• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

petghost

Banned
Rising Thunder is kinda' decent. It's better than everything else that's on PC right now but that's not really saying very much (IMHO, and yes, I fucking HATE the SF 4 series with a passion and already pre-ordered SF 5).

Number one thing I hate about it is the separate bar for FADC/Breakers. There's no downside whatsoever to abusing this bar. It's not like you lose part of your super like in MK or SF 4. All it leads to is just taking risks because you can just Breaker or just SRK on wakeup and FADC backwards to safety. Worse yet, you cannot see the opponents Kinetic bar in order to predict it and bait it out.

I hope this one particular mechanic is refined.

It's weird that you mention that you dislike sf4 cuz from what I seen I think that game is what's most directly comparable to rising thunder

ElTopo

Banned
It's weird that you mention that you dislike sf4 cuz from what I seen I think that game is what's most directly comparable to rising thunder

Notice that I said decent. I didn't say it was great, now did I? And I use the word "decent" in the sense that the combos are easy and the netcode is very good. I don't mind the character designs but the moveset's need to be more diversified (which will obviously happen as it moves out of Alpha and has moves you can pay to own).

We also need to see the opponent's Kinetic bar and special bar. I think that's a given.

The good news is that there is a good chance the game will be improved upon.

Tripon

Well their are 3 more European ranking events so I think they'll be fine. But I have this weird feeling that no matter where they go, Luffy will be there and they'll have to go through him to win it. The next two are in the same weekend so even if Ryan stays in the UK for the local tournament while Val goes to Norway Luffy will still find a way to be at both events.
I think Ryan Hart lives in Germany now.

I think fireballs are gonna be kinda whack in 5. Basically every char has something that negates them.
The negating moves take enough time that they aren't punishments, though. Nash can Sonic Boom, and recovers fast enough to his Bison with an aerial if he decides to counter it. Pure fireballs in the neutral are rarely a great SF strategy, anyway. You use them to cover an approach, to lock out an option, or you poke cancel into one. Those uses will all still be there.

Ryu could really use a fake Hadoken, though.

Perro

Where are you from? I'm from Lima and we've always had lag. From GGPO to vanilla SF to rising thunder, we're "kinda" screwed.
I'm from Lima too. There's always been lag, but it's still playable in GGPO. Skullgirls is good too, I can even play with europeans.
My problem is in Ultra, even Chileans have red bars lol and no peruvian flag doesn't help to find other people from here.

Seyavesh

Do u know if TitanOne has the same issues?

sorry dude, no idea.
if that's the one made by the original creator of the cronusmax he's claimed that it fixes up all the problems because they were due to an error in his design that the holding company refused to correct but frankly given my experience w/ em i find it pretty hard to believe that

also fireballs being bad is pretty shitty for competitors and basically nothing for casual players so it's overall a pretty big loss. i've never seen anything arguing for bad fireballs that isn't some scrubby nonsense
it's one of the things that worries me about sf5 since good fireballs + fast walkspeed are basically core components for an interesting SF to me

rookiejet

I'm having so much fun with Rising Thunder, I've played for most of today lol. I think it could use simple gg emote thing like Hearthstone's after a match's end. I've had so many matches where I was like "good game, that was sooo good" but no way to tell that other player that.

Oh, I haven't forgotten. I don't think any of those things conflict with one another.

1) I don't like fake Hadokens, and I would rather it not be in the game.
2) I think Ryu might need fake Hadokens, otherwise he might not be effective.

Make sense? I'm not contradicting myself, I'm considering the game from two different perspectives: first, what I would find most enjoyable from a mechanics standpoint, and second, what Ryu might need to be an effective character in the game.

I remember what I post on here, and I am good at being consistent in my views.

karst is so contrarian he will disagree with himself :p
Taking positions that are in opposition to yourself is part of having a balanced worldview. Those who fail to do this risk being fanatical in their beliefs.

notworksafe

ta9gqj2.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I want to watch something entertaining not something that would bore me to tears. Needs more Watson story time.

Beckx

If you don't like it now I don't think you would start to like after more episodes

it's fucking genius tho

what is that phenomena where you feel uncomfortable watching someone do something embarrassing? I get that so bad watching that show that I can't enjoy it.

petghost

Banned
If you don't like one ep of curb your enthusiasm I don't think you'll like the others cuz they are all essentially the same. So good tho.

Top Bottom