• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

Guys i need help here, badly - my VP file got corrupted in a crash and somehow it erased my profile online too.

So when i boot the game it says i don't have a VPro anymore.

However, i still have a working career save, and when i load it my virtual pro career is there and my vritual pro player too - so somehow it exists inside that save - the ontly thing is that it can't find most of the stufff that was saved in that other save, like it shows up with no portrait in the menus, but i can play a game with it.

So, actually, is there any way to get it back from that save?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I successfully used manual settings against two mates online and besides some missed passes it was awesome. I was so pleased with some of the moves I was pulling off.

Manual shooting seems stupid though. On most camera angles surely the angles available for you are so small that it's ridiculous. A tiny degree difference is near post and far post and corner flag. That's just not realistic or worth pursuing IMO. Not sure it's even possible to master as a consistent skill which is superior or more satisfying than regular shooting

MMaRsu

Can't connect to the EA servers? FFS fix your goddamn servers EA. This is fucking bullshit.

Spending more time in this slow ass menu system than playing

kaizoku said:
I successfully used manual settings against two mates online and besides some missed passes it was awesome. I was so pleased with some of the moves I was pulling off.

Manual shooting seems stupid though. On most camera angles surely the angles available for you are so small that it's ridiculous. A tiny degree difference is near post and far post and corner flag. That's just not realistic or worth pursuing IMO. Not sure it's even possible to master as a consistent skill which is superior or more satisfying than regular shooting

I think it helps with distant shots though. Makes them more accurate.

MMaRsu

Christ is it me or is this game straight up soccer garbage.

I play with semi and assisted = passes go straight to the opposition

I play with manual = passes go out of bounds or to the opposition

Nevermind the fact that defending is straight up shit against clubs like Real because you just cannot get Ronaldo off the ball. Or against Manchester, Rooney is too fucking strong. I can almost never outrun players when I'm on the flanks, and scoring has become way too damn hard.

Is it really just me? Because I'm considering trading this pos in to get Castlevania.

I haven't had any problems, but I haven't played much online yet. I'm loving the game and the passing. I mean, obviously it is your money, so it is your decision, but try changing your tactics up?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Are you playing the CPU? Don't.

Ranked? Don't; play gaffers!

Game would be worth the $$$ to me just for Clubs, buggy as it is right now.

leng jai

I actually haven't tried online yet as my connection was been utterly useless for the last 2 weeks. Playing the CPU on Legendary is pretty sour but I still manage to win. It does seem impossible at times to defend though, especially against the stronger clubs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I couldn't stand playing the CPU going back to like WE8 maybe? Same old shit for every game every year; I don't know how anyone can tolerate it. Oh well reggie.gif!

MMaRsu

AstroLad said:
Are you playing the CPU? Don't.

Ranked? Don't; play gaffers!

Game would be worth the $$$ to me just for Clubs, buggy as it is right now.

I only play ranked, no manager mode or anything like that for me.

I wish I could player gaffers, but nobody wants to play me.

Look just now I created a match because it couldn't find a custom match ( rofl why the fuck not ), so a player joins but instead of me being able to press a to select my team now it said waiting for opponent in my half! But I was still in the select a team screen WTF??

And after that it disconnected me and said I needed a roster update which prompted me back to main menu but that wouldn't come up so now I have to restart this POS.

This game is buggy and broken beyond belief. I think I'll trade this shit in soon.

leng jai

AstroLad said:
I couldn't stand playing the CPU going back to like WE8 maybe? Same old shit for every game every year; I don't know how anyone can tolerate it. Oh well reggie.gif!

Yeah not much choice when my connection at home DCs every 15 minutes. I did have a long session with my usual Fifa friends and it was amazing how much easier it was to score. Penalties was freakin hilarious, one of my friends just can't seem to do it. Everytime he slips on his ass and the ball rockets straight up :lol

Magicked

MMaRsu said:

Nevermind the fact that defending is straight up shit against clubs like Real because you just cannot get Ronaldo off the ball. Or against Manchester, Rooney is too fucking strong. I can almost never outrun players when I'm on the flanks, and scoring has become way too damn hard.

Is it really just me? Because I'm considering trading this pos in to get Castlevania.

I don't have any problems passing the ball around. I play on semi for ground passes, manual for through, and manual for long.

MMaRsu

Cornballer said:
MMaRsu - come play some Clubs with us. It's fun.

Well send me an invite brother Id love to join in on some of those fun games, instead of sitting in the menu screen for 20+ minutes trying to find 1!!! game.

*lost connection to EA servers
*Opponent quit, heading back to the main menu
*You need a roster update, main menu
*no matches found > create match > opponent quit > main menu

FFS

AstroLad said:
you should just play with gaffers instead, get your feet wet that way. and if you really need moar fifa fill in the rest with quickplay.

Well if anyone wants to request me on PSN, please do, ID is PKM. It be nice to have my game picked apart, learn techniques, or at least hand over some easy wins lol. I'm 0-12 online ranked quickplay with 2 GF and problably 25+ GA :D Not sure how the chat is tho, can you talk openly with opponents? Most games I've played are quiet while team game consist of people with what sounds to be garbled broken mics.

My favorite mode tho has definitely VPro ranked team matches. Just playing my pro and worrying about my position I can usually end with a 6.5-7.5 rating, which to me is astounding given my overall terrible play.

Some issues tho I'm having with VPro ranked games are..
Some games the camera only follows me, which is cool but some games it follows the ball leaving me judging my pros position by a dot, which sucks. How do I get the locked cam for every game? Why does/did it change on me? (All came set to Tele)
Also, do you skills actually affect your player? It's as if they alter your skills depending on position, like it reduces your speed if your a defender. Kinda also wish there was more of an incentive for this mode like stats, rating is cool but shallow.

Lastly regarding other players, are people such dicks they quit if they don't get to be an attacker? It's as if once people snap off attacker spots then your 11 drops to 5-6, eithier that or they refuse to choose and your left sitting waiting for them to leave or someone to give a spot up. Me I don't care, aside from GK or Any every position can give stat upgrades and is important.

kaizoku

MMaRsu said:
No need, think I'll be selling/trading this game asap.

this is strange, I have the opposite to your problems. my experience so far has been that tackling has seemed almost too easy, I'm only playing on Pro mode and a few games online with friends or clubs, but tackling has been a lot easier than normal for me, almost auto pilot. a lot of the problems is that defenders feel too strong and if you're faster they just block or drag you back.

passing hasn't been a problem either, generally when I get a pass wrong I feel like it was my fault. I was playing mainly manual but have switched back and forth a few times. just persevere, try different modes and different difficulties before you give up.

kaizoku

Pkm said:
Some issues tho I'm having with VPro ranked games are..
Some games the camera only follows me, which is cool but some games it follows the ball leaving me judging my pros position by a dot, which sucks. How do I get the locked cam for every game? Why does/did it change on me? (All came set to Tele)

Also, do you skills actually affect your player? It's as if they alter your skills depending on position, like it reduces your speed if your a defender. Kinda also wish there was more of an incentive for this mode like stats, rating is cool but shallow.

Press select to change focus between you and the ball.

Not sure what you mean here, your base stats change depending on position and player build, but then the accomplishments you earn improve those base stats. you can change around at anytime though.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Idiotic question that I cannot find the answer to.

Are the Portland Timbers in the game or do I have to wait until 2012?

ElyrionX

I don't get it. FIFA 10 was such a great product but there are so many minor annoyances in this game that are irritating me endlessly. Braindead teammates, especially in front of the opposing goal. Crappy referee AI that get in your way too often and literally blindside you because opposing players hide behind them. The radar at the bottom of the screen that always obstructs your view when you're playing on the bottom flank. The goddamn autosave which you cannot disable. The lack of a practice mode in Career Mode. The needlessly slow and clunky menus and interface. And so much more.

Just yesterday I encountered a bug in Career Mode where a fixture was rescheduled and taken off the calendar. But when advancing the game, the game would still stop at that date and I'd have to play the match. I have no idea at all whether this would break my game later because the fixture is still indicated on a later date on the calendar.

It's all very vexing. I think I'm going to sell this game off. I don't need the grief.

MMaRsu

ElyrionX said:
I don't get it. FIFA 10 was such a great product but there are so many minor annoyances in this game that are irritating me endlessly. Braindead teammates, especially in front of the opposing goal. Crappy referee AI that get in your way too often and literally blindside you because opposing players hide behind them. The radar at the bottom of the screen that always obstructs your view when you're playing on the bottom flank. The goddamn autosave which you cannot disable. The lack of a practice mode in Career Mode. The needlessly slow and clunky menus and interface. And so much more.

Just yesterday I encountered a bug in Career Mode where a fixture was rescheduled and taken off the calendar. But when advancing the game, the game would still stop at that date and I'd have to play the match. I have no idea at all whether this would break my game later because the fixture is still indicated on a later date on the calendar.

It's all very vexing. I think I'm going to sell this game off. I don't need the grief.

Someone who agrees..finally

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
adios-muchachos.jpg

Socreges

Banned
xxracerxx said:
Idiotic question that I cannot find the answer to.

Are the Portland Timbers in the game or do I have to wait until 2012?
Do you mean the MLS squad? I'd be shocked if they were in there. The Vancouver Whitecaps don't even have an MLS roster yet, for example, and they'll debut at the same time as the Timbers.

MMaRsu

You mad Astro?

We can't complain or anything? I mean this game gives me more stress than any other game I've ever played. Surely I'm going to TRY and play a few more games before I give this game the boot but seriously, a whole load of points were ignored in making Fifa11, and in my opinion it plays worse in most cases than Fifa10.

Not only are there shitty things from Fifa10 not fixed in 11, there are countless new annoyances in 11 to begin with.

I like playing against friends when they come by, but honestly I play online more than anything and it's really really annoying.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Socreges said:
Do you mean the MLS squad? I'd be shocked if they were in there. The Vancouver Whitecaps don't even have an MLS roster yet, for example, and they'll debut at the same time as the Timbers.
Yeah it was a pipe dream, guess I will just wait for next year.

kaizoku said:
this is strange, I have the opposite to your problems. my experience so far has been that tackling has seemed almost too easy, I'm only playing on Pro mode and a few games online with friends or clubs, but tackling has been a lot easier than normal for me, almost auto pilot. a lot of the problems is that defenders feel too strong and if you're faster they just block or drag you back.
Yeah, I can take the ball from the CPU at will unless I bump it all the way up to Legendary. Even then they dribble right at you on every kickoff, but in the normal run of play they're more cautious.

For some reason I can't defend headers at all in this game. If I use manual switching, the AI seems totally braindead and will just watch the opposing striker leap up for it. If I use Air-Ball-only switching, I'm inevitably out of position at the moment of the switch and can't get a head on it. Don't recall having this problem in FIFA 10.

I can't say enough good things about the CPU defense on higher difficulties though. Very realistic.

kaizoku said:
Press select to change focus between you and the ball.

Not sure what you mean here, your base stats change depending on position and player build, but then the accomplishments you earn improve those base stats. you can change around at anytime though.

I meant, hypotheticaly you have a striker who is really fast buuuuuuut when you play VPRO ranked games and choose a defender role the game doesn't see you as a striker playing a defender but instead sees you as a defender thus nerfing your speed and such. Maybe it takes the generic defender build and applies your earned stat increases to that?

Offtopic, anyone notice crossing the ball in the air or corner kicks are almost guranteed goals now? I've played against guys and with guys who's main objective is to loft it up from the sides. And where in 2010 a corner had a slim chance of being a score now its common.

xxracerxx said:
Yeah it was a pipe dream, guess I will just wait for next year.

Thankfully my team is in this year (Philly!)
But last year I waited till the expansion draft and such and then "made" them. Traded all my guys over to the Revolution and made adjustments along the way. Had to create a few guys like Danny Mwanga and traded guys to my team like they did during the season (Mapp)

MMaRsu

AstroLad said:
it's a shame you can't play clubs with us though!

Well like I said I'll wait a bit before I get rid of it, see if EA can improve anything.

Clubs probably isn't my thing though, but I would like to play more games against gaffers. Not a big fan of playing a certain spot in a team.

MMaRsu said:
Clubs probably isn't my thing though, but I would like to play more games against gaffers.
You should've signed up for the league. :/

Check out the Club in any case. It's a fun diversion from head to head play.

xabi

anyone know how to check how long a player is injured for in tournament mode? I lost two of my better players for the last 6 games or so an dunno when they will come back...

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Just got FIFA 11 earlier today. But damn is this shit so slow but speeding up the game play hardly does anything for a more fluid pace like in 2010 WC SA game.
Another thing that bothers me is that almost every club that I've played against, were always extremely defensive. They almost always bunkered down and cleanly hack the ball away from my players.
:/

Also, wtf at playing defense. I was playing as Barca for a game vs Real madrid for kicks and when LPB came to attack, Barca's defense looked like decapitated chickens by running around hopelessly. This is noticeable in other teams like when I played as BAYYYYYYYYYERRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. The defense was ganging up on a Roma player but as soon as demichellis got the ball, Bayern's defense trampled all over it and I tried as much as I can with Demichellis to get the ball loose from my dumbass defense until one of them knocked my ball over to Baptista who scored a beauty outside the penalty box.

:/

valeo

MMaRsu said:

Honestly sounds like you're just bad at the game. Not being able to get the ball off Ronaldo? Wtf?

My biggest gripe is that they took out a few tricks I often used..

k0ji-wd

fuuuuuck i just scored a fucking bicycle kick with Berbatov from outside the box and then the dude quit right away, fuck.

valeo

k0ji-wd said:
fuuuuuck i just scored a fucking bicycle kick with Berbatov from outside the box and then the dude quit right away, fuck.

Hate that - you should be able to save replays even if the asshole quits

MMaRsu said:
and scoring has become way too damn hard.

Personally i've found scoring so much easier in this version, especially from crosses - I barely used crosses at all in 10 because it so rarely resulted in a goal, but bombing down the flanks and curling in a cross more often than not results in a goal for me now in 11, whereas 1 on 1's with defenders or the keeper seem more difficult this time around.

k0ji-wd

valeo said:
Hate that - you should be able to save replays even if the asshole quits

for real man, this will be a headline feature in FIFA 12.

the fucked up thing is that i thought about deliberately just not playing well, maybe even score an OG or something just so he wouldn't quit, cause at that point I'd had something like 20 shots on goal in the first half.

that goal was sublime though, petrov driven cross from his own half and berbatov bicycle kicked it into the top right corner. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

MMaRsu

why do so many people online pick Real Madrid..

and I've figured it out.. just do quick ranked match instead of custom match, you'll never find a good game with custom match ( I always set it to 10%max DNF )

Messi

MMaRsu said:
why do so many people online pick Real Madrid..

and I've figured it out.. just do quick ranked match instead of custom match, you'll never find a good game with custom match ( I always set it to 10%max DNF )

They are the highest rated team in the game.

Top Bottom