• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

lush

Don't bring women's basketball talk in here, that's sit is a dumpster fire, straight up. Softball is pretty fun to watch though, volleyball as well.

iamblades said:
I'd say women's basketball is more popular than soccer, as shitty as the WNBA is..

Softball is up there too, but it has probably dipped a bit since it was removed from the olympics..

Also tennis, but that's not really a good comparison because it's an individual sport.
The thing with this is there no pro league for softball. The reason the WNBA is still huge is it also gets support from the NBA, and that helps.

DD

I feel bad for the brazilian girls right now. The fact that they are so competitive impresses me, cuz' these girls don't have a easy life. In Brazil woman's soccer isn't taken seriously, and there's a terrible disrespect for the girls, who deserves better conditions to play their passion.

Sky Chief

NervousXtian said:
There's a lot more competition for the men's game with other sports in the US. You have football, basketball, and baseball that can all get you to college/pros. Also for a reason that's somewhat hard to understand, since it's not really a rich mans game, it tends to be played by more affluent types in the US than the other sports. At my high school the soccer team was an afterthought played mainly by white preppy kids who were looked down upon by just about everyone except other white preppy kids. The benchwarmers on the football team got more love than the starting soccer players.

The MLS has a chance to change that, as it's becoming more popular and having a US based league that at least pays well will do wonders on making kids take the plunge earlier.

More girls played volleyball, soccer, and basketball and all we're equally viewed.

Amongst preppy white kids it also has to compete with lacrosse

iamblades

The Frankman said:
The thing with this is there no pro league for softball. The reason the WNBA is still huge is it also gets support from the NBA, and that helps.

Yeah, I wasn't really arguing the economics of the sports, just more in terms of general popularity.. The support from the NBA does really help the WNBA, and I don't think the women's soccer league gets the same kind of support from the MLS. Not that the MLS can really afford to help the women's league, given they are struggling as it is..

Shadow780 said:
indiesocial.jpg

indiesocial.jpg

indiesocial.jpg

Nice. Do you have a bigger version of this for a desktop background?

Cubsfan23

Banned
all i have to say is:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO @ Brazil

and fuck soccer, we always get shafted by the refs, it's not even an excuse anymore.

Celsior said:
Men have many different options that pay more money when it comes to sports. Woman's soccer is really the only big sport people watch woman in America.

Um, basketball is a far bigger women's sport in the US than soccer.

In NCAA sports, women's basketball draws over 11,000,000 fans a season, with over 8,000.000 attending Division I games. Actually, Volleyball is probably the second most-popular NCAA women's sport, since the top teams in that sport double the attendance of the top women's collegiate soccer teams.

So soccer is likely the #3 women's team sport in the US. Behind basketball and volleyball by substantial margins, and just ahead of softball.

iamblades

Pristine_Condition said:
Um, basketball is a far bigger women's sport in the US than soccer.

In NCAA sports, women's basketball draws over 11,000,000 fans a season, with over 8,000.000 attending Division I games. Actually, Volleyball is probably the second most-popular NCAA women's sport, since the top teams in that sport double the attendance of the top women's collegiate soccer teams.

So soccer is likely the #3 women's team sport in the US. Behind basketball and volleyball by substantial margins, and just ahead of softball.

Forgot about volleyball.

Field hockey is also a fairly big sport on the college level, but probably well under soccer..

stupei

The Frankman said:

There's a professional women's soccer league but they were too proud to join up with the MLS in the beginning and I think it's hurt them a lot. Some of the WNBA teams have become independent by now and are making decent money because of very shrewdly understanding their market. The NBA gave the league the ties to ESPN and sponsors as well as well equipped areans to play in. The WPS plays in college stadiums and has one game a week televised on Fox Soccer. You can't build a fanbase around that and there's no longevity there.

Unfortunate too because some of these women are really entertaining. Marta, for example, plays in America all summer long but you'd be hard pressed to see her on television.

Zoolader

Daniel Dantas said:
I feel bad for the brazilian girls right now. The fact that they are so competitive impresses me, cuz' these girls don't have a easy life. In Brazil woman's soccer isn't taken seriously, and there's a terrible disrespect for the girls, who deserves better conditions to play their passion.
What impressed me with Brazil was how they laid on the floor and wasted time instead of wrapping up the game with a player advantage. Also how they kicked the ball in their own goal! I'm sure this game won't help their reputation.

DD

@ Guys who are bashing the brazilian girls: do not confuse the male with the females teams. If USA had beaten the males, I would congratulate the US team, but if you knew the differences, you would be congratulating the Brazilian girls right now. Really.

iamblades said:
Yeah, I wasn't really arguing the economics of the sports, just more in terms of general popularity.. The support from the NBA does really help the WNBA, and I don't think the women's soccer league gets the same kind of support from the MLS. Not that the MLS can really afford to help the women's league, given they are struggling as it is..
yeah, until an influx foreign players comes into the MLS it will never rise and get better. Unless somehow a bunch of great American-born players take the league by storm + Nike endorsements...

That's the other thing: to get that recognition you gotta get the endorsements also, Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain became heroes for thousands of young girls backs then with help from Nike/Gatorade/Inc.
W1SSY said:
I beg to differ on no professional softball. It was on the other day on television.
What channel? And why not try to get help from MLB? Yikes...

Atlagev

Justice fuckin' *served*. I have to say, the only diving/fake injuries I've seen have come in this World Cup have been from the South American teams, Brazil and Colombia, so good ridance. Get that shit out of the women's game. It's bad enough in the men's game. Erika with your fake-ass injury, go ask Homare Sawa how it feels to get kicked it the fucking *vagina*, and she stayed down a shorter time than you. Embarrassing.

Hopefully the remainder of the WWC is free of farces like this.

iamblades

Daniel Dantas said:
@ Guys who are bashing the brazilian girls: do not confuse the male with the females teams. If USA had beaten the males, I would congratulate the US team, but if you knew the differences, you would be congratulating the Brazilian girls right now. Really.

I really don't see how, considering they were almost handed the game, then tried to fake injuries to seal the game even though there were up a woman.

I don't blame them for the shitty reffing unlike some people, but I don't give them any credit for anything they did during the game.

Again, not hating, just don't see how their performance was anything to be proud of.

iamblades

The Frankman said:
yeah, until an influx foreign players comes into the MLS it will never rise and get better. Unless somehow a bunch of great American-born players take the league by storm + Nike endorsements...

That's the other thing: to get that recognition you gotta get the endorsements also, Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain became heroes for thousands of young girls backs then with help from Nike/Gatorade/Inc.

What channel? And why not try to get help from MLB? Yikes...

I think they do(did?) have some kind of arrangement with MLB WRT broadcasting, but it's not like soccer or basketball where they can share facilities, softball and baseball fields have different dimensions.

Cousteau

Clearly the better team won.
Brasil have the best player and a couple other really strong players but,
USA have the better overall team and that showed.
Brasil are below average on defense.
And due to only playing like 2 warmup matches before the tournament they where clearly not in good condition.
They were gassed the last 30 minutes.
USA dominated with 1 less player.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Sky Chief said:
Amongst preppy white kids it also has to compete with lacrosse

I believe that was more a NE game, but the last decade it's picked up a lot of steam over here on the West Coast.. but it's pretty much a preppy white kid game, but it's really robbed more from the baseball teams than the soccer teams.

Sky Chief

The Frankman said:

MLS is getting way better. I have season tickets for FC Dallas and the level of play is much higher every year.

Also, teams are starting to go for more young, international talent. Dallas just signed an 18 year old columbian striker, Fabian Castillo, this year by outbidding a number of European clubs and he is pretty damn good. Sure not an elite player by world standards but it shows things are changing.

DD

iamblades said:
I really don't see how, considering they were almost handed the game, then tried to fake injuries to seal the game even though there were up a woman.

I don't blame them for the shitty reffing unlike some people, but I don't give them any credit for anything they did during the game.

Again, not hating, just don't see how their performance was anything to be proud of.
Brazil has a nasty habit of giving support only to those who have reached the top. They are national heroes, everyone loves them. But before you get there, nobody cares, nobody encourages, unlike the U.S. where there is structure to the training of athletes, incentives, scholarships, etc..

In the case of women's soccer, things are even worse, because there is no incentive in addition, there is still much prejudice. Soccer is seen here as a man's sport, and girls should not play football because it's ugly. Women playing soccer is usually considered gay, so these girls have to live with the lack of infrastructure, lack of incentives, money, and still having to deal with prejudice.

That's why I'm surprised with the fact that the Brazilian women's soccer is so competitive, in spite of all they suffer. If that was the men's team had lost, I would be obviously pissed, but inside I would be congratulating opponents and laughing at the Brazilian millionaires who only care about cars, women and money, and not a bit about real soccer. But do what these girls do, despite all the difficulties is really surprising.

But oh, if they had won the world cup, everyone would love these girls, all the networks would go up to them, there would be parades on the streets, people would appear on TV saying that they are interested in investing in women's football, people promissing a female professional soccer league, etc... for a week.

Yeah, I do hate my shit country. For real.

Sky Chief said:
MLS is getting way better. I have season tickets for FC Dallas and the level of play is much higher every year.

Also, teams are starting to go for more young, international talent. Dallas just signed an 18 year old columbian striker, Fabian Castillo, this year by outbidding a number of European clubs and he is pretty damn good. Sure not an elite player by world standards but it shows things are changing.
Beckham + Thierry Henry + more talent will help immensely. Reminds me of the NBA in reverse where foreign players went to play in the NBA, got better and took their knowledge back home to improve their teams. The misconception that soccer won't be watched in the USA is silly, kids play soccer alot. It's the actual pro league that needs to get promoted by getting a contract with a National network (ESPN isn't enough). NBA has ABC, NFL has FOX/CBS/NBA and used to have ABC for decades, and MLB has FOX and used to have CBS, NBC and ABC... and that's not counting the specialty cable channels.

If they get stars the endorsements will come and the networks will want a piece of that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom