• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

Skab

So many rage quitters on ChrisG's stream.

Is there a penalty for dodging? It's really easy on a PC as opposed to on a console where you might actually have to get up and pull something.

I think they should add a penalty, maybe a time out or it puts you into a special match-making pool where you are matched up with other rage quitters.

They're not rage quitters. It's the game dropping connections/disconnecting you. Happens all the time. Wins, losses, middle of matches, giving you win points after disconnecting you from a match you lost, the games a bit of a mess right now.

DunpealD

If I had said Darkstalkers then would that have been more palatable for you?

Though no 6 attack button configuration.. would prefer it be just 4 buttons with a special ability button and a throw button.

Probably yes. But what's the thought about that one? More normals with strings? Or command normals?

Oh and on the license fighting game question....

berserk-61.jpg

1v1 similar to Killer Instinct (minus the combo breaker/counter breaker stuff) but with more gore/violence. Most characters will be using swords so it would be more similar to a Soul Calibur game but in 2D.

Roster includes Gutts (with Berserk armor of course), Griffith, Femto, Casca, Zodd, Skull Knight, the members of the New Band of Hawk plus members of the old Band of the Hawk, the 4 God hands and some of the crazy side characters/creatures etc.

Then we can finally recreate this battle scene with the same nice background:
Would this game have Astral Finishers? If so, I think we all know that Rickert just needs to slap the shit out of people for his. Also, Serpico would finally get more exposure. He would really shine as a fighting game character. His mobility and sword shenanigans would be off the charts. The man is far too humble for his own good.

Edit: Oh shit, Silat and his servants would be awesome in a hypothetical fighter. Man, some people have no clue how good Berserk can be after the eclipse.

Dahbomb

I think you're exaggerating. Elenas usually heal after scoring knockdown and don't even get the full duration of it. That match with Gamerbee, the way he utilized it gave him much more life, but that is just that particular matchup. It is like saying Guile's sonic boom is broken because of the makoto matchup.
When Elena heals... she is doing unmitigated and unavoidable heal. Whether she does it off of a knockdown or whether she does it full screen is not the point. Unlike something like Rose's Ultra or Dhalsim's Ultra... when that heal is successfully activated the heal is unmitigated as opposed to those two ultra where say Rose knocks someone down and uses Ultra on them... they can still block to mitigate the damage of the Ultra (or try to knock her out of it).

Imagine if there was a reverse of Elena's Ultra where instead of healing, the character just did passive damage. Like you knocked someone down and you activated the Ultra they would take 200-300 damage for free... unmitigated and unavoidable. Or they could do that from full screen away and just keep taking away your health until you closed the distance to stop them from siphoning the health from you. I don't know about you but that sounds hella over powered to me.

Probably yes. But what's the thought about that one? More normals with strings? Or command normals?
Little bit of both really. I honestly don't think you need a game with 6 attack buttons, 2D or 3D (unless you are trying to make a game like SF). 4 is good because it's good for pad players and I am a pad player so I am biased as fuck.

In other news... The International 5 is fucking up big time right now... game servers crashing and stream not working. Not a good look for EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe sports right about now.

Right here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945766

if you try to close out the game window you get a message.

If you Quit you are a bad person

They're not rage quitters. It's the game dropping connections/disconnecting you. Happens all the time. Wins, losses, middle of matches, giving you win points after disconnecting you from a match you lost, the games a bit of a mess right now.

Didn't know about that. I guess since this is Alpha the ranking/points don't really matter that much since it's just there for testing.

Imagine if there was a reverse of Elena's Ultra where instead of healing, the character just did passive damage. Like you knocked someone down and you activated the Ultra they would take 200-300 damage for free... unmitigated and unavoidable. Or they could do that from full screen away and just keep taking away your health until you closed the distance to stop them from siphoning the health from you. I don't know about you but that sounds hella over powered to me.

Yeah you're definitely exaggerating. And trying to control space from full screen in street fighter isn't smart to begin with.

Dahbomb

Yeah you're definitely exaggerating. And trying to control space from full screen in street fighter isn't smart to begin with.
Who said anything about controlling space from full screen? You just back dash a few times then you activate the heal at maximum possible distance to get the best possible heal. You don't even need to be full screen... just enough where the opponent can't properly punish you.

Even if you use it for some duration and they get a sweep in for the punish... that's still fine (which is exactly what Gamerbee was doing... he would do some reckless heals even when he knew he could be swept for it).

When Elena heals... she is doing unmitigated and unavoidable heal. Whether she does it off of a knockdown or whether she does it full screen is not the point. Unlike something like Rose's Ultra or Dhalsim's Ultra... when that heal is successfully activated the heal is unmitigated as opposed to those two ultra where say Rose knocks someone down and uses Ultra on them... they can still block to mitigate the damage of the Ultra (or try to knock her out of it).

Well yeah, that would be ridiculous, Elena's healing is nowhere near as silly as that sounds. In my opinion Elena's healing isn't nearly as OP as a lot of people try to make it out to be. I have no idea why people insist on constantly throwing fireballs at her and giving her the ultra meter. I always wonder the same thing with Rose.

Who said anything about controlling space from full screen? You just back dash a few times then you activate the heal at maximum possible distance to get the best possible heal. You don't even need to be full screen... just enough where the opponent can't properly punish you.

Even if you use it for some duration and they get a sweep in for the punish... that's still fine (which is exactly what Gamerbee was doing... he would do some reckless heals even when he knew he could be swept for it).

A sweep really isn't fine though. Elena has a pretty weak wakeup game, especially if she gets pushed to the corner. Her backdash is godlike though. Hopefully you're just ready to chase her ass down.

Dahbomb

Well yeah, that would be ridiculous, Elena's healing is nowhere near as silly as that sounds. In my opinion Elena's healing isn't nearly as OP as a lot of people try to make it out to be. I have no idea why people insist on constantly throwing fireballs at her and giving her the ultra meter. I always wonder the same thing with Rose.
Of course it's not as silly as that since damage is still superior to healing because damage actually wins you the game. Healing just extends the game to your advantage and is really only a win condition when time out is brought into the equation. It's not like you automatically win the game if you heal for a certain amount.

The concept however is the same. If you think my example is ridiculous then you should approach Elena's heal with the same frame of mind (ie. how stupid would it be if it dealt damage instead of healing).

Dahbomb

It's isamu.
I don't know who that is. Is he known for doing this sort of stuff?

ProfessorBeef said:
Probably because you took it to such ridiculous heights.
What's ridiculous about it? We are having a solid discussion about the mechanics of an ability in a fighting game and its implication. Should I start talking about the latest Mike Ross gossip or anime instead? Or should I start talking about Marvel theory craft stuff? I know you like that stuff!

Of course it's not as silly as that since damage is still superior to healing because damage actually wins you the game. Healing just extends the game to your advantage and is really only a win condition when time out is brought into the equation. It's not like you automatically win the game if you heal for a certain amount.

No it's ridiculous because healing after a knockdown and recovering before you're punished doesn't net you the same amount of life as you would lose taking a tornado throw.

Dahbomb

No it's ridiculous because healing after a knockdown and recovering before you're punished doesn't net you the same amount of life as you would lose taking a tornado throw.
You are still stuck on the values and you still continue to miss the point.

Even if it healed for 100 after a knockdown that's still ridiculous because it's unavoidable and unmitigated. In addition the resource for building up this ability is through taking damage and absorbing attacks via the FA system which means that healing actually allows you rebuild the Ultra again which is unique to this Ultra. If you are Ryu and are at a pixel health with Ultra... you essentially only have one activation of the Ultra available to you through the match... if you are Elena, that pixel health can be extended to a point where you can get off additional Ultras as long as you had that initial one activation.

As opposed to just saying what is wrong with this mechanic, I will provide with other ways that the healing mechanic can be used:

*The Ultra is an animation that happens when you land a hit with it and instead of dealing damage with the Ultra, you heal on contact with the opponent for equivalent amount.
*Instead of it being an Ultra, it was Elena's super. It would still have the problem of being unavoidable and unmitigated but it would at least be attached to a resource system that doesn't feed into itself.
*The healing is proportional to the proximity of the opponent. The further you are away from the opponent the stronger it is. That way the heal can be some what mitigated by moving in aggressively.
*The healing has a singular animation and you only get the full heal when you complete the animation. Getting interrupted gives you no healing (so its like a majority of Ultras where you either get the full damage if you hit or you don't).

Tripon

For characters reveals in SFV for the rest of 2015:

Confirmed character reveals:

Brazilian Game Show

Likely reveals:

TwitchCon
Tokyo Game Show
The Game Awards hosted by Geoff Keighley
Sony's Experience event in December.
Capcom Cup 2015

Which will get us to 15 characters. You know, assuming that they don't pull a Vega and release him in a trailer not at an event.

Brazilian Game Show

Likely reveals:

TwitchCon
Tokyo Game Show
Capcom Cup 2015

Which will get us to 15 characters. You know, assuming that they don't pull a Vega and release him in a trailer not at an event.

You could argue the Vega trailer is technically for gamescom, especially as they'll have stations with vega playable there :3

You are still stuck on the values and you still continue to miss the point.

Even if it healed for 100 after a knockdown that's still ridiculous because it's unavoidable and unmitigated. In addition the resource for building up this ability is through taking damage and absorbing attacks via the FA system which means that healing actually allows you rebuild the Ultra again which is unique to this Ultra. If you are Ryu and are at a pixel health with Ultra... you essentially only have one activation of the Ultra available to you through the match... if you are Elena, that pixel health can be extended to a point where you can get off additional Ultras as long as you had that initial one.
But Healing is worthless against anyone who can do huge damage quickly. Elena can heal and FA until the cows come home, but it don't mean shit if she's healing for a negative net gain.

Hawk, Abel, Yun, etc. can all make Elena's healing a non factor because of their speed, buttons, and/or damage.

Even if it healed for 100 after a knockdown that's still ridiculous because it's unavoidable and unmitigated. In addition the resource for building up this ability is through taking damage and absorbing attacks via the FA system which means that healing actually allows you rebuild the Ultra again which is unique to this Ultra. If you are Ryu and are at a pixel health with Ultra... you essentially only have one activation of the Ultra available to you through the match... if you are Elena, that pixel health can be extended to a point where you can get off additional Ultras as long as you had that initial one activation.

You're not exaggerating?

Brazilian Game Show

Likely reveals:

TwitchCon
Tokyo Game Show
Capcom Cup 2015

You have to wonder if they will start revealing DLC characters they are working in a month before launch too...

Dahbomb

But Healing is worthless against anyone who can do huge damage quickly. Elena can heal and FA until the cows come home, but it don't mean shit if she's healing for a negative net gain.

Hawk, Abel, Yun, etc. can all make Elena's healing a non factor because of their speed, buttons, and/or damage.
Now you are getting into match ups and obviously those characters can punish the healing easier than other characters. That doesn't mean that Elena can't get a sweep on them and heal as well to extend her life total. In addition, these characters have to come into Elena to deal damage to her and when they do they have to deal with her close range normals and high/low mix ups. Like Zangief does explosive damage against Elena but it's still a tough time for him dealing with those normals.

But again we are getting into match ups and balance rather than the core design of the ability.

As opposed to just saying what is wrong with this mechanic, I will provide with other ways that the healing mechanic can be used:

*Instead of it being an Ultra, it was Elena's super. It would still have the problem of being unavoidable and unmitigated but it would at least be attached to a resource system that doesn't feed into itself.

This I would actually be ok with as it would almost be 3rd Strike status. Instead of whiffing normals for super I would just be hanging back and whiffing L Lynx Tail. It would definitely be an interesting change that I would welcome.

Now you are getting into match ups and obviously those characters can punish the healing easier than other characters. That doesn't mean that Elena can't get a sweep on them and heal as well to extend her life total. In addition, these characters have to come into Elena to deal damage to her and when they do they have to deal with her close range normals and high/low mix ups. Like Zangief does explosive damage against Elena but it's still a tough time for him dealing with those normals.

But again we are getting into match ups and balance rather than the core design of the ability.
Sweeping them and healing would be suicide.

Dahbomb

Sweeping them and healing would be suicide.
What about after her combo ending specials? Unless I am missing something here, she gets a free activation after those and can heal for quite a bit. Like in this example.

And even if she heals for a little it's still significant (which has been my point, it's not about the values but the concept). Not the same as other characters wasting their ultras as Elena is building back the resource that builds Ultras (which is HP).

Ultimately what makes this Ultra not completely overpowered in USF4 are the values. The values are less than what you would get if you hit someone with an Ultra on average and that's obviously by design because even Capcom knows that it would be too good if the values were higher. It's still a crazy concept by itself.

What about after her combo ending specials? Unless I am missing something here, she gets a free activation after those and can heal for quite a bit. Like in this example.

And even if she heals for a little it's still significant (which has been my point, it's not about the values but the concept). Not the same as other characters wasting their ultras as Elena is building back the resource that builds Ultras (which is HP).
Against the characters I mentioned, she can only heal for a little otherwise she eats a bunch of damage which negates what she gained, or worse, which puts her in a worse position than before.

Tokido's Akuma, for example, made Gamerbee not even use U1.

Top Bottom