• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Ryu learns some shit with Oro at the age of 54

Sakura has succumbed to the dark hadou

Ryu saves her, sees that even if he trains hard enough the dark hadou will follow and affect him and his loved ones

Ryu and Sak live happily ever after without hadou business

Akuma stops existing shiner he was just a ghost all along

Ken stops training Sean because his son wants to learn how to horse ride and he sends him back to the slums

E Honda succumbs to the devil gene

Ingrid grows tired of humans, ends the world.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I read this:

As being dismissive of gameplay elements as a primary reason for playing a game in spite of its graphics. If you meant it otherwise, let me know.
a common defense of MvCI's graphics is that it's a 2v2 game with lots of stuff going on.

a common defense of MvCI's graphics is that it's a 2v2 game with lots of stuff going on.
Really? I haven't seen that once on GAF. Obviously that's bullshit since MvC3 has more going on and better graphics, though.

Re: NRS gameplay, the only thing that really bothers me is that almost every character has a teleport.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Really? I haven't seen that once on GAF. Obviously that's bullshit since MvC3 has more going on and better graphics, though.

Re: NRS gameplay, the only thing that really bothers me is that almost every character has a teleport.
there are lots of examples in the last trailer thread. I'm out and about now but i can post some later

CO_Andy

it kinda reflects on how a lot of people care more about how their games look instead of how they play
what do you expect from a community who grew up on mastering the nooks and crannies of Japanese games by and large?

the types who play MK see it as a disposable game. beat it for the story and move on.

Xevren

I definitely get the teleport complaint, but there's not as many now in injustice 2. Some can get them as gear abilities but even then its far fewer than previous entries for what it's worth.

I definitely get the teleport complaint, but there's not as many now in injustice 2. Some can get them as gear abilities but even then its far fewer than previous entries for what it's worth.

Is there a list anywhere?

Injustice 2 seems to have a rather large cast - it takes time to go through everyone and figure stuff out. :(

Xevren

Off the top of my head here's what I remember. Darkseid, Scarecrow, Supergirl have teleports by default. I know cyborg and green arrow have access to teleports via gear, can't think of anymore but it's possible I missed some.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Casuals at work, etc, like MK and the likes because of the fatalities and how realistic it looks. Anime and cartoonish stuff doesn't get their attention. And they think playing on a stick gives an advantage.

Kalamari

Personally, I'm excited to see the broken stuff from Injustice 2. We need another Justin Wong "welcome to the real world" video.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
NLBC is definitely the stream to watch come next week. Sonic Fox and a bunch of great Injustice players will be there. They are labbing it up right now as we speak getting early copies and all.

Tripon

Wavedash raises $6 million for its platform fighting game

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/02/wavedash-raises-6-million-for-its-platform-fighting-game/

The background and the vision that the two men shared were convincing enough to bring on March Capital as a lead investor for the $6 million round. Additional participation came from Lowercase Capital, Advancit Capital, CourtsideVC, Machine Shop Ventures, Luma Labs, and Cherrytree VC.

“This money gets us through our launch window which is Q2 of 2018. We’re going to hit beta this year and launch sometime early to mid next year,” said Rice.

Wavedash is supposed to be that Melee/PM clone. I admit, I thought this was going to be nothing, but they were able to sucker $6 million from VCs, so at least they can eat for a while.

Wavedash raises $6 million for its platform fighting game

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/02/wavedash-raises-6-million-for-its-platform-fighting-game/

Wavedash is supposed to be that Melee/PM clone. I admit, I thought this was going to be nothing, but they were able to sucker $6 million from VCs, so at least they can eat for a while.

Why do so many indy studios make characters that are lame Pixar-esque anthropomorphized animals? The Wavedash characters look so generic.

Numb

Why do so many indy studios make characters that are lame Pixar-esque anthropomorphized animals? The Wavedash characters look so generic.
Leave the indies alone. They are poverty within the poverty genre
streetfightercantgeta2rknn.png

All that's needed

Ashani.png

Animal characters should be ignored like usual

shaowebb

Because character appeal is something that not everyone can nail down via bodylanguage or costume themes. Karate guy, kung fu guy, cyborg guy, ninja dude...a lot of times these things just come off as generic and dont work for some folks during design. They just dont inspire the team to come up with animations that feel anything more than stereotype filler animations. Sometimes by using anthropomorphic characters it helps folks to not only open up their own creative juices for animations but it also makes it super easy for them to get a concept across visually in still shots. Anthros in Smash titles are a staple due to the Starfox game cast being so top tier in that community. Its a quick way to appeal to that group. Nostalgia for simple anthro cartoons or game mascots also makes anthro characters a simpler matter to get over with older crowds. And like I said...sometimes an animation idea is as simple as just making them act like an animal to add personality to an attack. For example instead of a divekick its a pounce or something.

Anthros have their uses in design and marketing. They make some things easier concepts to get across. They have a trade off like most concepts do. They will always seem more innocent and thus market more to younger groups or nostalgic older crowds looking for innocent characters reminescent to things they are familiar with. Fetishists will show up too of course, but if we're being honest here, unless you are pandering with overt sexual overtones in any game you should just realize that folks are gonna fetishize anything they enjoy online whether it is sexual in nature or not. Rule 34 is living proof of it so dont get worked up that "oh no the furries will be there" because even without furries a good game will likely have its creepers in its fanbase too.

Tripon

Because character appeal is something that not everyone can nail down via bodylanguage or costume themes. Karate guy, kung fu guy, cyborg guy, ninja dude...a lot of times these things just come off as generic and dont work for some folks during design. They just dont inspire the team to come up with animations that feel anything more than stereotype filler animations. Sometimes by using anthropomorphic characters it helps folks to not only open up their own creative juices for animations but it also makes it super easy for them to get a concept across visually in still shots. Anthros in Smash titles are a staple due to the Starfox game cast being so top tier in that community. Its a quick way to appeal to that group. Nostalgia for simple anthro cartoons or game mascots also makes anthro characters a simpler matter to get over with older crowds. And like I said...sometimes an animation idea is as simple as just making them act like an animal to add personality to an attack. For example instead of a divekick its a pounce or something.

Anthros have their uses in design and marketing. They make some things easier concepts to get across. They have a trade off like most concepts do. They will always seem more innocent and thus market more to younger groups or nostalgic older crowds looking for innocent characters reminescent to things they are familiar with. Fetishists will show up too of course, but if we're being honest here, unless you are pandering with overt sexual overtones in any game you should just realize that folks are gonna fetishize anything they enjoy online whether it is sexual in nature or not. Rule 34 is living proof of it so dont get worked up that "oh no the furries will be there" because even without furries a good game will likely have its creepers in its fanbase too.

You know you say all that, and the designs for wavedash is generic Overwatch designs.

Tripon

What Blizzard puts out is the most incredibly polished versions of ideas from other companies - it's to be expected.

Yes, but when people copy them without trying to either bring their own polish or aesthetics, it looks bad. Which is what the current Wavedash designs look like.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You know you've made it when you win a big tournament and people in the crowd are crying. Mango went into god mode and beat Armada from losers.

Dahbomb

i guess overwatch is polished if the bar is set at launch d3
D3 still has polished game play and combat feel though. Better than pretty much every other ARPG.

Problem with D3 is the fundamental design not really the polish. They polished that design turd to the best of their capability.

Wallach

You know you've made it when you win a big tournament and people in the crowd are crying. Mango went into god mode and beat Armada from losers.

I had to head into town for Mother's Day stuff. I love my mother (and the other mothers in my family)... but I am salty as fuck that I missed this.

MechaX

Man, Square needs to step their game up and actually fucking release Dissidia on PS4 so we can get Dissidia at EVO.

I for one welcome Exdeath mirror Grand Finals.

Top Bottom