• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

MMaRsu

Hey Astrolad we need to get some games in too man.. it's been too long since you got rid of Fifa10 :(.

Cornballer you home yet? :)

Get'sMad

Even though I should be well used to it, dear god I get sick of all the assholes using only 5 star teams and never switching it up.

Like do they not like the game to be a little more fun to play?

Fredescu

ElyrionX said:
One of the things they often do is get in your way when you're dribbling. I found myself running into my teammates a lot while dribbling.
I've only played a few games so far, but I've noticed this as well. If I go up the wing with the full back, I often end up getting too close to the winger in front. I could have sworn they will usually make runs up the wing automatically in previous versions. Perhaps I need to alter a tactic somewhere.

k0ji-wd

Damn, there's always 8-10 club members online at all times, maybe we could get in some practise club games or something :D

Proc

Should a noob like myself buy this game? I was tempted to get the world cup version but I knew this one would be just around the corner so I held off.

Now that Fifa 10 is $20, should I just get that? Or is there enough better in this iteration to pay full?

I won't be playing it too seriously as most of my time goes to nhl.

ElyrionX

Fredescu said:
I've only played a few games so far, but I've noticed this as well. If I go up the wing with the full back, I often end up getting too close to the winger in front. I could have sworn they will usually make runs up the wing automatically in previous versions. Perhaps I need to alter a tactic somewhere.

It's not just that. Many times the deliberate runs the AI makes would cross your path for no good reason at all. Instead of running into space and waiting for a pass, they will run into or alongside you and get in your way.

ATF487

Kind of a random question, but I can't connect to the EA Sports servers, probably because I have a network bridge. (Didn't want to buy the wireless adapter or run a long cable)

Is there any way to fix this?

shoplifter

Proc said:
I won't be playing it too seriously as most of my time goes to nhl.

It's better in almost every way, though you might not notice it. If you're going to be putting more than a pittance of time into it, get 11. If not, and you don't care much about clubs, get World Cup.

Proc

gaming funds are pretty good right now, I think I'll pick this up instead of last year's game.

I really enjoyed the rental time I had with world cup. I hope this game takes over my life the way nhl 11 has with my friends and I.

MMaRsu

Man Real is a fucking BULLSHIT piece of shitteam to play against. Too fucking good which is nonsense. Can't get a ball away from Ronaldo either. BULLSHIT

Get'sMad

MMaRsu said:
Man Real is a fucking BULLSHIT piece of shitteam to play against. Too fucking good which is nonsense. Can't get a ball away from Ronaldo either. BULLSHIT

I hear that...I played people using Real twice today and, yeah, Ronaldo is never marked and has the ball within 1-2 passes on the wing when you give up possession.

so annoying.

adelante

ElyrionX said:
It's not just that. Many times the deliberate runs the AI makes would cross your path for no good reason at all. Instead of running into space and waiting for a pass, they will run into or alongside you and get in your way.
Did you try pressing the LB button so they run into space for you? Or tinker around in custom tactics for a more freeform play? I managed to get players do amazing diagonal runs after setting up some of the options in there...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MMaRsu said:
Hey Astrolad we need to get some games in too man.. it's been too long since you got rid of Fifa10 :(.

Cornballer you home yet? :)
i'll have to catch ya next time! was playing one last game with sneaks

Decado

Finally got it. I see the editing system is as shitty as ever. All menus take far too long to load, and once you edit a player it goes back to your default team. I think EA likes to make me waste my fucking time :\

leng jai

Played some 2v2 with my regular Fifa crew last night and it was pretty fun. It feels very different and we were making a ton of mistakes. Some of the stuff that was happening was pure faultiness though and made me go "the fuck?" several times. Particularly the rebounds, which feel so random and nonsensical at times.

adelante

I love the varying levels of strictness between different referees. My last CM game was against Sheffield and I could've sworn the damn referee was BIAS! :lol

A sublime header by the cpu (Nottingham Forest) against my Leeds into the back post; made a touch more realistic because there's now two teammates jumping to head in the same cross, unlike previous iterations :D

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/38871371

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Starting to get sick of how sluggish this game feels for any team below 4 stars. I've just had 3 consecutive 0-0 draws (one of which was against Chelsea) and it's all a load of shit because my strikers absolutely stink at one-on-one situations with the keeper. Any goal I have scored at all this season is due to crosses or where the ball pops up in my position due to an animated "collapse" by a defender or teammate. Played 9 games in the season so far and 6 of them have been draws.

I also like how lazy EA are when it came to "training" and dictating how a player's growth ability goes. Last year was a joke because it was too overpowered; get the best trainers and such and even your shitty B-class defender could be worth millions within the year. This time they've simply taken all of that shit out because they can't code it correctly, so now it relies upon an automated system where even I can't predict how it works. I've figured it relied upon player ratings at the end of each game, but one of my young defensive midfielders has had consistent 8's and a few man-of-the-match's and he hasn't budged a single way even though several others have.

I'll give the game a full season and see how it goes but at the moment I'm simply tired of slogging through an entire match and having zero goals to show for it.

I am having issues with saving on PC, anybody have same issues?

When I try to Create a new Manager Mode save, it just has a square box with a X, I can't type anything in. wtf

Edit: I think I figured it out, I had used the .ini file to skip intro and everything. Took it out and I had prompts to save my stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there a guide somewhere to how Pro Passing works? Totally forgot it even existed until I noticed the weird brackets on the passing meter.

MMaRsu

AstroLad said:
Is there a guide somewhere to how Pro Passing works? Totally forgot it even existed until I noticed the weird brackets on the passing meter.

Hey dude totally sorry I gave you a little whoopass

;)

What the hell happened with that own goal tho??? O_O

And what's with all the fouling Astrolad? :)

adelante

AstroLad said:
That's the indicator for optimal passing power to reach your intended target; anywhere outside that indicator will most likely cause you to over/under hit your passes

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MMaRsu said:
Hey dude totally sorry I gave you a little whoopass

;)

What the hell happened with that own goal tho??? O_O

And what's with all the fouling Astrolad? :)
:lol sorry I was messing around that entire game. Holland-Boca so I figured I wouldn't take it too seriously. Red Bulls acquitted themselves well though!

adelante said:
That's the indicator for optimal passing power to reach your intended target; anywhere outside that indicator will most likely cause you to over/under hit your passes
Yeah but it doesn't seem to come up all the time, so when I'm passing do I have to be basically staring at my kick meter too? Or is there some other indicator to look for. Well thank goodness this is all covered in such wonderful detail in the gorgeous and comprehensive manual.

adelante

AstroLad said:
Yeah but it doesn't seem to come up all the time, so when I'm passing do I have to be basically staring at my kick meter too? Or is there some other indicator to look for. Well thank goodness this is all covered in such wonderful detail in the gorgeous and comprehensive manual.
:lol

People used to fill up the whole bar for a faster pass in previous games but not only does that equate to an overpowered pass in FIFA11, you now only need to apply the appropriate amount of power (the indicator takes into consideration of how far your target is so a general guideline would be to do just that).

Plasma

Banned
Picked up my copy from Asda last night, got there about 15 minutes before midnight thinking I won't be there that long. Took me nearly two hours before I got to the front of the queue ._.

Anyway played a few matches so far as Arsenal and I'm enjoying it, feels really satisfying to piece together a good passing move and then grab a goal from it.

k0ji-wd

Wait, wtf, I wasn't aware EA were doing the play CPU if your opponent quits online thing this year?

I was playing a friend and towards the 90th minute the game stuttered like it would lag out and then continued on fine. At that point it was 2-2 so it goes to ET and I ended up winning 5-4 in a nicely action packed last 30 mins.

Now the weird thing is, he always celebrates with that violin move EVERY time he scores, but for the two he scored in ET, it was just a normal run to hug your teammates.

So I called him up and was like "yo good game, I g2g" and he was like "yeah can't believe I scored that last minute winner!" and i was like "yo I won 5-4 man. . .' he was like 'nah dude, i won 3-2!'

He took a screenshot of his results screen and it was 3-2.

WTF.

I regard myself as a decent fifa player online, i win more than i lose, however i suck this year. I'm really struglling to dribble round players, skilled dribble (l2+r2) doesn't seem to work, if i'm sprinting the player just basically stops, and the skill moves don't seem to work either. I'm also fininding that i get tackled really easily if i'm the striker around the edge of the box and i have my back to goal, i just can't seem to turn the defenders. Tips would be appreciated. Last night I scraped a win on penalties, the other guy was poor and I had all the possesion, but just couldn't beat the final defender.

Rad-

k0ji-wd said:
Wait, wtf, I wasn't aware EA were doing the play CPU if your opponent quits online thing this year?

I was playing a friend and towards the 90th minute the game stuttered like it would lag out and then continued on fine. At that point it was 2-2 so it goes to ET and I ended up winning 5-4 in a nicely action packed last 30 mins.

Now the weird thing is, he always celebrates with that violin move EVERY time he scores, but for the two he scored in ET, it was just a normal run to hug your teammates.

So I called him up and was like "yo good game, I g2g" and he was like "yeah can't believe I scored that last minute winner!" and i was like "yo I won 5-4 man. . .' he was like 'nah dude, i won 3-2!'

WTF.

:lol

Messi

Started a man united season, 90' min of the first game valencia gets injured. Has to come off. After the game I get an emailmsaying 'bad break for team' valencia is out for 90 days. I found it ironic that it was titled bad break considering valencias current problems. :)

Loving this game though

wud

Neo Member
Right GAF, I can't find any clear answers to this so any help would be appreciated:

Can me and 3 friends each start our own virtual pro player in our own custom team?

Is there ANY way of doing this or something similar?

adelante

k0ji-wd said:

WTF.
LMAO alternate dimension online play confirmed!

agaru

Jamesearlcash said:
I regard myself as a decent fifa player online, i win more than i lose, however i suck this year. I'm really struglling to dribble round players, skilled dribble (l2+r2) doesn't seem to work, if i'm sprinting the player just basically stops, and the skill moves don't seem to work either. I'm also fininding that i get tackled really easily if i'm the striker around the edge of the box and i have my back to goal, i just can't seem to turn the defenders. Tips would be appreciated. Last night I scraped a win on penalties, the other guy was poor and I had all the possesion, but just couldn't beat the final defender.
Yeah, I noticed that the player stops if he's sprinting and you try to get him into skilled dribbling. If you want to avoid this, release the sprint button and immediately hold L2>left stick to desired direction>hold R2 -- respectively and quickly.

Also, simple turning with the left stick do wonders in dribbling, thanks to the reduced reactions of pressing players. When you have the ball, watch the direction your opponent player is running to to press you, and then turn to the opposite space. Unlike previous FIFAs, the opponent will take more time to react to this turn you made, which is realistic.

agaru said:
Yeah, I noticed that the player stops if he's sprinting and you try to get him into skilled dribbling. If you want to avoid this, release the sprint button and immediately hold L2>left stick to desired direction>hold R2 -- respectively and quickly.

Also, simple turning with the left stick do wonders in dribbling, thanks to the reduced reactions of pressing players. When you have the ball, watch the direction your opponent player is running to to press you, and then turn to the opposite space. Unlike previous FIFAs, the opponent will take more time to react to this turn you made, which is realistic.

Cheers man, i'll give it a whirl, any tips for when your back is to goal and there is a defender behind you ? :D

agaru

Jamesearlcash said:
Cheers man, i'll give it a whirl, any tips for when your back is to goal and there is a defender behind you ? :D
Personally, in a situation like this I try to pass the ball back to a teammate, or dribble my way back until support arrives. But, if you wanna go the risky way to show your opponent some flare you can do this: juggle the ball (hold L2, tap R1) then quickly hold the left stick to your player's left or right and then bang do a volley, OR juggle the ball and hold the left stick to the back of your player and the ball will travel in the air past the defender and your player will run after it. It looks awesome when executed perfectly. A final suggestion is if your player has 3/4/5 stars rating for skill moves, then juggle the ball and hold the left stick to the front direction of your player; he'll flick the ball high above his head, when this happens press the shooting button. Result? He'll do a bicycle acrobatic kick! :D (your back must be facing the goal in this last suggestion). You can practice all this in the arena against GK-only.

agaru said:
Personally, in a situation like this I try to pass the ball back to a teammate, or dribble my way back until support arrives. But, if you wanna go the risky way to show your opponent some flare you can do this: juggle the ball (hold L2, tap R1) then quickly hold the left stick to your player's left or right and then bang do a volley, OR juggle the ball and hold the left stick to the back of your player and the ball will travel in the air past the defender and your player will run after it. It looks awesome when executed perfectly. A final suggestion is if your player has 5 stars rating for skill moves, then juggle the ball and hold the left stick to the front direction of your player; he'll flick the ball high above his head, when this happens press the shooting button. Result? He'll do a bicycle acrobatic kick! :D (your back must be facing the goal in this last suggestion). You can practice all this in the arena against GK-only.

Whoa, i think i'll try the running away or passing back lol ! In previous fifa's i've had a bit of luck with spinning the defender with my first touch, but the door seems firmly shut now. I might look into dummying it through my legs and hoping it tricks him, i've seen that a few times in fifa 11. Anyway, cheers bud.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
k0ji-wd said:

WTF.
...but who was the goal?

agaru

Jamesearlcash said:
Whoa, i think i'll try the running away or passing back lol ! In previous fifa's i've had a bit of luck with spinning the defender with my first touch, but the door seems firmly shut now. I might look into dummying it through my legs and hoping it tricks him, i've seen that a few times in fifa 11. Anyway, cheers bud.
Oh, if your covered-from-behind player doesn't have the ball but rather is receiving a pass from a teammate, then that's a different story! :lol Yeah, dummy sometimes works even though it slows your player down a bit. Also, the right stick flick (first touch) works well if you try to aim it at the open space behind you and not at the the defender. It requires some delicacy to flick the ball slightly away from your opponent.

In my previous post, I thought you're talking about when the player is already possessing the ball and there's a defender behind him. Oh, and btw I don't think you need 5* skill moves rating for the bicycle kick. You can now do fine with 3/4*. :D

ElyrionX

speedpop said:
Starting to get sick of how sluggish this game feels for any team below 4 stars. I've just had 3 consecutive 0-0 draws (one of which was against Chelsea) and it's all a load of shit because my strikers absolutely stink at one-on-one situations with the keeper. Any goal I have scored at all this season is due to crosses or where the ball pops up in my position due to an animated "collapse" by a defender or teammate. Played 9 games in the season so far and 6 of them have been draws.

I also like how lazy EA are when it came to "training" and dictating how a player's growth ability goes. Last year was a joke because it was too overpowered; get the best trainers and such and even your shitty B-class defender could be worth millions within the year. This time they've simply taken all of that shit out because they can't code it correctly, so now it relies upon an automated system where even I can't predict how it works. I've figured it relied upon player ratings at the end of each game, but one of my young defensive midfielders has had consistent 8's and a few man-of-the-match's and he hasn't budged a single way even though several others have.

I'll give the game a full season and see how it goes but at the moment I'm simply tired of slogging through an entire match and having zero goals to show for it.

I tried switching to semi from assisted passing and got many consecutive 0-0 draws. Maybe I haven't got the hang of it yet but I noticed that the difference in the passing skill of players are a lot more exaggerated in semi to the point of being unrealistic.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Jamesearlcash said:

you still can spin on him if you got someone big enough and got the space. You can also do that little Henry-esqe flick off the pass. It's not hard to spin in and get a shot off. But if you try to spin off and run in it's not working unless there's no help and even then you won't have much time because the AI will just clip through you and pop the ball out.

Also you can flick the ball past the defender using the right stick. Back in FIFA 10 you could do that by doing a sudden sprint. Now you actually have to use the right stick which sucks ass because they kick the shit out of the ball and it will intentionally flick it at someone. I'm not sure if it's because the AI cheats or because it just wants to to create some sort of battle or canned move. There have been times where i'll actually get it to flick into a tight space space and he will do that hop step thing even though nobody is there. and that usually ends up with the computer walking over and pushing my bitch ass off my path (it's astounding how much the computer will just flat out take dudes out in a off the ball battle or situation and get NO penalty for it)

sun-drop

just got home with it and just been messing about in the menus ...right off the bat two huge additions

the highlight feature - i've been waiting for this for aggges, madden like replay saves post match, incl ONLINE. MINT

custom offline tournaments - brilliant , there are 8 of us at the office who spend our breaks playing fifa, we've been using a spreadsheet saved on a network drive to orgnise points and matches in fifa10 ... but this mode helps out big time, can set each teams settings , so we dnt have to muck around with line ups etc each time, lots of customization re games played bewteen each team, groups, knock out phases etc .... the only HUGE bumer is that come match day all the games are set in an order .. which blows cause we tend to play each other when each of us is free, so if we want to use this mode we'll have to have friendlies the times our breaks dont match up with a opponent who's due to play us next in the turny ..... we should be able to go into the calender and pick which match of the day to play with out causing a sim.

controller setup is great to .. pretty sure F10 didn't have it, but being able to pick alt config at the controller selection screen is GREAT.

so happy and i haven't even played a game yet lol

Magicked

Has anyone else noticed there seem to be a lot of fouls called for legitimate tackles? I get called all the time during physical challenges, but the replay clearly shows me winning the ball. Sometimes it's fine, because I go through the player to get the ball, but other times I get the ball first. It's not a huge deal though, because it adds some realism I think.

I also like that persistent fouling will eventually lead to a yellow card.

iFootball

Jamesearlcash said:

THIS.

Current streak online: -6... wtf...

OH! and BTW... what the hell happened with Headers this year??.. I've lost games with +2 goal difference scored only with headers... My players just forgot how to defend those this years

Magicked

carvasd said:
THIS.

Current streak online: -6... wtf...

OH! and BTW... what the hell happened with Headers this year??.. I've lost games with +2 goal difference scored only with headers... My players just forgot how to defend those this years

Yea, I'm also having a hard time with online games this year. Hopefully it'll click soon.

Top Bottom