• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

I think the best settings for me are default, but with manual through ball and semi-assisted short pass. I just find that I can put the ball where I want it that way. Plus a tap of LB and Y gets you a smaller arc on that lofted through ball. :D

I feel good about playing online as Liverpool now, seeing as we're no longer in the 'best teams' bracket :lol

Hixx

CanaryRob said:
Anyone else find that defending is set in the magical world of Titus Bramble? Every CB acts like a fish up a tree and wing backs just hug the line and never tuck in to cover a run.

is this the Titus Bramble that has probably been the most impressive PL centre half so far this season?

He's also a fucking beast in-game. Scores from Corners for fun and destroys all centre forwards, animal.

Snowballo

Can you confirm that the only way to save/publish some highlights of your online matches is to quit (not to re-play) at the end of the match and go to the highlights' menu?

Tf53

Snowballo said:
Can you confirm that the only way to save/publish some highlights of your online matches is to quit (not to re-play) at the end of the match and go to the highlights' menu?
Yes. If you pick rematch, you won't see the highlights. Which sucks ass.

agaru

Kylehimself said:
Can anybody give me some tips on skill moves? I never could get the hang of them in 10 either. Like, I know the combinations but they just seem to never work. I've tried doing them a bit earlier, later, whatever, as I approach the opposition players, but they always just seem to stick the foot out and catch me, in 1 and a half seasons I've managed to complete only 8. The AI seems pretty handy at skinning me with them though.
The key factor to skill moves is good timing, really. The only way to get the hang of this is practice (the arena and friendly games are your friends). Start with the simple ones first like feints, fake shot/pass, or stepovers. Once you master them move on to the harder ones. Another important thing to consider is performing an exit move right after you do some of the moves like feints and stepovers. You do that by releasing the skill move trigger and holding the left stick to whatever direction you like to exit to, your player will explode out of the skill move and continue his run in that direction. Every skill move works best under certain situations, for example stop-and-turn is perfect when a defender is running by your left or right side to press you but might become useless in other scenarios. I think the CPU is generally better than human players in detecting and countering skill moves. I mostly play online and there, skill moves are definitely very effective and useful.

agaru said:
The key factor to skill moves is good timing, really. The only way to get the hang of this is practice (the arena and friendly games are your friends). Start with the simple ones first like feints, fake shot/pass, or stepovers. Once you master them move on to the harder ones. Another important thing to consider is performing an exit move right after you do some of the moves like feints and stepovers. You do that by releasing the skill move trigger and holding the left stick to whatever direction you like to exit to, your player will explode out of the skill move and continue his run in that direction. Every skill move works best under certain situations, for example stop-and-turn is perfect when a defender is running by your left or right side to press you but might become useless in other scenarios. I think the CPU is generally better than human players in detecting and countering skill moves. I mostly play online and there, skill moves are definitely very effective and useful.

This is very true. The CPU laughs at your attempts at subterfuge and 'guesses' the right way most of the time. I actually think it's a credit to EA's animation team that you can send human players the wrong way just through realistic animation.

agaru

LabouredSubterfuge said:
This is very true. The CPU laughs at your attempts at subterfuge and 'guesses' the right way most of the time. I actually think it's a credit to EA's animation team that you can send human players the wrong way just through realistic animation.
Absolutely. Skill moves and how they're designed and implemented in the FIFA franchise are one videogaming feature that I admire wholeheartedly.

CanaryRob

HixxSAFC said:
is this the Titus Bramble that has probably been the most impressive PL centre half so far this season?

He's also a fucking beast in-game. Scores from Corners for fun and destroys all centre forwards, animal.

The Newcastle/Wigan era Bramble, yeah. Considering he's not claimed an assist for the oposing team so far, I guess, means he's having a fantastic season :lol

I only tend to stick to a few skill moves, and only against weaker teams. I find it's almost impossible to flip flap your way around Puyol etc (or the mighty Titus 'Upgraded for 2010' Bramble).

I find a well timed spin move is your best friend in wing play online. Also a fake rabona in the early cross zone can give you lots of space to attack the goal. And any sort of fake shot works wonders.

As far as defending, I am always using the jockey controls, and only go in for a tackle when he makes a mistake, pushes the ball too far forward, or I bring in a second defender if he tries to cut inside. Even against Messi and Ronaldo, this works well.

Patience and timing are everything.

There's something i can't figure out, still - i'm a player in career mode, and for some reason (some very stupid reason) after a season, all the players that were bought this year by the teams went back to their old team (who the hell put them as full one season loans? Ibrahimovic went back to barca, cavani back to palermo, quagliarella back to napoli... yeah right, pathetic) and the team i'm playing with, Napoli, never buys any player when the transfer market opens.

When you're a virtual pro player in career mode, does your team ever buy or sell any player?

In the spirit of the last post I have another question about Career Mode with a player:

How the hell do you make the Team of the Week? As a defender I've logged games with high 9 ratings and had tons of standing tackles. As an attacking midfielder and striker I've had consecutive games where I've scored 4 and 5 goals and also had assists and I've never sniffed the Team of the Week in the 3 years I've played as My Virtual Pro...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TheVisualizer said:
In the spirit of the last post I have another question about Career Mode with a player:

How the hell do you make the Team of the Week? As a defender I've logged games with high 9 ratings and had tons of standing tackles. As an attacking midfielder and striker I've had consecutive games where I've scored 4 and 5 goals and also had assists and I've never sniffed the Team of the Week in the 3 years I've played as My Virtual Pro...
I got it when I won the Community Shield. I guess it helps only 2 teams play that week. :p

But, yeah, otherwise I would say it's pretty glitched how you never make it regardless of performance.

Decado

Is it possible to ask players to get into certain positions? I'm a fan of taking the occational long shot, particularly with players venturing from the sides (when they have the skill). I know there is something you can do in the formation screen, but is there anything else?

TheVisualizer said:

It happened to me once, at the end of a season - playing for nott. forest, i scored the goal that made us win the last match, which was the promotion match, so i made it. I was nominated player of the week and year all at the same time.

Plus - what the fuck, if all the loaned players go back to their old teams, after one season 90% of the transfers vanish like they never happened. FUCK, now this is BORING. Cavani's a killer with napoli and look at this, back to Palermo and i can't play with him and i'm stuck with the damn looser that comes from the bench... boring...

I just played a kid three times, and guess who he was each time? That's right Barcelona, Chelsea, and Real Madrid. He can't even get creative in rematches. It is pathetic. I'm also furious because I lost all three games, and he had no talent whatsoever.

I think there are different sets of rules for these teams.

No offsides for them. If they are offsides, they save it for the opposing counter-attack and call them offsides even if they're clean.

Goalies can't make second saves.

Crosses are guaranteed to connect to their intended target.

Outside finesse shots are guaranteed to hit the corner everytime, but distance shooters on the opposing teams will hit the woodwork.

Fouls are only called in favor of said favorite team.

Any others I'm missing?

(yes, I'm very bitter, and I need the stupid ping pong patch implemented.)

leng jai

SmokingBarrelX said:
I just played a kid three times, and guess who he was each time? That's right Barcelona, Chelsea, and Real Madrid. He can't even get creative in rematches. It is pathetic. I'm also furious because I lost all three games, and he had no talent whatsoever.

I think there are different sets of rules for these teams.

No offsides for them. If they are offsides, they save it for the opposing counter-attack and call them offsides even if they're clean.

Goalies can't make second saves.

Crosses are guaranteed to connect to their intended target.

Outside finesse shots are guaranteed to hit the corner everytime, but distance shooters on the opposing teams will hit the woodwork.

Fouls are only called in favor of said favorite team.

Any others I'm missing?

(yes, I'm very bitter, and I need the stupid ping pong patch implemented.)

I've been using Chelsea and none of that happens for me. I must suck. Hard.

Messi

Timekiller said:
There's something i can't figure out, still - i'm a player in career mode, and for some reason (some very stupid reason) after a season, all the players that were bought this year by the teams went back to their old team (who the hell put them as full one season loans? Ibrahimovic went back to barca, cavani back to palermo, quagliarella back to napoli... yeah right, pathetic) and the team i'm playing with, Napoli, never buys any player when the transfer market opens.

When you're a virtual pro player in career mode, does your team ever buy or sell any player?

This answers my question. So at the end of my first season at barca ibra is going to return? I figured that but wasn't sure. Free 30 mil! :)

Messi said:
This answers my question. So at the end of my first season at barca ibra is going to return? I figured that but wasn't sure. Free 30 mil! :)

someone screwed up the transfers big time. They were maybe bought with the full loan formula, but just because it's easier to buy them like this, you get more time to collect the money and pay instead of making a single cheque. So Ibra or Cavani will never go back to their old teams, but the fucking game doesn't know. FUCK.

leng jai

I'm not even going to bother with carer mode anymore. The interface is beyond a joke due to the time it takes between matches and the amount of buttons you have to press. Add to the fact that playing the AI is an exercise in frustration you may as well just play online.

Messi

Timekiller said:
someone screwed up the transfers big time. They were maybe bought with the full loan formula, but just because it's easier to buy them like this, you get more time to collect the money and pay instead of making a single cheque. So Ibra or Cavani will never go back to their old teams, but the fucking game doesn't know. FUCK.

That is what is happening with ibra in real life. Idiot will never play for barca again... No I am not ibras biggest fan. :lol

Foob

sun-drop said:
oh well i've created a ps3 club, try searching for GAF FC , or GAF abbreviation, N.america league as i guess most of you are in that.

made it non public so i'll add as you guys apply.

i accepted your invite and it still says that i am not in any leagues...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
a bunch of my mates are utterly fed up of the game already, the online is a joke and the menu's are possibly the worst in gaming history? How have they managed that exactly? I could reel off a list of complaints the size of my leg at this point.

I still love it when it gets it right, but its embarasing when you sing its praises only to see it fail so badly.

we had 8 of us online at one point and we couldnt get a club game going for ages. thats after spending 20 minutes getting everyone into the club page because the menus are so stupid.

then we had guys dropping out and lag and all sorts. but we soldiered on cos we enjoyed it, and again couldn't get a match going. worst thing is we dont know why, bad connection? no matches found? then it would freeze or weird shit would happen. we even ditched club games at one point and just had a 4 vs 4 match. but we wanted to use our pro players - so how do we do that?

er.... try this, no, try this, no, try this? no. how the fuck? seriously if we want to take our pro players online to play a bunch of randoms, we cant? we want to use our pro players in a private game with each other and we cant?

surely with all those complicated menus there are options somewhere which let us do this??

Nyx

Seems I finally found my perfect controller setup:

Passing : Semi
Through Pass : Manual
Lob Pass : Manual
Shooting : Assisted
Crossing : Assisted

Timekiller said:
I'm starting to wonder if this game was beta-tested at all...

:lol

Aye. I've only been playing clubs, so had a bit of a culture shocking playing against the AI today. So many things annoyed me, and I'm sure I noticed some rubber band AI popping up in the last '10 minutes' of game time if you were leading.

Sometimes feels impossible to tackle the AI, strange fouls given, offsides are strange. Teammate AI is shocking too, I've seen 7 foot defenders lose to 5 foot strikers.

Chriswok said:

Aye. I've only been playing clubs, so had a bit of a culture shocking playing against the AI today. So many things annoyed me, and I'm sure I noticed some rubber band AI popping up in the last '10 minutes' of game time if you were leading.

Sometimes feels impossible to tackle the AI, strange fouls given, offsides are strange. Teammate AI is shocking too, I've seen 7 foot defenders lose to 5 foot strikers.

To me it looks like this: if you play a "world class" AI, your team equals to "Advanced" AI + you. Advance AI is so slow and mechanical that at the end you rarely make a difference, and if you make it, you really make it. The only way is to play with the whole squad, but you won't get good ratings and stuff, so it's a bet.

I'm actually guessing that about a lack of beta-testing because HOW IS IT FUCKING POSSIBLE that i got 4 (FOUR) penalties for handballs in a single 5 minutes match, and the average penalty-for-hand-foul-per-game is 1.5? What the fuck. EDIT - You turn that off, and they start scoring and blocking crosses and shots with hands, you get no penalties, no free kicks, nothing except for a hole in the stomach because of the bile.

Plus, holy shit, i got a couple of replays where the keeper dives as soon as i touch the ball - of course the keepers are better this year, they are CONNECTED TO THE FUCKIN MATRIX.

santouras

Timekiller said:
great........ I play as milan and am about to finish my first season. I really hope I can hold onto ibra......

alterno69

Banned
Is it me or like in previous fifa there is no variety in the goals scored, for instance the ball seems to only get in either trough a corner or right next to the posts, compared to PES it's kind of a joke and it's getting old fast. Also i fucking hate that the 1-2 is still so effective, don't get me wrong i can defend it pretty well but seems like it's used 95% of the time in ranked matches and it gets boring fast, not realistic at all, if there's one thing i love abut the PES series is how no goal is similar and in FIFA seems like there's only a few ways to score and to make the ball go inside the goal, i love everything else about the game, the pace, the animations and pro options but being a football fanatic this gets old fast.

santouras said:
great........ I play as milan and am about to finish my first season. I really hope I can hold onto ibra......

Maybe if you are the manager you can buy him at the end of the season, but if you're just playing with milan, then i don't think he'll stay.

QUESTION: How do i make my VP a Left Wing (as in LW)? If i put forward, it's an ST - if i choose Centerforward it's a CAM - if i put Left he becomes a LM

alterno69 said:
Is it me or like in previous fifa there is no variety in the goals scored, for instance the ball seems to only get in either trough a corner or right next to the posts, compared to PES it's kind of a joke and it's getting old fast. Also i fucking hate that the 1-2 is still so effective, don't get me wrong i can defend it pretty well but seems like it's used 95% of the time in ranked matches and it gets boring fast, not realistic at all, if there's one thing i love abut the PES series is how no goal is similar and in FIFA seems like there's only a few ways to score and to make the ball go inside the goal, i love everything else about the game, the pace, the animations and pro options but being a football fanatic this gets old fast.

The problem with online games not being realistic lies more in the win-obsessed fanatic nerds then in the game

Arnie

alterno69 said:
This. I rarely get that elated feeling when scoring a goal in 11, me and my buddies just sigh as the ball rebounds of the post and back to my players feet for the thousandth time, or I square the ball in the box for an easy tap in.

I think I'm ready to peak over the neighbor's fence.

Tf53

alterno69 said:
Considering that the goals are a direct result of how you play the game, it's most likely you. I find that most people have a certain style that they play with, which results in similar situations.

Do you mix flank play with going through the middle and quick counter-attacks? Or do you just find a pattern that works and stick with that?

Magicked

Tf53 said:
Considering that the goals are a direct result of how you play the game, it's most likely you. I find that most people have a certain style that they play with, which results in similar situations.

Do you mix flank play with going through the middle and quick counter-attacks? Or do you just find a pattern that works and stick with that?

Yes, this is absolutely true. In our online league, so far nearly all my goals have come from crosses. It's the way I've been playing.

JWong

Banned
Crosses and headers are so powerful. Sometimes I'm able to break through with my high level striker, plow past 4 defenders, and score a goal by myself.

Edit: Whoa! I'm going against Ramen United right now.

Magicked

JWong said:
Crosses and headers are so powerful. Sometimes I'm able to break through with my high level striker, plow past 4 defenders, and score a goal by myself.

Edit: Whoa! I'm going against Ramen United right now.

Hey! Better throw the match (or join us). :p

Magicked

JWong said:
If that was you, GG.

F'ing ref tackled me and gave you guys the ball.

Haha, I wish. I'm at work.

68h65u.png

leng jai

Okay I feel like I've getting better at this now and slowly but surely the goals are coming. Using the right stick is pretty mandatory now to push the ball past defenders. Got the long goal trophy with a Lampard bullet, it was only a matter of time. My freekick conversion is so good to the point that its better chance that my penalty shots. Its still amazing how many bread and butter chances I stuff up because the final pass is poorly executed.

Arnie

Traded this game in today, the worst Fifa in the post 09 era. The game's borderline broken, menu's, connection issues, manager mode are all terrible. The online is passable but even that still has the same monotonous, exploitable, predictable gameplay.

Slizz

Verano said:
hey guys how do you back pass?? what buttons do I press?

Back-heel pass? It's just a normal pass, all depends on where the recipient to your next pass is. If you receive a ball with your back to the goal and your winger is making a run behind you into the box pass to him(with your back still to the goal) and he should do a back-heel.

Top Bottom