• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

Tripon

How do you unlock the custom moves quick?

Have a 3DS, either unlock all the custom moves, or buy a Play Action Recode to unlock them all (about $20-30). Then have that 3DS send preset custom sets to any Wii U. Here more here.

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-initial-release.381395/

Even if custom moves were all unlocked from the beginning, you'd still likely have presets customs sets because of the time needed to pick a fresh set. Preloading sets was always the way to go.

Once you preload the sets, the actual choosing of the sets only take seconds.

Shouta

There was a 4-seater at the LVH, last year's EVO hotel. There was a 2-seater at the Wynn, where I stayed after.

WH mentioned more places too:

Might not be there this year since they rotate new games pretty often, heh.

Also, Smash 4 custom moves are so much fun, having all these variations helps a lot. Giving Ike a shockwave to edge guard AI is pretty funny. Charizard's Fireball is hilarious too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
IMO, whether or not Smug should go depends on how much school he'll miss, if there are any critically important assignments due that he cannot work around, and how much time he can spend enjoying France itself outside of the tournament.

Speaking of the big picture, school > games. That's pretty clear cut. However, this is a trip to France we're talking about. It's not like he'd be going to Milwaukee, and it's not like this means he's dropping out of school.

One of the things that many Americans lack nowadays is a first had account of other countries and first hand experience with other cultures and ways of life. Experiencing that is probably more valuable an education than a few days of schooling.

I'm pretty sure he could work out a schedule with his professors to make up any work missed during his absence. Most professors would be understanding enough to facilitate a student's cultural education.

As long as he can work it out with his professors, he should totally go.

hitsugi

IMO, whether or not Smug should go depends on how much school he'll miss, if there are any critically important assignments due that he cannot work around, and how much time he can spend enjoying France itself outside of the tournament.

Speaking of the big picture, school > games. That's pretty clear cut. However, this is a trip to France we're talking about. It's not like he'd be going to Milwaukee, and it's not like this means he's dropping out of school.

One of the things that many Americans lack nowadays is a first had account of other countries and first hand experience with other cultures and ways of life. Experiencing that is probably more valuable an education than a few days of schooling.

I'm pretty sure he could work out a schedule with his professors to make up any work missed during his absence. Most professors would be understanding enough to facilitate a student's cultural education.

As long as he can work it out with his professors, he should totally go.

I agree that many Americans are severely lacking in those respects these days. If I had to guess, the hustle and bustle of people struggling to compete with full time work + full time school + other life responsibilities leaves little for other joys in life, and it's becoming a standard practice here (unless you're wealthy or take out massive student loans).

There are too many hypotheticals with regards to Smug going or not going to France. Seeing it as games vs. school is completely wrong as the only reason anyone should be encouraging it would be for the experience seeing another country can provide.

At the end of the day, though, he did make his choice..

I wonder how sucessful in life the people telling smug to go are.

What about the people telling him not to go? How successful are they? Why do people care either way?

Beckx

Deciding to stay for school seems like an entirely rationale decision, weird to see people second guess it. At best you can say "well, I'd go."

Besides he can get better french food in New York anyway.

Shouta

If he doesn't have important assignments or a tests that weekend, there's no reason not to go to France for a few days or or however long it is. Unless the school he's ging to has required attendance or something.

JeTmAn81

Have a 3DS, either unlock all the custom moves, or buy a Play Action Recode to unlock them all (about $20-30). Then have that 3DS send preset custom sets to any Wii U. Here more here.

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-initial-release.381395/

Even if custom moves were all unlocked from the beginning, you'd still likely have presets customs sets because of the time needed to pick a fresh set. Preloading sets was always the way to go.

Once you preload the sets, the actual choosing of the sets only take seconds.

Is it possible to download a save file to get that stuff unlocked on the 3DS version (the only one I have)?

Deciding to stay for school seems like an entirely rationale decision, weird to see people second guess it. At best you can say "well, I'd go."

Besides he can get better french food in New York anyway.

Its not a simple blanket school vs games thing. People have explained why they would go pretty well. It's not a choice of dropping out or going to France for street fighter.

Its about our different views of how we value the balance of things in our lives and what peoples different takes are on it and experiences we give up for what is deemed more important at the time.

Jumping immediately to a zero sum game argument is a weird way to go about this.

That's what people are doing, no? School over games? I'm not saying that. I think its more nuanced. Its a deeper thing as well. Like how people in america don't take all their vacation days and put work above all else and regret it when they are older.

Also, I think its weird that you think its weird that taking a free trip to France and miss a couple days of school (no exams or anything) is something people would do.

Its like that thread about when parents took their kids out of school for vacation week, cause that's the only time they could. If kids doing well, and arrangements are made for make up work, go for it. Go have fun and memories with your family.

Leo was absurdly priced and came out too conveniently close to the game's launch.

...I paid for him though -_-

Leo is the worst kind of DLC character. "Do you labwork to even fight him properly, btw the character is complete dogshit if you've done said labwork, please buy for $8, thx."

if france is anything like the time I went to montreal, then I'd expect two random drunk guys pissing in the hallway of my hotel instead of outside

Beckx

Also, I think its weird that you think its weird that taking a free trip to France and miss a couple days of school (no exams or anything) is something people would do.

? Where is this coming from?

It's a value judgement. Putting the value of something you are paying for, as an investment in your future, (school) over the harder to quantify value of a weekend tournament trip to France, is very rational. Not exciting, but rational. There's nothing to criticize there. So what we see on this page is that the criticism ends up moving on to "Americans need to see the world" or "Americans work too hard." Those are extremely hard to quantify and I question whether a quick trip to play in a tournament really provides the former.

Put differently, you can construct scenarios where it's not bad to go, but it's harder to construct scenarios where it's bad to stay. Why second guess the guy's decision at all?

gutabo

If he doesn't have important assignments or a tests that weekend, there's no reason not to go to France for a few days or or however long it is. Unless the school he's going to has required attendance or something.

This is my guess. And that maybe if he goes he won't be able to miss any more classes and if he has a real emergency afterwards then he'll be fucked.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is my guess. And that maybe if he goes he won't be able to miss any more classes and if he has a real emergency afterwards then he'll be fucked.

That's a possibility, but I think most teachers would give him a pass on this, seeing as how it's a really good educational opportunity. Especially if he's taking any history or sociology classes.

I'd question their value as educators if they couldn't find a way to integrate a student's overseas trip into part of their curriculum.

4r5

this dizzy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGH9Y2Rbr9Q&feature=youtu.be&t=39m14s

I miss Testament's GraveDigger loops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGH9Y2Rbr9Q&feature=youtu.be&t=52m34s

image.php

Just played some matches on the Beta of KOF2K2UM on steam with two players online. Under 100ms ping with my connection (60/5mbps) there was absolutly no lag. I had the game having some freezes sometimes but it happened offline too.

Very surprised by this port.

Just played some matches on the Beta of KOF2K2UM on steam with two players online. Under 100ms ping with my connection (60/5mbps) there was absolutly no lag. I had the game having some freezes sometimes but it happened offline too.

98FE is consistently playable under 300ish ping depending on your input delay setting, and under 150 can feel lagless.

If 02UM has that same setting then there's no reason to believe this netcode will not be as good.

Code Mystics has done quality work with 98FE going as far as adding input display into training mode.

Wait wat there's a beta?

Clockw0rk

I don't know man. School and work will ALWAYS be there, no matter what you do. A free trip to France for a weekend seems like a great opportunity.

Wait, is Smug in college, or highschool?

college. The issue I have is when start missing way too much to go to tournies or else. Also I'm assuming midterms are happening right now, so missing like 5 or so days can be an issue especially if he's gotta take a test when he comes back or before he goes

Lemstar

It's a value judgement. Putting the value of something you are paying for, as an investment in your future, (school) over the harder to quantify value of a weekend tournament trip to France, is very rational. Not exciting, but rational.
The value of a couple of days of undergrad is pretty low for most people.

mbpm1

Smug is 20, he should be in college. Ultimately it is up to him. Maybe he has other reasons besides school he wants to stay as well.

Top Bottom