• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

for day to day #s, im pretty sure

It would be. You are normally looking at LoL, then dota/cs and hearthstone during certain hours.

I think subscriber figures per game would be a better indication of what does well, since it will be legit. I don't think there is info on that though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I vote for Panda as well. He was always the heir to the throne, and some may argue that he has always been our leader. In our hearts.

CurlyW

I think the bigger news than the US winning a video game tournament is that it was the US MIDWEST winning a video game tournament.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
More seriously, my 2c on these threads moving forward:

- Malice215 has been doing a better job keeping an up to date reference for upcoming events than pretty much any other resource I can find on the internet, including our FGW OPs (which have been largely bumming off of his calendar for a while now since it appears even major FGC sites gives less of a fuck about this sort of thing than FGW does). His FGC Calendar is pretty much anything people need if they need to refer to, even if they won't and will ask via a post anyways

- IMO the resources section is well curated as is for newbies if the next thread maker wants to have something like that

- Pretty much everything else can go because I don't think anybody actually cares, besides maybe the spotlight

- The previous bullet point is why I'm kind of #TeamCommunity but it still seems like most people would like to stay in Gaming and.. I'm not sure if there's actually an end to the "Gaming or Community" conversation that we've had a million times

- Only real qualification needed is being dedicated to actually making the threads week-to-week, and... has anyone actually shown interest besides GB? Whether they have yet or not they should speak up now.

So those crazy numbers from Douyu are actually real? I know the country has over 1 billion people but do they really like watching video game streams more than the rest of the world combined?

That Chinese CPT tournament from last week was showing over 100k the whole time. Which is crazy because I've never seen a FG tournament outside of EVO do that on Twitch.

yeah, I don't really trust those numbers completely...but I could definitely believe the vast majority of the views came from China considering Europe went to sleep towards the end :p

So Viscant thinks that if SFV is a great game it can get close to those DOTA pay outs we just saw today.

https://twitter.com/JayViscant/status/630205511019835393

I really want to believe as well but I don't think it will when it comes to my definition of close. Which would have to be at least a 1 million dollar pay out for the winner of Capcom Cup and I don't see that happening anytime soon, at least within the first 3 years of the games life. I think we will see 1 million plus for CPT 2016, but that will be everything spread across all the events leading up to Capcom Cup.

If people love the game then hopefully it keeps growing from there. We could see incremental increases like we have for SF4 from 2009 until now and it can happen in the next 5 years or so. The most optimistic dream is that all sorts of people are waiting for SFV to come out so when it finally comes out their is this huge explosion in the numbers(players and viewers) that it would justify Capcom and Sony investing even more money into the CPT.

TGMIII

So Viscant thinks that if SFV is a great game it can get close to those DOTA pay outs we just saw today.

I really want to believe as well but I don't think it will when it comes to my definition of close. Which would have to be at least a 1 million dollar pay out for the winner of Capcom Cup and I don't see that happening anytime soon, at least within the first 3 years of the games life. I think we will see 1 million plus for CPT 2016, but that will but everything spread across all the events leading up to Capcom Cup.

If people love the game then hopefully it keeps growing from there. We could see incremental increases like we have for SF4 from 2009 until now and it can happen in the next 5 years or so. The most optimistic dream is that all sorts of people are waiting for SFV to come out so when it finally comes out their is this huge explosion in the numbers(players and viewers) that it would justify Capcom and Sony investing even more money into the CPT.

It's pure delusion to think this is remotely possible. I'd be surprised if Sony back CPT next year.

Tripon

It's pure delusion to think this is remotely possible. I'd be surprised if Sony back CPT next year.

Uh, Sony has exclusive console rights to the game. You don't think they won't market the shit out of that, including prize money? Half a million is a drop in the bucket for marketing. Buying ad time during prime time is many times more expensive.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

SFV is gonna end up selling like crazy. The thirst is real. Check out this insane line for SFV at a Sydney event. Line up for almost 2 hours just for 3 games.

VRth2x9.jpg

I talked to these people and 80%+ were not "FGC" but said they were gonna get this game and they loved this shit back in the day.

Unless Capcom pull a SFxT and fuck it up somehow and get everyone to be anti SFV this shit about to sell like crack. Not dota level of course but I expect next year 1 million for Capcom Pro Tour.

xCobalt

I talked to these people and 80%+ were not "FGC" but said they were gonna get this game and they loved this shit back in the day.

Unless Capcom pull a SFxT and fuck it up somehow and get everyone to be anti SFV this shit about to sell like crack. Not dota level of course but I expect next year 1 million for Capcom Pro Tour.

Casual Street Fighter fans won't be sticking with the game a month after release. They'll play for nostalgia purposes or until that one friend who know what they're doing beats them all and they quit. $1 million is very optimistic.

Source: me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I really want to believe as well but I don't think it will when it comes to my definition of close. Which would have to be at least a 1 million dollar pay out for the winner of Capcom Cup and I don't see that happening anytime soon, at least within the first 3 years of the games life. I think we will see 1 million plus for CPT 2016, but that will but everything spread across all the events leading up to Capcom Cup.

I'm still a huge believer that fighting games can be that big, but if, and only if, they remove the stigmas attached to them. People become believers after watching EVO, but everything else isn't really there to get the word out and I've always felt it will take a new, progressive SF game to do so. And look at SFV; it's pretty much the closest thing to, without being, the ideal DotA model to make the genre reach the next level.

Big, flashy prizes won't make your average joe play the game and contribute to the financial ecosystem that actually keeps this stuff afloat longer than a year. You need a good, accessible game with great post-launch support. Fighting games have made progress, but no impact. SFV is that opportunity. Capcom and the community has to push it like it's super easy to get into, learn, and they don't have to worry about being sideswiped by an EVO champion the first time they go into matchmaking.

Because current eSports giants are F2P, you probably will never see a community that large, despite PC opening up opportunities for players in China, Korea, etc. but there's lots of room for growth and perhaps being able to move up next to FPS and RTS titles.

I don't know about Sony, but they definitely won't be the only sponsor and they've already hinted at it being more.

SFV is gonna end up selling like crazy. The thirst is real. Check out this insane line for SFV at a Sydney event. Line up for almost 2 hours just for 3 games.

VRth2x9.jpg

The thirst is super real. I'm hearing the buzz IRL and the Beta thread kind of confirmed that as well. The journey to launch is going to get crazier and crazier too. I hope Capcom doesn't fumble this *knock on wood*

TGMIII

Uh, Sony has exclusive console rights to the game. You don't think they won't market the shit out of that, including prize money? Half a million is a drop in the bucket for marketing. Buying ad time during prime time is many times more expensive.

Sorry, what I meant was the year after next with SFV. I just don't see what incentives Sony have to back it after the launch year of SFV. It's obviously not out of the realm of possibility but I don't see it.

Those numbers no, but the game is set up for success.

Absolutely but typically expectations and assumptions within the FGC are massively blown out of proportion. I believe the FGCs unwillingness to meet anyone else half way or be flexible in regards to sponsors and outside organizations has cost it massively in the past, although it's something that I like about the scene and hate at the same time.

SFV launch will be big, the casual fanbase will be huge but lets see what the retention of that fanbase is in a year before people start making crazy predictions about the outcome in multiple years.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SFV launch will be big, the casual fanbase will be huge but lets see what the retention of that fanbase is in a year before people start making crazy predictions about the outcome in multiple years.

If we get a new character at the most every 1 1/2 months then it will retain hard

Dahbomb

I don't think we will be seeing DOTA 2 style money for SFV. It's a god damn 18 million prize pool for a single event...

Maybe after this generation we'll see.

Casual Street Fighter fans won't be sticking with the game a month after release. They'll play for nostalgia purposes or until that one friend who know what they're doing beats them all and they quit. $1 million is very optimistic.

Source: me

You mean for next years CPT total pay out? If yes then I'd bet the farm on CPT 2016 having a 1 million total pay out. I think Capcom/Sony planned this all along. They get exclusively rights to SFV and helps port USF4 to PS4 with a 500k pay out for the 2015 CPT. Then when the brand new and console exclusive SFV comes out, they drop an even bigger bomb. 1 million for the 2016 CPT. Everything just gets doubled I guess. 30k for Premier events, 100k for EVO, and 500k for Capcom Cup with the winner getting 240k.

Eh, maybe I am being optimistic. But I'm pretty confident that this will be the case.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The thirst is super real. I'm hearing the buzz IRL and the Beta thread kind of confirmed that as well. The journey to launch is going to get crazier and crazier too. I hope Capcom doesn't fumble this *knock on wood*

Yup, the buzz is real. Funny thing was they had 6 setups 4 with arcade sticks and two with pad and most people wanted to play on the sticks.

@Rice Eater: Agreed.

We won't see Dota style payouts but lets be real a Capcom Pro Tour with 1 Million (which i think will happen next year) on the line is still fucking huge. Hell even the payout this year was amazing.

MKX with their payout and BlueSteel skin incentive was awesome idea too that think Capcom will use for SFV.

"Hey Guys Here Is Ken O.G + 3rd Strike Skin all money goes towards tournaments"

Ends up selling a fuck ton. :p

shaowebb

Yup, the buzz is real. Funny thing was they had 6 setups 4 with arcade sticks and two with pad and most people wanted to play on the sticks.

@Rice Eater: Agreed.

We won't see Dota style payouts but lets be real a Capcom Pro Tour with 1 Million (which i think will happen next year) on the line is still fucking huge. Hell even the payout this year was amazing.

MKX with their payout and BlueSteel skin incentive was awesome idea too that think Capcom will use for SFV.

*takes notes*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

This is my biggest worry for them getting right. They need to pump out content fast or have a really rapid pipeline to retain people. Every time they mention online is crucial to the success of the game it makes me smile because I feel like they're actively looking at what makes other competitive games successful, but boy does a lot need to change.

TGMIII

If we get a new character at the most every 1 1/2 months then it will retain hard

Even if I thought that was true, it falls to Capcom doing everything right. The pacing of releases, price both in terms of in game currency and real money cost and the characters they pick. People are going to scrape the disk for data once it drops and if there's even a slight reference to DLC character data there will be a blow up over it, even if it's inconsequential shit. Videogame consumers have proven that they'll bitch and cry over the slightest thing even if it doesn't remotely effect them.

The amount of things that have to correctly align are staggering and even then that doesn't mean that things will consistently grow year on year.

I seriously think people are massively over estimating the retention that the game will have. Even with a planned pipeline of content you're still going to have mass exodus of players within the first 6 months so it's a question of what Capcom can do to stem this as much as possible. If anything will help this it's potentially going to be the crossplay between PC/PS4 that will give a larger player pool that hopefully creates a better environment for newer players. Still I think that fighting games, much like most 1v1 competitive games, has the innate problem of retaining players.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
This is my biggest worry for them getting right. They need to pump out content fast or have a really rapid pipeline to retain people. Every time they mention online is crucial to the success of the game it makes me smile because I feel like they're actively looking at what makes other competitive games successful, but boy does a lot need to change.

Not gonna be easy at all but hopefully they do the right things.

Also, I think it's super important that they try and get as many people from China on board for SFV PC which I'm sure we will see happen because they know how huge of a market it is.

Mecha

Just imagine if fighting games were as popular as MOBAs, people could play poverty games online and always find matches.

Top Bottom