• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

Arnie

Bought the game today, gonna dig into it tonight. After the demo it has to really grab me in order for me to properly enjoy it, and for the record I loved 09 and 10.

If it just doesn't click like the demo didn't I will take the loss and trade it for PES on Friday.

Adamm

I love the Virtual Pro game mode - i have played it basically non-stop since i got it :D

I have barely touched the other modes. Now all i need to do is find a team :lol

JWong

Banned
Decado said:
Any tips on dribbling and keep ball possession?

The AI's laser guided tackling is pissing me off to no end. That and its inability to score on me or even put together decent attacks.
That's football.

It's a very low shot-on-net sport. You have to plan your passing, and if you like to try and dribble all the way, control the speed of your player. If you're sprinting with the ball, it'll be really easy to take it away from you.

Also, some of the skill moves do work. I forgot what they are called, but spin ones and fakes do work. I managed to do the rainbow kick to pass some players, but only on pro camera.

Decado

JWong said:
That's football.

It's a very low shot-on-net sport. You have to plan your passing, and if you like to try and dribble all the way, control the speed of your player. If you're sprinting with the ball, it'll be really easy to take it away from you.

Also, some of the skill moves do work. I forgot what they are called, but spin ones and fakes do work. I managed to do the rainbow kick to pass some players, but only on pro camera.
I'm not a novice. I watch a lot of football and played when I was younger.

No, I'm missing something in this game (or the game is). All the little touches that skilled players can do to keep possession is missing. Particularly when defenders get close. Coming off the wing just doesn't seem to work (like what you see players like Nani and Ronaldo do) since close control seems to be missing unless it is all through tricks, which are a pain in the ass to pull off. Any good dribbling videos (besides the one in the op)?

As for the AI...they get somewhere between 0 and 3 shots on goal per game, and it isn't my skilled defending :\

sun-drop

Pplayed some online virtual pro team play last nite, three games and sooth as butter. Scored a goal and set up a couple others. Fifa team play is one of those co op team modes that just works.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Decado said:
I'm not a novice. I watch a lot of football and played when I was younger.

No, I'm missing something in this game (or the game is). All the little touches that skilled players can do to keep possession is missing. Particularly when defenders get close. Coming off the wing just doesn't seem to work (like what you see players like Nani and Ronaldo do) since close control seems to be missing unless it is all through tricks, which are a pain in the ass to pull off. Any good dribbling videos (besides the one in the op)?

As for the AI...they get somewhere between 0 and 3 shots on goal per game, and it isn't my skilled defending :\

I feel the same and know what you mean, but I do think there is some potential there, mainly cos the AI has ripped me a few times with awesome skill which genuinely fooled me into diving in.

theres loads of advanced and hidden moves that will take severe mastery to learn nevermind use in game. one tip I believe is holding LT and RT lets you do a shimmy which is one of the more common moves. always forget to use it in game though.

There's a lot of annoying things about FIFA 11. Glitches aside, I hate the fact that I only have 40 seconds to organise my team pre-match. I like to play as different teams, and play different formations. At least a minute is required.

Anyway, I'm a euro gaffer, anyone fancy a few games, add me. Will be on in the next 5 minutes.

Level 7 boss.

http://www.ea.com/soccer/videos/ugc/39946981

article-0-05E004D5000005DC-993_306x500.jpg

I shall be getting this game soon! :D

The more I play, the more frustrating it gets.
Once you get into a game it's great and plays smooth, however the menus are just atrocious and hinder every step you try to get into a game.
From the time of starting up the game, there is so much useless button confirmations that just don't make sense like language select and confirming stuff that you have to do to progress and pressing the start button. It should just take you directly to the arena from loading without pressing any buttons.
I also mainly play quick ranked games and if a game is not found or I'm disconnected from a player it takes me all the way back to the main menu which then requires multiple button presses to get back to where you were.
Also the menus in general are really confusing and cluttered and I'm someone who plays Fifa all year long for the past few years, they really need to overhaul the menus and user interface as it's seriously bringing down my enjoyment of the game as a whole.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Did someone say that you could unlock boots in the game? If so, how?

u can unlock boots for your virtual pro by getting certain accomplishments, but there arent any new ones they are the same ones available if you edit an existing player

elfinke

So I picked this up yesterday, since PES isn't out for another week or two (I absolutely adored this years' PES demo, unlike the last 4 or 5 years...), and have been enjoying it for the most part, FIFA-isms aside.

However, I noticed that I couldn't save any changes I made to my control lay out.

Pause - Wireless Control settings - Change stuff from Manual to Semi - Exit - (save icon appears) - restart game, everything is back to Manual? Am I doing it wrong? Ghost in the machine that once? I haven't had a chance to fire it back up today to check if it was just something funny happening that once or not :S

Otherwise, it's another step forward for FIFA, they really are reaping the rewards of the last few years hard work, though there is still a way to go.

Like, who on earth though the numerous different menus upon first starting the game were a good idea? The menus in gerenal aren't snappy enough for my liking, taking to long to segue from one to the other. And players still move as if moving through molasses with their feet rubber-banded to their hands. And even this one last aspect of FIFA has come a long way in the last 2 or 3 years, the time it takes from input to action is still annoyingly delayed, though that is more something I need to adjust to than anything else.

And is it just me, or are the player likenesses off this year? I know Vidic is an ugly mofo at the best of times (!!), but I found him genuinely off putting in this years iteration.

Otherwise, the new Virtual Pro mode is fantastic :D

kaizoku

AstroLad said:
you guys be sure to join the gaf club (360) if you have buffed virtual pros (or not!): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408194
I was one of the regular players last year but this year I'm responsible for getting like 8 guys to convert from PES at work so am trying to create a work club. GAF club looks a little busy too and the fight for places is one I'd rather avoid at this stage.

I imagine after awhile both clubs might peter out as people move on or don't enjoy it and I might bring a few stragglers with me intothe fold (considering last years gaf club ended up with like 3 to 5 ppl playing it was hard to get everyone online to play)

Until then maybe we can have some friendlies in awhile once everythings set up :D

But 3 of us played club mode last night and the lag was horrendous. If it's like that it's a game breaker, has anyone had good 11 vs 11 games? Last years was really hood but this time I would press up and my guy would run a second or two later which makes it impossible. At one point I thought someone else was controlling my guy.

That said I had a 1 vs 2 with me on manual and my pro scored and I played surprisingly well considering. Made some great moves. I should prob turn manual settings off for club mode though!

Facism

anyone got any tips for transfers?

Playing Besiktas this season, and despite having 40 million for transfers and £200,000 for wages, i can't attract anyone to the team because the league isn't "prestigious" enough. Which is really annoying when the players close all negotiations after they deny you :lol

Hixx

Ordered on thursday from Asda, still not here. Come on, man.

Should have just paid the extra fiver and had it on release from Shopto :/ Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Nyx

Facism said:
anyone got any tips for transfers?

Playing Besiktas this season, and despite having 40 million for transfers and £200,000 for wages, i can't attract anyone to the team because the league isn't "prestigious" enough. Which is really annoying when the players close all negotiations after they deny you :lol

Buy players from The Netherlands, Scandinavia, the US, Asia etc.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kaizoku said:
I was one of the regular players last year but this year I'm responsible for getting like 8 guys to convert from PES at work so am trying to create a work club. GAF club looks a little busy too and the fight for places is one I'd rather avoid at this stage.

I imagine after awhile both clubs might peter out as people move on or don't enjoy it and I might bring a few stragglers with me intothe fold (considering last years gaf club ended up with like 3 to 5 ppl playing it was hard to get everyone online to play)

Until then maybe we can have some friendlies in awhile once everythings set up :D

But 3 of us played club mode last night and the lag was horrendous. If it's like that it's a game breaker, has anyone had good 11 vs 11 games? Last years was really hood but this time I would press up and my guy would run a second or two later which makes it impossible. At one point I thought someone else was controlling my guy.

That said I had a 1 vs 2 with me on manual and my pro scored and I played surprisingly well considering. Made some great moves. I should prob turn manual settings off for club mode though!
Hm there hasn't been any issue with positions in any of the games I've played. Lag had been great too but clubs just plain not working has been a bigger issue that appears to be purely EA side.

I think I clicked with the game. Playing mostly co-op tournaments or single player tournaments. Don't care for the menus, though they're shit as every year.

It's hilarious that when you finished a game, the option you land to is not "advance" but a stats option, as if 90% don't want to advance straight to the next game/phase.

Also, they STILL haven't created animation/screens for a 2-player (or more) change. The change screen is even more awkward than last year's, with the camera focusing on a random player and the sound hushing quiet before the change.

But at this stage, I really think that i just want a FIFA game with PES's graphics (outside animation and physics of course) and I'm set for life.

Any tips for Virtual Pro mode? The AI is so laughably bad - I begin trying to play my role exactly as asked (Left Forward), until the AI inevitably concedes, then I have to resort to getting the ball myself and going it alone for a goal. Is there a way to ask for a pass along the ground or a pass through the air? Because when I press X the AI seems to choose which to perform entirely by itself, and it's often the wrong choice.

Manager Mode is a little more tricky this time around. I low balled an offer for a player (he was transfer listed) and the team I was dealing with told me that I couldn't have him and refused to discuss it further.

kaizoku

has anyone else had much experience with playing 11vs11 mode or club mode?

we were only playing 3 vs 3 and at some points it was awesome but when it lagged it was game destroying. press left and nothing happens so you hold it longer, then it remembers everything you pressed so you run left more than you expected and since then you've done a bunch of stuff and your guy ends up running around like an idiot for a few seconds.

Does FIFA let you save goals scored online? I wish they'd do a Bungie job on it, I would love it if I could go back to view my past 20 matches for example and make videos from them. Is this possible?

kaizoku said:
has anyone else had much experience with playing 11vs11 mode or club mode?

we were only playing 3 vs 3 and at some points it was awesome but when it lagged it was game destroying. press left and nothing happens so you hold it longer, then it remembers everything you pressed so you run left more than you expected and since then you've done a bunch of stuff and your guy ends up running around like an idiot for a few seconds.
We played a couple matches that were 6v6 or something like that over the weekend. There is a decent amount of input lag, so you have to keep it simple when you play.

agaru

AstroLad said:
360 so you can play with the gaf club
i4Msw.gif

ok, that's it. Awesome club on 360, NO club on PS3! COME ON GUYS. I'm sure around 3 people here already suggested that they'll start the club by taking names! WE NEED A PS3 GAF CLUB.

Also, after one week of constantly playing offline friendlies and unranked online matches trying to get into things, I can say I'm officially in love with this game, and there's no looking back! :D

Cardigan

kaizoku said:
Does FIFA let you save goals scored online? I wish they'd do a Bungie job on it, I would love it if I could go back to view my past 20 matches for example and make videos from them. Is this possible?
There is a "Match Highlights" option at the end of games that lets you view the goals, saves, misses, etc. As far as I know, that is the only option available.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cornballer said:
We played a couple matches that were 6v6 or something like that over the weekend. There is a decent amount of input lag, so you have to keep it simple when you play.
Yeah, if you're used to Clubs since forever it is the standard amount of input lag. Hard to quantify but maybe .25 seconds or something? You have to be much more deliberate and considerated with your play rather than reactive. The nice thing is it stays consistent throughout. I'm used to this input lag and in the three club games we played I thought it was very reasonable. None of the craziness you seemed to describe kaizoku. As I said above, the much bigger problem seems to be that actually finding games is very hit-or-miss at this point. It's annoying to have 7 people together ready to go sitting around for 15m+ trying to just find a game without getting errors. I guess lots of people have been freezing too which complicates things though I haven't run into that problem myself.

Magicked

agaru said:
ok, that's it. Awesome club on 360, NO club on PS3! COME ON GUYS. I'm sure around 3 people here already suggested that they'll start the club by taking names! WE NEED A PS3 GAF CLUB.

Start a thread on it. :)

agaru

Magicked said:
Start a thread on it. :)
Oh, I have zero experience on clubs, never been into one before and I'm not good at organizing stuff and gathering people along etc. :lol Also, not on PSN most of the time. So I think it's better if I'm just a regular member. If it's eventually not gonna happen, I may have to join a club with other non-GAFer friends.

Keikoku

Banned
How do I sign up for the GAF club ?
EDIT : is it true that you can disable the pro passing option during online games ? If so, this is the dumbest thing ever.

blaccat

How much interest is there how a PS3 Gaf Club?

I can organise it, if there are enough ppl who play regularly

Been on this thing since fifa 08 5v5, :lol

-x.Red.x-

blaccat said:

i play regularly

are the servers down or just me :(

Cirruss

I'll be interested in the PS3 club if theres space. Kinda suck atm as its my first football game in a good 4-5 years but gradually getting better at it.

blaccat

-x.Red.x- said:
i play regularly

are the servers down or just me :(

I got kicked off the server in the middle of a match, still cant get back on

For anyone interested in PS3 Gaf Club, get your Virtual Pro....improve him offline etc

agaru

blaccat said:

I've seen nearly 20 people in this thread showing interest in joining. If you're up for it, count me in. It'd be better if you open a thread in the online forums.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I liked the game at first but then i quickly started to hate it. Especially since i decided to use Newcastle as my first career mode team. I didn't realize how bad of a idea that was until i switched to the Spurs. The difference between the two teams is disgusting. But I can get over the difference of skill. It was interesting depending so heavily on Carroll. But what really bothers me is the AI. It's so bad. friendly AI is completely incompetent. Then the opposing AI is such a dirty fuckin' cheat. earlier today i flipped out when clichy got sandwiched by three dudes and walked (literally) right out of it with the ball like a fuckin' stud. I'm so tired of that shit. And don't get me started on the irritations of career mode. My entire defensive line got hit with negative growth and they've been playing superb ball.

Sol.. said:
I liked the game at first but then i quickly started to hate it. Especially since i decided to use Newcastle as my first career mode team. I didn't realize how bad of a idea that was until i switched to the Spurs. The difference between the two teams is disgusting. But I can get over the difference of skill. It was interesting depending so heavily on Carroll. But what really bothers me is the AI. It's so bad. friendly AI is completely incompetent. Then the opposing AI is such a dirty fuckin' cheat. earlier today i flipped out when clichy got sandwiched by three dudes and walked (literally) right out of it with the ball like a fuckin' stud. I'm so tired of that shit. And don't get me started on the irritations of career mode. My entire defensive line got hit with negative growth and they've been playing superb ball.

You think Spurs are good, switch to Barca or Chelsea and see the difference.

I don't know why some people get so angry with small things. Maybe it's because I've been playing football games for about almost 15 years, but I'm finding World Class very easy with Tottenham. I've only conceded one goal in 8 games, won 7 drawn 1. I don't know why I started on World Class having played Legendary from the start in Fifa 10. Switching up now though. Anyway, here's a 'realistic' goal I scored with VDV against Sunderland. My favourite goals are always the ones that look like someone would score in actual match. The first touch right analog stick works much better/different to the past Fifas. I heavily abuse it.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/40155149

Top Bottom