• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

AAK

Personally my gut reaction is rather negative about the changes in throws because now grabs are completely obsolete at high level play for a good portion of the cast. It feels like a restriction where the Tekken I love comes from the fact that every character has every tool the game possess available to them. The only difference is how you express yourself with those tools.

But these changes might be what Tekken needed
or it could cripple it further
. time will tell.

- sorry you're right, increased.

- Other way around, grapplers are the only ones who still have throws where you need to react by watching the hands. It's the rest of the cast that don't have hand specific command throws that have a huge hole in their game now

I supposed it does make things more like 2D games where certain characters have a complete mechanic other members of the cast don't. But I guess Namco truly are desperate to get new blood into the game.
Even as two newbies in T6, my BIL and I never had a problem teching throws. Obviously it is too early to know for certain, but those two changes seem pretty brutal to throws as an offensive technique.

Good to hear grapplers are still intact, but it seems odd to split everyone. Players will still need to learn the old method of teching, but now just for a few characters.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Now announcing NYGX - the 10th New York Gathering VF tournament.
Trailer here.

This year we're marking the special occasion by including every arcade-exclusive VF game in the weekend. There'll be tournies for VF3 vanilla, VF4FT and VF5R.

Dahbomb

Pretty sure no one has said that EVO is the only one who money hats. Everyone money hats, it's the circle of life.

I am just saying that one of the reasons that people thought that USF4 wasn't going to be on PS4 was because of the whole stick issue which was a legitimate issue. The only way USF4 was going to be on PS4 for EVO was if Sony had something to say about it.

Oh shit.

VxG too?
yDsH42n.gif

Always hated the throw break system in Tekken. I found it insanely hard to learn to react. Could never do it and felt a huge part of the system was tied to a reaction/execution wall.

MrWizard

Evo Co-Founder
Pretty sure no one has said that EVO is the only one who money hats. Everyone money hats, it's the circle of life.

I am just saying that one of the reasons that people thought that USF4 wasn't going to be on PS4 was because of the whole stick issue which was a legitimate issue. The only way USF4 was going to be on PS4 for EVO was if Sony had something to say about it.

The decision to put Ultra on PS4 was not ours.

AAK

Sorry I missed this post:
All those years of learning the animations of 2+4 vs 1+3 throws down the fucking gutter.

That's pretty huge though. Are special throws like Heihachi's f,f + 1 + 2 have to still be broken with two buttons or is that one button too?

Yeah, double arm grabs still need a 1+2 break, it's just the 1+3, 2+4 ones that have a universal punch break.

Even as two newbies in T6, my BIL and I never had a problem teching throws. Obviously it is too early to know for certain, but those two changes seem pretty brutal to throws as an offensive technique.

Good to hear grapplers are still intact, but it seems odd to split everyone. Players will still need to learn the old method of teching, but now just for a few characters.

The changes to the Okizeme announced at the first location test are way more brutal. Characters like Lili completely depended on the okizeme because of how well she could take command during the opponents wakeup situation... now it just feels like she has nothing. Of course it must be siad this makes things 10x easier for newer players since you can now get up off the ground and not lose 40% health for guessing wrong.

Wow... Namco is doing everything in its power to make Tekken 7 newbie friendly. After taking out like 75% of the okizeme game, they're now making throw breaks easier.

1. You no longer have to pay attention to which hand your opponent used to grab you with to break it. You just need to hit any punch button.

2. The throw break window in general has been reduced.

Along with the fact that they've now included a backwalk so you don't need to learn how to backdash cancel to traverse at a moderate speed... this is by huge magnitudes the easiest Tekken game to pick up.

My initial reaction is that I am okay with this. This buffs grapplers in a big way, but I can understand how it will mess with the rest of the cast.

Maybe give everybody a command throw that requires a specific break?

Dahbomb

The shitstorm that would ensue if the PS4 version has some unforeseen issues would be hilarious.

My initial reaction is that I am okay with this. This buffs grapplers in a big way, but I can understand how it will mess with the rest of the cast.

Maybe give everybody a command throw that requires a specific break?
Don't most characters have a command throw by now anyway? In any case it's not that grapplers are buffed it's that everyone else get nerfed.

AAK

Always hated the throw break system in Tekken. I found it insanely hard to learn to react. Could never do it and felt a huge part of the system was tied to a reaction/execution wall.

It's the exact same thing as MK9, except in Tekken you can react to the direction rather than guess.

It's the exact same thing as MK9, except in Tekken you can react to the direction rather than guess.

Well yeah and that's the big difference. Since I could never get the reactions down to tech them at a high level of play I had a gigantic handicap against top level competition. No matter how much I could out play them in other situations that reaction barrier was a problem.

That charges/syncs it, it doesn't actually make it wired.

With both the DS3 and DS4 when you connect them wired they act as a wired controller (case in point they wouldn't work wired on PCs otherwise). The tournament issue is while plugged in they also sync to the console so when you unplug them at the end of the match if you accidentally hit the home button you're going to cause trouble for the next guys.

Dahbomb

Throws are generally horrible in Tekken. They are slow, duckable, have poor reach and are whiff punishable. This just makes them even more so. Namco has been making them progressively worse over time.

Rhapsody

Banned
Having time for Xrd only once a week or so kinda sucks :/

Taking one step back after whatever progress I make since I get rusty.

At the end of the day, big things are happening because of Sony and the fact that we got to the point where big things can happen? That is in a large part due to Madcatz.

So I'm ok with buying a PS4 stick.

The best bit? Raffle monster has to be coming back.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wow... Namco is doing everything in its power to make Tekken 7 newbie friendly. After taking out like 75% of the okizeme game, they're now making throw breaks easier.

1. You no longer have to pay attention to which hand your opponent used to grab you with to break it. You just need to hit any punch button.

Along with the fact that they've now included a backwalk so you don't need to learn how to backdash cancel to traverse at a moderate speed... this is by huge magnitudes the easiest Tekken game to pick up.

Sounds a lot like Marvel, I'm loving it lol

capturej3utt.png

Meanwhile no tournament in Australia (expected) so I can't say the PS4 stick thing is a problem for me.

You Americans with your 7 tournaments can just suck it up :p

Silence Pam.

I like how everyone thinks Evo is the only one...

Nah.

The shitstorm that would ensue if the PS4 version has some unforeseen issues would be hilarious.

EVO Grand Finals is under way, the match is 2-2 in Loser's Finals and its getting down to the wire and...

*PS Menu pops up*

The salt would be ridiculous and there would be a stoning of the person who did it.

FSLink

Banned
With both the DS3 and DS4 when you connect them wired they act as a wired controller (case in point they wouldn't work wired on PCs otherwise). The tournament issue is while plugged in they also sync to the console so when you unplug them at the end of the match if you accidentally hit the home button you're going to cause trouble for the next guys.

You sure about the DS4? I thought it still communicates to the PS4 via bluetooth while plugged in and does not use the cable for data as well (PC does of course, but that's due to custom drivers), but to be honest I haven't been keeping up with latest firmware updates for the PS4 since I do not have one.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

What was Tekken's Oki game before that? Every time I've tried to pick up TTT2, I run into the same problem. There's no good way to get up.

Backroll = death. Sideroll = Sometimes death Attacking = stupid

It's like the only option is lie there until they get bored and whiff.

I-hate-u

Massive salt.

Seriously, its a huge gamble that can jeopardize the whole tournament. The game needs to be released considerably earlier before EVO for players to figure out their groove with the port.

This is huge pressure on Capcom to get it right.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What if US4 on PS4 turns out to be bad port?

Isn't Sony's third party studio working on it? They churn out some quality stuff so I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, how bad can you screw up a game that's already finished? Isn't it just using the same engine and mapping buttons?

Anne

:(

Although local friends have stopped playing fighters lately. So I guess I'm getting on that boat too.

Lame :< locally my only options for ASW/FB stuff are Xrd and maybe UNiEL. UNiEL had the skill level off hard and people start dropping like flies, and I don't really like Xrd like that. Some people will play Melty with me but it's pretty low level atm, I'm the only one who actually practices it here. I wanna play BB and P4U but it's actually just dead as hell skill wise, so I've turned to making content and streaming to keep me interested.

Isn't Sony's third party studio working on it? They churn out some quality stuff so I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, how bad can you screw up a game that's already finished? Isn't it just using the same engine and mapping buttons?

About as bad as they screwed up the PC version probably and that was just moving away from gfwl. For that matter you have the PS3 version which has been worked on for years and still isn't right.

Basically with or without Sony, Capcom are still more than capable of making a complete mess of it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
About as bad as they screwed up the PC version probably and that was just moving away from gfwl. For that matter you have the PS3 version which has been worked on for years and still isn't right.

Basically with or without Sony, Capcom are still more than capable of making a complete mess of it.

Wow, none of you have faith in Capcom delivering a great product. Another normal week for fighting games weekly.

I-hate-u

Wow, none of you have faith in Capcom delivering a great product. Another normal week for fighting games weekly.

The PS3 versions of SF4 and Marvel 3 are still not up to par with the 360 version despite the multiple iterations of the titles. There is a reason why every major tournament last year dropped the PS3 versions of the Capcom games my friend.

xCobalt

You sure about the DS4? I thought it still communicates to the PS4 via bluetooth while plugged in and does not use the cable for data as well (PC does of course, but that's due to custom drivers), but to be honest I haven't been keeping up with latest firmware updates for the PS4 since I do not have one.

You're correct. The DS4 connects to the PS4 through Bluetooth only.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The PS3 versions of SF4 and Marvel 3 are still not up to par with the 360 version despite the multiple iterations of the titles. There is a reason why every major tournament last year dropped the PS3 versions of the Capcom games my friend.

But its the PS4, it's suppose to be easier to deal with! ;_;

Wouldn't be the first time this exact thing happened.

It happened one time for Marvel, Spooky was about to rip a new butthole for the poor bastard that probably accidentally pressed it.

AAK

What was Tekken's Oki game before that? Every time I've tried to pick up TTT2, I run into the same problem. There's no good way to get up.

I'm going to simplify it considerably and just speak about the basics:

Against a backroll if someone was good they can dash deep enough and time a clean launcher guaranteed on you since there is a frame during the getup where you are completely vulnerable and the launcher will land cleanly on you. Usually, people will just do a move that can interact with the hitbox of the backroll that can float you into a juggle state and the move has a small enough recovery to maintain the juggle for a complete combo.

People at a competent level can react to the backroll and hence you rarely see it in high level play.

Then then there is a quick neutral getup which is extremely unlikely anyone can ever react to so people try doing a hard read to hit you in between the frames of you on the floor and the frame you reach a neutral state and can block. If you do get hit it's the same thing as the backroll and you are relaunched... but the window for getting hit is extremely small.

You can sideroll, this option will usually get you out of any situation where people are fishing for ways to relaunch you assuming you'd do a quick neutral getup. If someone knows you're going to sideroll they're going to do their most damaging sweep or low move on your. If you instead chose to do a quick get up you'd do it fast enough to recover, block, and punish. Unfortunately there are some characters like Steve that have extremely quick d/f+1's that can relaunch you from a quick getup and recover so fast that that they have enough time to advance and pressure you further had you done a sideroll.

There are also the low and mid attacks you can do from wakeup. But they are not like VF or DOA where they have 0 invincibility and you can be counterhit and launched for doing them had someone read you doing it. Also, they're unsafe so you can be punished too for it. On the flipside if they hit in certain situation the reward is pretty great.

I'm not counting around 6-7 other options since they are specific depending on the location and type of attack done on you to leave you grounded. And I'm also ignoring the various ways you could be grounded such as Feet Up Head away, Feet up Head towards, Feet down Head towards, etc. since each of those situations has it's own caveats as well.

It does seem like a lot but I love the level of control you have over your character and the plethora of options at your disposal. It's something I really enjoy about fighting games.

Anyways, Tekken 7 is changing things where if you backroll whatever situation you're in, you're pretty much OK. HUGE departure from all the mindgames that were previously at play.

CSX

You have to pay attention to how your opponent got you on the ground and guess if he/she wants to go for oki. If it was a combo or attack that ends up with your body lying close to the opponent, the player will probably try to catch you with oki setups. If they are going for a pickup(ie another juggle and why you should not backroll) , you need to stay on the ground and let it whiff. Then you can counter with getup kick and shift the momentum towards you. Of course you can just stay on the ground and let the opponent realize you have no interest in taking a risk and eat a stomp. If your opponent hestisates at all in doing oki, then the time he/she wasted basically opens up all possibilities for you to defend, counter and get off the ground (stand up ducking to block low and launch punish, sudden low getup kick for your juggle, etc)

EDIT : ignore the bullshit i wrote and read AAK's post above lol

DEATH™

Tech Sideroll = fast and autoguards the whole way, beware of techtraps (running kicks and unblockables). Doesn't work when spiked
Tech Backroll = fast and gives you space, leaves you vulnerable on recovery. Beware of long ranged moves (running attacks and capital punishments)
Teck Kip Up = Short Ranged Attack, good against aggressive players. Can either be floated or whiffed punished
Stand Up = You just stand up. You have the option to recover standing or crouching. Regular Blocking rules apply. one of the safest options in the game, underutilized by new players.
Backroll = gives you space, vurnerable at starting animation.
Sideroll = can evade stomps and linear grounded attacks. Weak to groundthrows. Good when utilized right.
Getup Kicks = good when opponent isn't sticking to you. both variants punishable on block and bad on whiff. Not as evasive.
Toe Kick = short ranged kick that is fast and totally evasive. Bad on block and whiff.

Most of the unused getup options new players have that is totally good when used right are standing up and toe kick.

Sayad

Safest way to get up is to eat a ground poke/stomp and regular stand(no rolling) while they're recovering. Otherwise you'd have to rely on reads.

Top Bottom