• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

hitsugi

Dammit, just tried Xrd online, and regular high/low mixups are unblockables for me now, even the dust ones, I have to guess everytime :( Dem old man reactions...

You can sort of blame online for this? Well a little bit. I know I get away with absolute murder sometimes due to so-so connections.

If they are willing to make an effort in the optional content for console releases this time that would be nice. Tekken used to be known for all the additional things you could do outside of just fighting, much like Mortal Kombat is now. It would also be pretty great if they decide to release said console port within a reasonable time frame.

This will make or break T7 for sure. Regardless of how well the game plays.

Needlecrash

Time to get my stick fully PS4 modded for EVO now. The PS360+ still has a PS4 timeout and I can't afford to have the stick cut out on me every 8 minutes.

SmokeMaxX

The problem with Tekken now is that it's too hard. Tekken 3 was casual friendly because people didn't play competitively and could just mash both kick buttons against their non-blocking friends. The atmosphere is a bit different now especially with online and local tournaments. I really want to get into Tekken but it's too time-consuming. If I have the choice to learn a new fighting game, why would I pick the one that requires me to learn 12 frame punishes, 13 frame punishes, 14 frame punishes, etc. plus I have to learn every character's frame data plus I have to use a separate program just to be able to learn how to tech throws? Tekken nowadays is brutal for beginners which is great for the mid-level players who no longer "lose to scrubs" but sucks for getting good turnouts for tournaments.

Well, there is some time to improve the stick situation before EVO.. but at the rate things are going there will probably be a lot of players without PS4 sticks of their own.

I kind of wish MikeZ had never wrote the code that made PS3 sticks work on his game on PS4.. I would prefer to just figure "well that's just how it is" rather than knowing there's an open solution no company feels like touching (which puts us in a situation where we have to go spend $220 on a stick).

Hopefully Hori's lower priced options put the pressure on Madcatz.

If they are willing to make an effort in the optional content for console releases this time that would be nice. Tekken used to be known for all the additional things you could do outside of just fighting, much like Mortal Kombat is now. It would also be pretty great if they decide to release said console port within a reasonable time frame.

Tekken 3-style Tekken with actual art direction instead of a random hodgepodge would be rad. Not like you have to go to expensive tech for good looks.

The problem with Tekken now is that it's too hard. Tekken 3 was casual friendly because people didn't play competitively and could just mash both kick buttons against their non-blocking friends. The atmosphere is a bit different now especially with online and local tournaments. I really want to get into Tekken but it's too time-consuming. If I have the choice to learn a new fighting game, why would I pick the one that requires me to learn 12 frame punishes, 13 frame punishes, 14 frame punishes, etc. plus I have to learn every character's frame data plus I have to use a separate program just to be able to learn how to tech throws? Tekken nowadays is brutal for beginners which is great for the mid-level players who no longer "lose to scrubs" but sucks for getting good turnouts for tournaments.

I think we get it at this point dude. Some of that stuff isn't disappearing due to the fact that its a 3D fighter. A lot of the entry level stuff like Oki and throw breaking should make things a lil bit easier to handle especially for mid level but you're still gonna have to put in work(lol). That's how it is with any FG but definitely true with most 3D Fighters.

Mid level players still lose to scrubs in Tekken because of the lack of information. Its not that hardcore. What makes Tekken hard is the mid-level where its very hard to find progression in.

People were really good at Tekken 3 also. There's nothing stopping you from mashing kick buttons with your friends in any sequel.

Azure J

Dammit, just tried Xrd online, and regular high/low mixups are unblockables for me now, even the dust ones, I have to guess everytime :( Dem old man reactions...

I know that feel. Funnily enough, my reactions were getting to the "decent" level at best in GG after a long grind, but I popped in Project M yesterday and I'm still putting the fear of God into people with traps into tipper reactions. :lol

mbpm1

My face was making all kinds of expressions when I was going through the GG tutorial lol

image.php

I-hate-u

USF4 on PS4 this year
SFV on PS4 next year

If Capcom is smart, PS4 USF4 will be arcade perfect or virtually perfect and will use the FREE driver Lab Zero made for PS3 sticks to work on PS4.

I have 0 faith.

The onus is definitely on Capcom. Please do the right thing.

Dillon!

you read that in Arnie's voice

Not sure what the difference is between the Kai and Hayabusa.

Kai has a Hayabusa lever. Hayabusa is the name of Hori's high end stick lever.
As far as Kai vs V5, the difference is in button and lever position and spacing. Hori sticks with "V" in the naming convention are oriented in the Vewlix style.

Oh my, there's people online in Under Night! People with decent connections that i can play against! What bliss~

I dunno when it comes out in the US, but in EU i guess it just doesn't have a street date since it's in stores already. Was at my local gameshop yesterday explaining the game to some dudes. I think they were pretty taken by it. Doing my part~

ACE 1991

I really want to get into a competitive fighting game, but not really sure which one to sink my teeth into. I used to play a fair amount of SFIV back in the day (was never very good), but it seems like this isn't a good choice given that this title is on the way out. I have a PS4 and a high end PC. The fighting game community seems super cool and because I live in the Philly area there seems like there are a lot of local events within driving distance of me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I really want to get into a competitive fighting game, but not really sure which one to sink my teeth into. I used to play a fair amount of SFIV back in the day (was never very good), but it seems like this isn't a good choice given that this title is on the way out. I have a PS4 and a high end PC. The fighting game community seems super cool and because I live in the Philly area there seems like there are a lot of local events within driving distance of me.
philly has a good scene. whatever you like is what you should play. don't worry about SFIV going away lol

ACE 1991

philly has a good scene. whatever you like is what you should play. don't worry about SFIV going away lol

Thanks for the reply. It seems like the scene is a lot smaller now than it was 3 or 4 years ago when I used to semi-casually follow the scene (by all means, correct me if I'm wrong). Even the GAF thread used to be way more active than it is now. My roommate has a Wii U and the new Smash, but I don't want to monopolize his console haha

hitsugi

Seems like you can preorder the Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for $150 on Amazon. Works on both ps4 and ps3. Not sure what the difference is between the Kai and Hayabusa.

Beyond the button spacing (which is enough for me to import a different stick altogether), the Kai also has a touchpad for PS4.

If you're okay with the extra space between the stick and buttons, the Kai is a great "value" right now while the stick market feels like Vanilla SF4 days.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Sayad

I got it from GMG because for $45 it seemed like a good deal, and it looked like my laptop could handle it. Kinda regret it now though because it turns out the team handling the port is High Voltage games, who are just so bad.
On the last MK stream, it seemed like they were playing the PC version. They were using a 360 pads and no way the game would look like that on a 360. Though it could have been a PS4/X1 dev kit.

Beckx

You could always preorder.

Someone recommended this but I can't remember who.

Well eventually Ultra SFIV is coming to PS4. Ultra is probably the healthiest of all the last-gen fighting games.

NEO0MJ

On the last MK stream, it seemed like they were playing the PC version. They were using a 360 pads and no way the game would look like that on a 360. Though it could have been a PS4/X1 div kit.

Hmmm. One of the problems MK9 had on PC was crashing for no reason so even if they were using high-end PCs so if there wasn't any issue during the stream (how long was it?) that might be a good sign. I just hope it's well optimized.

ACE 1991

Well eventually Ultra SFIV is coming to PS4. Ultra is probably the healthiest of all the last-gen fighting games.

Got it, thanks, I'm thinking about giving Smash Wii U a serious go as well, though I do realize they're totally different. The smash scene seems pretty huge at the moment.

Malice215

On the last MK stream, it seemed like they were playing the PC version. They were using a 360 pads and no way the game would look like that on a 360. Though it could have been a PS4/X1 div kit.

It was an Xbone Devkit because someone sent them a message through XBL while the console was online and the notification appeared.

Are these true?

And aren't they a good thing to make the game more accessible to new players?

It's a good thing, but existing players will complain about it.

ACE 1991

It seems the only way for me to start playing this game is the PC version... Is this not recommended? Also, would I be able to use my DS4 with the PC version?

Sayad

It seems the only way for me to start playing this game is the PC version... Is this not recommended? Also, would I be able to use my DS4 with the PC version?
The team making the PC port have a bad history at making ports, though we know nothing about the PC version yet. I'd say it's better to wait for hands on impressions. DS4 should work fine with it.

NEO0MJ

The team making the PC port have a bad history at making ports, though we know nothing about the PC version yet. I'd say it's better to wait for hands on impressions. DS4 should work fine with it.

Other than a problem after a patch that was later fixed, I never had any trouble with the PC port of SF IV. Some people have had connection problems, though.

MH4U has kept me from coming back to fighting games.

I don't see it relinquishing its hold anytime soon.

Maybe when the Xrd 1.1 patch comes to console.

Oh man, I just got to HR2 in the guild and lvl 3 in the village.

Also, I am glad about the Tekkan changes. I hope I can actually get more into it than my very brief time in TTT2.

Beckx

The PC version is good. I haven't kept up with the state of the netcode, others can weigh in on that.

DS4s can work on PC, you should be able to find the thread with a search.

Top Bottom