• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

Astarte

Aeon of strife I believe.

Sc had the best custom maps. Rpgs, storylines, horror maps, tower defense...

Custom StarCraft maps were my shit as a kid

Oh man, those maps were incredible. Defense maps, movie and game recreations, even some hilariously lewd things.

Dahbomb

You know how EG won TI5?

They picked top tiers.

USA top players need to get their shit together for SFV. None of this unique snowflake bull shit. Kbrad was on point in the latest Excellent Adventures... he was like "I thought you guys were smart... can't you tell these characters are just better than others?"

ShinMaruku

Just picking top won't help them. They need to help up their scene and take heart from
This is probably my favorite aspect of the trip. Something I noticed over in Tokyo is that players are not salty and simply enjoy the game. This means that they enjoy the matches no matter who's playing or what character is playing. They cheer and hype up the matches in between rounds whether a person is winning or losing. You'll never hear them say they hate xyz character or they don't want to watch a match because characters they don't like are fighting. They have a team spirit over there that players here lack. If players here lose, they get mad, stop playing, talk badly about the game, etc.. Where over in Japan if you beat someone, they are eager to keep playing and learning, figuring out ways to adapt. They provide a challenge. Now that's not to say players here don't do that but a majority do not and will not.

NEO0MJ

Read the whole thing it's great.

I would but it's probbably NSFW :B

just kidding. WIll take a look at it later.

You know how EG won TI5?

They picked top tiers.

USA top players need to get their shit together for SFV. None of this unique snowflake bull shit. Kbrad was on point in the latest Excellent Adventures... he was like "I thought you guys were smart... can't you tell these characters are just better than others?"

I do agree that they should always play to win, but simply piking the top tier isn't enough, especially when you face other strong players who have a higher degree of mastery over the character and the character doesn't work with your playstyle. Do any of EG even play with a significantly weak character in SF IV? I know Rufus isn't as strong as he used to be but wasn't he still playable last I checked?

Rufus is the worst character in USF4!

Need to pick top tiers like Guile, Chun Li, Yang, Juri and Abel

Sorry, I hear the guy in my avatar give this excuse all the time and I think it's wrong.

If SF5 is handled right it will be a game-changer here. I fully expect a 20-25% market share for the PC version, though some of that will be XB1 owners who aren't going to buy a PS4 for one game.

As for retention- the more shitty players you have (and my shitty I mean truly shitty) - they can inflate win rates enough to keep people playing longer.

masher vs masher is usually a 5-5 matchup.
The best thing about the last generation's fighting games was the inclusion of online modes in the vast majority of fighters. I hope the defining trait of 8th generation releases is crossplay between consoles and PC. It would help grow the online audience big time and improve the level of competition for online fighting in general. Oh, all fighters also need rollback netcode, but ASW probably couldn't be paid to use it, so I'll settle for multi-fight lobbies for all fighters.

Dogura won the qualifier and he's now on the Pro Alliance team for the Guilty Gear 10v10.

As for SFV, the community needs to step up their game and get the casuals interested into the Capcom Pro Tour. Capcom will have some sort of advertising of the CPT in game which will help, but the community still needs to make the audience feel the hype and get interested in the personalities that make up tournament play. It's impossible to retain everyone, but we just need enough to distance itself from this year's numbers.

This also goes to you Daigo. You need to lose some weight breh. That muscle shit was unnecessary and you now look fat, which was what you didn't want.

K3OPZwZ.jpg

alstein

The big question is how do you get stream monsters/pot monsters involved in the e-sports side of things? I've been asking that for years, and I don't know if there's a good answer.

I feel like events like CEO and Combo Breaker/UFGT have good ideas, but it's more of an anime con feel than say The International.

I know from the MLG event I went to, the vibe is really different.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, it is pretty common throughout the world. There isn't conclusive evidence, but some studies have suggested that it lowers post-partum depression and improves the woman's immune system and general health. It kind of makes sense, since it represents a massive loss of nutrients in your body.

Benefits of eating placentas are unproven. It's pretty much a placebo placenta.

I wouldn't eat it mostly because the placenta, while serving as a nutrient distribution device for the baby, also acts as a filter between the baby and the mother. I don't like eating filters.

The big question is how do you get stream monsters/pot monsters involved in the e-sports side of things? I've been asking that for years, and I don't know if there's a good answer.

I feel like events like CEO and Combo Breaker/UFGT have good ideas, but it's more of an anime con feel than say The International.

I know from the MLG event I went to, the vibe is really different.

I used to watch MLG a lot and even went to MLG Anaheim in 2009.

The presentation of the fighting game tournaments needs to get better, without the long cutoffs of MLG, and with the same personality exuding from the fgc over what MLG does. There's not much to do at MLG events either. They just have a bunch of booths from their sponsors and setups that are only used for the tournament. Players are kept away from the audience for the most part with the pro player lounge. There's also a lot of empty space.

Give us puzzle fighter setups!

Benefits of eating placentas are unproven. It's pretty much a placebo placenta.

I wouldn't eat it mostly because the placenta, while serving as a nutrient distribution device for the baby, also acts as a filter between the baby and the mother. I don't like eating filters.
I completely agree that the benefits are questionable. However, I am the sort of person that likes to learn things by trying them. If I always went by nutritional studies, I wouldn't have discovered that carbohydrates have such deleterious effects on my health so early. ;-)

It's difficult to gauge the effects in a clinical trial since the proposed benefits of placentophagy are hard to measure in a clinical trial: increased energy, and improved lactation rate. Some women have said that they became anxious due to being overly energized when they took their pills, and had to stop to feel normal again. Assuming that these effects are true, it would seem that the pills aren't for every women. I just know that my wife will be trying them, and we'll see how it goes.

Jintor

went to akihabara. played a little dengenki. got my ass whooped my some dude playing emi from maou-sama. wasn't fair, he actually knew what he was doing! :< :< :<

he ate 600 yen :<

i gotta learn to play this game

Tizoc

I'm gonna ask something, something I should've discussed years ago but never bothered to ask-
WTF were they thinking with Projectiles in SFA3?
Why do they do shit damage if launched from Max. range?

Kumubou

As for SFV, the community needs to step up their game and get the casuals interested into the Capcom Pro Tour. Capcom will have some sort of advertising of the CPT in game which will help, but the community still needs to make the audience feel the hype and get interested in the personalities that make up tournament play. It's impossible to retain everyone, but we just need enough to distance itself from this year's numbers.
I think trying to go completely grassroots to grow to such a size is not going to work. Even if it did, it would end up getting swallowed up by the related businesses due to the logistics and financial commitment required. Capcom (and Sony now) would need to be behind the push and they really need to buy into it. That's the only way that kind of growth is going to be even remotely sustainable.

There's no cure for a bad attitude.

We're doomed.
Uh... welp?

WarRock

You know how EG won TI5?

They picked top tiers.

And then someone picks a low tier character that the top players have no match up experience and blow them up.

Remember Justin losing free to Gamerbee back then?

I'm gonna ask something, something I should've discussed years ago but never bothered to ask-
Hitting two fireball supers with Akuma from max range is hilarious though. (Full screen ground version, jump forward and air version.)

And then someone picks a low tier character that the top players have no match up experience and blow them up.

Picking a top tier for the purpose of competing and learning what the hell it is that other characters actually do aren't mutually exclusive. Not doing the latter is fucking up but that doesn't mean you're wrong in doing the former.

Marz

Tiers won't matter too much at high level play for a couple years.

Pick whoever you want and let the meta game flesh out. Balance changes will probably also be more frequent this time around so "picking a top tier" isn't as simple as you put it.

It's also nearly impossible.

Tripon

Hitting two fireball supers with Akuma from max range is hilarious though. (Full screen ground version, jump forward and air version.)
Players misunderstanding the actual tier list isn't uncommon in the first couple years of the game.

Its partly why everyone refuses to do one for Ultra.

Marz

Yea it's better to just pick a main and master that character and maybe just play several characters on the side for matchups.

Seems the way to go in Street Fighter you look at players like Bonchan, Daigo, Tokido, Poongko, Louffy, Dieminion, PR Balrog, Snake Eyez etc. Most of the better players have been playing their characters for a very long time and learned to adapt to nerfs/buffs and new game play mechanics.

GooeyHeat

Let's be real, "WTF were they thinking" describes basically every design decision in Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Tizoc

Let's be real, "WTF were they thinking" describes basically every design decision in Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Someone should make a thread to discuss Alpha 3 cuz there were some criticisms about it back when it was talked about in previous forums I posted in before GAF :p

Marz

Man this NA doesn't pick top tier excuse is getting so tiring.

Yea it's also not even a relevant excuse because that isn't how Street Fighter 4 works.

Tons of character variety. Pick a top tier means everyone play Evil Ryu? Then you need to learn how to play a shoto, which is a completely different approach from playing a grappler or a footsie character.

Just pick a strong character? What is considered strong in the game....we've seen Gen, Sagat, Rose, Akuma, Fei, Ken, Yun, Elena, Rolento and plenty other characters do very well in the last year.

ShinMaruku

There's no cure for a bad attitude.

We're doomed.

We just need more Nuckle Dus and less reliance on the old guard. Bring up people who are outside of the old cliques to bring up their level and you can change the culture that way. Outside of like 5 people I have written off the current top crop of players talking about new blood.

Tripon

What was the reason why Chronus Max is banned at most tournaments? VS fighting is using it to convert 360 sticks to PS4.

Seyavesh

What was the reason why Chronus Max is banned at most tournaments? VS fighting is using it to convert 360 sticks to PS4.
two main ones:
it causes massive input lag on the other player's controllers alongside other weirdness- it'll actually add ghost inputs if it's an older model
the hardware draws a ton of power from console, prone to frying xboxes or usb ports for that reason

i can confirm both are true too b/c i've had to deal with it in multiple tournaments both as someone helping run that shit and a competitor

BadWolf

two main ones:
it causes massive input lag on the other player's controllers alongside other weirdness- it'll actually add ghost inputs if it's an older model
the hardware draws a ton of power from console, prone to frying xboxes or usb ports for that reason

i can confirm both are true too b/c i've had to deal with it in multiple tournaments both as someone helping run that shit and a competitor

Whoa, glad I didn't get one.

Malice215

More seriously, my 2c on these threads moving forward:

- Malice215 has been doing a better job keeping an up to date reference for upcoming events than pretty much any other resource I can find on the internet, including our FGW OPs (which have been largely bumming off of his calendar for a while now since it appears even major FGC sites gives less of a fuck about this sort of thing than FGW does). His FGC Calendar is pretty much anything people need if they need to refer to, even if they won't and will ask via a post anyways

I really appreciate hearing from you, James Chen, and others on how much the calendar has been a help after the shit that I got from people for making one.

shaowebb

You know how EG won TI5?

They picked top tiers.

Top Tiering makes the ride easier in various scenarios in a match to survive or get going but it doesn't guarantee a win :/
Just look at EVO. We had team armor win and things like Frutsy's Modok/Cap America team fly pretty far.

Top Bottom