• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

CO_Andy

Smash has transcended fighting games

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That's why I crack up with all these Nintendo loyalists. They act like Nintendo is greatest of the all companies when in fact they don't give a shit the most. All companies are in it to make money but you can clearly see which ones actually do try to do something for the people. Nintendo is not one of them.

CO_Andy

That's why I crack up with all these Nintendo loyalists. They act like Nintendo is greatest of the all companies when in fact they don't give a shit the most. All companies are in it to make money but you can clearly see which ones actually do try to do something for the people. Nintendo is not one of them.
People like Nintendo because their games are usually consistent in quality. That's all there is to it.

Say what you will about their history of skimping in hardware power, but when you buy one of their games you know you're getting a full course meal.

Kalamari

Hbox is delusional, he really thinks they did it all themselves. He doesn't even mention all the hard work that organizers put into the events and the money that sponsors put up. As if smash players are the only people that organize events for people like him to enjoy. Sure, they wouldn't be where they are right now without serious motivation, but let's face it, a lot of outside folks put in some effort and money as well. Nintendo aren't the only people out there.

Village

Whats weird abut the smash melee thing is that , I don't know what they expect. This happens to every fighting game franchise. New game comes out, they stop supporting they old one, they push the new one.

Eventually the older game falls to the wayside ect ect ect. Nintendo also has multiple other competitive games they are now trying to push

Like I don't understand what they want? Do they wanna be special?

Dahbomb

Whats weird abut the smash melee thing is that , I don't know what they expect. This happens to every fighting game franchise. New game comes out, they stop supporting they old one, they push the new one.

Eventually the older game falls to the wayside ect ect ect. Nintendo also has multiple other competitive games they are now trying to push

Like I don't understand what they want? Do they wanna be special?
I mean it happened with Brawl.

Village

I mean it happened with Brawl.

This, like I don't know what they want here. There are times were people remake old games for the sole sake of being competitive, I believe its happening to starcraft. But hat game literally is so big in changed the direction of a companies economy and helped shape a genre that is also super gigantic around the world. And melee... is melee.

And if its finacial support, its an older game they aren't going to do that. No one ever really does that, they aren't special. And even if they moved to smash 4, they still wouldn't get it because nintendo is trying to make sure the switch isn't in a dumpster like the wii u, i'm sure when they push arms and splatoon 2, and the new version of smash 4 i'm sure they will send support.

But even then they are supporting melee, its an old game they aren't pushing. Maybe the melee community hasn't experienced because its a game that draws stream numbers. But much like the dudes who never left sf2, or alpha, or 3 , or 4 now. Or People who havent left previous tekken games ect. You can still play that game, you can be a cool guy play that game. Just know that you are not financially viable for that company, you are a dedicated minority, and you need to accept you can play it and have fun. But you will just be a cool guy on the internet. The guys who make money will be the guys playing newer games with support.

I don't know what these dudes even want. I don't get their mentality.

The only thing I'll defend them on is I think people see " this game is a life style" and go " ew cringe" but in actuality if you play games competitively for a living... that is infact your lifestyle. And the people saying a " hobby shouldn't be a life style" just forgot the idea of having a profession you also enjoy.

Other than that I'm at a loss here.

Dahbomb

To be fair, Capcom doesn't support old games either.

Just look at SF4 or SF3. When the new game is out, they forget all about the previous one.

Village

To be fair, Capcom doesn't support old games either.

Just look at SF4 or SF3. When the new game is out, they forget all about the previous one.
All game companies do that, all of them except for specific exceptions. They all move on, that's why I dont understand. This isn't a fighting genre exclusive idea. This happens in fps's, sports games, racers, heck it happens in multiple card games where competitive meta moves to the newer cards as to bog down the entirety of the meta with old cards meant for another version of that game.

They aren't special so what do they want? Games like starcraft get this exception because it literally changed landscape of videogames by how competitive it is (alto a whole country's economy). Thats that still gets support. And here's the thing, there are games like street fighter 2 and tekken 3 that changed video games that aren't getting continued financial backing. Melee is not that, melee is a fun old game you like. And thats ok, there are few reasons for a company to support a fun old game. You can enjoy it you just need to come terms with not saving support.

You can hope they rerelease it, maybe remaster,or make a game simular in the future

from a personal perspective id like Nintendo to have, like, any kind of community relations with the people who call melee a lifestyle.

For example the pro puyo community has stuck with a 23 year old version of the game as the competitive standard, and while the producer of the series has publicly stated he'd like for them to move on, Sega still nurtures the symbiotic (well, mostly parasitic) relationship. They added netplay to the Wii Virtual Console of the game, now include the ruleset used competitively in every new game in the series, and used pro players as part of the marketing campaign for the Switch version of PPT, among other things.

Instead Nintendo seems keen on wanting people to forget that Melee exists. That's a real shitty way to treat an organically grown community, much less one as passionate about their craft as Melee.

Village

Instead Nintendo seems keen on wanting people to forget that Melee exists. That's a real shitty way to treat an organically grown community, much less one as passionate about their craft as Melee.

Sometimes you don't fit into a companies bottom line. And sometimes that really sucks, sometimes its possibly indicative of no one at that company functional understanding their demographics who their bottom line even is, causing them to just flail and grasp at straws, but we can have a conversation about Sega and sonic in another thread. Point is, it sucks , sometimes it happens. But this in particular , is very natural. They have a new game, new games that are competitive they wish to support and probably will when the switch is more stable and has those games released on it. That's what happens. They also support the newest smash game because its a giant advert for all Nintendo properties, that sells consoles. Smash has become much larger than just smash, and nintendo treats it that way. Sakurai treats it that way.

Like I would feel for them more of i this wasn't smash, but its smash because its smash I understand a lot nintendo's business decisions regarding it at least as it pertains to this.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
As long as Nintendo isn't actively antagonizing them (e.g. shutting down the EVO stream), like... what even are they complaining about?

It's an old ass game that's irrelevant to Nintendo's bottom line. Can't you just celebrate your own community without flinging shit for no reason?

stn

Is there a GAF Discord for fighting games? Would be great in terms of finding people to play certain fighters with.

As long as Nintendo isn't actively antagonizing them (e.g. shutting down the EVO stream), like... what even are they complaining about?

It's an old ass game that's irrelevant to Nintendo's bottom line. Can't you just celebrate your own community without flinging shit for no reason?

they could have everything and still want more

AAK

Just remembered that GCC Majors is gonna happen at the end of the month in Qatar, and now we have that political shitstorm happening between Qatar and the other GCC members: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385625

Wow, that is actually a huge deal especially for Tekken considering Saudi Arabia has one of the strongest Tekken scenes in the middle east. (GCC is part of the Tekken World Tour as well).

For example Kayyal and BMNS-13 are both from the Saudi scene who traveled to the US to study & both got top 8 at the EVO's they attended. Gagguni is another player originally from the Saudi scene.

Sayad

Just remembered that GCC Majors is gonna happen at the end of the month in Qatar, and now we have that political shitstorm happening between Qatar and the other GCC members: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385625
That ban is the most ridiculous bullshit ever, a lot of friends already booked to go there, GCC Majors is basically all that KoF and GG scenes have in the region. Really hope this get fixed in the next few days.

Top Bottom