• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

Perro

No more wireless for me yay!
I still can't play in FightCade tho, same UDP6000:6009 error ;_; I think I'm done with it until there's a new upgrade. At least Ultra on steam won't be so bad.
i still need my garou, last blade and 3strike fightcade plz

Tripon

No more wireless for me yay!
I still can't play in FightCade tho, same UDP6000:6009 error ;_; I think I'm done with it until there's a new upgrade. At least Ultra on steam won't be so bad.
i still need my garou, last blade and 3strike fightcade plz
Somebody has been ddosing fightcade.

Perro

Somebody has been ddosing fightcade.
I know, but my problem is from months ago. I can log in, but when you challenge someone you can't connecto to the emulator and will appear a message in the chat. I didn't have this problem in the early version of Fightcade sooo yeah... im lost.

shaowebb

Good lord I'm not certain its possible to drop a combo in Arcana Heart when using the magnetism arcana. EVERYTHING STAYS CLOSE. @_@

Please ASW...make your tag fighter based off of some of this customization stuff. I dig everything else a ton too, but geez this is sandbox city with or without the dash cancels. Just a shit load of options per arcana get added to anyone you equip them onto. I want this kind of setup in the next marvel game where you can equip some sort of thinger and suddenly add several moves, supers, an ultra and passive abilities along with different xfactor bonuses/health damage bonuses.

The shit I could have done with the Love Arcana or Wind Arcana and Iron Fist...hell the stuff Morrigan could have done with the EVIL arcana to poison folk...

This shit would be waaaaaay better than just assist calls.Heck it'd allow you to form teams without the added pressure of having to always pair them with the same backup. Put some sorta arcana equivalent on a character to make them stronger at something other than the standard and equip them for that strategy.

I love this sandbox thingy :D
Why they gotta be so moe-fied though...even anime fans say this one goes pretty far with it :(

ShinMaruku

Real talk though why should a US person go to Capcom cup when they have no chance of winning unless the winner is getting less than 200k...

Tripon

It's strange that he doesn't try. He has already qualified for the finals but there's potential money there.

There's still Taiwan, Cheng Du, Hong Kong, Saigon, and Singapore.

Infiltration said he wants to go to the Saigon cup, One of the Chinese boys will probably win the Cheng Du cup, Gamerbee will probably win Taiwan. Gackt and Xian will gatekeep Singapore.

So that leaves Hong Kong where the best players are from China, and Humanbomb.

PR Rog has a chance of winning.

Idk about that. He won against Tokido in a grand finals a couple of years ago, but he never wins tournaments. Especially one as big as that.

^Is Gamerbee allowed to compete in the Taiwan event? He's the TO I think.

petghost

Banned
Idk about that. He won against Tokido in a grand finals a couple of years ago, but he never wins tournaments. Especially one as big as that.

I found it strange that James Chen put rog in his top 5 Sf4 players of all time along daigo infiltration etc. He is def the best "American" and def made almost every evo top 8 but I don't think I ever seen him win against stiff foreign comp. For reference he didn't have Xian on there who I think has done great at competing against any region.

Tripon

Hmm, you're right. I forgot that staff members can't compete in the tournaments.

Even then, Capcom cup isn't a regular tournament. The people in it will be able to prepare carefully and will do so.

He would need to put in a lot of effort and work to succeed in that environment. Probably a lot more work than everybody else.

And he is a US based player so...

It's kind of hard to study up for your opponent when it's a 2/3. Crowd might get hype for the other player, a counterpick can be more effective, and players will play more riskier.

I found it strange that James Chen put rog in his top 5 Sf4 players of all time along daigo infiltration etc. He is def the best "American" and def made almost every evo top 8 but I don't think I ever seen him win against stiff foreign comp. For reference he didn't have Xian on there who I think has done great at competing against any region.

Same here, I was pretty dumbfounded by that. Chen's main reason is all his EVO top 8 finishes. That in itself is a amazing accomplishment, but winning should matter more and he doesn't enough of those in tournaments with a lot of international comp. His last big win was probably NCR last year when he beat Infiltration in GF. But Infil was the only big name international there.

Best American? Yeah I still think he is but not a top 5 all time SF4 player.

Westlo

Best American? Yeah I still think he is but not a top 5 all time SF4 player.

Yeah no way..... wouldn't even be top 10.... Daigo, Momochi, Infiltration, Xian, Sako, Mago, Fuudo, Bonchan, Gamerbee, Tokido, Kazunoko....

But yeah best American and probably top 15 overall... he'll be in or above the Luffy, Poongko, Xiao Hai, Ryan Hart, Uryo etc

I think James Chen is too much of a homer to be objective about some of America's best talent.

I loved David's reaction to that.

To me the tournaments worth the most are EVO, Topanga, Gods Garden, SBO, and official Capcom Tournaments. Aside from winning I think getting top 8 at EVO is an accomplishment and getting top2/3 in the other tournaments I listed are also valued. After this, other tournament wins should be considered. Maybe more so this year considering this year's normal majors have a lot of talent present with more money on the line.

Eddy has proven he is the most consistent high place U.S finisher. He may not win it all but he could prevent them from getting into grand finals.

Yep. He's the ultimate gate keeper. He gives a lot of players trouble and with the crowd behind him he can beat anyone. He's always a contender to get into the top 8 at a big tournament.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Eddy has proven he is the most consistent high place U.S finisher. He may not win it all but he could prevent them from getting into grand finals.

James did admit that he overlooked Xian in retrospect.

But basing it solely on Evo top 8 finishers is biased for the US from the start. Luffy for instance, didn't travel to Evo until 2013 but he has been an active tournament winner since vanilla.

Vice

Question to american citizens: How much does it cost to get a new passport? Is it really $400?
About $160 the first time. Probably more if you get it expedited.

Edit: there's like a $150 fee if you don't have a citizenship document and make them search you up in a registry.

PR rog will likely be in CPT after First Attack, the Puetro Rico ranking event.

He has enough points at this stage and he's proven he's good enough to gain those points.

I think the American with a lot points that could not make it to Capcom Cup is Ricki. She hasn't shown she can make top 8 at a premier event and the only times she has made top 8 at a ranking event were Combo Breaker and Texas Showdown. However, this all depends on which players show up to the ranking events.

Snake, Dieminion, and Smug have all proven this year they can pick up points if they enter the big tournaments.

Kumubou

Question to american citizens: How much does it cost to get a new passport? Is it really $400?
It's $110 for the passport book ($140 if you opt for both the book and a card that can be used in limited circumstances), and expediting it is an additional $74.85. There's also a $25 execution fee because Reasons. Even with all that, it's nowhere near $400.

Kumubou

Thanks guys, so it's around 160 and a one month wait right?

We´re trying to get Sanford to come to Lima ;)
Shouldn't Sanford already have a passport? He would have needed one to travel to Germany for the ESGL matches (or whatever that fraud-ass league was called).

gutabo

Shouldn't Sanford already have a passport? He would have needed one to travel to Germany for the ESGL matches (or whatever that fraud-ass league was called).

You're right. Seems like he lost it or he can't find it for now. So a renewal would be $110 only?

ShinMaruku

I don't know how some people DON'T have their past port, I understand I travel more than most but still you should always have that.

With this lack of passports no wonder the US will never win a SF4 Capcom Cup.

They have to get outta their comfort zone.

gutabo

Welp, just bought sanford's plane ticket using money from fundraising events(from local mvc2 and usf4 communities). He'll be here for a week(last week of october).

Yay us! :D

Another funny thing James said was that the Asians dominate the top 10 in the CPT rankings, but they're not necessarily better. It's just that they're traveling and Americans are not. David pretty much chuckled at that and said something along the lines of "yeah they are".

I mean seriously, if Americans can't defend their home turf when all the top Americans are there with tons of pot monsters and the crowd heavily in their favor then what hope do they have by sending maybe the 4 or 5 best American players to go to one of the Asian Premier events and win it?

Kumubou

I don't know how some people DON'T have their past port, I understand I travel more than most but still you should always have that.

With this lack of passports no wonder the US will never win a SF4 Capcom Cup.

They have to get outta their comfort zone.
About 46% of Americans have a passport, and there's many reasons why it's not nearly as high as most other industrialized countries. Frankly, there's less of a need -- this country is so goddamn big and diverse (both culturally and geographically) you can go to nearly any type of environment within he country. Due to its size, there's also some severe logistical and cost issues, since going anywhere outside of North America is going to be a hike -- and expensive. If you want to travel to Europe or Asia, the airfare alone is going to be over a grand, and that's not something a lot of people can just drop money on.

That and you generally get piddly dick for vacation time working in the US, as companies are not legally mandated to give any paid leave whatsoever. Hell, even when they do it can be a ton of effort. I know when I went to Japan for a month I had to pull teeth for two to three months at work to get that approved.

Let's be real -- how many asian players that are not sponsored are traveling to a number of tournaments? There are a couple (like Infiltration and Kazunoko), but that's still not that many more than zero. Does this just come down to Madcatz's and Razer's travel budgets for players being bigger than anyone else's?

About 46% of Americans have a passport, and there's many reasons why it's not nearly as high as most other industrialized countries. Frankly, there's less of a need -- this country is so goddamn big and diverse (both culturally and geographically) you can go to nearly any type of environment within he country. Due to its size, there's also some severe logistical and cost issues, since going anywhere outside of North America is going to be a hike -- and expensive. If you want to travel to Europe or Asia, the airfare alone is going to be over a grand, and that's not something a lot of people can just drop money on.

That and you generally get piddly dick for vacation time working in the US, as companies are not legally mandated to give any paid leave whatsoever. Hell, even when they do it can be a ton of effort. I know when I went to Japan for a month I had to pull teeth for two to three months at work to get that approved.

Let's be real -- how many asian players that are not sponsored are traveling to a number of tournaments? There are a couple (like Infiltration and Kazunoko), but that's still not that many more than zero. Does this just come down to Madcatz's and Razer's travel budgets for players being bigger than anyone else's?

Remember when Justin Wong said he was going to go to SEAM?

Wait, was it SEAM or KVO?

Remember when Justin Wong said he was going to go to SEAM?

Wait, was it SEAM or KVO?

He was on the list of participants for KVO (website), but I don't think that he was ever really confirmed.

He said he was going to SEAM (on stream) and was advertised for going to SEAM up until he said that he's not going to any tournaments in June so he could focus on practicing. so he ducked SEAM for sure.

petghost

Banned
Another funny thing James said was that the Asians dominate the top 10 in the CPT rankings, but they're not necessarily better. It's just that they're traveling and Americans are not. David pretty much chuckled at that and said something along the lines of "yeah they are".

I mean seriously, if Americans can't defend their home turf when all the top Americans are there with tons of pot monsters and the crowd heavily on their favor then what hope do they have by sending maybe the 4 or 5 best American players to go to one of the Asian Premier events and win it?

i get what hes saying if what he means is that the asian folks arent just magically better but are better in part because they travel to fight the best competition.

yo persona is sposed to be executionally light but god damn some of these yukari combos have tight ass links i think

When Sonicfox picks up sf5 it's over for the rest of these scrubs

He'll just be another top player breh. Not even Momochi can consistently win right now.

BTW, no idea if this is true, but I remember Hydebuffy saying that NIN has started playing SF4. He said it a few weeks ago on Poongko's stream. Don't believe it until you see him on stream though.

Topanga announced a tournament
-August 23rd (most like 22nd for us in the states)
-Online tournament
-An official Nico Nico stream
-Winner of the tournament will be invited to an unannounced tournament (probably Topanga B League)

Top Bottom