKE A SINGLE WORD. NOT A SINGLE ONE. I waved, spoke, say hi... I was almost convinced that green letters are NPG and those white letter ones are bots, not people. (imagine my surprise when I entered ulala and saw shout)

So what I did was just go around and did the quest and stuffs like that and my god this game is SLOW.

I think the reason why its sluggish is because of how the game was constructed (I think the game is trying to get out every data from the server, every single time I press something).

desu

Here is the thing.

In this game, NO ONE SPEAKS. or at least when I was at pirate heaven or whatever it is called, NO ONE FUCKING SPOKE A SINGLE WORD. NOT A SINGLE ONE. I waved, spoke, say hi... I was almost convinced that green letters are NPG and those white letter ones are bots, not people. (imagine my surprise when I entered ulala and saw shout)

I started in Limosa on the GAF server, and well I thought I was playing a single palyer game ;D.

ZenaxPure

So what I did was just go around and did the quest and stuffs like that and my god this game is SLOW.

It's only going to stay that slow doing things like that, it's just the nature of the game.

Are you not on the gaf server? There has been a ton of people in this thread brand new to the game and multiple times it's been said now the gaf LS was full. I am sure you could find some people in this thread to play with if you were on the same server.

As for trying to make friends in the city, I wouldn't bother. Like any other MMO the city is most of the time filled with people who have their own social groups, max level classes, etc. I met plenty of people to quest with in the game, they were just actually out there questing at the leve camps in the field. I had pretty much no trouble just heading out to do leves and finding at least 1 other person to play with (usually more) and this was before any server merging stuff.

You mostly just need to separate yourself from the NPC quests and leveling. Those are more for world building and crap than any sort of leveling like other MMOs. Honestly you can just go outside of a town and grind mobs for like an hour or 2 and make about the same progress you made in those 7 hours, but I'd still consider that "slow".

jiggle

anyone new to sargatanas and planning to stay
my abandoned toon there have a few pretty pennies to pass out :p

OK.

Wow this game is grind fest. I think it's worse than Korean MMOs. At least they level up fast in the beginning.

Finally air shipped (whopping 2700gil) to ulala (whatever it is called) and I really like the architecture of the city. very classy. And there are actually talking people there. Feels like FFXI with all those Japanese fonts and everything.

The problem?

Another grind fest.

and I can't sell my old gear or store them.

yeah it can get really slow soloing through leves
they did some balancing to the game that fucked it up
used to be you could solo leves 8-10 levels above
but after the balance you're stuck with leves with more appropriate levels
it makes sense except they didn't rebalance the xp rewards :/

even if you hate to pt
the pain is well worth it
it's nothing like dunes in XI
goes way faster (speed and xp accumulation) and death is basically meaningless

for item storage
you need to get a retainer from front desk
u can have up to 2 of them for now
dummy npc that holds ur stuffs for u and helps u sell/buy them
old gears are damaged and need to be repaired to 100% before you can bazaar them
generally it's not worth doing so
better to dump them on npc without repairs

the lag is inexcusable
it was there since beta (used to take 15-20 seconds just to open item menu) all the way past launch
they made 1 improvement to it (the current speed)
probably nothing short of a new engine (what they are doing) will fix it completely :/

kuroshiki

It's only going to stay that slow doing things like that, it's just the nature of the game.

Are you not on the gaf server? There has been a ton of people in this thread brand new to the game and multiple times it's been said now the gaf LS was full. I am sure you could find some people in this thread to play with if you were on the same server.

As for trying to make friends in the city, I wouldn't bother. Like any other MMO the city is most of the time filled with people who have their own social groups, max level classes, etc. I met plenty of people to quest with in the game, they were just actually out there questing at the leve camps in the field. I had pretty much no trouble just heading out to do leves and finding at least 1 other person to play with (usually more) and this was before any server merging stuff.

You mostly just need to separate yourself from the NPC quests and leveling. Those are more for world building and crap than any sort of leveling like other MMOs. Honestly you can just go outside of a town and grind mobs for like an hour or 2 and make about the same progress you made in those 7 hours, but I'd still consider that "slow".

Well, thanks for kind comment. It's ok. If this continues further, then I will just look for something else. Screw legacy discount. No way I will plunge any more.

Seriously though this is a lot worse than what I imagined. At least in FFXI I had no trouble finding party or doing quest. (that was few years ago though) I thought FF14 became casual friendly and simplified, but things got a lot more complicated than FF11. I don't think that's a good thing.

I'm still amazed what kind of retard thought 'durability of gears' was a good idea.

oh and yeah I'm in sar server.

kuroshiki

anyone new to sargatanas and planning to stay
my abandoned toon there have a few pretty pennies to pass out :p

Not sure if I want to stay here or not, but could you please spare some pennies. =X

yeah it can get really slow soloing through leves
they did some balancing to the game that fucked it up
used to be you could solo leves 8-10 levels above
but after the balance you're stuck with leves with more appropriate levels
it makes sense except they didn't rebalance the xp rewards :/

even if you hate to pt
the pain is well worth it
it's nothing like dunes in XI
goes way faster (speed and xp accumulation) and death is basically meaningless

for item storage
you need to get a retainer from front desk
u can have up to 2 of them for now
dummy npc that holds ur stuffs for u and helps u sell/buy them

the lag is inexcusable
it was there since beta (used to take 15-20 seconds just to open item menu) all the way past launch
they made 1 improvement to it (the current speed)
probably nothing short of a new engine (what they are doing) will fix it completely :/

I have no trouble with forming PT. The trouble is NO ONE RESPONDS. They are all fucking bots, I swear.

So the armorer in the rest room is not the one I use? I actually have to buy another one?

Also what I'm seeing (lag speed) is an improvement?! Holy hell how did you guys survive?

Riposte

Retainers are NPCs you use to put items up for sell in the game's marketplace or just as extra storage. You get them from a NPC in the tavern/adventurer's guild. You don't really "buy" them though. The Armoire is mainly used to store "one of a kind" event or quest items so they don't take up much room.

If you don't have a LS or three to lay back on, it is best to make your way to Ul'dah once partying and shopping becomes important.

Just announcing this is the last day for the Welcome Back campaign (though it will dip passed midnight for areas before PST).

jiggle

Not sure if I want to stay here or not, but could you please spare some pennies. =X

I have no trouble with forming PT. The trouble is NO ONE RESPONDS. They are all fucking bots, I swear.

So the armorer in the rest room is not the one I use? I actually have to buy another one?

Also what I'm seeing (lag speed) is an improvement?! Holy hell how did you guys survive?

i can log in now and trade u some gils
if no more takers tomorrow you can have them all

are you on gaf's linkshell?
try asking if anyone wants to pt in it?
i'll show u where to get retainer when i'm on

well the lag speed is part of the atrocious launch everyone talked about
and not many survived :p
it's quite an achievement the improvements they've made since then actually

Top Bottom