• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

Blanka is fine where he belongs - on a keychain.

I played Blanka in CVS2. It was a great experience.. but he's done after that.
I just want ONE character that makes me excited to play Street Fighter.

In a cast of 14, Skullgirls has one I love so much I learned two others to support her.
Smash has 2.
Marvel has...at least 5.
Guilty Gear has 1.
BlazBlue will have one eventually (lol).
Darkstalkers has 2.

Street Fighter had NONE. Not one character in its massive cast that interests me. Complete fail on Capcom's part. It might have the worst roster of every fighting game out there in terms of personal appeal for me. Even Tekken has more interesting characters.

Mapping Taunt to down+HP+HK would get rid of secondary taunts for the characters that have them. You know nothing about Street Fighter, Karst!

And by the looks of that post above me, you seem extremely selfish about the game too. Even worse than me and ASW lol

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

In a cast of 14, Skullgirls has one I love so much I learned two others to support her.
Smash has 2.
Marvel has...at least 5.
Guilty Gear has 1.
Darkstalkers has 2.

Street Fighter had NONE. Not one character in its massive cast that interests me. Complete fail on Capcom's part. It might have the worst roster of every fighting game out there in terms of personal appeal for me. Even Tekken has more interesting characters.
I guess if I still played sfiv id play zangief

petghost

Banned
+r def has the most characters I love to death and find super interesting.

In vsav I don't even play my fave char cuz I'm whack with lei lei.

hitsugi

Smash has 2.
Marvel has...at least 5.
Guilty Gear has 1.
Darkstalkers has 2.

When you say this, are you specifically relating to SF4 or you have found no one in the entire SF series to be interesting? NO ONE?!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160948954]karst won't even try a character unless they're a demon or have long pretty hair[/QUOTE]

And yet that's somehow Capcoms fault!

vulva

Smash has 2.
Marvel has...at least 5.
Guilty Gear has 1.
Darkstalkers has 2.

You seem like an Oni kinda guy

Sayad

He already tried Oni.
Evil Ryu then. ;p

Seriously though, Karst might like Urien. He have long combos, unblockables, nasty set ups and is the most bad ass SF character, he yells "kill" and "destroy" while attacking and hitting him while he's blocking sound like you're hitting metal. You have one job, Capcom...

When you say this, are you specifically relating to SF4 or you have found no one in the entire SF series to be interesting? NO ONE?!
I have extensively played SFII as a kid, and I played everyone. I played Ryu the most because Hadoken + Shoryuken made my friends rage, and they couldn't throw fireballs with my consistency. I also play Cammy because her pixelated ass was glorious.

I skipped Alpha and III, but I haven't seen anyone interesting in those games.

Mapping Taunt to down+HP+HK would get rid of secondary taunts for the characters that have them. You know nothing about Street Fighter, Karst!

And by the looks of that post above me, you seem extremely selfish about the game too. Even worse than me and ASW lol
I just want to give Capcom money. :(

You seem like an Oni kinda guy
Shit character is shit. A downgrade from Akuma.

Edit: I actually just hate the SFIV meta right now. Playing a fireball game is extraordinarily irritating unless you are Guile. I don't think I could enjoy E. Ryu either. I don't find SFIV exciting in general, and I am hoping SFV is more interesting.

Chip damage on normals is a great decision.

Tripon

CC1uK1GUkAAU6rv.png:large

hitsugi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160948954]karst won't even try a character unless they're a demon or have long pretty hair[/QUOTE]

Evil Ryu alt 1 fits the bill I guess.........

vulva

Shit character is shit. A downgrade from Akuma.

he's really good, not sure what you're talking about. Huge damage, interesting mobility, lots of mixup options. In terms of approach he's nothing like Akuma. Why even compare them other than appearance? That's like comparing Cammy and Decapre's playstyle.

I main a Pokemon in Smash, man.
Painwheel in Skullgirls.

I tend to like "creature" characters more than humans, though. Don't forget I was a Sentinel main in MvC2. I can be flexible if the character is FUN. I can't say I have ever had fun with a SFIV character.

Painwheel is basically a demon, but yeah your creature thing is what I meant. As for SF4, if you're really interested in the game try some characters you think are boring. I basically played the game off and on as a joke for 5 years, but recently I found out I really like ken and have been taking the game more seriously. I would never have thought ken was my character.

he's really good, not sure what you're talking about. Huge damage, interesting mobility, lots of mixup options. In terms of approach he's nothing like Akuma. Why even compare them other than appearance? That's like comparing Cammy and Decapre's playstyle.
Sanford tries to hard, but he is playing gimped. Why pick Oni over E. Ryu?

Oni doesn't have interesting mobility. The air dashes are ass outside of looking for Raging Demons. You just lose screen position when using them. Sometimes you can Yolo tatsu out of them, but it isn't really a feature that defines his gameplay like it could.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160949752]Painwheel is basically a demon, but yeah your creature thing is what I meant. As for SF4, if you're really interested in the game try some characters you think are boring. I basically played the game off and on as a joke for 5 years, but recently I found out I really like ken and have been taking the game more seriously. I would never have thought ken was my character.[/QUOTE]
I have games that are actually fun to play right now. I love Smash, and once I figure out Mewtwo, I will go back to mastering Zato. I am not desperate to play SFIV. I started this convo about SFV and how I hope it is more interesting than IV. Like I said, I have never had fun with IV. I don't think that will change.

I don't consider Painwheel to be a demon. She is a tortured girl. :(

mbpm1

He wanted to play Oni like a Zoner iirc.

Which I actually ended up doing the times I got him in random select for casuals. His buttons feel janky and weird after Ken.

I'll cosign, his air dashes are crappy except to bait dps and lose scree nn. Way too much recovery

Oni doesn't have interesting mobility. The air dashes are ass outside of looking for Raging Demons. You just lose screen position when using them. Sometimes you can Yolo tatsu out of them, but it isn't really a feature that defines his gameplay like it could.

oni originally had an ex airdash he could normal-cancel out of.

hitsugi

I have extensively played SFII as a kid, and I played everyone. I played Ryu the most because Hadoken + Shoryuken made my friends rage, and they couldn't throw fireballs with my consistency. I also play Cammy because her pixelated ass was glorious.

I skipped Alpha and III, but I haven't seen anyone interesting in those games.

I just want to give Capcom money. :(

3s probably had far more of a selection for you. Urien, Q, Twelve, and Necro are all interesting and bad ass characters.

Of course, I played Yun in 3s because I loved kara palm and keeper jin combos.. I like combos and rush down style - aesthetics are a close 3rd though.

I'm hopeful that SFV will have less throwbacks (save it for free DLC sales) and take some risks to bring something new to the table.

He wanted to play Oni like a Zoner iirc.

Which I actually ended up doing the times I got him in random select for casuals. His buttons feel janky and weird after Ken.

I'll cosign, his air dashes are crappy except to bait dps and lose scree nn. Way too much recovery
You can't even punish the DPs you bait. Too much recovery on the air dash.

Yeah, I did want to play Oni like a zoner. I get that it isn't a good idea. I tried playing him rushdown, but it wasn't fun.

3s probably had far more of a selection for you. Urien, Q, Twelve, and Necro are all interesting and bad ass characters.

Of course, I played Yun in 3s because I loved kara palm and keeper jin combos.. I like combos and rush down style - aesthetics are a close 3rd though.
Isn't Urien just missing a shirt?

Yeah, I could see myself trying Necro. I just want more interesting options besides 30 guys in gis. Even KoF has more variation...

vulva

I don't like Sanford's Oni. Wao plays a pretty interesting Oni and a local player called Italdan does a great job with Oni as well. Plays a strong footsies game and knows how to go in. Uses the air mobility to avoid DPs and bait them, uses the slam to blowup crouch techs etc. Mobility isn't limited to just the air though, the slash is also a factor which can contribute a lot to his mixup game.

But seriously though, his damage is nuts. I think he's a pretty good character overall. I don't get the "why play him when there's eryu or akuma" approach when, frankly, he plays like neither.

mbpm1

You can't even punish the DPs you bait. Too much recovery on the air dash.
Basically its only going to work if your opponent does heavy dp. And out of that you just get a towards fierce most of the time. I like that button as much as anyone but that's pretty eh a reward for baiting.

Tik-Tok

I don't like Sanford's Oni. Wao plays a pretty interesting Oni and a local player called Italdan does a great job with Oni as well. Plays a strong footsies game and knows how to go in. Uses the air mobility to avoid DPs and bait them, uses the slam to blowup crouch techs etc. Mobility isn't limited to just the air though, the slash is also a factor which can contribute a lot to his mixup game.

But seriously though, his damage is nuts. I think he's a pretty good character overall. I don't get the "why play him when there's eryu or akuma" approach when, frankly, he plays like neither.
Bum bum cheeks

hitsugi

Isn't Urien just missing a shirt?

Yeah, I could see myself trying Necro. I just want more interesting options besides 30 guys in gis.

...He has a suit.. briefly.. Necro is missing a shirt, too!

Makoto was also neat for a bit but I only played her for kill combos D: Oh, and Oro!

As great as I felt Necro was, I also felt he was a fairly high execution character (strange coming from someone that likes Yun) but those Necro corner juggles were a pain.

His neutral is pretty similar. That is what I care about. Mix up differences aren't defining traits for my character selection. I played enough Oni to know he isn't fun. None of Oni's unique special moves really make a difference in the neutral. Except for hard reads with Demon Slash M against projectiles, which aren't usual.

vulva

His neutral is pretty similar. That is what I care about. Mix up differences aren't defining traits for my character selection. I played enough Oni to know he isn't fun. None of Oni's unique special moves really make a difference in the neutral. Except for hard reads with Demon Slash M against projectiles, which aren't usual.

His palm (I think it's towards fierce?) is pretty solid in the neutral. That's definitely unique too.

Tik-Tok

You know you don't have to like street fighter. It's ok.

His palm (I think it's towards fierce?) is pretty solid in the neutral. That's definitely unique too.
Huge startup. You can counterhit him out of it most of the time. Probably my favorite move of his stylistically, though.

You know you don't have to like street fighter. It's ok.
Tell that to these guys. o_O I am okay with it.

Blanka U2 is pretty much unblockable
I go double ult so I have cheap chip kills up close and far away. I have only found the opportunity to combo into U1 once in my time playing him. :p U2 fireball punish would be great, but you have to do it as a hard read.

His toward buttons are decent imo.
I wish b.MP always chained into b.HP. It feel really satisfying to land.

Blanka can link c.MK into U1 though.

I got far more shit for going from being a hardcore MVC2 player to hating Marvel 3... I think.
I can see why a MvC2 fan wouldn't enjoy 3. The gameplay is a downgrade in some significant ways.

Vulva is dodging some dude who plays blanka on PSN. I wouldn't worry about him.
Vulva and Beef taught me how not-fun Blanka is when your opponent plays to win. I have played lots of folks here in SFIV.

hitsugi

I wish b.MP always chained into b.HP. It feel really satisfying to land.

I can see why a MvC2 fan wouldn't enjoy 3. The gameplay is a downgrade in some significant ways..

Yeah.. I was really into the whole reset / mixup game of it and was a huge fan of MVC2 Sentinel with the re-fly stuff and whatnot. The game just oozed a certain style and speed and the only limits were your hands. It just feels too "easy" to 100% in MVC3.

This stuff in this video shows why BB is my fave fighter soooooo good
You like combos that last 10 seconds?

Is Izayoi good these days? I remember her being on the bottom when she came out.

Yeah.. I was really into the whole reset / mixup game of it and was a huge fan of MVC2 Sentinel with the re-fly stuff and whatnot. The game just oozed a certain style and speed and the only limits were your hands. It just feels too "easy" to 100% in MVC3.
100% agree with you.

I take it he didn't like using Dan. :(
E: whoops he said pretty hair. My bad

Kimosabae

Banned
To appreciate Oni you have to appreciate Street Fighter in general. He's a fundamental Shoto with burst damage capacities and some not-so-solid, but fun gimmicks and that's it. His fireball is essentially his cr. MK, so his neutral's not as solid as the other Shotos, but that just makes him more rewarding to play for me. I think he's a solid mid/upper-mid that rewards dedication to the character and fundamentals with satisfying combo routes. The fact that E. Ryu exists is meaningless unless you're looking to be competitive.

Top Bottom