• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olympics+Day+13+Football+9toRZcgvslEl.jpg

stupei said:
We were the better team by far for the majority of the first half and held strong a player down almost the entire second. We looked like shit once we were worn out in extra time, but if you look at the game as a whole I think we definitely deserved the win.
To me the better team was Brazil for the most of the time today. The US sure showed heart in the end.

Goddamn, I'm choking up.

Such a dramatic game. So tense. So hard fought. So much bullshit, but the ladies came through!

USA USA USA

The stadium fucking EXPLODED

stupei

Mailenstein said:
To me the better team was Brazil for the most of the time today. The US sure showed heart in the end.

They didn't take a single shot on goal for the first 20 minutes. Marta is by far a more talented player than anyone on our team and she barely touched the ball until we were a man down. If you can contain such a skillful player, that's playing well in my book.

MrHicks

Banned
isn't football/soccer HUGE among women in the US?

not surprising they are good at it
compared to the male team lol which needs allot of finetuning

filler

Banned
Marta was magnificent as usual, but her team let her down. She's still the GOAT and now the tournament just got a whole lot less interesting.

I only caught the penalties but I'm guessing by the reactions here that the USA tied it in the last seconds of extra time?

Never sleep on the Americans in the final seconds of any match. HORSESHOES UP THEY ASS!!! Or destiny. Whatever you want to call it.

Happened with the men in last years World Cup and again with the women here.

Blackhead

Redarse
Mailenstein said:
yeah, can't believe USA were pressing Brazil in the final minutes like that. I almost thought it was Brazil who was down to 10 players. Brazil played better throughout the match imo but just took the feet off the pedal at the wrong moment.

stupei said:
They didn't take a single shot on goal for the first 20 minutes. Marta is by far a more talented player and she barely touched the ball until we were a man down. If you can contain such a skillful player, that's playing well in my book.
It sure is, but I'm looking at the game as a whole and in my opinion the US didn't show their best game today.

The USA player interviewed just said the team believes they can win. That's the attitude to have.

When the men's teams are asked that question it is always. "we just play one game at a time" booring.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
criesofthepast said:
I only caught the penalties but I'm guessing by the reactions here that the USA tied it in the last seconds of extra time? .

Yeah, you could say that.

criesofthepast said:
I only caught the penalties but I'm guessing by the reactions here that the USA tied it in the last seconds of extra time?

Never sleep on the Americans in the final seconds of any match. HORSESHOES UP THEY ASS!!! Or destiny. Whatever you want to call it.

Happened with the men in last years World Cup and again with the women here.

Man you have no idea what the US team was facing, a Ref in favor of Brazil, BS calls, an offside goal, BS red card, so much BS they face and over came it allllllllll....

Greyface said:
yeah, can't believe USA were pressing Brazil in the final minutes like that. I almost thought it was Brazil who was down to 10 players. Brazil played better throughout the match imo but just took the feet off the pedal at the wrong moment.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

jamieson87 said:
The USA player interviewed just said the team believes they can win. That's the attitude to have.

When the men's teams are asked that question it is always. "we just play one game at a time" booring.

To be fair, the women are world powers, the men are not.

stupei

MrHicks said:

We're currently ranked number one in the world, but everyone knows FIFA rankings are kind of a joke. I think Brazil is ranked third?

But yeah, it's huge here but our coaches for our women's teams are just as awful as the coaching for our men so there was a long stretch during the past decade where every other country was taking great strides and we completely stagnated. Our team was designed entirely around really direct play where they'd just blast the ball end to end and try to get Abby's head on it by having her fling herself around at the much smaller players on the opposing side. We've only started to play sort of skillfully again in the last few years once they put a Swede in charge of the team.

Celsior

MrHicks said:

Men have many different options that pay more money when it comes to sports. Woman's soccer is really the only big sport people watch woman in America.

MPW

Greyface said:

yeah brazil thought it was over after marta's goal, big mistake

iamblades

Celsior said:
Men have many different options that pay more money when it comes to sports. Woman's soccer is really the only big sport people watch woman in America.

I'd say women's basketball is more popular than soccer, as shitty as the WNBA is..

Softball is up there too, but it has probably dipped a bit since it was removed from the olympics..

Also tennis, but that's not really a good comparison because it's an individual sport.

stupei

Celsior said:

Actually women's basketball gets higher viewing figures outside of tournaments and pays more money overseas than professional women's soccer outside the twenty spots on the national team. But yeah, soccer is the acceptable sport to let your little girl play and is HUGELY popular in Jersey and parts of California.

MikeTyson

Banned
Marta looks like she's 35+. Not just because of that photo above. Also when she runs, she looks like a hunchback hermit going to war.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
MrHicks said:

There's a lot more competition for the men's game with other sports in the US. You have football, basketball, and baseball that can all get you to college/pros. Also for a reason that's somewhat hard to understand, since it's not really a rich mans game, it tends to be played by more affluent types in the US than the other sports. At my high school the soccer team was an afterthought played mainly by white preppy kids who were looked down upon by just about everyone except other white preppy kids. The benchwarmers on the football team got more love than the starting soccer players.

The MLS has a chance to change that, as it's becoming more popular and having a US based league that at least pays well will do wonders on making kids take the plunge earlier.

More girls played volleyball, soccer, and basketball and all we're equally viewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom