• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

Xevren

I guess? at Toryuken we had some tekken players walk over to our setup to make fun of us for being there. last year at RitT4 some SFIV guy told us to play a real game.

That shit always pisses me off. People that just go around to shit on other fighters fucking suck.

Infinite

wait...what day is it again? Ah hell...
xIm67cG.jpg

Little late and pretty mentally fatigued here. Had a lot of overtime for goin on 9 days straight with no days off yet so this week just keepin it light and fluffy till I can get a technical question for you.
Disney Princesses.
Legend of Korra
Steven Universe

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
That shit always pisses me off. People that just go around to shit on other fighters fucking suck.
eh, not like I've never done it. just part of growing up I guess.

/edit/ well I haven't gone the rounds at a tourney shitting on people's games but w/e

I got nothing against VF. Tekken appeals to me more tho, it doesn't make sense to bash another player especially when tekken and VF are pretty darn close to each other gameplay wise, them being 3D fighters and all.

Awesome. I'm glad it's players are keeping it alive.

yeah, i play Tekken more than I play VF (and I love both). i just don't get shitting on another game's community, just respect each other and keep it moving. those heckling dudes suck ass.

Kumubou

I guess? at Toryuken we had some tekken players walk over to our setup to make fun of us for being there. last year at RitT4 some SFIV guy told us to play a real game.
The most important thing in life for a lot of people is to make sure they're above someone else in some social standing. Moving on up isn't as important as making sure you have someone else to take a dump on.

It's rather senseless, but it happens. I remember all of the flak I got when I started playing anime fighters at events way back in the day (and it was mainly from 3S players, interestingly enough). It's probably a significant reason why I hate 3S as much as I do. -_-;;

I'm imagining a group of guys in business suits and briefcases walking by the struggle VF section with mocking laughter
People joke about Tekken players making money? The few VF events that I've been to I feel like a goddamn pauper. Whereas at a typical anime fighting game event I may as well be part of the 1% (mainly because most anime FG players are completely broke).

People getting salty over Vega? He looks so fun in this. Hopefully he'll get more time to shine than he did in SF4.
He wasn't too bad in SFXT, but that was a missed opportunity for him...
You've never had to fight Claw in any of the games he's good in, like ST or CvS2. Fuuuuuuuuuck that character, I am frownfacing really hard over here about him being in SF5 at launch (although what they're doing to change him up looks mildly interesting, at least).

mbpm1

You've never had to fight Claw in any of the games he's good in, like ST or CvS2. Fuuuuuuuuuck that character, I am frownfacing really hard over here about him being in SF5 at launch (although what they're doing to change him up looks mildly interesting, at least).

Well at least he can't heal

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The Evo thread is kinda dead so I'll post what I posted there in here:

OK here's the deal......I watched the entire USFIV top 8 coverage again yesterday and I'm sorry but honestly guys, I really don't see how any of you can give props to Gamerbee.

I don't care how talented he is, he used the absolute CHEEZIEST character I've ever seen in fighting game history, Elena. I mean seriously....can someone please explain to me in laymen terms how Elena is NOT considered the cheeziest character ever? I mean, she can heal herself. Let me repeat that again....SHE. CAN. HEAL. HERSELF!!!!!!!! None of the other characters have this ability and it gives her a huge advantage!

Gamerbee was spamming the living shit out of Elena's healing abilities and if it weren't for her healing herself over and over and OVER again, Infiltration would have bodied him a hundred times. I mean C'mon....this was so unfair. Infiltration should not have had to work twice as hard to compete again such a lame character like Elena. She simply broken, and the amount of booos from the crowd that were thrown Gamerbee's way was justified.

Can anyone who disagrees offer a counterpoint explaining why I'm wrong? If so please do.

You know how I can tell that you don't play fighting games?

How am I wrong though? Please break it down for me, because I'm struggling to understand.

Rhapsody

Banned

Well, I can understand hating him through salt on the MU since he's dumb in those games lol

Tripon

OK here's the deal......I watched the entire USFIV top 8 coverage again yesterday and I'm sorry but honestly guys, I really don't see how any of you can give props to Gamerbee.

I don't care how talented he is, he used the absolute CHEEZIEST character I've ever seen in fighting game history, Elena. I mean seriously....can someone please explain to me in laymen terms how Elena is NOT considered the cheeziest character ever? I mean, she can heal herself. Let me repeat that again....SHE. CAN. HEAL. HERSELF!!!!!!!! None of the other characters have this ability and it gives her a huge advantage!

Gamerbee was spamming the living shit out of Elena's healing abilities and if it weren't for her healing herself over and over and OVER again, Infiltration would have bodied him a hundred times. I mean C'mon....this was so unfair. Infiltration should not have had to work twice as hard to compete again such a lame character like Elena. She simply broken, and the amount of booos from the crowd that were thrown Gamerbee's way was justified.

Can anyone who disagrees offer a counterpoint explaining why I'm wrong? If so please do.

How am I wrong though? Please break it down for me, because I'm struggling to understand.
You play to win the game.

Rean

I think from now on the character reveals for SFV are gonna be in a pattern of returning and then new characters. iirc Ken was revealed then Necalli and now Vega. Then again, I might be completely wrong, but its just a thought.

Perro

play 2 win
there's money on the line
infil picked Gouken vs Hugo, that shit is 9-1 matchup, fuck being fair.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

elena's healing is only potent vs people who hang back

mbpm1

As much as I despise Elena

Infiltration was giving him meter for free with those safe fireballs. Gamerbee focused and absorbed so many of them and then backdashed and Infiltration kept doing it knowing he wasn't discouraging him at all from this tactic.

There was one round where he stopped throwing fireballs, and he won that and made Gamerbee look somewhat helpless.

Let me add that he beat Gamerbee's Elena earlier by NOT throwing a ton of fireballs and going in.

Yes, Elena is horrid to try to get in on, but infiltration didn't even try even though he had had success with this earlier on.

Dahbomb

Play to win. If winning means using some cheesy strat then you use the cheesy strat, shamelessly if you have to.

Other players either adapt to it, counter pick it or they pick it as well.

Shouta

Play to win, considering cash prize at Evo that's a good reason.

But his healing strategy is only useful for someone that is letting him do it over and over. Infiltration kept throwing fireballs over and over which are can be FADC'd easily. If he stopped throwing them out like that, Gamerbee couldn't heal that many times.

It's similar to what happened in Grand Finals at Evo in 2014 when Bonchan kept throwing Tiger Shots at Rose and Luffy just absorbed them for meter and combos into Super. You let that situation happen occur when you're facing an opponent that does it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

her Ultra heals her instead of doing damage to her opponent. I don't see how that's unfair.

I go back to SC4 from time to time. I had fun with it for years, but there's plenty of bs in the game. The few people still playing it now are doing so because they dislike SCV or because of nostalgia. But if they are still playing, then they should think about coming to Summer Jam or NEC and chill with the rest of the community.

There's also 3 SCV tournaments (East Coast/France/Japan) this month for anyone interested.
Ooh, are they going to stream the SC3 tournies?

Summer Jam and whatnot sound fun but considering I'm in Scotland and kinda broke at the moment they're a bit out of reach :p

I definitely wouldn't say we went back to SC4 out of nostalgia as I don't think we were all that attached to it the first time around, but we suddenly appreciated it a lot more after playing SCV for a while.
That said, I'd drop it in a heartbeat for an HD remake of SC3 arcade edition XD

I never thought Elena's healing was that OP. You're making a choice to not deal damage via super. If anything about Elena I feel the way she moves is OP lol. Mostly because I've played a lot of eddies/Christies from tekken.

Her fighting style is what I really think about about when I fight against her. The healing is kinda just there.

Dahbomb

her Ultra heals her instead of doing damage. I don't see how that's unfair.
It's a bit unfair because the heal doesn't require her to actually hit someone with it to get the benefit. She can also re-use it multiple times using Focus Attack unlike most other Ultras (because you can't throw out most ultra full screen to get their benefit... you will get punished way, way harder).

Imagine if there was a character that could use their Ultra from full screen and it did damage to the other player no matter where they are and it couldn't be blocked. Elena's healing super is the reverse of that... it's unavoidable health differential. Of course doing damage is more potent than healing but in a game where managing life bars is so important it's something that shouldn't really exist in its current state.

The reason why healing works in MOBA or MMORPGs etc is because most damage is unavoidable anyway. If someone throws a Laguna Blade in DOTA 2... that spell does damage on activation... you can't block it or dodge it like you can a Hadoken (yeah, yeah there are some items you can build or some tricks you can do but generally speaking it's not something you can avoid once its used). Same thing for healing... when you heal yourself you can't be blocked out of it... so damage and healing in these games are generally unavoidable instances so the games are built around it. This is not the case with fighting games where most attacks are blockable or completely avoidable. So putting in something that either takes away health or adds health that is unavoidable is pretty damn powerful because it upsets the damage scale.

But again... you can't fault Gamerbee for using it. If it's in the game and it's legal while being ridiculously strong... I would say that he would be foolish NOT to use it.

It's a bit unfair because the heal doesn't require her to actually hit someone with it to get the benefit. She can also re-use it multiple times using Focus Attack unlike most other Ultras (because you can't throw out most ultra full screen to get their benefit... you will get punished way, way harder).

So Rose and Juri's ultra and anyone with an anti fireball ultra.

Kumubou

I always thought the sillier part of Elena'a Healing ultra was the feedback loop that it creates. You take damage, but then you recover a portion of it, which then means you can take more damage, and then regenerate even more of it. I don't think it would have been much of a factor at all if it was her super (then it would almost never be worth the meter it cost), instead of being an ultra where she's effectively guaranteed to get at least 2 uses per game.

Most games that have a healing mechanic both have a hard cap on what you can recover and usually have a high resource cost (either by having the character out of commission completely in tag games, or by having to blow all of your meter to access it).

DunpealD

Well done job enzo. Really liked your special occasion banners.

xIm67cG.jpg

Little late and pretty mentally fatigued here. Had a lot of overtime for goin on 9 days straight with no days off yet so this week just keepin it light and fluffy till I can get a technical question for you.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Weird characters and weird moves. Could be one awesome funny looking game.

Kongo Bancho
Interesting characters and fighting styles. Probably more like an ASW fighter, but old school SF2/SamSho based would be fun too.

Not really license but I would like to see PSABR done like Spawn: In the Demons Hand. But more elaborate system to bring each different character gameplay to life.

yeah, i play Tekken more than I play VF (and I love both). i just don't get shitting on another game's community, just respect each other and keep it moving. those heckling dudes suck ass.

I don't care what game, if somebody has fun with it more power to them.

So since the first SFV "beta" is "over". Anybody making a feature wishlist/discussion thread?

Hunter x Hunter that plays likes Blazblue.

Orrr a proper Batman fighting game that plays like Tekken. The mixing of power levels like in Injustice always feels super contrived, and Batman has tons of characters who just do fisticuffs. I'd totally steal Injustice's Trait button though. Make all the fighters more unique on a system level than they are in Tekken, and pare down the moves lists to about half-ish what they are there.

Dahbomb

So Rose and Juri's ultra and anyone with an anti fireball ultra.
Rose and Juri Ultras don't do free unavoidable damage to you from full screen away nor do they heal you for free. They are utility ultras... they buff up the character but by themselves they don't do anything. Sure you can use them multiple times and get free activation but they don't do unavoidable damage differential.

xIm67cG.jpg

Fate fighting game made by French Bread or Arcsys.

giphy.gif

Elena's healing is bad against characters that can deal huge amounts of damage in a short time. Anyone who struggles to get in or has low bursts of damage of course is gonna hate her lol

And regarding an Avatar fighting game, I'd just pick Korra and deus ex machina everyone for free wins.

vulva

Super late but thanks again and lotsa <3 to Rentahamster, Shouta, Vulva, Blackule and Q(and anyone else I might be missing).

Thanks for everything Enzo, you did a fine job soldier. Good luck on your future endeavours!

Just keep your hands off my gf next time ;)

The Vega salt is great. He's not my type of character at all but I appreciate that now we have a stance character to continue rounding out the cast. It's only gonna get worse from here too, as people are gonna feel more and more threatened that their favourite character x's spot is going to be taken by y.

you should know better than to trust tentative character select layouts bruh
I can't wait for the Blanka reveal. It will be magical.

Dahbomb

Elenas healing has nothing on Phoenix's healing from UMVC3. Healing and still comboing you LOL.

https://youtu.be/xSQLoEfsOu0
Phoenix is a whole different character altogether with a completely different game plan than regular fighting game characters.

Base Phoenix can't afford to use the Healing super because she needs the 5 bars for Dark Phoenix. Her health is so low as it is that healing doesn't really matter much when you can to a sneeze.

Dark Phoenix actually needs the Healing super because she passively loses health while not in XF. She really needs the Healing super because otherwise outside of XF she would just get killed by random chip from full screen.

I think the main problem with the Phoenix Healing field super is that it heals her while she is being comboed. If she has the field on her effective HP is essentially doubled so if you get her in a combo while the field is up, it will take you longer to kill her. I can definitely see people having a problem with that but again... it's Phoenix. The character was designed from top to bottom to be over powered as fuck (like Seth) and even then she isn't even close to being the best overall character in the game. That's how insane the power levels in the game are now at this point.

You would think casual audiences would love elena. Healing was the habdouken spamming and turtling counter. And she fights by getting in your face, doing high low mixups and cool combos. Sounds like the character people have always wanted.

Rose and Juri Ultras don't do free unavoidable damage to you from full screen away nor do they heal you for free. They are utility ultras... they buff up the character but by themselves they don't do anything. Sure you can use them multiple times and get free activation but they don't do unavoidable damage differential.

So when Vergil puts up spiral swords you just shrug it off and play normally?

Tizoc

Well done job enzo. Really liked your special occasion banners.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Weird characters and weird moves. Could be one awesome funny looking game.

Kongo Bancho
Interesting characters and fighting styles. Probably more like an ASW fighter, but old school SF2/SamSho based would be fun too.

Not really license but I would like to see PSABR done like Spawn: In the Demons Hand. But more elaborate system to bring each different character gameplay to life.

I don't care what game, if somebody has fun with it more power to them.

So since the first SFV "beta" is "over". Anybody making a feature wishlist/discussion thread?

My Lizza.
I too dream of a Kongou Banchou fighting game ToT

Dahbomb

So when Vergil puts up spiral swords you just shrug it off and play normally?
Different game with different mechanics. Vergil's Spiral Swords are more comparable to Rose's Ultra. By itself the Swords do minimal chip and even then he can be hit out of it or punished on activation (some characters can go through Swords like Cap while other characters like Dormammu can punish it full screen). So it's not 100% unavoidable damage differential on activation like Elena's Ultra. Even then, I have stated numerous times that Spiral Sword is an insanely over powered hyper for 1 bar and even suggested that it be nerfed in the giant patch list. So comparing one over powered Ultra to an over powered hyper in another game doesn't really do the comparison any favors.

If we are going to start talking about hypers/ultras doing chip damage that is hard to avoid then you might as well bring up Dhalsim/Dorm/Decapre giant fireballs. At their absolute worse, you take some chip from them. That's a big difference from Elena's unavoidable heal which is in no way comparable to chip damage.

I'm surprised by the lack of Jojos around here. A tournament level Jojos game would be great, but only if we get Hamon users alongside stand users. I really liked the Hamon battles.
xIm67cG.jpg

There are too many to think of.

Kill la Kill that plays and looks like Skullgirls

Kongou Banchou that plays like Guilty Gear Accent Core. Demon Kongou would be some scary shit

History's strongest disciple Kenichi that plays grounded like Skullgirls, but uses Master class fighters as Arcanas ala AH3

The last one would be awesome.
Fate fighting game made by French Bread or Arcsys.
Too bad the animation will probably be Xrd tier in comparison to this.

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174008871]Only one character can be the cheeziest.

0kqqm.gif
[/QUOTE]

Not the most unbeatable God of Death created lol. Cheesiest would be this guy...
GcqpquF.jpg

Malice215

Ooh, are they going to stream the SC3 tournies?

Summer Jam and whatnot sound fun but considering I'm in Scotland and kinda broke at the moment they're a bit out of reach :p

I definitely wouldn't say we went back to SC4 out of nostalgia as I don't think we were all that attached to it the first time around, but we suddenly appreciated it a lot more after playing SCV for a while.
That said, I'd drop it in a heartbeat for an HD remake of SC3 arcade edition XD

Damn you way out of reach. There is an event in London next month if you want to link up with the community there.

I get the same feeling when I go back to SC4. There's a bunch of technical mechanics in SC4 that I enjoyed using which were removed from SCV to simplify the game. I'm also reminded of the stuff that I don't want to ever go back to like Amy 50/50s, Ivy/Kilik/Voldo BS, slow movement, guard break moves that are negative on block, have the roster being trash, critical finish, etc.

I also miss the community from back then because now everybody just plays online except for the occasional tournament here and there.

I'd love a remake of the arcade version of SC3. Never going to happen though. I do love going back and watching SBO for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAmldQW6tZ0

Top Bottom