• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

Sayah

Yeah, partitioning out complete character content to be sold as DLC is the ultimate scumbag practice of this generation of fighting games.

Unfortunately it's insanely profitable, so there's not much I can do about it other than not buy it. I'm sure Capcom made loads of money off the SFxT character DLC they locked away thanks to Sony paying the big bucks to give the Vita an upper edge. It's also easy for them as a company because there are fans that actually defend this practice for them by making terrible excuses.

Not very happy that Sony has stepped in for Capcom like this for SFV. I don't care about prize bonuses or bigger tournament pots, but I do care about how Sony will manipulate Capcom's business practices to suit their hardware and PS+ agenda. I wouldn't be surprised to see some pretty scummy stuff showing itself when more details about how SFV will be released soon such as PS4 SFV getting a huge release date or content advantage over PC for instance.

I think Capcom's pretty scummy on its own even if there was no Sony involvement. lol.

Nyoro SF

Seriously?

You have been paying attention to Capcom and games like sfxt right?

Read my second paragraph.
And yes, I know Capcom can be perfectly evil by themselves. I don't want scummy Sony addendums to the game though.

I think Capcom's pretty scummy on its own even if there was no Sony involvement. lol.

See Sayah knows. But is it bad if I don't want them to be any more corrupt than they already are? lol

Sayad

See Sayah knows. But is it bad if I don't want them to be any more corrupt than they already are? lol
Is that even possible? Without going f2p(which unlock a whole set of new scams), what have Capcom not done before? They seem to have tried it all already, day 1 DLC, preorder content, season pass, DLCs that give players advantage in a competitive game, paid consumables...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Aris is playing the Order and he got stuck in a pillar. Has no choice but to reset. The game is the most beautiful game on the market but it's a shame it has so many issues.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
People watching the stream for the first time and they literally think he's the actor that played Hagrid. LOL.

CPS2

I won't pay for individual character DLC anymore. Don't have a problem with a set of characters like say 5-10 characters releasing for a reasonable price, a reasonable timeframe after the game launches. The amount ASW charges for individual characters is a far bigger ripoff than sfxt character dlc was.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I won't pay for individual character DLC anymore. Don't have a problem with a set of characters like say 5-10 characters releasing for a reasonable price, a reasonable timeframe after the game launches. The amount ASW charges for individual characters is a far bigger ripoff than sfxt character dlc was.
It was lame that SFxTK had all those characters pretty much finished at launch and gated behind a paywall, but for real, it was pretty good that they all came in one package.

That was one reason why I thought people were being obnoxious as hell when saying that UMvC3 was a rip-off. $40 MSRP that came out closer to $30 after trade-in was a decent deal for what you were getting. No way we would have gotten 12 individual DLC characters (plus all the other additions) for less than that.

DLC characters are a barrier between "do I spend more money and keep training in this fighting game" or "do I just stop playing".

Fighting games do not need barriers like that.

NEO0MJ

Yeah. While I would probably not touch some of them I still want all characters available for me. Ultra style expansions with new characters are what we need. ASW is really frustrating, forcing you to buy a new version just for one character. I would have been furious if I bought Makoto, Valk, and Plat and then suddenly hear about CS Ext.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah. While I would probably not touch some of them I still want all characters available for me. Ultra style expansions with new characters are what we need. ASW is really frustrating, forcing you to buy a new version just for one character. I would have been furious if I bought Makoto, Valk, and Plat and then suddenly hear about CS Ext.

You are not buying those for just characters though.

onionfrog

For real though, $60 games + $30 season passes are some bullshit! $90 for a game is ridiculous.

But its only going to become more and more commonplace. Lots of people just lap that shit up.

;_;

I feel similarly about paid subscriptions being a requirement for online play on consoles.

I'm glad SFV is coming to PC. Fingers crossed that Capcom doesn't fuck it up like steamworks USF4.

CPS2

A lot of games seem designed around their audience only playing that one thing and nothing else. They need to start realising that a lot of people want to buy a few titles a year and start designing around that.

Yeah, partitioning out complete character content to be sold as DLC is the ultimate scumbag practice of this generation of fighting games.

Unfortunately it's insanely profitable, so there's not much I can do about it other than not buy it. I'm sure Capcom made loads of money off the SFxT character DLC they locked away thanks to Sony paying the big bucks to give the Vita an upper edge. It's also easy for them as a company because there are fans that actually defend this practice for them by making terrible excuses.

Not very happy that Sony has stepped in for Capcom like this for SFV. I don't care about prize bonuses or bigger tournament pots, but I do care about how Sony will manipulate Capcom's business practices to suit their hardware and PS+ agenda. I wouldn't be surprised to see some pretty scummy stuff showing itself when more details about how SFV will be released soon such as PS4 SFV getting a huge release date or content advantage over PC for instance.

From what I heard from insiders, the business model is entirely done by Capcom and Sony doesn't have a word to say about it.

Is that even possible? Without going f2p(which unlock a whole set of new scams), what have Capcom not done before? They seem to have tried it all already, day 1 DLC, preorder content, season pass, DLCs that give players advantage in a competitive game, paid consumables...

You said it. The only thing Capcom didn't try is a F2P version. I hope they will make one like Team Ninja did with DOA5. Just give people Ryu, Chun, Dhalsim and Zangief to test the game.

It happened to me. Bought the three characters and three months later Extend was announced. Since that time I didn't bought any DLC from Arc except from Leo as it was a split buy on PSN with a friend.

Devid905

Thomasorus, I have a question for you: Do you have any idea on what the next DLC package for USF4 is about.....what it contains? Will it be free or Capcom going to put a pricetag on it, just like they did with costume packs? It's around 2 GB in size (roughly the same size as the USF4 upgrade DLC)......

alstein

A lot of games seem designed around their audience only playing that one thing and nothing else. They need to start realising that a lot of people want to buy a few titles a year and start designing around that.

It might be because the games cost so much that many folks can't afford to buy anything else. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think SFV is going to designed so it can be built to ramp up to compete with the MOBAs. It's a risky long-term plan, but it's one that I think can pay off.

I do think Capcom's going to do the PC version well this time- the big issue was the online- if Capcom is serious about rollback, that should help. Maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I'm optimistic about SFV.

NEO0MJ

You are not buying those for just characters though.

I know, but I can't help but feel ripped off when I buy a new games ans only get one character, especially if I payed for DLC characters. They should lower the price of DLC characters to a more reasonable $4 if we'll just buy the update a year later.

Thomasorus, I have a question for you: Do you have any idea on what the next DLC package for USF4 is about.....what it contains? Will it be free or Capcom going to put a pricetag on it, just like they did with costume packs? It's around 2 GB in size (roughly the same size as the USF4 upgrade DLC)......

I'm sorry I don't know anything about this. Outside of costumes I don't think they'll add anything that you need to pay for or add anything at all to be honest. The best thing that could happen is new features created with Sony via de PS4 ports added to other platforms but that's pure speculation.

CurlyW

As a TO...

DLC characters are bad.

Unlockable characters are worse. (Hi MK9)

A paid option to get unlockable characters is a dick move. (Hi KoFXIII)

xCobalt

It depends on Smug's situation but I would have gone to France if it meant only missing a few days of school. It's not just about a video game tournament but the new experiences you enjoy from travelling.

yeah there's an argument for missing school if SMUG was going after midterms are done and all he is doing is taking some liberal arts courses with a decent GPA to pad his misshaps.

a trip to Europe, traveling to another country, to experience something 95% of the world will never be able to... That could be a small sacrifice.

But if he's taking some math/science classes, having a bunch of assignment deadlines lining up one after another, or a barrage of exams that come one after the other...I'll even give up going to evo.

hitsugi

What Xrd did that was shitty was indeed Leo and Elphelt certainly still counts given that anyone purchasing the game after the first two weeks it was out has to shell out another $8 for her..

...$8 per character. That's shitty.

As for Smug - who cares? If he stays competitive he'll have other opportunities to travel for SF down the road. Or you know, he could always travel just for the sake of seeing the world on his own schedule later on in life. There's two completely different mindsets as to how he should approach it but he made his decision, so.. that's that.

Azure J

DLC characters are a strange situation and I really don't know where I fall on the issue. On one hand, I like the longevity they can provide to certain games that wouldn't see updates more than once or twice (or at all) during the generation. (Hi Smash Bros.) At the same time, the logistics issues for TOs and players who have to re-invest every time a character drops and the issue of potentially losing them to the march of time as distribution methods dry up or become unavailable are really strong arguments against the practice.

That's the goal though. Developers want a dedicated audience that will play their game and only their game, forever until a new one is out. So that they don't sell their copies back, so that shelf value remains high, so that they get more sales through word of mouth. So on and so forth.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DLC Characters suck but I didn't mind the BBCS dlc tro. None were on disc and each came about 3 months apart.

Kokonoe came a bit later after release as well. Terumi and Elphelt are straight pre order bonus tier.

Leo is the first true scumbag dlc coming out a with'n a month of release

BBCS to BBCSE was also a two year gap not one year

Dlent

I'd be less angry about Arcsys DLC if they would just go on sale sometimes. Persona got cheap fast, but the DLC characters are always 15$ if you didn't get any free.

Really glad to see Smug has his priorities straight.

It depends on Smug's situation but I would have gone to France if it meant only missing a few days of school. It's not just about a video game tournament but the new experiences you enjoy from travelling.

I would had gone too. Just for a weekend and miss a couple days at beginning of semester for a chance to go to Europe?

But it all depends of course. If there was tests that might be missed or he would be over there for longer than a weekend.

Not everybody gets to go to France in their lifetime. Missing a day or 2 is different than week chunks for tourney traveling.

I don't know his school schedule and all of that of course. But on face value and I was doing well in my classes, I would miss a couple days to go travel abroad if I wasn't missing finals or midterms or important deadlines. IMO of course.

I can sort of understand if people in the FGC (especially people from poorer urban areas) generally remember high school as a massive waste of time, but it's not like Smug won't have tons of opportunities to travel when he's not in the middle of important real life shit. If you're Sumail from DOTA and you're skipping school to travel for multimillion-dollar tournaments then sure it can be a consideration, but not for a FGC Major in Europe.

Top Bottom