• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

carvasd said:
THIS.

Current streak online: -6... wtf...

OH! and BTW... what the hell happened with Headers this year??.. I've lost games with +2 goal difference scored only with headers... My players just forgot how to defend those this years

Defending crosses seems to be a problem at the moment. Reminds me a little of last year's FIFA when if you switched player to a defender the defender's motion and brain would completely stop.

iFootball

Chriswok said:
Defending crosses seems to be a problem at the moment. Reminds me a little of last year's FIFA when if you switched player to a defender the defender's motion and brain would completely stop.

Oh yeah I hated that!... but, did you see that this year they added the option to allow the game to auto-switch player and to control whether the defender keeps his current direction.. I think that helped a bit...

But still... crosses are the new easy way to score if you chose a 4+ star team... or at least that's how I've lost on FIFA 2011... this type of unbalanced gameplay is what breaks any game, as people will notice and just abuse it

carvasd said:
Oh yeah I hated that!... but, did you see that this year they added the option to allow the game to auto-switch player and to control whether the defender keeps his current direction.. I think that helped a bit...

But still... crosses are the new easy way to score if you chose a 4+ star team... or at least that's how I've lost on FIFA 2011... this type of unbalanced gameplay is what breaks any game, as people will notice and just abuse it

Aye. Strength is too powerful at the moment in every regard.

Played some Manager Mode last night w/ Huddersfield. Been tough to score in these lower league slugfests, but I'm getting better.
MMaRsu said:
Cornballer you home yet? :)
Sorry, man. I got back late. I'll be on this weekend.
adelante said:
People used to fill up the whole bar for a faster pass in previous games but not only does that equate to an overpowered pass in FIFA11, you now only need to apply the appropriate amount of power (the indicator takes into consideration of how far your target is so a general guideline would be to do just that).
Ah, maybe that's why my through balls haven't been working so well. Think I might be overcooking them.

k0ji-wd

Chriswok said:
8 hours left for EA to sort the servers out, fuck yeah! :D

Oh shit, you just reminded me. . .fuck. I know some clubs are completely fucked, while others are totally fine. STILL HYPED.

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
ElyrionX said:
1) Foul system is broken. Many obvious fouls simply do not get picked up by the ref and this might be just my imagination but the AI seems to get away with a lot of clear fouls. The advantage system is also broken. Too often, the ref plays the advantage but pulls back the ball for a free kick long after the fouled player has recovered and got tackled fairly.

From wikipedia on this topic:

The referee may "call back" play and penalise the original offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue within a short period, typically taken to be four to five seconds.

Essentially, the rule is not there to allow time for a player to recover and the game to continue, but only if there is a perceived advantage. So a player who may have regained control of the ball but is still being tracked by a defender and loses the ball a few seconds later would usually expect play to be brought back for a free kick.

fresquito

I've been playing the demo for PC and having a blast. I have some doubts about the final product though.

- Is the some kind of League mode where you can sign players and stuff like that? How good is it? You better tell me it's better than crappy ML from PES...
- How's the online?
- How good is career mode?
- Is there any editing tool so I can download a save with updated squads, etc?
- Anything you'd like to comment?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, no, I don't own a PS360.

Magicked

fresquito said:
I've been playing the demo for PC and having a blast. I have some doubts about the final product though.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, no, I don't own a PS360.

- Is the some kind of League mode where you can sign players and stuff like that? How good is it? You better tell me it's better than crappy ML from PES...

The PC version is essentially FIFA 10 for consoles, which had a lot of small bugs. I still enjoyed the hell out of MM though. You can scout and sign players, but they all tend to get pretty good and you can sell them for a lot of money. Personally, I feel ML in PES has always been a solid experience. They never had the number of leagues that FIFA did, but the mode was generally less buggy and well designed.

- How's the online?

Good for the 360. Dunno how the PC will be.

I enjoyed it. You unlock accomplishments with your player by doing certain tasks (scoring a goal, making 5 successful ground passes, etc.) which will increase your overall skill. The best part of this is you can then use your player online in clubs.

No idea. I don't think FIFA has the PC support that PES does, but this may develop now that it is 'next gen'.

FIFA 10 was a good time. If you haven't played FIFA before on a console and don't mind it being last year's version, then you'll enjoy it.

fresquito

Magicked said:

The PC version is essentially FIFA 10 for consoles, which had a lot of small bugs. I still enjoyed the hell out of MM though. You can scout and sign players, but they all tend to get pretty good and you can sell them for a lot of money. Personally, I feel ML in PES has always been a solid experience. They never had the number of leagues that FIFA did, but the mode was generally less buggy and well designed.

- How's the online?

Good for the 360. Dunno how the PC will be.

I enjoyed it. You unlock accomplishments with your player by doing certain tasks (scoring a goal, making 5 successful ground passes, etc.) which will increase your overall skill. The best part of this is you can then use your player online in clubs.

No idea. I don't think FIFA has the PC support that PES does, but this may develop now that it is 'next gen'.

FIFA 10 was a good time. If you haven't played FIFA before on a console and don't mind it being last year's version, then you'll enjoy it.
Thanks for the fast reply.

Well, ML for PES was pretty meh, because, in the end you had your team full of koreans that beated every known player and were very cheap to sign. While some well known players would play like shit or never sign for your team.

BTW, I forgot to ask, how're formations? Demo doesn't let change them. Is there freedom or are all preset formations?

And now that we're at it, how the hell does heading work in this game? I can't win an air ball to Villa with Terry!

a couple replays I've saved over the past couple days

Nice GK Recovery on my VirtualPro - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4LZLDRj1mk

My VirtualPro holding his run perfectly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck7rJHUxU4s\

Spinning shot from my teammate on Seoul FC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJrF7sZE7sQ

Decent move by my VirtualPro then a nice cross and finish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6ikv8Y9uI

Diego Forlan finding a way to score off a "bum" bounce - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_UIaBYb3rE

Decado

What do people here think of how stats effect players when you're controlling them? What are the most useful stats?

Things like s/l passing accuracy, tackling etc. I wonder how much real impact they have, particularly if you're going manual for everything.

fresquito said:
BTW, I forgot to ask, how're formations? Demo doesn't let change them. Is there freedom or are all preset formations?
It's pretty flexible once you dig into the settings. It's certainly not as comprehensive as something like FM, but you can players to do what you want for the most part during the run of play.

Foob

What's the status on the PS3 league? I remember someone made some spreadsheet and I haven't heard anything since..

Get'sMad

Yeah I've def. noticed that a lot more scoring off set pieces this year. I can't remember scoring off too many free kicks online last year, but I've already hit 2 only having it a day.

Online has been pretty solid on PS3 in terms of stability while playing so far for me.....maybe it's just that I'm playing more people with solid connections, but I noticed lag a lot more last year.

I might stay in tonight and play this shit all night long.

Tf53

Roxas said:
OMG im fucking raging so much right now, LOOK AT THIS SHIT

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/39242390

Do that in a real game and its a yellow card and no goal. That was the winning goal too. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
"Herp derp, shouldn't have kicked it, durrrrrrr."

This was one of the bugs I hoped they would've fixed, but apparently not. One solution is to make touching the ball within like 2 yards from the keeper's kicking point a foul with a booking, but then someone would just cheese opposing strikers out of the game by kicking into them. Another solution is to make an invisible wall around the keeper (like there is now, but make it larger, and don't have it disappear when the keeper starts his kicking animation). Not as realistic, but way more fair.

I'm starting to have regrets about this purchase. Ever since the demo I've had tremendous issues in building up play. I encounter this problem kick off - I pass back and try to pass around in my midfield. But the players are often static. I try the player run button and once I get the ball and try to turn, it's taken off me and there is a counter attack. I know it's not the game itself but the way I play it which is undermining me. I've never had this problem in previous games.

If you can't pass around in a football game, even in your own area, then you won't get far. This is my frustrating. Finding X player, and then passing it to Y player. There isn't any movement in between my play. I've tried various teams and various formations. Ironically, in one or two of thse games I was actually able to find my players without issue but right now it feels like I'm fighting two people; myself and my opponent.

If I could record the actual gameplay, you guys would see the issues I encounter - my brother and friends have identified it within 10 seconds of me starting a game. It's a mental problem because I can't change my style of play.

Sigh. The only fun I get is in my Virtual Pro and the Club thing isn't an assured success.

help me not suck....

I lost to the computer twice in a row 4-0 and just got stomped online 10-0

I just cant get a decent attack going, i'm always on the defense....any tips?

EraldoCoil said:
help me not suck....

This. There is nothing you can do. What makes it worst is that your midfielders don't even get a second to turn - you get pressed, pressed and pressed and with this pro passing dynamic, you inadvertently pass the ball to someone else or pass to another team mate by which time the ball has got to him, that he won't have any time to do anything else.

:( Goodbye FIFA

Just hold RT/R2 to shield the ball, and don't hesitate to play the ball back to your defenders. If their forwards try to chase you down it'll really open up the middle of the field.

I love how you can't barrel down the sideline at will this year - they'll usually trap you against the touchline and dispossess you if you don't see it coming.

jlevel13

EraldoCoil said:
help me not suck....

Before you start worrying about your offense, it looks like you need to work on defense. Defense in this game is really pretty easy, so you shouldn't be losing 4-0, let alone 10-0 (not even with a 1 star team vs a 5 star team). Try to close down their attacks more and press with the second auto defender. Watch the tutorial videos that explain basic defense and offense. Go to practice mode and set it up so you're just playing against the gk and get used to passing, moving the ball around and shooting.

deadnoob

Arg, I just lost to Real Madrid from a CR7 bicycle kick. Then 2 seconds to the end of that match, the game froze....

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Man, i never played FIFA before, not even into Football. But a flatmate at Uni bought it today and we've been playing all night. So into this shit, i'm actually not doing bad. Considering getting the PC Version for my laptop...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
god the menus are so bad. how can a company so good at design be so bad at user experience? its bizarre.

browsing for players to buy is painful. I start wondering if I should bother wasting my life trying to use the menu. I'd probably rather just not buy anyone. Far cry from PES where I can spend ages just browsing stats. The menus were so bad they caused my xbox to crash when I tried to submit an improved offer for a player.

and apparently all 10 of my loaned players are on loan to Arsenal :lol presumably because that thing that produces the text for that status message just stops at the first name on the list.

Its a shame because the career mode seems really robust and engaging as opposed to last year. I like the messages, I like how fast things move, I can sign players so quickly.

But my god is the interface bad. kinda makes me shudder at the thought of diving deeper into other modes and what horrible menus I might find there.

Really enjoy the gameplay though. Only beat Yeovil Town 1-0 with Man Utd but I found myself threading some nice passes through tight gaps with manual passing, so either I'm getting good with it or the computer assist for it feels just right.

bit disappointed that Rooney failed to get away from his defender a few times though, considering they sucked and it was only on Pro, dribbling really ineffective or what?

Arnie

Meus Renaissance said:
This. There is nothing you can do. What makes it worst is that your midfielders don't even get a second to turn - you get pressed, pressed and pressed and with this pro passing dynamic, you inadvertently pass the ball to someone else or pass to another team mate by which time the ball has got to him, that he won't have any time to do anything else.

This is the exact feeling I got from the demo, I've bought every Fifa from the last 3 years at midnight or at maximum Day 1, so it feels really odd to be sitting here at night without Fifa and not even bothered that I don't have it.

Try the PES demo, it completely had what I thought was lacking in this years Fifa. I can't wait for next Friday now.

Arnie said:
This is the exact feeling I got from the demo, I've bought every Fifa from the last 3 years at midnight or at maximum Day 1, so it feels really odd to be sitting here at night without Fifa and not even bothered that I don't have it.

Try the PES demo, it completely had what I thought was lacking in this years Fifa. I can't wait for next Friday now.

PES demo :lol :lol :lol

Meus Renaissance said:

Maybe there's nothing YOU can do. But what about the rest of us who aren't getting dicked on? No offense but it's definately a skill level issue here.

Slizz

Ajay1986 said:
Loving the online play this year feels much better than FIFA 10. Heres a couple of my first online goals (I love being able to save online replays)

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/39282816

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/39282960

I too love saving online replays since thats mainly the only thing I play on FIFA. Those are some nice goals especially the second one. I finally got my outside the box goal on semi. I dunno how you manual guys do it.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/39282933

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
for those of you struggling, what settings do you use?

you have trouble with players not moving? thats odd, half the time I lose the ball because the guy I pass to has made a run I failed to read or my pass was too inaccurate for his run, the runs in this game so far feel awesome and more dynamic than any football game ever. I've never once thought "run damn you!!" which was almost every attack in older games (yes both series - fuck series wars).

trouble passing and holding the ball? switch difficulties down. There is no need to play higher than is necessary just because thats how you play games or thats how you played PES.

I started on WC/Legendary and tried to switch to manual and it was horrible. Couldn't do a damn thing. So I went all the way back to amateur and forced myself to play a good few games with it, even if I was humping teams I was there to learn the game and its worked wonders. Bumped it up level by level and now I find manual comes quite easily.

also, ditch assisted settings, I felt like they held me back and actually made it harder to keep the ball. If you watch your power bar, you see how much you pressed and the white marker shows how much power was actually used and far too often it results in a very slow laboured pass which leaves the receiver facing the wrong way or under immediate pressure and so on.

switch to manual, lower difficulties and only switch up when you're having fun and playing good football.

except shooting. manual shooting is fucked up, especially on tele view. How the hell does that work?

Bungieware said:
Maybe there's nothing YOU can do. But what about the rest of us who aren't getting dicked on? No offense but it's definately a skill level issue here.

Maybe. I wasn't great at FIFA 10, but I feel I could hold my own. Some have been able to adapt, and I met this one guy who was fucking unbelievable at the game - the dribbling, the skills; everything. I know when I'm well beaten. But, like last year how people felt they were beaten by the 'system' rather the football, I feel the same annoyance this year.

Arnie

Bungieware said:
PES demo :lol :lol :lol
I just want to play a game where the ball doesn't travel like it's submersed under water and the midfielders can find space without being pressed into oblivion. Look these are just the observations I have amassed from both demoes, by the end of next week I will have played the final version of both games and will be able to weigh in with full impressions.

I don't know about you guys but I'm finding career mode to be a bitch. I'm playing as Chelsea who should be a good team, if not the best but I'm just getting spanked controlling only my pro. The team seem to hold on to the ball for far to long. When they do pass it rarely makes it to the player it's supposed to, and often they make a more awkward pass to another forward with two defenders marking him when I'm onside right in front of them free as a bird. Nearly every through ball I receive seems to get caught by a defender when I'm on the turn. Generally there seems to be no great play. It's back and forward, no team seems to keep possession for any length of time. The worst bit is most of this can't be put down to my skill level because it's the system playing itself. It just seems messy. Thus far I'm missing the game play of 10... I hope I get used to this.

Bungieware said:
I had the same issue that Meus had with FIFA 10 as well. The thing is, after a while, it just becomes like the higher levels of Tetris. Frantic. The game is Challenging, but football takes a back seat.

PES 2010 was atrocious. So I had to play PES 6 and FIFA 10. PES 2011 seems good enough for me this year. I will buy FIFA 11 after it drops in price. Playing with a friend wasn't very bad in FIFA 10.

Arnie said:
I just want to play a game where the ball doesn't travel like it's submersed under water and the midfielders can find space without being pressed into oblivion. Look these are just the observations I have amassed from both demoes, by the end of next week I will have played the final version of both games and will be able to weigh in with full impressions.

When it comes to ball physics you shouldn't mention them in the same breath. If you want it to be more arcade style, then either turn up the game speed or go for PES. I'm not being critical over your gameplay preferences. Some people find that ultra quick passing more fun, others want it as realistic as possible.

sun-drop said:
first game online and a WIN, booyeh

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/39134502

then two fails ..but hey, fun as ...this year i think players who have been traditionaly good on the right stick skill moves will reap some rewards.
Right stick is extremely useful now. Just pushing the ball forward can help you get around defenders.

People are complaining about crosses but defenders block way more crosses than last year. They close down quickly when you attempt a cross.

Get'sMad

having some severe issues with my own guys running into each other all the time. This didn't happen quite as frequently in 10.

Top Bottom