• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

mjc

I'll start by saying that I'm a complete Fifa noob and I never really learned the mechanics of soccer. I played it through elementary school but that never got technical.

I bought a copy of this game because I had some fun with the World Cup game that came out previously. I have no idea what teams are good to play as or anything like that. Any general tips?

Magicked

mjc said:
I'll start by saying that I'm a complete Fifa noob and I never really learned the mechanics of soccer. I played it through elementary school but that never got technical.

I bought a copy of this game because I had some fun with the World Cup game that came out previously. I have no idea what teams are good to play as or anything like that. Any general tips?

For teams, the best are probably Chelsea and Manchester United (in the English PL), and Real Madrid and Barcelona (in Spanish La Liga). There are plenty of other good teams though.

In terms of gameplay tips, FIFA 11 is a lot slower than other FIFA games and is much more realistic. You want to take it somewhat slow and pass the ball around when you have possession. Don't try to force it. Also, make sure that when you receive the ball with a player you push the left stick in the direction you want him to turn. This can be helpful when keeping the ball away from the player.

Are these helpful? I don't know how much you played the WC game so it's hard to gauge your skill level.

ok, I have been working alot on my defense, it's coming along slowly but surely. Still pretty horrible though. but it's getting better.

in terms of offense, any tips on shooting? I seem to always boot the ball like crazy even if I put my power to about halfway, and it the aim of my shot tends to always be way off. Also, I don't seem to understand how free kicks work, can anyone point me to a guide or something that explains how shooting those work?

thanks!

Magicked

EraldoCoil said:
ok, I have been working alot on my defense, it's coming along slowly but surely. Still pretty horrible though. but it's getting better.

in terms of offense, any tips on shooting? I seem to always boot the ball like crazy even if I put my power to about halfway, and it the aim of my shot tends to always be way off. Also, I don't seem to understand how free kicks work, can anyone point me to a guide or something that explains how shooting those work?

thanks!

Are you sprinting when you shoot? The game takes a lot into account when determining how well your shot is hit. I typically try to let go of sprint and get my player oriented nicely before I shoot. It also very much so depends on where the ball is positioned at your player's foot. You want to have it a little bit in front of your player on his shooting foot when you power it up. This way he gets a nice run up and can strike through the ball naturally.

Obviously it isn't always possible to set things up perfectly, nor do you need to. Just try to get it set up as best you can.

Magicked

WJD said:
I'll repeat...

Jesus, one on one's with the keeper are hard.

Yes. Although, I've noticed that I hit a lot of my shots right at the keeper. I have to learn how to place them better. :\

Gibbo said:
fucking game keeps freezing on me! I play one online game in the lobby- return to the lobby after the match, and the game freezes. Seems to occur very very often. Anyone else experiencing the same issue? 360 version here.
It's happening to me too and a fair few people on the FIFA forums so you're not alone. I've tried everything from resetting routers, clearing my cache, uninstalling and reinstalling, playing from the disc, using wireless/wired and resetting my network setting on my 360. At the moment I'm just going to the dashboard as soon as the game is over and loading the game back up. Thankfully my Be A Pro stats are counting so I guess I'll just have to keep doing this till it gets patched I suppose although someone on the FIFA forums just suggested deleting old FIFA game saves as a fix so I'm going to try that now...

Got my Robbie Fowler virtual pro looking good now, just need to unlock some Nike boots and I'll be happy -

5044764767_543c88567c.jpg

5045388028_cac9433fc2.jpg

5045391772_e68aabb04a.jpg

And 'eating the grass' :p
5044767455_70acf0217d.jpg

Dragnet

I haven't had any problems with one on ones yet. Not boasting, just saying that I don't see a problem at all. In fact I'm fairly sure I've scored almost all my one on ones, though I do always play as Liverpool so having the likes of Gerrard and Torres helps!

All I can suggest is use the finesse shot and make sure to aim at the corners and not straight at the keeper. I've discovered a method of getting around the keeper almost every time in one on one situations too (only with a decent player mind you) but I won't mention it here as it could spread and get abused..though I'm sure it'll get found anyway.

WJD

Dragnet said:
I haven't had any problems with one on ones yet. Not boasting, just saying that I don't see a problem at all. In fact I'm fairly sure I've scored almost all my one on ones, though I do always play as Liverpool so having the likes of Gerrard and Torres helps!

All I can suggest is use the finesse shot and make sure to aim at the corners and not straight at the keeper. I've discovered a method of getting around the keeper almost every time in one on one situations too (only with a decent player mind you) but I won't mention it here as it could spread and get abused..though I'm sure it'll get found anyway.

Finesse is easy.

I'm talking about one one ones where you need to shoot across the keeper.

It's probably the most common finish in real football, so I'd expect it to be easier than opening your body and finessing it into the opposite corner.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFzysPpFycQ

Slizz

Dragnet said:

Change your settings to semi or manual, not assisted lol. It'll get a lot harder

Ok, I still haven't won a single game online due to people quitting every other fucking match. My question is, if the opposition quit what do I get? Do I not get my win?

thauoftkidd

Neo Member
i'm pretty familiar with the game i just wanted to inquire on what the community thinks is the most effective cross in the game. thoughts?

Slizz

thauoftkidd said:
i'm pretty familiar with the game i just wanted to inquire on what the community thinks is the most effective cross in the game. thoughts?
Depends IMO. when you want a cross in quick near the front post, I'd double tap for the cross. One you want far post regular cross, and I am liking the early cross more and more each day.

thauoftkidd

Neo Member
Slizz said:
Depends IMO. when you want a cross in quick near the front post, I'd double tap for the cross. One you want far post regular cross, and I am liking the early cross more and more each day.

yeah im trying to cross from the corner area to the middle..what do you normally use?

Slizz

thauoftkidd said:
yeah im trying to cross from the corner area to the middle..what do you normally use?
Regular usually, but most of the time the defender will always have position over your guy, so you're gonna have to jockey a bit while the cross is in the air.

Ok just got back from holiday in Florida and got my game, a minor thing but my team (Blackburn rover's) numbers are the wrong colour, they are black instead of red and it looks crap, is there anywhere I can change it?

ATF487

Manual crossing is the worst.

I switched my settings to semi assistance with shots and passing, and those may as well be automatic because there's not much of a difference with my style of play. But I just can't get used to running down the wings and crossing it with manual. Through balls are hard on manual too but I've been getting better with those...

but my play went from free flowing and beautiful to league 1 style thuggery

So I got it, woot!

I suck at sports games, and to top it off I really suck at soccer sports games cause Im still learning the game :D
But no matter, its incredibly fun and thankfully this year my team is in it!

Running with my Philadelphia Union and loving it. Le Toux, Mwanga, Mapp, Fred, and Morales! Even created my own pro and signed him to the team :D He hasnt scored yet but has quite a few assist to Mwanga and Le Toux.
I find it funny how size matters on speed and such, I tried to make him look like me and be my size but according to EA Im slow lol.

My Favorite mode tho has been Virtual Pro where you join in with a bunch of other guys V. Pro's. Its frustrating yet fun.
Seems 90% of the player base wont pass to you even when your wide open, and if you get stuck playing D-fense chances are most people want to score so bad that they will put them self offsides every single time. I found playing the game tactical and real and playing my position and marking my guys or not running end to end has me finish with a 7.5 or higher rating everytime. Odd thing tho, sometimes my V. pro name will be wrong, last night it listed me as Rooney lol.
Thing I wonder is, couldnt I just play the game on Easy mode to boost his stats by making it easier to get the accomplishments?
Im not to good just yet so Im playing Semi-pro I think, I know in the demo Easy was just to Easy and intermediate is perfect for me, usually resulting in ties or 1-0, 2-1 games.

Lastly, this game is friggin brutal. I mean you and the AI or human opponent can just toss each other around. Its as if as long as you dont blantantly slide tackle from behind you dont have to worry about ever getting called on anything. Ive never seen so many players in a soccer game get trucked or tossed to the ground sooo much, its almost like rugby or football lol. Just last night I must have saw my player get launched 15 yards lol.

My issue which still plagues me from 2010 is I cant seem to get any moves to work. I try to hold down L2 and do a motion with the right stick but usually my guy boots the ball away from him. Sometimes he'll pul off a feint but I have yet to pull off a sick spin move.

Also, what camera do you guys suggest or other options to change up? I seem to have to play on Tele mode, I cant play with the camera behind the goals, forget what style that is. Also I hate the auto-switching, do you guys dislike or think it helps?

Sorry for all the jibber jabber, love the game and just want to get good at it :D

thauoftkidd

Neo Member
enjoying the game! i play on legendary i just wanted to know if the community has any tips on protecting the ball? i find that the AI seems to strip the ball from me frequently...

longdi

Banned
I chose the PC Fifa11(Fifa10 engine) for the 1920x1200 and 4XAA and super fast menu loading. I heard from reviews that Fifa10 and Fifa11 also no major changes except for pro-passing which is something like manual settings. So far no major bugs. :D

The online is quite laggy. The more i play the game, the more i think maybe Fifa is not so superior than WE/PES. The player with the ball sprints away too fast. The playing field is still too crowded and there is still no jostle and mayhem in the box or in areas of the field. The game is just flowing from one end and back. The macro play is good but needs more micro.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
or you're just used to pes. everyone who comes from one series says that the other "just doesn't feel right"

longdi

Banned
The last pes i played was we8 ps3 and i sold it off in 1 month. Nope i am converted fifa but the more i play and playing closer on pc, i think fifa can make some more needed changes:D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
do you mean we8 on ps2? damn that's when fifa was a total joke. 6-9 was the era of total we dominance

longdi

Banned
i must mean we09 ps3, cant remember, happened 2 years ago, sold it for fifa09, which back then was a major stepup from other football games i played.

deadnoob

Pkm said:
So I got it, woot!

Thing I wonder is, couldnt I just play the game on Easy mode to boost his stats by making it easier to get the accomplishments?

If you look at the accomplishments list, you will see there are bronze, silver and gold ones. The bronze can be done on any difficulty, the silver are for semi-pro and above and gold is for world class and above. Or any of them can be done online.

Thing is, you can play really shitty teams on a harder difficulty to get some of the harder accomplishments. The players will press you more, but shouldn't be too bad on semi-pro. World class still may take some time to work up to no matter what team your playing against.

Also, what camera do you guys suggest or other options to change up?

I use tele. I like the closer camera because the players are pretty well rendered and look great, but you see much less of the pitch so I only use it every now and then to have some fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
longdi said:
i must mean we09 ps3, cant remember, happened 2 years ago, sold it for fifa09, which back then was a major stepup from other football games i played.
oh ok yeah that one blew :lol

Roxas

It pains me to say this as a united fan but I'm having most success with man city online. Tevez is a beast

I was fking around earlier in the arena and was trying penalties. I don't know what I hit, but I made a red(and blue once) circle/reticule come up and was able to aim it. I've been playing Fifa since 06 and I've never seen this.. wtf?

Also the game glitched in my Manager mode and didn't load the other team. The game started with just my team on the field and an empty net, but they came back after I scored. Weird. Though I haven't updated, so it could have been fixed by now.

Vard

sw33tclyde said:
I was fking around earlier in the arena and was trying penalties. I don't know what I hit, but I made a red(and blue once) circle/reticule come up and was able to aim it. I've been playing Fifa since 06 and I've never seen this.. wtf?
If you hold down L2 (I think) an aiming target appears. I believe it's just in the arena too (not in matches), since it's just for practice.

Slizz

Roxas said:
It pains me to say this as a united fan but I'm having most success with man city online. Tevez is a beast
I'm in the same boat. I find myself choosing City when it goes to matching club.

agaru

Jeff Albertson said:
Ok just got back from holiday in Florida and got my game, a minor thing but my team (Blackburn rover's) numbers are the wrong colour, they are black instead of red and it looks crap, is there anywhere I can change it?
I7pbq.gif

I'm afraid you can't. Nice avatar.

Also, slightly off-topic but everyone must watch this recent goal from the french league. good lord, taiwo.

The more I play, the more I get used to the quirks of the new game, the more I fall in love with it. Sprinting is very effective this time around, also some times it works better if you just move your player forward instead of trying elaborate dribbles (in the small area).

It's becoming great again.

There's something off about the fouls in this game - in the previous iteration it was too easy to pick up cheap fouls against you for blocking an attacking player, or barging them off the ball. This season however, light fouls seem pretty much entirely gone, but the referee punishes strong fouls very aggressively - I just got a player sent off (straight red) for a slightly mis-timed slide tackle coming in from the side.

Also, does the game seriously expect me to rotate my entire squad? I keep getting messages about how certain players overall performance is dipping because they aren't being played - well, those players in question are either members of the youth team or the reserves. That's where they get their game time, from playing reserve and youth matches. They certainly don't factor into the 1st team squad in real life (barring injury emergencies), so I don't see why I should have to give them 1st team matches. I guess the only option is to sell all the dead weight that would be reserve players in real life, and loan out all the promising youth players who aren't yet good enough for the 1st team.

agaru

Annoying Old Party Man said:
more I play, the more I get used to the quirks of the new game, the more I fall in love with it. Sprinting is very effective this time around, also some times it works better if you just move your player forward instead of trying elaborate dribbles (in the small area).

It's becoming great again.
Yeah, it seems the simpler dribbling decisions you take, the better. The switching of momentum for a rushing, pressing opponent has been noticeably toned down since FIFA 10 and this now helps in getting away with simple movements/touches.

And man, there are many online players who depend solely on excessive 1-2 passes for build up. Do these people ever release the L1 button? It makes me wonder if they even use their brains to wait and think. In many cases, there would be open space to sprint to or an uncovered forward to pass the ball to but they ignore all that and do this stupid sequential 1-2,1-2,1-2, etc. leaving their teams wide open to easy counter attacks.

agaru said:
Yeah, it seems the simpler dribbling decisions you take, the better. The switching of momentum for a rushing, pressing opponent has been noticeably toned down since FIFA 10 and this now helps in getting away with simple movements/touches.

And man, there are many online players who depend solely on excessive 1-2 passes for build up. Do these people ever release the L1 button? It makes me wonder if they even use their brains to wait and think. In many cases, there would be open space to sprint to or an uncovered forward to pass the ball to but they ignore all that and do this stupid sequential 1-2,1-2,1-2, etc. leaving their teams wide open to easy counter attacks.

This.

Moreover, I very rarely see a human player pass the ball backwards. It makes me wonder whether all the people complaining about losing the ball all the time are simply playing like idiots.

ElyrionX

The more I play this, the more I notice how unpolished this product is.

I mean, for petes sake, I had go online to google practice mode to figure out where the hell that is after I was unable to find it in the menus. And how the hell do I enter practice mode with my Career Mode team? Is it even in the game? And if it's not, how the fuck does something as basic as that get left out?

And let's not forget the worthless system they have in place for searching for players to sign in Career Mode. And the whole shortlisting of players that is utterly unintuitive.

In many many ways, this feels like a rushed product and it's probably that way because of resources diverted to the WC game.

I switched to FIFA 10 last year for the first time ever after being a life-long PES fan and was hoping for a better experience and I got that with last year's product. But FIFA 11 is increasingly leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Tf53

ElyrionX said:
The more I play this, the more I notice how unpolished this product is.

I mean, for petes sake, I had go online to google practice mode to figure out where the hell that is after I was unable to find it in the menus. And how the hell do I enter practice mode with my Career Mode team? Is it even in the game? And if it's not, how the fuck does something as basic as that get left out?

And let's not forget the worthless system they have in place for searching for players to sign in Career Mode. And the whole shortlisting of players that is utterly unintuitive.

In many many ways, this feels like a rushed product and it's probably that way because of resources diverted to the WC game.

I switched to FIFA 10 last year for the first time ever after being a life-long PES fan and was hoping for a better experience and I got that with last year's product. But FIFA 11 is increasingly leaving a sour taste in my mouth.
I think they have training in Pro Career at least. It's under the "my virtual pro" menu or something like that.

But I agree that the game needed a lot more polish. I can't believe it takes several minutes to skip to a date a week forward in the Pro Career mode. And why can't I simply skip a game if I'm not playing? Instead I have to watch as the teams are "warming up" (a euphemism for loading), but then when the game does start, I can skip to the end in an instant?

Once again, it's like nobody tested the user experience, or at least they didn't care about any of the criticisms if they did.

shock33

As someone said earlier, that's more a symptom of how utterly hopeless EA are with menus in games. Witness for the prosecution:

- every single sports game they've done for the past 4/5 years.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is it even possible to train in Career?

My player is finally in the starting 11 but he keeps getting dropped due to poor fitness. From what I can see there is no training or reserve games I can partake in to increase my fitness.

Fucking EA.

JWong

Banned
cjelly said:
Is it even possible to train in Career?

My player is finally in the starting 11 but he keeps getting dropped due to poor fitness. From what I can see there is no training or reserve games I can partake in to increase my fitness.

Fucking EA.
Career mode is kind of weird like that. I scored 8 goals and my manager benched me after that game.

Decado

Any tips on dribbling and keep ball possession?

The AI's laser guided tackling is pissing me off to no end. That and its inability to score on me or even put together decent attacks.

Top Bottom