• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

sikvod00

Banned
Get trolled, bitch!
Damn, Mike x Peter trash talk is the best talk. Now I gotta go watch the old episodes of EE with Combo.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

mEVNp12.png

Malice215

If Gamerbee manages to not qualify this time, it would be an absolute miracle. There's enough events in Asia alone to get him in.

Qualifying through the Asian events is the toughest route, but he should do well enough in those events to get enough points if he decided to compete.

Top 8 being 3/5 is for any CPT event is great.

With so much money on the line, 3/5 will produce a more consistent result. 2/3 up until grand finals was wack.

shaowebb

So outside of Marvel , SNK, or Tatsunoko do you feel there are any other licenses capcom may eventually end up doing for the VS series? Its been awhile and I'm just wondering that if the VS series style gameplay comes back from Capcom if it may do so in the form of a new vs license. Tatsunoko approached Capcom was how TvC ended up becoming a thing. It became a vs thing after Niitsuma brought up that it would fit it.

Do you think anyone would contact capcom for a fighter? Perhaps Sony?

A lot of money for SF4 players this year. Masters Series already handed out a good amount of money. Between that, Red Bull, and Topanga, there is about $50k up for grabs apart from the Capcom Pro Tour. There's got to at least be $700k up for grabs in total if you count money from sony, the money all the open tournaments will have and the invitational tournaments that are like Topanga.

pixelish

A lot of money for SF4 players this year. Masters Series already handed out a good amount of money. Between that, Red Bull, and Topanga, there is about $50k up for grabs apart from the Capcom Pro Tour. There's got to at least be $700k up for grabs in total if you count money from sony, the money all the open tournaments will have and the invitational tournaments that are like Topanga.

great way to end an era.

all in all, i'm quite content with the structure of this year's tour but i still believe it would be nice if they have a better payout spread at evo. it's still too top heavy.

great way to end an era.

all in all, i'm quite content with the structure of this year's tour but i still believe it would be nice if they have a better payout spread at evo. it's still too top heavy.

My thinking is that the amount of top players competing at these events will mean the money will be distributed to a lot of players.

For example, in Japan nobody is guaranteed a win. There are so many killers that it's too hard to predict who will end up in grand finals. Last month Momochi ended up getting 4th in a qualifier to Cannes with Shiro coming in 3rd, Nishikin in 2nd, and Tonpy winning. A lot of top players did not even enter that tournament. At TGS Daigo did not even make top 8. Same with Taito Station. Momochi never reached top 4 in both of those tournaments.

So although the money is top heavy, I think a lot of people will end up getting money.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
My thinking is that the amount of top players competing at these events will mean the money will be distributed to a lot of players.

For example, in Japan nobody is guaranteed a win. There are so many killers that it's too hard to predict who will end up in grand finals. Last month Momochi ended up getting 4th in a qualifier to Cannes with Shiro coming in 3rd, Nishikin in 2nd, and Tonpy winning. A lot of top players did not even enter that tournament. At TGS Daigo did not even make top 8. Same with Taito Station. Momochi never reached top 4 in both of those tournaments.

So although the money is top heavy, I think a lot of people will end up getting money.

I don't know, Daigo may release finally unleash the satsu no hadou.

WarRock

So outside of Marvel , SNK, or Tatsunoko do you feel there are any other licenses capcom may eventually end up doing for the VS series? Its been awhile and I'm just wondering that if the VS series style gameplay comes back from Capcom if it may do so in the form of a new vs license. Tatsunoko approached Capcom was how TvC ended up becoming a thing. It became a vs thing after Niitsuma brought up that it would fit it.

Capcom made Marvel games but not Shonen Jump games. Explain that!

Azure J

Smash 4 is fun

Yeah, I played my first long set in it yesterday night and after finding a character that seems to suit me better than my main guys (Luigi), I'm starting to have a bit more fun than before.

Guess the break I took from it was needed in order for me to get more comfortable. Still need some match up experience with Yoshi though. How more people aren't playing this character despite how amazing he is mystifies me. He pokes through every mid level platform in the game free from the stage floor, has multiple shield eating attacks, is mostly safe on shield, jab-upsmash is a thing, he has ridiculous air presence (seriously, he's supposed to be Yoshi, not Melee Fox with Jigglypuff hang time lol), and his autopilots are actually amazing. (Down throw - upair is just as prominent here as in the Diddy matchup; he can force some pretty fucked up guessing games between uair and dair depending on how you attempt to return to the stage while above him; dash attack sets up really nasty things on hit)

Shit I might pick him up and I hate piggy backing off my brother's character choices. :lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That was for SFV exclusivity...

Advertising this is like promoting people to get an X360 version of SF4 to participate in those events

Building up excitement for SF4 could lead to SF4 ps4 version sells.

SF getting bigger potentially leads to more SF5 sells.

Not really hard to understand why.

Deps

T7 wait is gonna suck, at least Xrd is sick and MKX looks promising. Can't wait to see what they add to the console version.

Sayad

SquareEnix have the characters, and might be much easier to work with for licensing since they're another gaming company. Though Kingdom Hearts characters might be the biggest obstacle. SE have what it takes for a VS game, monsters, super humanoids, ordinary men and super villians. Outside the US, their characters are more loved than Marvel's within the gaming culture, ie, FF all stars sold on the PSP about as much or more than MvC3 sold on 2 consoles.

Nyoro SF

Yeah, I played my first long set in it yesterday night and after finding a character that seems to suit me better than my main guys (Luigi), I'm starting to have a bit more fun than before.

I guess you could say you are
really
feeling
it

Sorry couldn't resist, I'll see myself out the door now

There's too many Capcom franchises that they should be working on reviving rather than making another crossover. Street Fighter x Tekken was such a disaster... would probably be hard to get the greenlight on something like that again.

If anything they should be contacting other companies to make fighters for them... not the other way around. Arc did that Sengoku Basara X fighting game for them... why not hire them out to do a Darkstalkers using the Xrd graphics engine. Or get Cyberconnect2 to do an over the top Rival Schools game.

WarRock

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152534546]
jojos_sega_dreamcast4wouk.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I meant a company wide game, like MSH or the VS games =)

But yeah, how come they made a couple of JJBA titles (and a lot of Marvel ones) but not other famous titles from manga and anime in general? There's... so much stuff.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
That was for SFV exclusivity...

Advertising this is like promoting people to get an X360 version of SF4 to participate in those events

For people to win it by playing SF4? I think they got the exclusivity by paying a bit more than that and offering help from their studios.

Azure J

Random thought: That "stupid character poses/animations" thread makes me wonder if I'm just old/a part of a dying generation of gaming since everything posted in there is just hilarious/gives a little more personality to things whether intentional or not.

Seeing a lot of fighting game animations catch some heat in there too. I was totally surprised someone could hate the [Captain Falcon Intensifies] win animation he has in Melee. :lol

Rhapsody

Banned
Random thought: That "stupid character poses/animations" thread makes me wonder if I'm just old/a part of a dying generation of gaming since everything posted in there is just hilarious/gives a little more personality to things whether intentional or not.

Seeing a lot of fighting game animations catch some heat in there too. I was totally surprised someone could hate the [Captain Falcon Intensifies] win animation he has in Melee. :lol

Makes me sad that a lot of fighters now are slow at getting to the animations for the beginning and end of the round now.

Don't get to see a lot of them now since everyone's going to be quick to skip.

Azure J

Makes me sad that a lot of fighters now are slow at getting to the animations for the beginning and end of the round now.

Don't get to see a lot of them now since everyone's going to be quick to skip.

I probably wouldn't be half as salty losing to Leo if his godlike win animations kicked in a bit sooner so I could get the decompression chuckle out and keep at it. :lol

xCobalt

That really sucks. They should be given extra points for compensation because it's extremely hard to win over there in the first place.

I don't think they should be given extra points. It might get a little messy now that so many countries are part of the CPT. I can imagine we'll see stuff like "This place should get less money/points because it has a weaker scene".

shaowebb

There's too many Capcom franchises that they should be working on reviving rather than making another crossover. Street Fighter x Tekken was such a disaster... would probably be hard to get the greenlight on something like that again.

If anything they should be contacting other companies to make fighters for them... not the other way around. Arc did that Sengoku Basara X fighting game for them... why not hire them out to do a Darkstalkers using the Xrd graphics engine. Or get Cyberconnect2 to do an over the top Rival Schools game.

Agreed that they should be working on their own Capcom fighters more, but in the case of the VS series its been something that on occassion got a new entry because a company approached capcom wanting them to make a fighter using their product as source material.

I'm just looking at capcom's bedfellows and wondering if any hold potential to actually approach them in that light. We know Square Enix is showing warm signs of getting in bed with Capcom and testing their stuff with them in some form. We also know Sony is willing to go so far as to pay to develop a title for exclusivity...It makes me curious if the next VS will be Capcom vs Sony, Capcom vs Squenix or some other company they lay with often.

Top Bottom