• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

TGMIII

Not gonna be easy at all but hopefully they do the right things.

Also, I think it's super important that they try and get as many people from China on board for SFV PC which I'm sure we will see happen because they know how huge of a market it is.

And how do you get a country notorious for piracy into your game when there's a barrier of entry in the fact that you have to pay for it? There would need to be a F2P version like DOA5/KI. I expect them to release a version like this eventually but I'm sure that'll be long after they've collected as much as they can with the retail version.

You all remember that there were MOBAs before DOTA2 and LOL right?

Aeon of strife the true OG.

Tides of Blood and DOTA1?
HON, Demigod were the two I was thinking of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_online_battle_arena Hmm I'd expected a bit more organization from the wiki article.

Mobas grew at a faster rate than fighters despite being a younger genre.
There is less variety in the genre when you look at the version that are popular. It's just a very good formula that was easily accessible to a large audience.

rookiejet

How can they all be viable if only one lets you win? There has been some research done on the psychology in play, might be interesting to read (doubt that will change your mind either).

I don't know why you think that the influencing factor of a mind game can only be visual or immediate (mind games also exist outside of video games ya know?!) There's no such condition in the description, it's that actions (with tangible effects) have been made with the intent to influence or manipulate.

Seyavesh

starcraft had UMS like that anyways
like, original starcraft

the earliest big one i remember is mercenaries though that was a 4way battle rather than 1v1

brood war had a really popular one that was extremely similar to dota (w/ barracks and shit and all) with 2 lanes going horizontally rather than 3 diagonally

Dahbomb

How big is dota 2's online playerbase? Compared to online street fighter 4? No contest, right?
I don't know how many people actually own DOTA 2 and play the game regularly but it's around 1 million concurrent online users on a daily basis.

The only way fighters going to see moba $$$ is if Blizzard creates one with a warcraft theme.
There already is one, it's called Heroes of the Storm. And it has crossover from Starcraft and Diablo universe as well. Blizzard is pushing that MOBA hard.

You all remember that there were MOBAs before DOTA2 and LOL right?
The only MOBA that was before LOL and DOTA 2 was DOTA 1 which is an exact replica of DOTA 2.

Technically DOTA 1 wasn't even a standalone game, it was a mod. After that came LoL and HoN (Heroes of Newerth). HoN started off as a pure DOTA 1 rip off where as LoL had some fundamental changes.

Thing is that LoL was the first proper MOBA after DOTA 1 and it capitalized on the fact that it had a stable, dedicated match making system. DOTA 1 didn't have a match making system at all, it was just a mess really and it was easy to get hacked plus other stuff. LoL really pushed the online infrastructure of MOBAs and that's why it got a jump start on the MOBA world and such a huge following.

DOTA 2 basically played catch up with LoL in terms of user base. A lot of people who used to play DOTA went to LoL and never came back while some tinkered with LoL and then went to DOTA 2 (and even a smaller fraction went to HoN in between then went on to DOTA 2).

Basically it's not about who did it first but who did it first correctly and that was LoL.

If you want to talk about the first actual MOBA even including custom maps then Starcraft 1: Brood Wars had a custom game called Aion of Strife that was in fact the first MOBA. But yeah.. who the fuck cares right?

Dota is older than both of those by quite a bit, HoN started off as a remake of DOTA
Dota was way before HON lol
Yes but HON was an actual thing that people charged money for.

Basically it's not about who did it first but who did it first correctly and that was LoL.

If you want to talk about the first actual MOBA even including custom maps then Starcraft 1: Brood Wars had a custom game called Aion of Strife that was in fact the first MOBA. But yeah.. who the fuck cares right?
Kind of the point I wanted to make. "eSports" games didn't get super popular overnight or without failures along the way.

mbpm1

brood war had a really popular one that was extremely similar to dota (w/ barracks and shit and all) with 2 lanes going horizontally rather than 3 diagonally
Aeon of strife I believe.

Sc had the best custom maps. Rpgs, storylines, horror maps, tower defense...

Custom StarCraft maps were my shit as a kid

How can they all be viable if only one lets you win? There has been some research done on the psychology in play, might be interesting to read (doubt that will change your mind either).

I don't know why you think that the influencing factor of a mind game can only be visual or immediate (mind games also exist outside of video games ya know?!) There's no such condition in the description, it's that actions (with tangible effects) have been made with the intent to influence or manipulate.
That study is about "typical" behavior in humans. It's like a study on how to beat a flowchart Ken.

Intent is NOT a measurable phenomenon. That is why you can't use it in mindgame defintion.

Think of it this way. If we are playing Marvel, and I go random on my TAC direction 100% of the time with perfect success, am I mindgaming you?

The Light

I agree, GB should do it for sure.

Should also stay out of community. It is hard enough to hold back the anime as it is. Once a thread goes there it is all over.

This is true. Community is like the wild west. For all we know this thread could become more anime than pharrell's it girl video if it was in community.

There already is one, it's called Heroes of the Storm. And it has crossover from Starcraft and Diablo universe as well. Blizzard is pushing that MOBA hard.
How is Heroes of The Storm working out for Blizzard? Is it printing money like hearthstone?

rookiejet

That study is about "typical" behavior in humans. It's like a study on how to beat a flowchart Ken.

Intent is NOT a measurable phenomenon. That is why you can't use it in mindgame defintion.

It falsifies your notion that rps is a simple coin flip and that there's no real manipulation going on.

I said "actions with tangible results".

It falsifies your notion that rps is a simple coin flip and that there's no real manipulation going on.

I said "actions with tangible results".
The study is about how your typical dumb person behaves. Not about manipulation.

Edit: I don't disagree that RPS involves reads. I don't think it involves mindgames.

Dahbomb

How is Heroes of The Storm working out for Blizzard? Is it printing money like hearthstone?
No way close to Hearthstone but it's doing alright.

Hearthstone is presumably making Blizzard a lot of money though.

Thing with HOTS is that everything in that game is over priced as fuck. Compared to DOTA 2 it's a joke, even compared to LoL it's a bit absurd. But it will grow over time if Blizzard keeps pushing it which they seem keen on doing.

Hearthstone on the other hand has a good model for a card game. Like compare it to something like MTG Online it's no comparison. Then again HS has way less of a card pool so it's way easier to get the cards you want.

Dahbomb

We should have a FGW DOTA 2 Inhouse one day.

I am now Mike Ross tier in that game now though... haven't played for a couple of patches now and the game is very different from the last time I played it.

vocab

I am now Mike Ross tier in that game now though... haven't played for a couple of patches now and the game is very different from the last time I played it.

Sure I'll play. I have no idea how to play :)

alstein

Fighters gotta get on the PC scene and not treat it like an afterthought

If SF5 is handled right it will be a game-changer here. I fully expect a 20-25% market share for the PC version, though some of that will be XB1 owners who aren't going to buy a PS4 for one game.

As for retention- the more shitty players you have (and my shitty I mean truly shitty) - they can inflate win rates enough to keep people playing longer.

masher vs masher is usually a 5-5 matchup.

Negaduck

I'd be down for this. Watching TI made me want to play again.

Dahbomb

What are the moba equivalents of marvel, street fighter, and anime?
DOTA is very obviously Street Fighter.

Closest to Marvel would be HoN I guess but HoN is basically a DOTA clone and Marvel isn't really a SF clone to be honest. Maybe Infinite Crisis? At least Marvel was played competitively for quite a while before losing support.

LoL is closer to Smash I guess.

There isn't really an anime equivalent, there aren't really many notable MOBAs with very clear anime designs and influences surprisingly enough.

I bet Dahbomb can beat Daigo at Hearthstone
It's a heavily RNG dependent game, even Mike Ross could beat me at that game.

Dahbomb

What are the results like for the competitive scene for that game?
Like you would expect.

It's a matter of consistency really and that's how the top players are ranked (so the better players tend to do better over the long run).

But you can put the best 32 players in the world in a bracket and you really wouldn't know who would actually win the tournament. You have random newcomers winning all the time. It's similar to poker... better player will usually win but the chance of upset is pretty high.

To put it into perspective... the best player in the world currently only has a 65% win rate in the game. You compare it to the #1 player win rates in the fighting games and it's a HUGE difference.

Also I would like to point out that Hearthstone has different formats as well (conquest, last man standing). Certain players are favored vs others in certain conquest. And there are more ruleset changes among all the different tournaments which is bound to produce further variance. You can be the best player in the world at a certain deck but that wouldn't matter in some formats where players can let's say ban a certain class or the format requires that you win with 3 different classes.

NEO0MJ

To put it into perspective... the best player in the world currently only has a 65% win rate in the game. You compare it to the #1 player win rates in the fighting games and it's a HUGE difference.

Still better than my Fighting Game record ;-;

Seriously though I'm pretty surprised by that. I thought luck wasn't that big a decider in that game.

Negaduck

Its fun to play. It doesn't really feel imbalanced unless you just have a really inexperienced team.

It let's me play as a siege tank so of course I had to play it a bit.

Edit:

Smite is anime.

Dahbomb

I would call hots marvel I think.

More team based too with objectives.
Marvel is way more complicated than HOTS. HOTS is baby's first MOBA and Marvel is the type of fighter you play after you kinda have the grasp of a standard fighter like Street Fighter and you want something more.

There are hardly any MOBAs out there that are actually more complicated than DOTA. Most MOBAs actually try to be more beginner friendly than that game.

Is HOTS good
It's fun but I would much rather invest my time in DOTA 2 if I actually had the time to play it.

I thought luck wasn't that big a decider in that game.
Luck has a huge part in deciding who is going to win a game of Hearthstone, even more so than other cards games. It's nicknamed RNGstone for a reason.

Basically every time there's a Hearthstone match some commentator will be like "aay yoo EEEEEEE SPORTS" during a ridiculous RNG swing moment which is sarcastically saying how illegitimate this game is as a skill based competitive game. Most commonly seen during Knife Juggler + Implosion combo.

kirblar

Is HOTS good
Yes- but it's still figuring itself out in a lot of ways, so there's a lot of massive changes each patch. It's also heavily team-based, so having people to play with is huge.

In TCGs, you cap out at about a ~70% winrate even if you're godlike. When you manage to go nuts in an event, you're either running hot, or you've managed to bust the format with a smart deck choice. (And can be both.)

ShinMaruku

Great article by Kwiggles (Sonicfox's older brother) about the difference in play from Japan to the US in DOA. It's eerie how it mirros some of what the NA sf players said
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-doa-festival-experience.5883/

Here is the part I want to highlight:
Aside from the top players over there, even the average players that I watched throughout the day displayed better mastery over the game than a lot of players here in terms of fundamentals. From fuzzy guarding, to slow escaping the fastest I've ever seen-even slow escaping setups I thought were guaranteed, to downright utilizing the triangle system and sidestepping. Everything was fascinating to see how differently they played.

Now this isn't meant to insult anyone but since I have played and seen both sides now I honestly believe the average players over there would give players here a beating. The characters that we don't see often over here I saw being played at high level over in Tokyo. Not just mashing buttons or spamming but calculated, showing they studied their character in depth and have broken them down, knowing the ins and outs. That's something that I don't see much back here.

This is probably my favorite aspect of the trip. Something I noticed over in Tokyo is that players are not salty and simply enjoy the game. This means that they enjoy the matches no matter who's playing or what character is playing. They cheer and hype up the matches in between rounds whether a person is winning or losing. You'll never hear them say they hate xyz character or they don't want to watch a match because characters they don't like are fighting. They have a team spirit over there that players here lack. If players here lose, they get mad, stop playing, talk badly about the game, etc.. Where over in Japan if you beat someone, they are eager to keep playing and learning, figuring out ways to adapt. They provide a challenge. Now that's not to say players here don't do that but a majority do not and will not.
Read the whole thing it's great.

Top Bottom