• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Going by the Arms review thread seems it's another fighter launching low on content.
Following the Nintendo new IP trend of abysmally low content set by Splatoon, I see.

Still amazes me the more favourable reception Nintendo gets for cutting below the bar than many of the third party studios get grilled for. Just reading the relative optimism in those reviews (especially with regard to finishing the game via DLC) says it all.

Quebaz

Arms next month, Gundam VS late 2017, Dissidia early 2018, Virtual On Index somewhere 2018, what a time to be alive. I finally don't have to settle for subpar licensed anime games for my 3D Arena Fighter fix.

NEO0MJ

Following the Nintendo new IP trend of abysmally low content set by Splatoon, I see.

Still amazes me the more favourable reception Nintendo gets for cutting below the bar than many of the third party studios get grilled for. Just reading the relative optimism in those reviews (especially with regard to finishing the game via DLC) says it all.

It's common knowledge by now that Nintendo gets preferential treatment from the press.

Arms next month, Gundam VS late 2017, Dissidia early 2018, Virtual On Index somewhere 2018, what a time to be alive. I finally don't have to settle for subpar licensed anime games for my 3D Arena Fighter fix.
Don't forget UNIBEST next month and Senko no Ronde 2 at some point too

CO_Andy

Experimental games are usually given leniency as long as the foundation is strong.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...-feels-more-like-the-nintendo-i-used-to-know/

ARMS hot takes:
- I can't beat the CPU no matter how hard I mash attack, I'm going to write a letter to Nintendo whining about how hard the game is
I'm now glad the reps chose not to reply to my e-mailed concerns. I think Arms could stand to have a slightly more vocal or descriptive tutorial, but my exasperation forced me to think entirely outside of my Arms-fighting mindset, which was focused on attacking.

- command inputs are arcane demon-summoning invocations
I love when fighting games free themselves from the confines of a "quarter-circle" system, and Arms distills virtual combat in a way that really feels like a fight, between how you punch and how you stare your opponent down. But I needed to sit with the controller version to sink my teeth into the game's high-tempo movement system, which, unlike the punching, doesn't really get a motion abstraction. Jumping and dashing are mapped to buttons no matter how you play.

- I know how to design games better than Nintendo
You have to all but spam the jump and quick-dash buttons to succeed in Arms. The reliance is so severe that I wonder how the game would feel if these moves were managed by a stamina meter (let alone whether characters might be balanced with different stamina meters). Real-life boxers would be pooped by the second round fighting this way.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
"Real-life boxers would be pooped by the second round fighting this way" – me, explaining why all fighting games are pathetic and bad.

- command inputs are arcane demon-summoning invocations

they should put that motion in the game somehow to piss him off

C5NZcXgVUAA_8-e.jpg

CO_Andy

first week stream numbers for T7 on TeamSp00ky are kinda meh

right now its sitting at 4000. IJ2 was hitting 10000 on its first day

notworksafe

this stream is terrible. four tiny console views, three of which aren't playing a game, plus the chat for some reason. no wonder no one is watching this dreck.

Lulubop

Yipes really, really is the goat

first week stream numbers for T7 on TeamSp00ky are kinda meh

right now its sitting at 4000. IJ2 was hitting 10000 on its first day

Max got 20k first week of IJ2, NLBC had 15k.

Also T7 had an awful guy on the mic, I'm just tuning back now because Yipes is on.

MechaX

Well, good that T7 hit 10k in NLBC, but when in the fuck did Yipes ever start commentating on Tekken lol

Man, this dude is throwing some shade on Tag 2

Lulubop

Well, good that T7 hit 10k in NLBC, but when in the fuck did Yipes ever start commentating on Tekken lol

Man, this dude is throwing some shade on Tag 2

Tonight!

Fab is good, Aris throws shade at TTT2 but it's hard to tell if he's serious.

Top Bottom