• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

outside of character specific counters n shit, BBCF has 1 more gauge than SFV....

Health
Barrier
Tension
Burst

versus

Health
Vtrigger
Super
Yeah, I honestly don't find ASW games to be more complicated than any other fighter except for the incredible number of defensive options in Xrd. I'm awful at using them all effectively.

kirblar

Possibly unpopular opinion- I think they should have gone all the way in SFV w/ simplifying gameplay and just axed dashes.

Want to get oldschool footsies back and reduce oppressive pressure? That's how!

Possibly unpopular opinion- I think they should have gone all the way in SFV w/ simplifying gameplay and just axed dashes.

Sounds like Under Night in Birth to me--game's all about footsies...super long ranged footsies.

CO_Andy

the SF franchise needs to be handed to Sirlin so we can all bask in Sirlin deliciousness

street-fighter-4-flashback-19.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

I'd be more than fine with this if the game had Super Turbo walk speed.

ChrisG is on my ain't shit list now. Can't stand someone who disses black women like that.

Someone here said that black Twitter was blowing him up over this now? Deserved, if so.

I find that a lot of Marvel translates over to ASW games.

Pushblock -> Faultless Defense or Barrier Block
X-Factor -> Burst
Alpha Counter -> Dead Angle or whatever it's called in BB
Instant Block is just SF3 Parries

Negative Penalty and Risk Gauge aren't really things you utilize. They're just background noise - you don't really change your gameplay because of them.

I think people claim ASW games are complicated more out of intimidation than actual experience with them. At least, if you are experienced in fighting games, they aren't particularly demanding mechanically. My hunch is that most people look at the mechanics list and check out instead of trying at all, much how casuals freak out about frame data and input lists like they're esoteric concepts.

Even Blitz Shield is basically a Focus Attack.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I find that a lot of Marvel translates over to ASW games.

Pushblock -> Faultless Defense or Barrier Block
X-Factor -> Burst
Alpha Counter -> Dead Angle or whatever it's called in BB
Instant Block is just SF3 Parries

Negative Penalty and Risk Gauge aren't really things you utilize. They're just background noise - you don't really change your gameplay because of them.

I think people claim ASW games are complicated more out of intimidation than actual experience with them. At least, if you are experienced in fighting games, they aren't particularly demanding mechanically. My hunch is that most people look at the mechanics list and check out instead of trying at all, much how casuals freak out about frame data and input lists like they're esoteric concepts.

Even Blitz Shield is basically a Focus Attack.
That's still missing things like Danger Time, Guard, multiple kinds of roman cancels. Definitely things that affect how you approach gameplay.

No need to look further than the droning tutorial mode in Xrd to know that the game is just oozing with mechanics. I don't think anyone who's gone through that mode can say with a straight face that it isn't intimidating or at least makes you pause and think wonder why the mechanics are a part of the system if not just for complexity's sake. Makes for a very fascinating and appreciable game at high levels, that's pretty much it though. Or that they even remember the mechanic they learned 2 tutorials ago. ASW games are about as anti-casual
and anti-consumer in many ways
as they get.

Pompadour

outside of character specific counters n shit, BBCF has 1 more gauge than SFV....

Health
Barrier
Tension
Burst

versus

Health
Vtrigger
Super

But BB has way, way more character specific gauges whereas SFV has what, two? (Juri and Ibuki). When I played BB I played Bang and that motherfucker had two character specific gauges.

But BB has way, way more character specific gauges whereas SFV has what, two? (Juri and Ibuki). When I played BB I played Bang and that motherfucker had two character specific gauges.
Then don't play Bang?

That's still missing things like Danger Time, Guard, multiple kinds of roman cancels. Definitely things that affect how you approach gameplay.

No need to look further than the droning tutorial mode in Xrd to know that the game is just oozing with mechanics. I don't think anyone who's gone through that mode can say with a straight face that it isn't intimidating or at least makes you pause and think wonder why the mechanics are a part of the system if not just for complexity's sake. Makes for a very fascinating and appreciable game at high levels, that's pretty much it though. Or that they even remember the mechanic they learned 2 tutorials ago. ASW games are about as anti-casual
as they get.
No one plays around Danger Time, though. It's just something that happens.

Not sure what you mean by "guard".

Fair enough on me missing Roman Cancels, but again it's just X-Factor.

I think it's cool that there are so many defensive options. And they're all good and see play, too. I would say they were solely for the sake of complexity if I never saw the mechanics used in high-level play, but you really do see all of them. Personally, I like that there are games that push me in different ways. But what's really important is that you absolutely don't need most of these mechanics to enjoy the game for casual play. I've never Instant Blocked in my life.

Capcom is the king of anti-consumer, not ASW.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
as they get.

Yeah I'm gonna agree with every word here. The tutorial in P4A single-handedly killed any interest that 3 of my friends had in playing it.

And on a personal level, Negative Penalty just bothers me on principle so much that it's a major reason why I never got into Guilty Gear at anything more than a surface level. I feel that a rule like that can only exist for one of 2 reasons: either the game is such a sloppily designed hackjob that the rule is necessary in order to keep certain play styles from being overpowered, or the developer feels like punishing players who play a certain way just because. Shitty either way.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Chris is not the only one saying it. He's just the only one dumb enough to say it in public space. And with him being in the spotlight many will catch it.

MrDaravon

I mean Chris has been saying fuck shit for a while, legit horrid fuck shit. He doesn't need a slap, he needs to be devalued for saying this and have sponsorship and shit taken away.

This. Remember how when Robin Williams committed suicide he said he doesn't have respect for people who take their own lives? Chris is a fucking idiot at best.

shaowebb

Holy shit Injustice 2. If you want your tier list to be less narrow maybe you shouldn't make it so easy to remove traits from most of the cast. Sooooo many of the cast are only good with trait and you can stage transition it away at anytime, supers get rid of them and on last round clashes remove them too. Some traits have debuff and take a lot of good footsies to even get started. You got to play it safe with some folks like Captain Cold to even begin getting good stuff and then "poof!" no more trait. Back to lvl 1. Bane goes to debuff for most of a match, Green Arrow loses his arrow loads and bye bye Boxing Glove or ice damage, Canary charge gone, Firestorm taking that L. Dr. Fate's suddenly has no future. I was originally only miffed because of meter loss with Green Arrow Boxing Glove arrow goin away but after surfing through the roster some more its WAY worse for a lot of other dudes. This is a terrible mechanic.

This isn't good for the meta. Cinematics removing trait are 100% aiding the issues in tiers folks are having where folks like Superman, Batman, or Black Adam who always have good tools are staying on top. Not everyone has the best zoning, buttons or strings without traits. Insuring only those who aren't worried about Cinematic trait resets happening is just making a lot of the cast neutered and extending a gap in the roster between the "struggles for trait" and "doesn't struggle for trait" folks. You have to play so much harder than others in a match where your tools rely on one ability and disappear so easily.

Rhapsody

Banned
But what's really important is that you absolutely don't need most of these mechanics to enjoy the game for casual play. I've never Instant Blocked in my life.

Yup. When I first learned Guilty Gear in high school, there was a ton of mechanics, but I didn't bother messing with maybe half of them. Regardless of whether it's casual or competitive play, players in general nowadays expect to grasp and master all the mechanics in one day and be ready for competitive play. I feel like if a player can't take the time to learn a character/mechanic along the way, then maybe that player isn't suited for competitive play tbh.

If players want everything too simple, you're going to have the problem SFV has where it's really difficult to explore outside of matchups. And even then, Capcom's just going to take parts of it away bit by bit. If players want something simple with lots to explore, then you get that SFIV problem where it was mostly big casts in a game filled with lots of setup/OSes (things that people thought they wanted out).

I'm having a lot of fun getting back into Tekken, and it's been years. I never got back into it after I got into the actual competitive stuff for fighters, so I'm seeing a lot of it in a whole new way. Sure there's a lot of stuff to learn, but it's fun. Not feeling too overwhelmed either since I've just been focusing only on parts of it I can handle for where I'm at.

notworksafe

"i'm a star athlete!" proclaims anorexic bird faced racist trying to prove a point on facebook.

fgc celebrates him one month later by putting him all over evo streams.

notworksafe

"black women want to fuck me all the time" continues to insist bird faced racist to a sea of bone dry vaginas. he then bursts into tears while still pretending to be a tough guy, his usual MO. "i-if you can't dp you can't g-g-get this d" he stammers through the tears.

Top Bottom