• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

kiryogi

Banned
I really wanted XIV to be a good game, have been hovering at a safe distance ever since I played the abysmal beta waiting for it to get better. It looks playable now which is a little tempting, but I really want to hold out for 2.0 before joining a game that is likely to be hit with a meteor and have all its mechanics and content reset.

Thankfully I'm busy as hell this month so hopefully the urge to try it will go away.

I think folks are misunderstanding some parts of 2.0. Content is all new, but the mechanics that were revamped are here to stay. At least that's how Yoshi_p put it. If anything 2.0 is hugely cosmetic and UI.

Edit: actually I recall him saying the mechanics here are parts of 2.0

Jinko

I really want to jump back in (handily enough I'm in Sarg, having been from Lindblum!), but I've a few questions:

Where do I go to get new equipment? I'm still stuck with some plain clothes since launch and bone cesti, what I liked about XI was that there was a one stop place to look for goods - the AH. I know XIV doesn't have such a thing, so where's a starting point to upgrade my gear?

We have marketwards, still not as good as the FF11 AH, but it gets better with each patch.

They plan to have a proper AH in 2.0

mw1e.jpg

mw2n.png

I really hope 2.0 succeeds and I do want to take advantage of the Legacy deal, but it seems like such a gamble right now. Hope they show something at E3 :/

What's to gamble ? its free for the next 10 days after all.

massoluk

Banned
HOLY SHIT gaf. WTF. Bought it from Amazon. 5GB initial download client, but then update downloads. It is just unbelievable humongous. >_<

Reposting what Tekno put for those patching go here and just download them direct and put them in the appropriate folders don't waste time sitting on the downloader it will take hours

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php

Thanks to Comcast, my speed is already capped anyway, it looks like downloader is already giving me as fast as it get. Amazon and Square should probably update their retail file '-_-

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I booted it up, but man... it's all just so sluggish and unintuitive. I love the visuals and music, and the battle system seems kind of interesting, but I have some kind of mental barrier with this UI and the sluggish performance on not even max settings.

I'll take another look with 2.0 for sure!

Teknoman

I booted it up, but man... it's all just so sluggish and unintuitive. I love the visuals and music, and the battle system seems kind of interesting, but I have some kind of mental barrier with this UI and the sluggish performance on not even max settings.

I'll take another look with 2.0 for sure!

Did you turn off Ambient Occlusion? And yeah 2.0 should have much better performance for sure.

Animekatt

Is there an easy way to make money in this game? In FF11, I was constantly broke, and I would like to make a bigger effort in trying to have enough money to be comfortable.

cruets

Is there an easy way to make money in this game? In FF11, I was constantly broke, and I would like to make a bigger effort in trying to have enough money to be comfortable.

quest and main scenario quest pays ok when you first start out. Personally I just craft or sell stuff I get from logging.

ZenaxPure

quest and main scenario quest pays ok when you first start out. Personally I just craft or sell stuff I get from logging.

Indeed, I never got into the endgame stuff but for just leveling I never really hurt on gil. A lot of the lengthier story quests give a pretty large amount of gil for their level. At least enough to live on unless you're constantly wanting to upgrade your gear every few levels.

Whogie

With the exception of a handful of parties, most of my leveling has been done with leves. I've had a decent bit of cash from that to get by with hardly any effort. And with rested EXP, leve EXP comes in pretty fast.
I love this skill-chain system where certain skills allow immediate free use of other skills.

--

Creepy 1.22a moon perspective shot
YnyL3.png

This moon thing is a pretty cool way to put an end to Version 1.

Well I caved and bought it last night, but so far I'm doing most of the stuff I did before in the beta. Looking forward to passing where I was previously.

I'm on the Sargatanas server, playing as a highlander male Hyur as a gladiator, starting in Ul'dah.

My PC hates the game, so I've had to sacrifice a lot of the nice graphics, but I guess that's the same with a lot of people.

massoluk

Banned
Ok. The GUI. It's just truly horrible. The Map is awful. The Tutorial is almost nonexistent. The Quest is hard to follow (thanks in part to the map). How do I play full screen anyway? How do I switch over to controllers? Why are the icons so tiny? The reviewers weren't kidding.

Ok. The GUI. It's just truly horrible. The Map is awful. The Tutorial is almost nonexistent. The Quest is hard to follow (thanks in part to the map). How do I play full screen anyway? How do I switch over to controllers? Why are the icons so tiny? The reviewers weren't kidding.

Run the FFXIV Config before you start the game. It's in the same SquareEnix folder as the FFXIV game.

Whogie

Two tips about graphics:
Don't set General Drawing Quality above 8. Otherwise you're supersampling.
Ambient Occlusion is broken. Don't use it.

Teknoman

Run the FFXIV Config before you start the game. It's in the same SquareEnix folder as the FFXIV game.

Its also in the programs section of the windows start button menu. You dont really need a tutorial in my opinion, since everything is pretty much straight forward this time around, but they are adding a large section for 2.0.

Buttons

I actually like the UI, but I am used to a menu based minimal UI from FFXI. The best tip I can give people wanting to try the game before 2.0 is: Use a controller+keyboard combo, it's simply the best atm.
If you use a controller, just configure it in the way all your old FF games and other JRPGs were configured. X for yes, Triangle for Menu, Circle for No etc.

Using this approach it really does feel like an online JRPG.

I do know that the UI needs work but people are so used to all MMOs having the same basic UI that it's hard for them to get used to something else. For me the reverse happened when I tried TERA, it's been years since I played a korean game along with that type of UI. ^^" I also struggled for a bit. xD

Also look in the Config option in-game, there are three different targeting types you can choose from. A mode to switch between aggressive only and party only, and two different types of normal controls. My favourite one lets me press Left or Right on the D-Pad to target monsters and NPCs, and Up Down to toggle between my party members that I heal. Healers can also select their cure and click on a player's name in the party list if they want. ^^
Or just press F10 to automatically target the nearest NPC or Monster. ^^

Why isn't there a Summoner?

Because the eikons/primals are freaking gods that have better things to do then to bow to the whims of mortals.
Story-wise, they are powerful and belligerent toward those who do not serve or worship them.

Summoning is being planned, but in a completely different way than XI.

DarkKyo

Question: Are there any benefits at all for new players to join at the moment or should we just wait for 2.0? I'm very interested but I don't know if I should wait. If I bought the game I do not get free time for being a new player, correct?

Boss Man

Question: Are there any benefits at all for new players to join at the moment or should we just wait for 2.0? I'm very interested but I don't know if I should wait. If I bought the game I do not get free time for being a new player, correct?
The big benefit is that if you pay for 3 months, you get a permanent discount after 2.0. You'll be paying $9.99 for the $14.99 subscription.

There are also a few novelty items I think. Plus you get to see that red meteor thing inch closer and eventually destroy the game to usher in 2.0. I believe there's a story attached to it and everything. That's pretty damn cool IMO.

I was very surprised to hear that after that thing crashes, the game is not only going to get rehauled across the board but it's even going to have a completely new engine and new servers. Crazy.

I'd be playing this summer if my PC could handle it. Will probably give in and pay ~$20 for that permanent discount, even though I won't actually be able to play until the PS3 version / 2.0.

Because the eikons/primals are freaking gods that have better things to do then to bow to the whims of mortals.
Story-wise, they are powerful and belligerent toward those who do not serve or worship them.

What exactly are they planning? I think I read something about everyone gets to choose one or something along those lines. I bet they'll find a way to include Summer eventually either way though.

Caelestis

I gave in and bought this from amazon yesterday, but now I am a bit confused about how getting the discount works. When I selected service I picked 90 days. Is that all I have to do? Would I need to wait until 3 months pass for them to possibly select me? Their site sort of hints different things all over the place so I am not sure if they are charging the whole amount at once or they will do 10$ each month.

Ravidrath

Why isn't there a Summoner?

Originally, I think they didn't have one because Tanaka didn't like pet classes in XI. But they have announced that there will be pet and summon classes in 2.0.

The eikons right (Ifrit and Garuda) now are basically gods, but I think there is room for lesser spirits and things that could be summoned, like Carbuncle or a Moogle.

There has also been talk about being able to summon the primals in your base to fight them for gear and practice, and also summon them as tide-turning events in PVP battles.

I gave in and bought this from amazon yesterday, but now I am a bit confused about how getting the discount works. When I selected service I picked 90 days. Is that all I have to do? Would I need to wait until 3 months pass for them to possibly select me? Their site sort of hints different things all over the place so I am not sure if they are charging the whole amount at once or they will do 10$ each month.

You'll get an e-mail when you attain Legacy status.

Not entirely sure how it would work now, but I'd imagine you will still get the e-mail and status on the 91st day, even if you bought the thing in one lump.

I revived my account on the 5th and paid for the 3 months play time and and on the 8th I got the email for Legacy Status.

pretty sure when you buy the game it includes 30 days free trial

Shouta

Originally, I think they didn't have one because Tanaka didn't like pet classes in XI. But they have announced that there will be pet and summon classes in 2.0.

The eikons right (Ifrit and Garuda) now are basically gods, but I think there is room for lesser spirits and things that could be summoned, like Carbuncle or a Moogle.

There has also been talk about being able to summon the primals in your base to fight them for gear and practice, and also summon them as tide-turning events in PVP battles.

Tanaka is pretty notorious for his dislike of pet classes, even if he hasn't said so (I don't recall if he has). Summoner, Beastmaster, and Puppetmaster were in a horrible state for a long time. They got fixed to a great degree after others took the reigns of FFXI and did Abyssea though there are always a few lingering issues with it.

zashga

You can make your own. Just level Conjurer and Thaumaturge and mix the abilities across.

Can you at least get a little feathered cap?

YnyL3.png

This moon thing is a pretty cool way to put an end to Version 1.

This reminds me of Asheron's Call 1. In the last week of beta, they put a big red comet in the sky, getting closer and closer, and then all hell broke loose on the final day. It was a pretty cool way to go out.

Ravidrath

Logged in... wow it's different... I have no idea what I'm doing now! Guess I'll restart.

Restart on Sargatanas. :eek:

Can you at least get a little feathered cap?

There are a few hats with feathers, and I would imagine at least one could be dyed red.

Also, I think Red Mage is likely coming early in 2.0. They said that they'll be adding a new mage class immediately, and there is already an Arcanist's Guild in Limsa Lominsa. When they redid the battle and abilities, they also removed most buffs and debuffs, so I expect these will be given to Arcanist.

From there, it would make sense for Red Mage to happen, probably as a combo of Gladiator and Arcanist.

w2000

So I was looking at this thread and decided to buy the game despite my pc not being up to snuff at this time. Installed and updated and when I try to login it says there is maintenance going on? is anyone else getting that message?

Edit: Figured it out lol.

Ala Alba

I revived my account on the 5th and paid for the 3 months play time and and on the 8th I got the email for Legacy Status.

pretty sure when you buy the game it includes 30 days free trial

So, I just bought the game. If it comes with a free trial, can I just purchase the 90-day subscription to get a total of 120 days of play right away? I'd rather pay all at once and get it out of the way for 4 months.

Zomba13

By different from XI does that mean like, not as it's own class?
I LOVED SMN in FFXI. I loved almost everything about the class, especially when they sorted out -perp stuff in the later years.

Also, I'm kinda lost. I'm back in the game on Sargatanas (What happened to Lindblum? :( ) and I feel like I need to start fresh. I think I need a noobs guide to FFXIV, so I know what to do and where to go even though I've got two classes around 16 and 400k in gil (which I have a feeling is a very little amount).

Beth Cyra

Finally got everything set back up, and decided to do a different class/race/starting area and maybe give me a whole fresh feel for the games third chance.

Chris R

How big is the Amazon download? Is there a stream play option like WoW has or do I have to download the entire thing?

jae

Jumping back in, since XI is boring again. Restarted on Sargantas, char name is Naka Yubi. Going to have to get at someone for a pearl next time I am on since I have no idea what I am doing anymore.

Top Bottom