• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Dlent

I'd like to be proven wrong, but all the arcade footage makes Dissidia look really boring, especially compared to something like Gundam.

ShinMaruku

It was never explicityly a LOL fighter. As to weather the cult canceled it, would not shock me. A few years back they shitcanned their fps.

I'm actually looking forward to Dissidia. Watching videos confuses the fuck outta me, though. I really don't understand the game at all, but it looks fun to me.

shaowebb

You know you say all that, and the designs for wavedash is generic Overwatch designs.

I was commenting on the Anthro statement in general more than just Wavedash games. Their game is going pretty Overwatch in design themes though. Cant deny that.

Dlent

It wasn't necessarily that Shoryu FADC was safe, it was that it was plus on block leaving you point blank at your opponents face, or lead to massive reward on hit via Ultra. It shocked me that it took them seven years to fix it, and I'm glad that Shoryu FADC was still unsafe in Rising Thunder(I think; not sure).

shaowebb

I remember getting Arcana Heart 3 yrs back when it was released on PSN. Loved the hell outta that game. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did because it was all girls, but I was glad I gave the game a fair chance to prove me wrong.

RIP

BadWolf

Looking at the thread over at Gaming about fighting games being hard and can't help but think about SamSho, especially the older ones.

Watched a SamSho 2 tournament recently for example and the game looks like it could be so easy to pick up for people, combos are on the short end and most of the damage comes from well timed single hits.

It felt refreshing watching people get super hype over single hits instead of long combos. Like there was a match where a guy had almost full health, he gets hit by one well timed hard slash and not only loses most of his life but even gets stunned (and then just finished off with another slash).

If SNK made SamSho 7 and went back to this style of play with precision and big damage of single/few hits instead of big combos (along with taking it in a more serious/brutal/bloody direction that Neo_G mentioned that he would like to take it in) then I think they could have something that could appeal to a wider audience and would really stand out in the current crop of fighters.

Also, watching the tournaments really shows how much the series has inspired future games in the genre, from mechanics to characters/moves.

jbug617

Banned
How come the Steam fighting games don't come out on PS4? They already did the work translating it. I would buy a English release of Koihime Enbu, Blade Arcus and Melty Blood.

BadWolf

Power meter.

Guard crush/break.

Running in fighting games.

It also had parrying/deflecting before SF3 was a thing. SF4 uses a rage style meter for its Ultras.

GG's control scheme is basically from SamSho as well (light, medium slash, hard slash and kick) with the added Dust button. And the character specific stuff like Potemkin's Buster throw, which is pretty much straight from Sieger.

So yeah, it was a very forward thinking series in general.

Kumubou

https://twitter.com/MMCafe_Prof/status/864082887343128576

Arcana Heart creator passed away. Rip :(

Shaowebb post if you're okay.
Man, that's a real sign that you're getting old, when the people that helped make the media you enjoy start dying.

RIP

Looking at the thread over at Gaming about fighting games being hard and can't help but think about SamSho, especially the older ones.

Watched a SamSho 2 tournament recently for example and the game looks like it could be so easy to pick up for people, combos are on the short end and most of the damage comes from well timed single hits.
I think this would run into the same issue a game like Divekick did -- by making things easier in terms of execution, you also paradoxically make feeling the game out harder for new players. As tough as execution can be, it's much more straightforward to get than learning how to move around, space your moves properly and read your opponent. It might be easier to do something but new players will still get their backs blown out.

Although given the mechanical execution most fighting games require nowadays, you could probably tone that down a fair bit (like P4A and DBFC do) and still have something that most people that don't play the genre would still need some time to get over.

How come the Steam fighting games don't come out on PS4? They already did the work translating it. I would buy a English release of Koihime Enbu, Blade Arcus and Melty Blood.

Two of these games are already on PS4 though, as Blade Arcus and Koihime Enbu got PS4 releases in Japan. French Bread also has PS4 devkits, as they did a PS4 release of Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition and are releasing UNIEST on PS4 as well.

So the question really should be why Melty Blood isn't on console yet, and that's probably due to French Bread's priorities (working on DBFC, UNI and taking hush money from Type-Moon) and general timing (keep in mind that they didn't release a PS2 game until 2006 and didn't release a PS3 game until 2013).

Tizoc

Man, that's a real sign that you're getting old, when the people that helped make the media you enjoy start dying.

RIP

I think this would run into the same issue a game like Divekick did -- by making things easier in terms of execution, you also paradoxically make feeling the game out harder for new players. As tough as execution can be, it's much more straightforward to get than learning how to move around, space your moves properly and read your opponent. It might be easier to do something but new players will still get their backs blown out.

Although given the mechanical execution most fighting games require nowadays, you could probably tone that down a fair bit (like P4A and DBFC do) and still have something that most people that don't play the genre would still need some time to get over.

Two of these games are already on PS4 though, as Blade Arcus and Koihime Enbu got PS4 releases in Japan. French Bread also has PS4 devkits, as they did a PS4 release of Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition and are releasing UNIEST on PS4 as well.

So the question really should be why Melty Blood isn't on console yet, and that's probably due to French Bread's priorities (working on DBFC, UNI and taking hush money from Type-Moon) and general timing (keep in mind that they didn't release a PS2 game until 2006 and didn't release a PS3 game until 2013).
Rip :(

BadWolf

Err... comparing SamSho with Divekick is kind of insulting lol.

SamSho isn't just about one hit normals. It's the complete package with specials, supers, parrying, evasion and many other in depth mechanics. The big damage via precise hits is just a part of it.

What the older SamShos didn't focus on is long combos, which is pretty much the norm for fighters these days.

Having a fighter that focuses on precision and shorter combos would be a welcome change imo and by default would be a lot more accessible for people. Having this doesn't nullify the depth that all the other mechanics in the series provide.

why don't they just make a fighter where characters flash and have invincibility after getting hit like other video games

knockback_and_invincbility.gif

Honestly why couldn't Señor Footsies become a real thing instead of Divekick.

No jumps, just back and forward walk and normals.

(And of course lets assume it wouldn't have fallen into Divekick's mistakes and undermined it's own premise of simplicity with tons of characters with special moves and individual mechanics)

Pompadour

why don't they just make a fighter where characters flash and have invincibility after getting hit like other video games

knockback_and_invincbility.gif

That would probably be terrible and combos would cease to exist.

Although that concept exists in games with knockdowns and no OTGs but in a lot of platformers you get to move around while in that state. Smash has that between lives, however.

That's an interesting idea although it would feel really janky. I can see mechanic where you get to move around freely, invincible, but unable to attack back but it would cost meter (and stop the timer to avoid timer scams).

shaowebb

sad 😭😭😭

whos going to write the story for arcana heart 4 now?
No clue. Aside from all the tropey scenes for the anime fan the story wasn't too bad with the shadowy government group, weaponizing arcana users into killers, and cultists looking to become God's or end the world.

Made more sense than most fighters honestly and it had a shitload of story and extra stories per character to unlock. Sure it was waifu stuff but I really respect any fighting game for having tons of story and per character sidestories to unlock. Too many fighters with underdeveloped cast that could use sidestories these days.

Top Bottom