• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Rhapsody

Banned
Looked up on twitter and saw some P4U2 news. Apparently you can Kara cancel normal supers into its SB version through a glitch. Thus, you only spend 50 meter now lol

soakrates

Stream monsters may not be part of the FGC, but the FGC could definitely stand to be more pro-active in dealing with them.

For that matter, so could Twitch.

chriskun

I just don't understand why any of these people get pissed off about stream monsters being assholes. Of course they are assholes it's the internet. If you are gonna put yourself in the public spotlight you need to know that people are going to be coming for you. Sometimes I think these people don't have any conflict in their real lives, or real relationships of any sort.

Infinite

Starting to get the feeling ArcSys might have a few too many plates spinning.

They seem to have more than one team to handle different projects. I mean there was a time where they had HnK, Sengoku Basara, Guilty Gear and Battle Fantasia. In any case this isn't game breaking and can be patched out like other things were.

Rhapsody

Banned
They seem to have more than one team to handle different projects. I mean there was a time where they had HnK, Sengoku Basara, Guilty Gear and Battle Fantasia. In any case this isn't game breaking and can be patched out like other things were.
Yup. Apparently Team Red is GG right now while Team Blue handles BB and P4U.

Omega

Banned
Stream monsters may not be part of the FGC, but the FGC could definitely stand to be more pro-active in dealing with them.

For that matter, so could Twitch.

yeah, make it like GAF where you need more than just freemail to get an account. Doesn't prevent them from watching the stream, but it does stop them from being a fucking idiot.

I've seen the EMP_sanfords_biglips and AGE_shemalejenix's in Counter Strike streams. They probably go to LoL/SC2 streams as well. Only they have FGC-related names so people associate them with the FGC

Problem is, they only have FGC names because most tournaments usually have sub-only chat to prevent losers like this from spamming and making the community look bad.

Remember when Sp00ky had sub-chat? Arts poverty chat was a fucking disgrace and when Sp00ky took off subchat, he still got a ton of disrespectful shit for days, maybe even weeks.

xCobalt

It would transcode the match locally on your console and then upload to a dedicated channel for replays.

It would suggest generic names like "Ryu vs. Chun-Li" and wouldn't have info about who played, when they played, etc.

The quality was also God-awful. It appears that they skipped frames in the transcoding and the quality was extremely grainy.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkDyZPUoL9Q

Compare this to the trailer which has in-game footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omY0WItHGZY

That's disappointing to hear. Hopefully they can improve on it, especially with Haunts on the team now.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
We're going live at KiT.

http://www.twitch.tv/sixfortyfive

Keep me posted on any stream problems in the chat if you're monstering today (lag, audio issues, choppy video, etc). I'm starting out streaming at 2mbps and want to see if our connection is good enough or if I might have to lower it.

Omega

Banned
I just don't understand why any of these people get pissed off about stream monsters being assholes. Of course they are assholes it's the internet. If you are gonna put yourself in the public spotlight you need to know that people are going to be coming for you. Sometimes I think these people don't have any conflict in their real lives, or real relationships of any sort.

because when the monthly "FGC is doomed" discussions start up, people use stream monsters as the representative of the FGC.

Stream chat would make you think Capcom vs non-capcom fighting community was as serious as South Korea vs North Korea. In reality, no one fucking cares.

Or how the FGC is misogynistic, sexist pieces of shit thanks to stream monsters spewing the most hateful shit because they see a female standing in the back corner of a camera angle.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Can't connect to Twitch chat.

Off to a great start.

EDIT: I lose connection to chat every time I send a message. I can read it just fine though... Goddammit, twitch.

casperOne

That's disappointing to hear. Hopefully they can improve on it, especially with Haunts on the team now.

To be clear, Iron Galaxy did the 3SO port. Capcom Japan is doing the USF4 update, so I expect everything around these mechanisms to be vastly different.

Omega

Banned
Emmanuel F. Brito @MKKI_CDjr

KI will be like 3rd strike,

heard it here first KI fans. bail the fuck out before it's too late and you love a dead game that only 5 people on your side of the world want to play

Silver_key

Neo Member

Civilized folk always pay for the assholes. Soccer fans become banana-throwing racists. You have to drink out of plastic at U.S. stadiums. Heck, I don't know if mini-bats are given out at baseball games anymore.

The sad thing is that we all know that bad behavior is not a forgone conclusion. There are weak-willed people who get caught up in the waves of bad behavior and those who purposefully go into any popular stream and try to ruin things. They should be removed in favor of people who enjoy the game (or heaven forbid want to learn or experience something new). No mercy and no apologies. Apex sub-chat was good, as was the unofficial poverty chat (with under 3000 viewers).

Why no love from EventHubs/SRK? Its like FGW is the hub to see streams that are happening.

We have an article ready to go, but the tournament hasn't seemed to start in earnest yet. None of the other streams are live last time I checked.

EDIT: KiTRevival just started broadcasting.

EDIT 2: And now our article is up. Not sure why you thought we would post about tournament streams before they go live, but whatever.

El Sloth

Banned
I hope Arturo doesn't mind me posting this here, but since you guys were talking about similar things a few days ago I thought it was relevant:

Arturo on Facebook said:
So many companies pulling out of the FGC and there will probably be more blowups to come later in the year.

It's time for people to realize that
1) you can't advance the FGC by just pushing buttons. Top players are amazing and have dedicated their lives to being as good as they are, but it takes more than this to make it work. needs to be a solid ecosystem just to make it happen. You also need to be marketable. This goes beyond just being the best. But it goes both ways.

2) just because you're a amazing player, it doesnt mean you'll be sponsored... or sponsored for long..or even sponsored by a reputable company. being sponsored means obligations on both sides - not to mention its a hard sell to the fgc already. Good luck getting a good sponsor that works out for both. This is why I have stayed mostly independent and partnered with someone homegrown, like Spooky.

3) sustainability is key. I can't stress this enough. its time to stop waiting for a golden goose that will most likely never come (hi guys it hasn't come in 15-20 years now) and create it ourselves through hard work/perseverance/staying in the black. this is why I personally try to keep my expenses lean, save up a bunch, only invest in equipment when it makes sense. of course you need to spend money to make money, but this comes with S U S T A I N A B I L I T Y

4) diversify, diversify, diversify! We get that you like fighting games. Awesome. I do too. It's still a hustle either way. Want to make it work comfortably? Figure out a way to diversify your options/revenue so that you can do what you enjoy without burning yourself out. I think gootecks would be a excellent example of this, always hedging his bets since day 1.

5) twitter wars, while hilarious, are like the old bullshit IRC days..except everyone can see them. i'm sure people that would want to sponsor the fgc see those... and wonder... why get involved?

6) while unrelated to the other 5, local scenes are still as important as ever. Without local scenes a lot of this would not be happening. Easiest way to help our your local FGC is focus on what you can do for your local scene, and expand from there. Matter of fact the FGC is a bunch of tiny little communities spread everywhere!

Anyway, these are just my opinions. Hope people take it to heart during this supposed doom and gloom.

Kumubou

I think people worry way too much about needless crap. The reason there isn't much investment in fighting games is because... there's no money in it. That's it. This sort of crap happens in much bigger games and it doesn't matter. All that matters in the end are eyeballs and attention. Focusing on grassroots growth and cleaning things up can help maintain interest and promote growth at the margins... but it's not going to cause the scene to explode.

In short: Capcom is killing e-sports.

We have an article ready to go, but the tournament hasn't seemed to start in earnest yet. None of the other streams are live last time I checked.

EDIT: KiTRevival just started broadcasting.

EDIT 2: And now our article is up. Not sure why you thought we would post about tournament streams before they go live, but whatever.

Here is where you can make your post/content stand out. Talk about the dangerous pools, potential gatekeepers, interesting narrative you can weave before the tournament starts. Sure, listing players attending is very informative but maybe add a narrative. Its like highlighting combo monsters but also making it fun for the audience to see what matches to look out for.

I am basically saying you can have more click-bait but fun/useful clickbait.

I think people worry way too much about needless crap. The reason there isn't much investment in fighting games is because... there's no money in it. That's it. This sort of crap happens in much bigger games and it doesn't matter. All that matters in the end are eyeballs and attention. Focusing on grassroots growth and cleaning things up can help maintain interest and promote growth at the margins... but it's not going to cause the scene to explode.

In short: Capcom is killing e-sports.
I agree with you except for that last part. How is Capcom the killer?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Reading the article, this is great, IMO. High quality uploads to your YouTube channel is a big win. IG didn't do either of these things with 3SO, and I feel the feature suffered because of it.

I posted as much on SRK about this:

Enzo, this is 10x better than the IG releases, for the reasons bolded above. It was good to see in an IG game, but the lack of high quality videos was really detrimental to the feature.
Perhaps, but I'd like to wait it out for more information before we end up with compression woes, etc. and it sucks.

Do you have the "speed of light" quote from him?
You mean like the one you quoted?

I believe that reason was a MS/XBL policy of not allowing games to do stuff like collect YouTube authentication info. I'll see if I can source that...
It was something really weird, but I do remember some games eventually getting post-to-YT via 360. It might have been post-NXE or something.

"Source" being the only quality available = can't watch :(
Keep it open, more qualities will load over time, or go to another stream and load that up first, switch the quality if possible there and go to this stream. Quality settings are no longer partner-only.

I hope Arturo doesn't mind me posting this here, but since you guys were talking about similar things a few days ago I thought it was relevant:
He's right, but the parties involved that make this stuff happen either aren't going to listen anyways or are on some revolution-via-twitter shit.

I agree with you except for that last part. How is Capcom the killer?
Yeah Capcom has been pretty integral in the preservation of the grassroots like in the former half of his post.

Here is where you can make your post/content stand out. Talk about the dangerous pools, potential gatekeepers, interesting narrative you can weave before the tournament starts. Sure, listing players attending is very informative but maybe add a narrative. Its like highlighting combo monsters but also making it fun for the audience to see what matches to look out for.

I am basically saying you can have more click-bait but fun/useful clickbait.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. We usually do things like that leading up to other tournaments, but KiT kinda snuck up on us.

undersakura

Neo Member
KOF and MK were at MLG that one time but noone watched it. iirc there was a lot of community backlash/whining about it. Guess what happened next? They never had it again.

Edit: Capcom denies MLG the ability to broadcast Capcom games for unknown reasons.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Edit: Capcom denies MLG the ability to broadcast Capcom games for unknown reasons.
You mean known reasons such as not being able to come to an agreement on the large-scale corporate monetization of their properties MLG wants to do and them not agreeing about how to handle relations with the existing, grassroots community.

Matt Dahlgren said a big reason why they went with IPL before it folded was that they wanted to work with the existing community and help it grow as well rather than do their own thing and potentially cause segregation.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The problem with the FGC is no Yipes in speedos. That's the damn problem. Shoutouts to filling out dozens of paperwork on a friday night.

Top Bottom