• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | DaiGOAT

Rhapsody

Banned
Guess I'll check Nico again tonight to see if there are more free matches. I saw Smug vs Sako and Momochi vs Xiao Hai last night. There was another set happening after but I decided to go to bed.

Marz

it would be nice if smug gets sponsored but most likely he'll turn down the offer since he's more committed to school

He's been in Japan, California, and Georgia in the span of a month. Don't think schools getting in the way of anything.

f7VxViY.jpg

man....

CurlyW

Yeah that event. Not sure if he played Xian on the way to top 8.

edit: Did you think I didn't know if he played at EVO? Original question was if he played Xian in Ultra.

Whoops. My bad. Apologies. (It did seem like a weird thing to say.)

Ya, they dropped him. I imagine it's hard to represent your brand and invest into a guy who only plays NRS games.

Now, now, he also plays DoA.

Watching Topanga World has made me reminisce about how this format got started in Japan. At first it was under Gods Garden and from what I remember, the prize money was something like 5k and came from this dude who was supposed to be kind of rich and was big Daigo fan. I think they had 12 players and they played FT10 back then, and it was free to watch.

But the thing that stuck out most to me is that you would play the round robin to determine your seeding. Then 12 would play 11 and whoever won moved down to face 10 and so on. I really liked that back then but they got rid of it. I think Tokido had the longest win streak which was 4, but I don't remember what place he started. But yeah, I would have liked it better if they kept that idea around because even if you got your ass beat in the round robin. Their is still a chance of finishing first if you could run the hardest fucking train anyone has ever had to run. 11 grueling FT10's against the best of the best. Some may say whoever finishes last doesn't even deserve the chance, I say it makes for good drama if that guy actually did or makes a deep run.

hwateber

Yeah I really miss gods garden. I got so hype for it back then. Mago and Sako showing the world that Fei and Cammy were top tier

phaonaut

But the thing that stuck out most to me is that you would play the round robin to determine your seeding. Then 12 would play 11 and whoever won moved down to face 10 and so on. I really liked that back then but they got rid of it. I think Tokido had the longest win streak which was 4, but I don't remember what place he started. But yeah, I would have liked it better if they kept that idea around because even if you got your ass beat in the round robin. Their is still a chance of finishing first if you could run the hardest fucking train anyone has ever had to run. 11 grueling FT10's against the best of the best. Some may say whoever finishes last doesn't even deserve the chance, I say it makes for good drama if that guy actually did or makes a deep run.

Never heard of this before, but this sounds awesome.

hwateber

I went to eventhubs to see the results, and of course I run into a beautifully written article with the line "According to the Rufus and Rose main, he says he's "around 70% of his total potential in Street fighter". By comparison, this is around the level Lord Beerus handicapped himself to when he fought Goku in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods."

I don't know what I expected.
Lmao, that's actually an amazing line.

Dahbomb

2002 was also the first EVO and it wasn't really a big name. It had very few Japanese players actually attending. As soon as word got out on EVO.. that's when US players stopped winning at that game (outside of stuff like HDR).

Infinite

Watching Topanga World has made me reminisce about how this format got started in Japan. At first it was under Gods Garden and from what I remember, the prize money was something like 5k and came from this dude who was supposed to be kind of rich and was big Daigo fan. I think they had 12 players and they played FT10 back then, and it was free to watch.

Good times. I still remember the crazy shit uryo pulled off to get him the nick name mr gods garden.

fubarduck

Justin has. 2002 Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Also win in a 2v2 teams 3rd strike EVO tournament.

Just want to add that the 2v2 3rd Strike Team Winner in 2009 was technically a win for Japan. It was Justin/Issei, but Issei did the important work.

When we fought Justin/Issei Pre-Top 8, my teammate (Mopreme) perfected Justin on the last round. Justin rage quit with a pause while Mopreme was still charging his Denjin. Issei destroyed us both however.

Justin is an amazing 3rd Strike player, but if it were singles, Issei could not have been stopped.

I think that an American Street Fighter winner at Evo has gotten closer every year. There is more motivation and there are more skilled players in each region. Japan's scene is experiencing the same issues as others now, where players lack experience in certain matchups (due to so many characters in SF4). I think they try to make up for it by game knowledge (learning what is unsafe/punishable) and sticking to safe pressure instead of taking wild risks.

Finally, and most importantly, I'd like to point out that Justin did NOT win ST at Evo 2002 (I'm not even sure he entered? Believe he just played MVC2 and the 3rd Strike exhibition). Evo 2002's ST champion was Jason Cole. That's what caused the controversial ST bracket replay in Evo 2003 when Jason overslept his bracket. He had been the champion the previous year.

Wikipedia is wrong for the Evo 2002 ST results, but Shoryuken's Wiki looks accurate:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Evolution_2002

Glad I have a good memory!!

Man I remember those early GG days which were also early Team spooky (at least to me) days. I remember Art and Min waking up really early to commentate a Japanese restream of Daigo vs Mochi (the Sim player) and barley saying anything between yawns lol.

Vanilla/early Super days were a lot of fun.

Man I remember those early GG days which were also early Team spooky (at least to me) days. I remember Art and Min waking up really early to commentate a Japanese restream of Daigo vs Mochi (the Sim player) and barley saying anything between yawns lol.

Vanilla/early Super days were a lot of fun.

Yo seriously, I just finished watching that exact match between Daigo and Mochi. And now I'm watching Sako vs Daigo. Damn that Cammy TK cannon strike was cheap as fuck.

And yeah I remember Spooky and company getting up early to commentate because they were asked to. I think all this was on Ustream back then as well. So many fond memories of the old days lol.

Never heard of this before, but this sounds awesome.

They did this back in the Super days I think. After two American style double elimination tournaments they decided to do their first long set invite only tournament. Their was a video announcing it with Daigo talking outside and the wind blowing his hair and I remember people having a good laugh out of it. But it was pretty cool. If you finished 1st in the round robin then you only needed to win one FT10 to win the whole thing. If you finished last, you had to go through win 11 consecutive FT10's against one killer after another. I really wish they kept this around. It gives the tournament some finality, drama, and maybe a feel good story if someone makes a amazing run.

How's the arcade scene in Japan? I remember back in Vanilla they would grind hard at Big Box. Are the top Japanese players mostly play online now?

Kimosabae

Banned
I spent some time earlier today watching some of Daigo's Guilty Gear XX matches from about a decade ago.

You have any idea how badly I wish this fucker would play Xrd?

I'm just curious to see what he thinks about the game.

Xtyle

I bought tickets for all four days (the 3500 one) but now how do I view the archives for friday and today's matches? I can't seem to find them at all

Edit: I found it!

Top Bottom