• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Tf53 said:
I didn't mention any single statistic. You can outclass an opponent without it being clearly visible in the statistics.

That's absolutely true. Here's a real life example for you

The champions league final between Bayern Munich and Inter Milan

Overall
Bayern Munich Internazionale
Total shots 21 11
Shots on target 6 7
Ball possession 68% 32%
Corner kicks 6 2
Fouls committed 16 13
Offsides 0 0
Yellow cards 2 1
Red cards 0 0
Goals scored 0 2

Bayern have no luck :(

I will play with a five star team, I won't play with Real Madrid, Barcelona, or Chelsea. There isn't a point, you end up playing as two of the three stacked teams, and it comes down to zero defense. Strategy goes out the window, because people just throw the ball up to Ronaldo, Drogba, Messi, Villa, etc. Now, when you play as a four star team, strategy becomes more necessary because you need to control your build-up and try to catch your opponent off guard, and get the tiniest bit of luck. It makes it more exciting, and more fun. At least in my opinion. But when we complain about losing the the Real Madrid users, it isn't because they are a five star team playing football. It is because they are playing as a five star team and neglecting the fact that football is known as the beautiful game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
One thing that is very wrong with FIFA 11 is the camera view when you have a goal kick.
I always want to make a short pass to one of my defender, and most of the time because of the bad camera view I give it to my opponent. So frustrating!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I haven't tried myself cos I barely play head to head, but have you guys tried playing with different strategies to beat the unfair teams?

I'm definitely on the "thats a cheap team loser" bandwgaon, but on the same token if we've been given the ability to stop these monstrous players then its our fault if we dont use them or if we screw up.

Does anyone actually delve into the deeper tactical side of things?

More over, how do you think teams tackle it in real life? Sometimes you can snatch a win, sometimes you can destroy them as Sunderland just did to Chelsea, and sometimes you just can't handle them. This game is trying to be a sim and sometimes those players are just unstoppable. True fact.

agaru

I think one reason why Real are so good in this game is their default formation (4-2-3-1). This formation is rock solid, especially when having highly rated forward players. It can't be countered or handled easily unless you also play 4-2-3-1 or use a formation with rich midfield like 4-5-1 and so on. FIFA 11's Real is beatable and playable, unlike Spain in WC 2010 game... that shit was nonhuman.

sneaky77

agaru said:
I think one reason why Real are so good in this game is their default formation (4-2-3-1). This formation is rock solid, especially when having highly rated forward players. It can't be countered or handled easily unless you also play 4-2-3-1 or use a formation with rich midfield like 4-5-1 and so on. FIFA 11's Real is beatable and playable, unlike Spain in WC 2010 game... that shit was nonhuman.

yeah a 4-4-1-1 usually works ok.. or for some reason using Bayern Munich seems to do a good job as well lol

Is it just me again, or i have unexplainable problems scoring diving headers and free kicks?

With my Virtual Pro. I have an 86 ST, finisher, with driven free kicks and diving header traits of course. 5.10 tall, medium body.

FREE KICKS:

In FIFA 10, i really understood how FK worked - last thing i remember is that driven free kicks were ridiculously easy to score (basically 9/10 times was a goal) and curved free kicks were easy too, let's say i was able to score 6 times out of 10 with a nice classy curved ball.

Now, FKs look impossible to me to score with my Virtual Pro. I scored once in 150 games, and just because i hit a defender and the ball tricked the goalie. I keep shooting the same way i used to do in FIFA 10, and so far, nothing works.

Hints? I have Long Shots maxed, shot power and base skill. I'm a sniper from outside, but free kicks don't work.

DIVING HEADER:

Attempted twice in FIFA 10, scored none.
Seriously, how do i go for a dive? Same questions for Bicycle kicks.
I kinda get the feeling that if i cross to my VP with a double tap low cross there's a bigger percentage of him diving, or volleying, but so far, my VP simply never dives for a header. Any hint? I also have maxed out my header accomplishments.

What i want to understand is: it's me not being skilled enough in exectuing them or there's a strategy that raises a percentage of diving on a cross, such as using a low double tap cross or pushing the analogue in a certain way before attempting a header?

Hints guys, teach me please.

agaru

Tf53 said:
I remember beating Spain many a time with Congo.
For me, if the opponent gamer was decent (not necessarily very good-- just knowing how to defend, pass and shoot properly) the match would become an unplayable nightmare, unless I played a highly-defensive tactic with counter attacks, which I don't enjoy personally (with using low rated teams, that is).

Tf53

Feels good, man.

Just played a game online against a guy who started off with ManU. When he saw I was playing as Dinamo Moscow (and refused to change when he suggested it), he swapped to Real Madrid.

He went up 2-0 at the 20' mark, flaunting after both goals, giving the 'Shhhhh' celebration and the brick after the second goal. I snatched a goal at 26', and got even right after halftime. A couple of minutes later I went ahead, and right before the end, I scored the 4-2 goal and returned the brick as an added bonus.

After I refused to rematch, he sent me a message: "cheat".

I asked him how exactly I had cheated and suggested that he leave the showboating for after he learns to play and actually wins. Alas, no reply.

It's winning games like these that makes playing as a weaker team worth while.

fresquito

I've only played the PC demo and would like to know if lag input is any better in the final game. As of the demo, it's fun enough, but ultimately, too laggy. And how the hell do you head in this game? I mean, I press Run+B button and still Villa can win Terry.

sneaky77

Tf53 said:
Feels good, man.

Just played a game online against a guy who started off with ManU. When he saw I was playing as Dinamo Moscow (and refused to change when he suggested it), he swapped to Real Madrid.

He went up 2-0 at the 20' mark, flaunting after both goals, giving the 'Shhhhh' celebration and the brick after the second goal. I snatched a goal at 26', and got even right after halftime. A couple of minutes later I went ahead, and right before the end, I scored the 4-2 goal and returned the brick as an added bonus.

I asked him how exactly I had cheated and suggested that he leave the showboating for after he learns to play and actually wins. Alas, no reply.

damn right lol,
I had a semi close story yesterday against AC MIlan with Bilbao.. but alas he tied at the end to make it 3-3

Tf53 said:
Feels good, man.

So true, I love when this happens. Although I still do end up getting slaughtered when I play as Santos. But when the game is close, it makes it fun and exciting.

Kozak

Banned
I don't think I've lost to Madrid online yet... I use ultra defensive with counter-attack menatility with Fenerbahce and can always easily break through on a counter attack in the second half when the other guy is getting frustrated and sending too many players forward.

Chelsea are a bit harder because Fenerbahce defenders apart from Lugano can't seem to head the ball all too well and Drogba takes advantage of that.

The team I struggle most against is Arsenal. My players can't keep up with their pace.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Does anyone know if there is a glitch where you can get make it so that every time the ball goes out of bounds the game freezes for 120-180 seconds?

This one guy was losing and then did a substitution and after that kicked the ball of out of bounds every time he got it and I had to wait the above amount of time.

I guess the idea was to get me to quit.

I just wonder how many people know about this, because this is such a sad glitch.

sneaky77

bandresen said:
Does anyone know if there is a glitch where you can get make it so that every time the ball goes out of bounds the game freezes for 120-180 seconds?

This one guy was losing and then did a substitution and after that kicked the ball of out of bounds every time he got it and I had to wait the above amount of time.

I guess the idea was to get me to quit.

I just wonder how many people know about this, because this is such a sad glitch.

I've never seen that glitch..

A couple things I have realized while playing FIFA for the past couple of days.

1) The reason why I hate Real Madrid (in game): Casillas. He really does make about five ridiculous saves before the game will let a ball past him. It is kind of ridiculous. I don't mind the speed of their front (it is kind of legitimate, but they really need to give us more A.I. support on defense. I can only pick up two guys at a time, and then only the one I am actually marking is effectually eliminated from the attack).

2) I really, really, enjoy when you lose to the big three, when you clearly had the superior skills, and they had an exploitative or lucky goal, and then they refuse to rematch you. I interpret this as: they know they got lucky, and they are conceding mental defeat. I like even more when you draw in the same situation, and they choose to end the match as a draw, and even better won't rematch. It is sublime in most cases.

3) I have realized what I need to do to thoroughly enjoy the game; realize that it is only a game. I have taken to the philosophy that rank doesn't matter as long as you are having fun, and I have fun playing as teams that are considered inferior to my opponent, and then giving them a game. It won't always work out because the mechanics of the game are against me, but this ideology is keeping me from wanting to throw the controller against the wall. I can't afford that. :D

4) The quitting needs to be fixed. I don't even understand why people do this. Often I have people quitting when they lose 2-1. That displays a 3-0 loss for them + a DNF. It is illogical. So I propose this thought. A three strike policy; after three DNF you lose access to the EA servers for 24-48 hrs. This still gives leeway for one to quit out if they are getting destroyed early and they are outmatched, or for one to quit because they can't finish the game due to other commitments, but still distributes a consequence that, I feel, is not an overreaction, but fair. I think it offers enough of an incentive to stay in a game. It really is a large inconvenience in most cases.

Sorry for the wall of text, just figured I would share some epiphanies I have had recently. Enjoy!

Awesome Animals said:
4) The quitting needs to be fixed. I don't even understand why people do this. Often I have people quitting when they lose 2-1. That displays a 3-0 loss for them + a DNF. It is illogical. So I propose this thought. A three strike policy; after three DNF you lose access to the EA servers for 24-48 hrs. This still gives leeway for one to quit out if they are getting destroyed early and they are outmatched, or for one to quit because they can't finish the game due to other commitments, but still distributes a consequence that, I feel, is not an overreaction, but fair. I think it offers enough of an incentive to stay in a game. It really is a large inconvenience in most cases.

While I agree with your general sentiment about the quitting, it's not always the players fault. I currently have a 4%DNF and I only quit 1 time from a game, all the other times I got disconnected from the EA servers and it counts as a loss and a DNF even though I was usually winning and was in control.

I'm also looking for any tips on scoring as I have extreme trouble scoring on a 1 on 1 situation. My current record is about 60-14 which might suggest I'm really good but I'm using a custom formation which helps a lot to hide the fact that I can't defend and puts 3 men in the box for crosses or usually my goals are tap ins. My main problem is when I'm heading straight for the keeper, unless I'm coming from an angle I'm guaranteed to kick it straight in the keeper if I take the shot which is usually why I pass across the face of goal for a tap in.

Hmm...I didn't consider the d/c actually being d/c s. lol. There needs to be an added variable for that, but I will need to think about it.

As for scoring. What is your shot assist on? You can try semi- or full assist and see which one helps you. It is different for everyone. Also, use the finesse shot, and make sure you don't wait to long to shoot. Also make sure your player is square with the goal if you can. That always helps. Generally it is all about timing, I'm guessing you are having trouble because the keeper is rushing you, which means you can try a lob shot as well.

::EDIT::
Maybe the strikes reset every week, or so. If one is having a lot of trouble with d/c s then there is another problem in play.

I actually also exclusively only shoot with finesse and I'm on full assist for shooting as I need all the help I can get. The keepers also try to rush me but I'm usually on a break away when this happens and can anticipate them charging but if I try and take the shot and I'm running straight at goal he will block it 90% of the time which is why I switch it and then kick into an open goal.

There's also rare occasions where the game will freeze usually during a substitution and it turns into a waiting game where the first person to quit gets the loss and a DNF against them, in those situation it should just give a draw or remove the stats for the game.

Tf53

On breakaways, if the keeper is rushing, you can either push the ball past them with the right analogue or just move the ball just slightly outside your player's better foot and slide it past the keeper with a neat shot. You shouldn't try to hit it with the laces if you're coming straight at the keeper.

I can't seem to be able to do the bridge move where you tap the ball with the right stick and go around the player. When I attempt it the player just kicks it ahead of him, am I meant to not hold the run button or any direction on the D-pad?

adelante

Eyemus Lutt said:
I can't seem to be able to do the bridge move where you tap the ball with the right stick and go around the player. When I attempt it the player just kicks it ahead of him, am I meant to not hold the run button or any direction on the D-pad?
The bridge is performed from a jogging pace within close proximity of your opponent (apart from getting past defenders, the move allows you to transition quickly into full dribbling speed) and works best with a more skilled dribbler.

sneaky77

Eyemus Lutt said:
While I agree with your general sentiment about the quitting, it's not always the players fault. I currently have a 4%DNF and I only quit 1 time from a game, all the other times I got disconnected from the EA servers and it counts as a loss and a DNF even though I was usually winning and was in control.

The thing about that, is that for every 1 time that happens there are way many more that are just people pulling the plug, so even if I get a loss when is legitimate, I will take it, because I know people do pull the plugs way more often anyway.

Tf53

I'm on a slide. I was knocking on 2600 points, but now I've lost like 6 of my last 8 games. A couple legit losses where the other guy was better, a couple Real Madrid cheeser losses and a couple of games I should've won, but couldn't finish. Fortunately playing as Dinamo Moscow has minimized the losses, although I only got a 7 point team bonus when I played Real. WTF?

Tf53 said:
I'm on a slide. I was knocking on 2600 points, but now I've lost like 6 of my last 8 games. A couple legit losses where the other guy was better, a couple Real Madrid cheeser losses and a couple of games I should've won, but couldn't finish. Fortunately playing as Dinamo Moscow has minimized the losses, although I only got a 7 point team bonus when I played Real. WTF?

This game encourages the cheesers and playing with Real Madrid, Chelsea, and Barcelona.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Eyemus Lutt said:
I actually also exclusively only shoot with finesse and I'm on full assist for shooting as I need all the help I can get. The keepers also try to rush me but I'm usually on a break away when this happens and can anticipate them charging but if I try and take the shot and I'm running straight at goal he will block it 90% of the time which is why I switch it and then kick into an open goal.

There's also rare occasions where the game will freeze usually during a substitution and it turns into a waiting game where the first person to quit gets the loss and a DNF against them, in those situation it should just give a draw or remove the stats for the game.
Full assist for shooting is IMO broken. I've only used it once but it was set to assisted by accident and I didn't realise. I then went on to miss every single shot I had or had all my shots blocked by the keeper. I went from prolific scorer for my club to not scoring one goal in like 3 hours and loads of missed chances.

I changed to semi and it was back to normal, was doing the same thing and it was as if the game was guiding the ball in for me!

Use semi and basically point your stick towards the keeper and slightly to the top or bottom to kick it past him. IE if the keeper is at 3oclock from you, point the stick at 2 or 4, 1 or 5 are riskier but might yield better results into the corners and anything else is probably a miss depending how far out you are. If you're very far you only want minuscule movements from 3.

adelante

There really needs to be a bigger incentive for playing as a lower-rated team, it's one of the reasons why I've kinda held back on playing Head2Head.

Anyway, I've had no problems scoring on with full assists in my club games, perhaps it's heavily tied down to the your VP's rating? My friend recorded a couple of our matches and have put together some simple yet neat highlight reels for each of them...enjoy:

Indian Rojak United (4) vs Mummy (3):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwuxjEOdH1M

Indian Rojak United (7) vs Samurai (0):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijYrmiSd06c

Indian Rojak United (2) vs Miso Omen (1):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhJm6GIoSLw

sneaky77

After our league ends next week, we are planning to do a WC style tournament, with Intenational Teams, 4 stars Max. Controls is on semi. no auto anything allowed. Pass assistance off.
If you're interested and can commit to playing your games, please post here or send me a pm

ShogunX

sneaky77 said:
After our league ends next week, we are planning to do a WC style tournament, with Intenational Teams, 4 stars Max. Controls is on semi. no auto anything allowed. Pass assistance off.
If you're interested and can commit to playing your games, please post here or send me a pm

I will play. GT (360) = Shogun PaiN - Probably roll with one of the African teams if this isn't PS3 only.

Also I have Four other regular Fifa playing friends (360) (Non Gaffers) who are interested in taking part if you have enough spots.

Also if anybody wants a few matches from time to time feel free to add me (360). I play a fair amount of Ultimate Team as well.

Magicked

Shogun PaiN said:
I will play. GT (360) = Shogun PaiN - Probably roll with one of the African teams if this isn't PS3 only.

Also I have Four other regular Fifa playing friends (360) (Non Gaffers) who are interested in taking part if you have enough spots.

Also if anybody wants a few matches from time to time feel free to add me (360). I play a fair amount of Ultimate Team as well.

It's 360.

sneaky77

Shogun PaiN said:

We have 3-4 spots maybe.. at least 3. Being non gaf kinda hurts in terms of being to schedule matches and report the scores.

Magicked

sneaky77 said:
We have 3-4 spots maybe.. at least 3. Being non gaf kinda hurts in terms of being to schedule matches and report the scores.

We should get a few guys to test the online league to see if it has improved. Unless someone already knows how it works...

sneaky77

Magicked said:
We should get a few guys to test the online league to see if it has improved. Unless someone already knows how it works...

i like keeping the standings and results lol.. i think it works better

we can setup league to play matches, but still keep the standings like now

Magicked

sneaky77 said:
i like keeping the standings and results lol.. i think it works better

we can setup league to play matches, but still keep the standings like now

Either way is fine. We can do it all manually if we want.

Jal

What the fuck, i try and start career manager mode and the game just hangs.

I've deleted settings and re-downloaded the patch and it still won't work :/

Guess im playing Player Manager mode then.

Psyclone

Been playing this since launch and a huge fan of the series (I'm a convert since 09.. till then its been PES/ISS/Winning Eleven since 1998!). Great game obviously but got a few questions for you guys who play online:

1) When I first join a ranked quick match, 95% of the time, the first match up doesn't work (you can't select your team or they say team stars/rank is not suitable). Happens to you?

2) I sometimes score 2 goals in quick succession (under 10 minutes) and the opponent quits. Checking my ranking I realise the game hasn't counted that as a win!?! That's quite annoying. Noticed anything similar?

3) Can't get my head around free kicks this time! Any tips?

4) Sometimes when passing, above the strength bar you get another little triangle that doesn't necessarily correspond with the shot power, is that accuracy?!

Do add me if you fancy a game or 2 (more?! :D) I've currently got around 2900 points and on level 20/21?

PSN: mdaghlas

Happy Crossing :)

Kozak

Banned
Psyclone said:
Been playing this since launch and a huge fan of the series (I'm a convert since 09.. till then its been PES/ISS/Winning Eleven since 1998!). Great game obviously but got a few questions for you guys who play online:

1) When I first join a ranked quick match, 95% of the time, the first match up doesn't work (you can't select your team or they say team stars/rank is not suitable). Happens to you?

2) I sometimes score 2 goals in quick succession (under 10 minutes) and the opponent quits. Checking my ranking I realise the game hasn't counted that as a win!?! That's quite annoying. Noticed anything similar?

3) Can't get my head around free kicks this time! Any tips?

4) Sometimes when passing, above the strength bar you get another little triangle that doesn't necessarily correspond with the shot power, is that accuracy?!

Do add me if you fancy a game or 2 (more?! :D) I've currently got around 2900 points and on level 20/21?

PSN: mdaghlas

Happy Crossing :)

1) Happens frequently.. Something to do with latency I think.
2) I think those people are manually disconnecting the game which I think if its under 10 mins, it isnt considered a loss for them?
3) I stick with aiming at the furthest post, 2/3 bar full shot unless I'm directly infront of the goal and then just smash it at the goal.
4) The triangle is an indicator of where the strength meter should be for the most accurate pass.

I'll definitely give you an add.

Jal

adelante said:
^^ you tried transfering your save files to a USB drive? Might work...

I've not tried that, will it make a difference to a new game though, i mean i can't start a manager career AT ALL not just from a previously saved file.

Vard

This is a dumb question but where is the online mode where you ONLY play as your Virtual Pro, with the 'behind the shoulder' camera angle? I felt like playing that mode for a change but I can't even find it... Did they keep it offline this year?

sneaky77

Vard said:
This is a dumb question but where is the online mode where you ONLY play as your Virtual Pro, with the 'behind the shoulder' camera angle? I felt like playing that mode for a change but I can't even find it... Did they keep it offline this year?

all u have to do is change the camera being used in the be a pro games I think

Top Bottom