• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

NEO0MJ

DEATH™;152557454 said:
Stand Up = You just stand up. You have the option to recover standing or crouching. Regular Blocking rules apply. one of the safest options in the game, underutilized by new players.

Yeah, when I didn't take Tekken serious and was a beginner in always used to backroll. It was only later when I just stood up.

I'm so happy about the Capcom Pro Tour premier events being equally distributed on the globe. 4 to each big part of the world and some outsiders that deserve it. They did a great job. I'm know it's stupid but as someone who worked hard as a TO and with TOs to get great tournaments to raise EU players level, I feel really, really glad to see Europe not being treated as the fifth wheel this year.

Just got home from work, I always miss out on all the good stuff :( , oh well. Anyways I'm pretty excited about all the announcements. I love the money is being split, it's almost exactly what I had imagine it to be actually. And they also distributed the ranking and premiere events pretty evenly throughout the 3 strongest regions which is a huge improvement from last year. I'm glad they were still able to reach some regions that tend to get ignored like South America and the Middle East.

I'm glad they already have every set in stone instead of adding events as they go along. Their seems to be a few events every month so we're getting something almost every few weeks so that's nice. I see that NCR and Hypespotting are on the same weekend. That will be very interesting to see where the Asians will go if many travel to those 2 events.

As for Momochi's auto invite, honestly I don't like it. I'd prefer he have to work for it like he did last year. I don't think of him as a Championship boxer defending his title. I think of him as more like a tennis player who played in a year long circuit, became the champ at the end but will have to start from scratch like everybody else in the new year. What's done is done though but I don't think this is something they should do again for next year.

Horseress

Well, as a beginner in Tekken and someone that quit TTT2 because I couldn't break throws for my life, I love everything I'm hearing about T7! If even TTT2 brought new players to the community, imagine this new, more newcomer friendly game! This can be huge

BTW

Wow... Namco is doing everything in its power to make Tekken 7 newbie friendly. After taking out like 75% of the okizeme game, they're now making throw breaks easier.

What has changed? I probably missed it

Wow... Namco is doing everything in its power to make Tekken 7 newbie friendly. After taking out like 75% of the okizeme game, they're now making throw breaks easier.

1. You no longer have to pay attention to which hand your opponent used to grab you with to break it. You just need to hit any punch button.

2. The throw break window in general has been reduced.

Along with the fact that they've now included a backwalk so you don't need to learn how to backdash cancel to traverse at a moderate speed... this is by huge magnitudes the easiest Tekken game to pick up.

All sounds pretty smart to me.

I like Tekken and Tag 2 but I think regular throws and wakeup mindgames aren't hype or visually appealing to the common people. They are interesting and the mind games are good once you know what is going but they will always lose to a flashy combo or a good offensive read with a big Super at the end. Plus how many times I heard "STOP ABUSING THROWS" or "KICKING ME ON THE GROUND IS UNFAIR"?

Kumubou

The stick situation with USF4 is going to be annoying for a number of players, but people need to get paid in the end so it's either deal with it or go play MOBAs or something. It just kind of stinks, especially since the transition with the PS3 was a lot easier in that regard (and I know a few players locally still play on PS2 sticks to this day... why ditch what works?).

I'll be honest -- I don't think I like the new throw break system in T7 (pending more information, of course). I understand why they changed it, but the new system seems like it would make throws trivially easy to break, unless other things changed. Did they speed up throw startup? Is there some situation where you can be locked out of the throw break (like throw reject miss in the BlazBlue games, or CH throws in most 2D fighters)? If the only change to throws was to make most breaks easier, they may as well just take them out for most characters.

Congrats, now you only need to... finish the game. D: Hopefully sometime before 20XX.

Horseress

Throws now in TTT2 are a 3-way mix-up (1/2/1+2). In T7 they'll be a 2-way (1 and 2/1+2). So it dumbs down the throw mechanic but not that much. Not even counting characters who have right/left hand specific throws

『Inaba Resident』;152554547 said:
Sony is helping with the port, iirc.
And I heard the Ultra pc version was outsourced to some European company but idk if thats true or not.

All the PC versions of SF4 have been ported by QLOC- they're a Polish studio that does the majority of Capcom's PC ports.

aBvw2Do.png

Posted this in the Off Topic thread but I thought you guys might appreciate what my 5,600 tweets boil down to.

PLAY RUFUS

CSX

All attacks that land when your opponent is on the ground or is in the process of getting off the ground count as a clean hit. In other words no more fishing for scrubs backrolling all the time to juggle them to infinity

AAK

I'll repost what I said earlier in the thread:

I'm going to simplify it considerably and just speak about the basics:

Against a backroll if someone was good they can dash deep enough and time a clean launcher guaranteed on you since there is a frame during the getup where you are completely vulnerable and the launcher will land cleanly on you. Usually, people will just do a move that can interact with the hitbox of the backroll that can float you into a juggle state and the move has a small enough recovery to maintain the juggle for a complete combo.

People at a competent level can react to the backroll and hence you rarely see it in high level play.

Then then there is a quick neutral getup which is extremely unlikely anyone can ever react to so people try doing a hard read to hit you in between the frames of you on the floor and the frame you reach a neutral state and can block. If you do get hit it's the same thing as the backroll and you are relaunched... but the window for getting hit is extremely small.

You can sideroll, this option will usually get you out of any situation where people are fishing for ways to relaunch you assuming you'd do a quick neutral getup. If someone knows you're going to sideroll they're going to do their most damaging sweep or low move on your. If you instead chose to do a quick get up you'd do it fast enough to recover, block, and punish. Unfortunately there are some characters like Steve that have extremely quick d/f+1's that can relaunch you from a quick getup and recover so fast that that they have enough time to advance and pressure you further had you done a sideroll.

There are also the low and mid attacks you can do from wakeup. But they are not like VF or DOA where they have 0 invincibility and you can be counterhit and launched for doing them had someone read you doing it. Also, they're unsafe so you can be punished too for it. On the flipside if they hit in certain situation the reward is pretty great.

I'm not counting around 6-7 other options since they are specific depending on the location and type of attack done on you to leave you grounded. And I'm also ignoring the various ways you could be grounded such as Feet Up Head away, Feet up Head towards, Feet down Head towards, etc. since each of those situations has it's own caveats as well.

It does seem like a lot but I love the level of control you have over your character and the plethora of options at your disposal. It's something I really enjoy about fighting games.

Anyways, Tekken 7 is changing things where if you backroll whatever situation you're in, you're pretty much OK. HUGE departure from all the mindgames that were previously at play.

Backrolling or doing a quick getup will result in the same damage scenario as a sideroll. Hence you never have to think about floating an enemy again or trying to timing a perfect launcher at the instant they recovered from a backroll. Only way to maximize damage off okizeme is doing a low for a bit of damage on the ground. And 90% of the time, backrolling will be the optimal solution according to the people who've played it.

CurlyW

Meanwhile no tournament in Australia (expected) so I can't say the PS4 stick thing is a problem for me.

You Americans with your 7 tournaments can just suck it up :p

Did Momochi qualify for winning Capcom Cup 2014 or did he qualify for winning Shadowloo Showdown 6?

Kumubou

Making back rolls that good seems a bit silly, although you are giving up position and putting yourself that much closer to a wall. Although I wonder how much that matters, given how strong wall carry typically is in Tekken. It ultimately depends on a number of other things, i suspect.

It sounds really dumb on endless stages, but it seems like most of those have been cut. Are there any available at launch?

kirblar

Didn't Ono say SFV was going to be exclusive for the lifespan of the game for PS4 and PC and they wouldn't be doing super and ultra editions?
"Not doing Super/Ultra" = roster additions will be expansions, not fully new titles like SSF4/UMVC3 were. That model is bad and they know it.

I like Tekken and Tag 2 but I think regular throws and wakeup mindgames aren't hype or visually appealing to the common people. They are interesting and the mind games are good once you know what is going but they will always lose to a flashy combo or a good offensive read with a big Super at the end. Plus how many times I heard "STOP ABUSING THROWS" or "KICKING ME ON THE GROUND IS UNFAIR"?
Hour 1 of my T6 experience was holding back after a knockdown and getting hit over and over. LOL

Horseress

Backrolling or doing a quick getup will result in the same damage scenario as a sideroll. Hence you never have to think about floating an enemy again or trying to timing a perfect launcher at the instant they recovered from a backroll. Only way to maximize damage off okizeme is doing a low for a bit of damage on the ground. And 90% of the time, backrolling will be the optimal solution according to the people who've played it.

All attacks that land when your opponent is on the ground or is in the process of getting off the ground count as a clean hit. In other words no more fishing for scrubs backrolling all the time to juggle them to infinity

Got it, thanks guys. And I like that change too
yes I'm that scrub who gets juggled to infinity, so fuck that

King is going to suck I guess. Both SW and giant swing are a 2 break?

Character specific throws will remain the same. Only the 1+3/2+4 throws will be affected

Kalamari

It shall be known as the great PS4 arcade stick drought.

With such an disparity between supply and demand, it really invites the competition to enter the arcade stick realm. Time for the chinese knockoffs to reign supreme.

It shall be known as the great PS4 arcade stick drought.

With such an disparity between supply and demand, it really invites the competition to enter the arcade stick realm. Time for the chinese knockoffs to reign supreme.
chinese knockoffs tend to be great for PCB extraction

hitsugi

Well, there is some time to improve the stick situation before EVO.. but at the rate things are going there will probably be a lot of players without PS4 sticks of their own.

I kind of wish MikeZ had never wrote the code that made PS3 sticks work on his game on PS4.. I would prefer to just figure "well that's just how it is" rather than knowing there's an open solution no company feels like touching (which puts us in a situation where we have to go spend $220 on a stick).

Anyone from EU here have Xrd sign? If so what's the online like connectivity wise?

It's okay. Hard to get into matches but once you do it's usually quite good. More or less comparable to other Arcsys games. If you were okay with the online in those you should be okay with it in Xrd.

gutabo

Dammit, just tried Xrd online, and regular high/low mixups are unblockables for me now, even the dust ones, I have to guess everytime :( Dem old man reactions...

WarRock

Throws now in TTT2 are a 3-way mix-up (1/2/1+2). In T7 they'll be a 2-way (1 and 2/1+2). So it dumbs down the throw mechanic but not that much. Not even counting characters who have right/left hand specific throws
Like Soul Calibur, then? (A throws and B throws).

Now announcing NYGX - the 10th New York Gathering VF tournament.
Trailer here.

This year we're marking the special occasion by including every arcade-exclusive VF game in the weekend. There'll be tournies for VF3 vanilla, VF4FT and VF5R.
O=

DEATH™;152557454 said:
Tech Sideroll = fast and autoguards the whole way, beware of techtraps (running kicks and unblockables). Doesn't work when spiked
Tech Backroll = fast and gives you space, leaves you vulnerable on recovery. Beware of long ranged moves (running attacks and capital punishments)
Teck Kip Up = Short Ranged Attack, good against aggressive players. Can either be floated or whiffed punished
Stand Up = You just stand up. You have the option to recover standing or crouching. Regular Blocking rules apply. one of the safest options in the game, underutilized by new players.
Backroll = gives you space, vurnerable at starting animation.
Sideroll = can evade stomps and linear grounded attacks. Weak to groundthrows. Good when utilized right.
Getup Kicks = good when opponent isn't sticking to you. both variants punishable on block and bad on whiff. Not as evasive.
Toe Kick = short ranged kick that is fast and totally evasive. Bad on block and whiff.

Most of the unused getup options new players have that is totally good when used right are standing up and toe kick.
And you guys were joking about GG having too many stuff to memorize.

You had my vote =)

They should be aiming for Tekken 3, not SF4. Tekken 3 was the best selling non-smash fighting game ever.

They shouldn't be aiming for any past Tekken since that's what they've been doing for years.

Basically most of the changes for Tekken 7 are good, I just hate that the throw break window is big. Should be smaller so regular throws aren't useless.

CSX

And you guys were joking about GG having too many stuff to memorize.

thankfully its easy to memorize since it still follows the 4 button limb system. Only thing that abstracts is that any form of siderolling involves pressing 1.

My face was making all kinds of expressions when I was going through the GG tutorial lol

.la1n

They should be aiming for Tekken 3, not SF4. Tekken 3 was the best selling non-smash fighting game ever.

If they are willing to make an effort in the optional content for console releases this time that would be nice. Tekken used to be known for all the additional things you could do outside of just fighting, much like Mortal Kombat is now. It would also be pretty great if they decide to release said console port within a reasonable time frame.

Top Bottom