• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

Allard

That's legal?

It is for MMO's since your account is your ownership. Main issue is making sure you don't grab the wrong torrent/file and get a virus or something :p. For instance when Expansion packs are released most games these days have a digital version on top of a boxed version, but what you are buying isn't the right to download, but the ability to unlock the content on your account. Usually the boxed versions novelties are for people that have brandwith caps and they often times come with extra goodies like the Limited edition of the game came with a second account so that you could give the game to a buddy. The expansions are often patched into the game rather then downloaded like a new install file too, the biggest boon of the physical copies is simply not needing to download nearly as much as usually the newest box release has the full client that is most up to date at the time it went gold.

DJIzana

Alright... just about done patching here. Looks like I'll be making a new character on the Sargatanas server.

Anyone else want to start up a new character too? :D

Beth Cyra

Yeah, mine was too... I have to remake mine. Lemme know when you're good to go. I'll be a Hyur Pugalist... as for anyone else! :)

Haha I doubt I will be able to join this evening good sir. I'm still downloading the client and then need to do the patch job before I can create a character.

That said, you should post some impressions of how it feels starting a fresh character as it is now to give guys like me, who haven't played in months an idea what it feels like.

vazel

Banned
God damn, the update process is still as much of a lengthy pain in the ass as it was in ffxi. 2 hours later and I'm still waiting.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to use torrent the torrent files are in this directory too
Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv\48eca647

Bebpo

Banned
This game is actually pretty enjoyable now, I would recommend people give it a shot.

I didn't like the first 5 hours of FFXI. I've never played an MMO, but I want something I can just jump in and play like an offline rpg with a larger scope aka. Xenoblade but online and even bigger.

Is FFXIV easier for newcomers to the MMO genre? One problem I had in the early hours of FFXI was figuring out what the hell I was supposed to be doing. The game was not very streamlined and unless I talked to every NPC I was very lost. The combat was also pretty slow solo-ing. Punch....wait.......punch.......wait.

I didn't like the first 5 hours of FFXI. I've never played an MMO, but I want something I can just jump in and play like an offline rpg with a larger scope aka. Xenoblade but online and even bigger.

Is FFXIV easier for newcomers to the MMO genre? One problem I had in the early hours of FFXI was figuring out what the hell I was supposed to be doing. The game was not very streamlined and unless I talked to every NPC I was very lost. The combat was also pretty slow solo-ing. Punch....wait.......punch.......wait.

FFXIV is a little more guided than XI was, but not enough that I think it would change your mind. You can't just quest your way through levels like a more traditional western MMO (like WoW or SWTOR).

It's easier in that it's much easier to solo, and battles are more involved with skill combos and stuff, but again, it's closer to 11 than WoW.

Teknoman

Play it like a normal JRPG and you should be good. There are also map markers for quest objectives.

Alex

This game is actually pretty enjoyable now, I would recommend people give it a shot.

I haven't tried it in several months, and only with a friend, but I would disagree. To me it didn't seem nearly as improved as some would have me believe and in it's current state it's still one of the worst MMOs I've ever tried by merit of it just being little more than framework, there's still not enough in place to judge it without feeling awkward, like trying to critque a house that's under construction. The recent patches come across to me like they were mostly adding in a few core concepts each and are taking it VERY slowly with all of the real content tucked away in this miracle 2.0 patch.

So from my perspective they still have a ways to go, that said miracle patch will really need to be amazing at this pace. I'm curious to see them try and work in a new interface, new graphics engine, new streaming system and new world design and all other sorts of stuff all at once and keep up with enough content to keep anyone besides the people who bought it for the logo on the box interested. :p

Really though, I would literally pay money to hear stories about the development of this game and how some of this stuff happened. They should release a damn book and charge for it after the work is done. There has to be some really curious reasons why they had to go through all this shit, patching a live MMO bit by bit up for over two years into what should be it's 1.0 beta.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I haven't tried it in several months, and only with a friend, but I would disagree. To me it didn't seem nearly as improved as some would have me believe and in it's current state it's still one of the worst MMOs I've ever tried by merit of it just being little more than framework, there's still not enough in place to judge it without feeling awkward, like trying to critque a house that's under construction. The recent patches come across to me like they were mostly adding in a few core concepts each and are taking it VERY slowly with all of the real content tucked away in this miracle 2.0 patch.

So from my perspective they still have a ways to go, that said miracle patch will really need to be amazing at this pace. I'm curious to see them try and work in a new interface, new graphics engine, new streaming system and new world design and all other sorts of stuff all at once and keep up with enough content to keep anyone besides the people who bought it for the logo on the box interested. :p

Really though, I would literally pay money to hear stories about the development of this game and how some of this stuff happened. They should release a damn book and charge for it after the work is done. There has to be some really curious reasons why they had to go through all this shit, patching a live MMO bit by bit up for over two years into what should be it's 1.0 beta.

Well that's issue number one right there. The game has relatively solid core mechanics now, and most of what is currently shit will (hopefully) be addressed in 2.0, the main problem from what I'm seeing right now is lack of (mostly end game) content.

Teknoman

And of course more story content/ a close to the main scenario. But that probably wont be for awhile.

Although i'm sure most of the people here are aware, for those who dont know, this will most likely set itself aside as being extremely story focused (if 2.0 manages to be all that everyone believes it will that is).

Honestly it's already doing much better (story wise) than base FFXI, as well as quality of boss battles.

iyjWfdVjWF7iI.jpg

ibyBo3XroC7KcA.jpg

Mario007

And of course more story content/ a close to the main scenario. But that probably wont be for awhile.

Although i'm sure most of the people here are aware, for those who dont know, this will most likely set itself aside as being extremely story focused (if 2.0 manages to be all that everyone believes it will that is).

Honestly it's already doing much better (story wise) than base FFXI, as well as quality of boss battles.

iyjWfdVjWF7iI.jpg

ibyBo3XroC7KcA.jpg

I actually wanted to ask this. How is it doing storywise? Like could you solo it and have a satisfactory story experience as if you were playing another FF game (maybe like 12)?

jiggle

when is the latest i have to reactivate
if i want to be qualified for legacy status?

I actually wanted to ask this. How is it doing storywise? Like could you solo it and have a satisfactory story experience as if you were playing another FF game (maybe like 12)?

up to the point when i stopped playing early this year
all the story related missions/fights/quests were easily soloable

the experience will be unlike any of the offline FF though
you will get parts and snippets of it as your level progress
and all the fighting/crafting jobs may fill in additional holes
it's kinda up to you to put them all together

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I need this in my life, I've been waiting patiently for 2+ years ; ;

Signed up for PS3 Beta eons ago =/

I told myself to get 100 platinums before getting FFXIV, I'm sitting @104, I've done my part, need for PS3 Please

Hope RDM comes, or might go Healing/Dark Magic Galore for GAF

Dunan

Would love to give this a shot when it finally comes out for PS3 (I don't have a Windows machine).

One question: I still haven't seen a character swing their weapon left-handed. Please don't tell me that there are five races, 2^16 different skin tones, 255 degrees of facial occlusion, and adjustable reticulated splines, but only one possible weapon hand.

Roxas

Their website and account system is still a complete fucking mess. how on earth do i reactivate for free? Keeps saying i need to pay or with "Crysta"

Jomjom

Banned

iyjWfdVjWF7iI.jpg

ibyBo3XroC7KcA.jpg

Wow they must have made some huge changes. I played through all of the story missions that existed at the time the F2P ended and the story was just horrible. FFXI has one of the best stories in the FF series, so saying that it's already doing much better than base FFXI is a pretty bold statement.

Mario007

when is the latest i have to reactivate
if i want to be qualified for legacy status?

up to the point when i stopped playing early this year
all the story related missions/fights/quests were easily soloable

the experience will be unlike any of the offline FF though
you will get parts and snippets of it as your level progress
and all the fighting/crafting jobs may fill in additional holes
it's kinda up to you to put them all together

thanks a lot

Animekatt

This thread has made me download the latest updates for the game. I'm on the Gungnir server though. I guess I will pay for the 3 months to get Legacy, and then when 2.0 rolls out, I can do the server transfer to the GAF server. Really wish the PS3 version would come in September.

Zomba13

I'll have to update/re-install then. I wanted to love FFXIV and I did enjoy the beta for what it was but got bored of the actual release not long after launch. I really want to love XIV as much as I love XI.

EDIT: Yay, FFXIV was still on this computer. I only need to download a silly amount of updates :D

Ronok

Oh god, every time I see a thread I get so tempted. Last time I tried to restart, I got really busy again right after, maybe this time? God. v.v

zashga

The first pic we have 2.0 is the concept UI for the mouse and keyboard. Hot keys you can drag drop anything into (Macros, items, abilities etc.). All menu prompts in small keys on the UI instead of loading the obnoxious big menu. 1 touch mannequins which store gear so it doesn't take up inventory and automatically equips you at the tough of a button. Ability to designate titles to define a players position (Tank, Healer, Melee DD, Caster DD, Buffer) each player has a number etc. Full drag and drop funtionality, full click functionality, they are releasing scripts to allow players to design their own UI to be uploaded and shared among players (In case the current UI still doesn't function how you like it).

Yoshida is a self-professed MMO PC gamer and his favorite MMO is Dark Age of Camelot. Also played a good helping of the current MMO crop, WoW Rift etc. The new UI manager is from FFXII, and one of the things he mentioned right from the start is he wanted a UI that acted immediately when an button is used, a crisp and functional UI. If there was one thing that I think they will get right in 2.0, its the UI with the current developers, they have a much, much better grasp of what makes a functional PC UI then Tanaka and company does that's for sure.

Also furthermore, the current "Band-aid" UI lets you do mouse click/target confirm on the doors and other prompts now. You still have the option to do it the old way but you can now click most the stuff to open/use them now.

Thanks for the explanation; that does sound promising. If not for the fact that Diablo 3 is out next week, I would probably take another look myself. Now is not a good time to begin a 30 day trial period for any game. ;)

One more question: does FF14 have a decent LFG tool for group content? I am beyond spoiled by the WOW dungeon finder tool; this is probably the biggest reason why I couldn't get into SWTOR earlier this year.

DJIzana

So I actually decided to continue playing off where I had my Pugalist. Turns out, I left him of at level 26. (On the Balmung server.)

All I have to say, now that I'm playing again during this free trial period, is that the game certainly has improved quite a fair bit.

The slow combat isn't actually as irritating as I thought it'd be. I can actually manage that knowing I have an amazing world to explore at hand with amazing look skills, characters & art.

The one thing I really truly can't wait for is the UI revamp which is happening in 2.0... I think that will be enough for me to take me back. One other thing, I really wish this game had a better system on showing you where to go for certain quests.

Buttons

Is it always this long killing bosses?

Primal bosses yes, as they have multiple phases. Usually phase 1, then a massive aoe attack you have to surive, then berserk phases after that. ^_^

Raid bosses are shorter, but then you also have the raid itself with all the mobs and mechanics etc.

Primal bosses yes, as they have multiple phases. Usually phase 1, then a massive aoe attack you have to surive, then berserk phases after that. ^_^

Raid bosses are shorter, but then you also have the raid itself with all the mobs and mechanics etc.

So this overly-long and tedious battle I just witnessed is not representative of the entire experience playing this game?

massoluk

Banned
Ok, now I'm interested. Give me a few weeks to sort my life out and I'll join.

Do you need to long game session to get anything done in this game? Will I get to see most of the story here (main story at least) if I like to solo?

cruets

Ok, now I'm interested. Give me a few weeks to sort my life out and I'll join.

Do you need to long game session to get anything done in this game? Will I get to see most of the story here (main story at least) if I like to solo?

nah , personally I play like an hour a day and can make progress. its much more casual friendly than ffxi. I loved how hardcore ffxi was but who has time for that these days. you can solo just fine outside besides the avatar and raids.

Top Bottom