• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

Sayah

CPS2

Nice, I feel like I'm actually excited for this iteration of MK. The last entry was kind of weak and got stale quickly in my opinion. The story mode was good though.
I think the last MK was easily the best one ever. How did it get stale? There's a pretty deep combo system which some people are still finding new stuff with, and there's more random stuff to do than any other fighter.

Straightforward in a Ryu/Ky/Sol/Yu/Kula (may as well throw in a KoF example as well) kind of way? No, not really.

Filia requires making use of air dash cancels in order to play her effectively, and her only ranged attacks are her ground drills which erupt from fixed points, rather than anything that travels across the screen to control space (might as well not count her Lv. 3 super, which is considerably less economical and more situational than anything else). A simpler character compared to much of the rest of the cast, but her evil doppelganger Fukua is ultimately simpler.

Meanwhile, Parasoul is considerably less simple as a charge character compared to someone like Guile, with the need to account for setting projectiles on the screen that the player must decide the ideal time to detonate, knowing which umbrella normals are best for incorporating said detonations into combos, and accounting for multiple charge specials during combos, be it Napalm Shot, Napalm Pillar, or things like the motorcycle charge (i.e., hitting them with a combo that leads into a Napalm Shot, detonating the projectile left behind with a normal, taking advantage of the hitstun to bounce them off the ground with her b+HK and having a charge ready to call the motorcycle charge special to drag them to the other end of the screen, ready a non-charge attack with the Napalm Toss that sets up a projectile on that side of the screen, then have a charge ready to use the detonate version of Napalm Pillar).

I can't comment as much on Cerebella or Peacock. The former doesn't seem much better or worse than other grapplers in respect to accessibility. As far as projectile characters go, straightforward doesn't really come to mind with Peacock, as she seems to fall under the same quirky archetype as characters like Faust in GG or Teddie in Persona. Still, I could probably concede that she appears to be among the least demanding choices to play.

Of the DLC characters added so far, though, neither Squigly nor Big Band (especially not Big Band) nor Eliza are all that beginner-friendly either. That said, Squigly would probably be the best choice among those three for more casual players who don't play fighting games all that much, they just wouldn't be able to do much with the stance-switching or taking advantage of storing special attack charges for cancels during combos.
I'm not sure why you're so quick to dismiss Squigly's stance stuff as unnecessary for casual players but claim Filia's ADC combos are vital to her game at a beginner level (they're not). Similarly, do you think the imaginary audience you're presenting Parasoul to cares about pulling off full tear loop/car combos? Peacock is also way simpler at a fundamental execution level than Faust (idk about Teddie I didn't get that much into P4A), one of her full screen projectiles doesn't even require a command input to attack plus she doesn't really have any random element to her I know you're going to try to cite ...me which item you summon matters like... evercompared to Faust or Teddie

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Chris Christie is like if TriForce was a governor imo. But that's just me.

Banana wang just talks, Chris gets things done. He is a little crazy and bias in certain aspects but he means good.

Snow day off. Doing raids in Destiny. People get salty in that game as much as fighters.

Azure J

Commentary on point @ Frosty Faustings, complaining about Elphelt's SG-D being completely invincible. It's not. The command grab is throw invulnerable, the lunge acts like a 6P. Good mixup is good, but ffs.

I was actually listening to this part thinking "if this is the feedback ASW takes into account, no wonder all their characters fluxuate so wildly between revisions."

That said, between watching some of the top 8 stuff and Biscuits' stream last night, BKen has an Elph that is equal parts amazing and "why would you do that there?"

Straightforward in a Ryu/Ky/Sol/Yu/Kula (may as well throw in a KoF example as well) kind of way? No, not really.

Filia requires making use of air dash cancels in order to play her effectively, and her only ranged attacks are her ground drills which erupt from fixed points, rather than anything that travels across the screen to control space (might as well not count her Lv. 3 super, which is considerably less economical and more situational than anything else). A simpler character compared to much of the rest of the cast, but her evil doppelganger Fukua is ultimately simpler.

Meanwhile, Parasoul is considerably less simple as a charge character compared to someone like Guile, with the need to account for setting projectiles on the screen that the player must decide the ideal time to detonate, knowing which umbrella normals are best for incorporating said detonations into combos, and accounting for multiple charge specials during combos, be it Napalm Shot, Napalm Pillar, or things like the motorcycle charge (i.e., hitting them with a combo that leads into a Napalm Shot, detonating the projectile left behind with a normal, taking advantage of the hitstun to bounce them off the ground with her b+HK and having a charge ready to call the motorcycle charge special to drag them to the other end of the screen, ready a non-charge attack with the Napalm Toss that sets up a projectile on that side of the screen, then have a charge ready to use the detonate version of Napalm Pillar).

I can't comment as much on Cerebella or Peacock. The former doesn't seem much better or worse than other grapplers in respect to accessibility. As far as projectile characters go, straightforward doesn't really come to mind with Peacock, as she seems to fall under the same quirky archetype as characters like Faust in GG or Teddie in Persona. Still, I could probably concede that she appears to be among the least demanding choices to play.

Of the DLC characters added so far, though, neither Squigly nor Big Band (especially not Big Band) nor Eliza are all that beginner-friendly either. That said, Squigly would probably be the best choice among those three for more casual players who don't play fighting games all that much, they just wouldn't be able to do much with the stance-switching or taking advantage of storing special attack charges for cancels during combos.

I think you're overstating the difficulty of these characters and are sort of conflating the difference between having tools on a character that are difficult to utilize in neutral vs. making use of the tools that are actually required to have some sort of baseline of success. You don't need to make use of the tools you listed in order to be successful with them. Filia has airdash cancels and those airdash cancels are pretty integral to her basic combo routes. Yes. But in a game with a macro-able 2 button airdash this effectively just becomes another set input in a chain of similar inputs. It's only difficult if you're trying to manually airdash cancel with something like forward forward. You mention the little drill spikes and how they erupt in set places on the map ... which, combined with what little gain you get for actually hitting them with it, makes it so that most people who use Filia completely ignore them and just run the rushdown game instead. Is she as simple as Fukua? Probably not, but she's still by and large one of the most straightforward characters in the game. Jump, airdash, j.HP -> Repeat till hit.

The Parasoul example is probably the epitome of what I'm talking about though. The trend in players to actually make use of tear setting, manual detonation, and the additional combo routes that come with it is a fairly recent development for her character. And was only made possible with tweaks to her overall gameplay that came with the release of the PC version of the game and Squigly edition. You can play her (and I personally play her) in a far simpler manner. The core of her game is still Napalm Shot zoning (which is literally guile) at fullscreen and j.LP -> j.HP as a form of aerial dominance to start combos. Can you do new and obscure mixups while making use of the additional tools? Yes. But at that point we're talking about the difference of fully utilizing a character to their full potential and finding what tools one actually needs to be comfortable using during the course of the match. All the characters in Skullgirls can be played in a simple or straightforward manner once you've internalized that the name of the game is finding ways to reset your opponent for additional damage. After that it's just magic series, launcher string, into shenanigans.

You don't think Big Band is straightforward? If you're talking about parry then yeah he does have a certain level of complexity but when you realize that parrying in a game as fast paced as Skullgirls is sort of a lost cause to begin with then you realize that DP is a far more useful defensive mechanic. I typically only use parry to jump through zoning because it retains your horizontal momentum while in the air. After that the character becomes jump tambourine special into random armor punches hit confirmed into super. The biggest hurdle with learning the character is that he just sucks and everything instant overheads him. :p

Do you play on PS3?

Korigama

I'm not sure why you're so quick to dismiss Squigly's stance stuff as unnecessary for casual players but claim Filia's ADC combos are vital to her game at a beginner level (they're not). Similarly, do you think the imaginary audience you're presenting Parasoul to cares about pulling off full tear loop/car combos? Peacock is also way simpler at a fundamental execution level than Faust (idk about Teddie I didn't get that much into P4A), one of her full screen projectiles doesn't even require a command input to attack plus she doesn't really have any random element to her I know you're going to try to cite ...me which item you summon matters like... evercompared to Faust or Teddie
Guess I'll just have to take your word for it. That said, you are correct that the more technical aspects brought up for those two would be just as irrelevant to the casual players that I'm trying to understand. I might as well also admit that out of everything I play right now, I still have yet to invest in playing SG particularly seriously, so I won't have as much understanding in respect to just what it is other players value or prioritize in it. At the same time, I should add that it's not my intention to be dismissive of the game, as you seem to have taken offense to my assessments of it. As said before, I'm more interested in why other players seem to be put off by it for reasons beyond its gender ratio and its aesthetics, and general technicality of playstyles represented compared to what's offered by competing alternatives seemed to be the only other answer.
I think you're overstating the difficulty of these characters and are sort of conflating the difference between having tools on a character that are difficult to utilize in neutral vs. making use of the tools that are actually required to have some sort of baseline of success. You don't need to make use of the tools you listed in order to be successful with them. Filia has airdash cancels and those airdash cancels are pretty integral to her basic combo routes. Yes. But in a game with a macro-able 2 button airdash this effectively just becomes another set input in a chain of similar inputs. It's only difficult if you're trying to manually airdash cancel with something like forward forward. You mention the little drill spikes and how they erupt in set places on the map ... which, combined with what little gain you get for actually hitting them with it, makes it so that most people who use Filia completely ignore them and just run the rushdown game instead. Is she as simple as Fukua? Probably not, but she's still by and large one of the most straightforward characters in the game. Jump, airdash, j.HP -> Repeat till hit.

The Parasoul example is probably the epitome of what I'm talking about though. The trend in players to actually make use of tear setting, manual detonation, and the additional combo routes that come with it is a fairly recent development for her character. And was only made possible with tweaks to her overall gameplay that came with the release of the PC version of the game and Squigly edition. You can play her (and I personally play her) in a far simpler manner. The core of her game is still Napalm Shot zoning (which is literally guile) at fullscreen and j.LP -> j.HP as a form of aerial dominance to start combos. Can you do new and obscure mixups while making use of the additional tools? Yes. But at that point we're talking about the difference of fully utilizing a character to their full potential and finding what tools one actually needs to be comfortable using during the course of the match. All the characters in Skullgirls can be played in a simple or straightforward manner once you've internalized that the name of the game is finding ways to reset your opponent for additional damage. After that it's just magic series, launcher string, into shenanigans.

You don't think Big Band is straightforward? If you're talking about parry then yeah he does have a certain level of complexity but when you realize that parrying in a game as fast paced as Skullgirls is sort of a lost cause to begin with then you realize that DP is a far more useful defensive mechanic. I typically only use parry to jump through zoning because it retains your horizontal momentum while in the air. After that the character becomes jump tambourine special into random armor punches hit confirmed into super. The biggest hurdle with learning the character is that he just sucks and everything instant overheads him. :p

Do you play on PS3?
Hm, perhaps it is just a case of me perceiving most of them to be more complex for others than they actually are. And yes, I do play on PS3.

As said before, I'm more interested in why other players seem to be put off by it for reasons beyond its gender ratio and its aesthetics, and general technicality of playstyles represented compared to what's offered by competing alternatives seemed to be the only other answer.

Hm, perhaps it is just a case of me perceiving most of them to be more complex for others than they actually are. And yes, I do play on PS3.
I think people are more bothered by the aesthetics than they're willing to admit, personally. Players from other fighting games still like to fall back on "it's too slow" "it's too sandwich combo heavy" "it's too reset heavy" arguments despite the first two not being true for months/years by now and the concern trolling is kinda tired tbh

LegatoB

I think people are more bothered by the aesthetics than they're willing to admit, personally. Players from other fighting games still like to fall back on "it's too slow" "it's too sandwich combo heavy" "it's too reset heavy" arguments despite the first two not being true for months/years by now and the concern trolling is kinda tired tbh
You say the game's "not like that anymore," but I think we're all pretty aware of how much first impressions can hurt a game in the long run. Just ask the SFxT fans about that one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You say the game's "not like that anymore," but I think we're all pretty aware of how much first impressions can hurt a game in the long run. Just ask the SFxT fans about that one.

Poor SFxT it became a better game than SF4 but it had no chance anymore

Ar3s_701

Neo Member
Been wanting to put this out there. If you are in the Seattle area then try to hit up PNW FGC Monthly at GAMEBREAKERZ this Saturday. It doesn't get much exposure, but the venue is really great and more people should check it out. It takes place on the last Saturday of every month and focuses on Capcom Fighters USFIV and UMvC3 with a few others like BlazBlue and Tekken.

The first Saturday of every month is usually Battle 4 Seattle which features anime games like GG Xrd, BlazBlue, UNIEL, P4, and Capcom fighters as a side.

Anyway, check it out and check out the stream on Saturday as well. http://www.twitch.tv/gamebreakerz

4r5

Guilty Gear X Advance (for the GBA) has a 2on2 and 3on3 tag mode, with assists and a new RC that was like a normal RC but also swapped out your point character.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Guilty Gear X Advance (for the GBA) has a 2on2 and 3on3 tag mode, with assists and a new RC that was like a normal RC but also swapped out your point character.

It sure did, it was also hilariously broken and ran like shit LOL

And yes, I do play on PS3.

Hit me up sometime if you ever get the feeling to play Skullgirls on PSN. It's DiscoShark there too.

It's super unfortunate too because the game gets DRAMATICALLY better with each iteration. Like Mike puts in tons of work to test out new ideas and balance changes in the beta. Here's a compiled list of things that are up on the changelist for Beowulf edition when that drops in the next month and a half or so.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wHJL0yIvVKcbzO5lEivR6sCdusB0tr8goDSuRO-4w7k/edit

Kumubou

DOA fan meets and interviews Itagaki.

Some interesting stuff there, like Itagaki's view that fighting games run the risk of ending up like shmups.
I would be more inclined to buy some of his opinions if the DoA games under his stewardship were not straight asswater. Some of them were fun, but I think even he managed to go off the rails with making them fun with DoA4.

I find the point about Tecmo not really pushing the game itself recently interesting. I don't think there's a whole lot they can do to expand interest outside of the core playerbase for an expansion, but at the same time I can see how the focus on all of these random fetish costumes can be a bad look. Part of the issue is that the series has always had that tendency (just without DLC to constantly push), but it would come across a lot more even-handed if they would invest in the core game and the community more. You know... maybe they could improve the game's online functionality? And then get/retain more players and sell more schoolgirl uniforms??? Funny how that works!

This interview seems self-serving in several ways, though. DoA getting derided for its outfits and awful netcode... is he talking about the games before or after he left Tecmo???

Regarding not wanting DoA (and fighting games in general) to end up down the same path as shumps or music-rhythm games, I don't think there's an easy solution to that... well, better than what we already have, anyway. People are going to get bored of a given genre at the same level of intensity once they acclimate to it, and the trend is to make things faster, harder, and more complicated. However, I think once it ends up too far in that direction, there's a market inefficiency on the less hardcore end and you can see a game take advantage of that under the right circumstances (and I think this is one of the main reasons why games like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax and Sound Voltex have seen the success they have in Japanese arcades recently... that, and the waifus. Always the damn waifus.)

Also, as an aside, the Steam page for DoA5:LR had its release date adjusted to March 31st -- it was delayed about five weeks. Sounds like the PC version was coming in a little too hot.

I'll be honest -- I don't like art style for characters in Skullgirls at all. And this is coming from someone who plays Arcana Heart, so I figured I could at least put up with anything this side of NRS games... nope!

And it's still too reset every. :p

Korigama

Hit me up sometime if you ever get the feeling to play Skullgirls on PSN. It's DiscoShark there too.
Okay, I'll send a friend request later tonight (not sure if I'll be able to get around to SG tonight, but can definitely get that done). Look for one from summerdrone.

Can mike revert Ms. Fortune back to her original status minus nom nom loops. K thanks

But she's a way more interesting character now!

Just let me know when SkullGirls is done changing.

The only difference between Skullgirls and Xrd on this front is that we're let in behind the scenes to the inprogress development of the inevitable next iteration! But it'll be done changing when Robo-Fortune is out, and she's farther along than the team's let on.

ivXl3Ay.png

Okay, I'll send a friend request later tonight (not sure if I'll be able to get around to SG tonight, but can definitely get that done). Look for one from summerdrone.

Looking forward to playing some time then.

LegatoB

It's super unfortunate too because the game gets DRAMATICALLY better with each iteration. Like Mike puts in tons of work to test out new ideas and balance changes in the beta. Here's a compiled list of things that are up on the changelist for Beowulf edition when that drops in the next month and a half or so.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wHJL0yIvVKcbzO5lEivR6sCdusB0tr8goDSuRO-4w7k/edit
And, I mean, it's great that they're mixing stuff up, trying to make it work. I'd really like them to succeed, but...

...yeah, I feel this. The kinds of regular and frequently big changes that happen in Skullgirls, even if you stay off the "beta" channel, are kind of a huge turn-off for players who aren't already super invested in the game. I don't know what the solution to that is.

Nyoro SF

That attitude is going to cost you dearly in the future of fighting games, my friend.

Also the changes to SG are not so great that a small amount of adjustment can't fix it.
Mike Z has a sharp eye for a lot of good decisions. The changes so far have a high success rate of making the game more fun to play.

I remember listening to someone explain how incredible Zappa was in +R... then I saw some footage of the guy.

Just absolutely dominant. It feels like no one can touch him. The sword that he sends out is so obnoxious to watch. It's almost forgivable because Zappa is a hilarious character to watch because of his animations... almost.

...yeah, I feel this. The kinds of regular and frequently big changes that happen in Skullgirls, even if you stay off the "beta" channel, are kind of a huge turn-off for players who aren't already super invested in the game. I don't know what the solution to that is.

There hasn't been an update to the retail build of Skullgirls in months.

Also I can't believe a new player wouldn't be happy that a developer is paying attention to the balance and updated content of their game. That's some stone age thinking. In the beta even when a "large" change happens the character's gameplan is usually 90%+ unaltered.

The way some of you guys describe it, makes it sound like the game is being turned on its head every week, which is simply not true.

I guess you're not going to play SFV, then

I got a rant to make about this that I can't do atm since I'm on mobile, but as an open question to all, what do you think is the right time scale to introduce foundational changes to a fighting game? What about everything in between: bug fixes, mechanical tweaks, etc? There's a large body of work to draw examples from, whether it be Sakurai removing movement options from a game in a mere patch, Arcsys doing what they're now infamous for doing with game updates, or NRS messing with Injustice.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think communicating changes to your average player is the bigger problem, especially when they're often incomplete, inaccurate, not communicated well within-the game, the implications and/or reasoning is to be assumed by the player unless they go hunt down some live stream they did that one time etc.

I think this is crucial for more segmented communities like the FGC.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just put a patch change list in game that pops up when you start the game.

Have it show up the first time when you start that version. After that make it so you press a button on the main menu to bring it up.

Nyoro SF

I think communicating changes to your average player is the bigger problem, especially when they're often incomplete, inaccurate, not communicated well within-the game, the implications and/or reasoning is to be assumed by the player unless they go hunt down some live stream they did that one time etc.

I think this is crucial for more segmented communities like the FGC.

Yeah SF4 magnified this problem a lot before they wised up at Capcom Unity the past few years. I remember all the confusion around AE's initial release.

Just put a patch change list in game that pops up when you start the game.

Skullgirls does this :)

Beckx

I would be more inclined to buy some of his opinions if the DoA games under his stewardship were not straight asswater. Some of them were fun, but I think even he managed to go off the rails with making them fun with DoA4.

I find the point about Tecmo not really pushing the game itself recently interesting. I don't think there's a whole lot they can do to expand interest outside of the core playerbase for an expansion, but at the same time I can see how the focus on all of these random fetish costumes can be a bad look. Part of the issue is that the series has always had that tendency (just without DLC to constantly push), but it would come across a lot more even-handed if they would invest in the core game and the community more. You know... maybe they could improve the game's online functionality? And then get/retain more players and sell more schoolgirl uniforms??? Funny how that works!

This interview seems self-serving in several ways, though. DoA getting derided for its outfits and awful netcode... is he talking about the games before or after he left Tecmo???

Regarding not wanting DoA (and fighting games in general) to end up down the same path as shumps or music-rhythm games, I don't think there's an easy solution to that... well, better than what we already have, anyway. People are going to get bored of a given genre at the same level of intensity once they acclimate to it, and the trend is to make things faster, harder, and more complicated. However, I think once it ends up too far in that direction, there's a market inefficiency on the less hardcore end and you can see a game take advantage of that under the right circumstances (and I think this is one of the main reasons why games like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax and Sound Voltex have seen the success they have in Japanese arcades recently... that, and the waifus. Always the damn waifus.)

Yeah, I think he says some thought provoking things that are (at a minimum) also self-serving. I did laugh at the analogy that Tecmo was sending all its fleets to the North Pole, hah. The guy has always struck me as a volatile mix of smart and crazy and this didn't change that view.

I think he's right, though, that new players need to be able to walk up, press some buttons, and have fun. SFIV actually isn't so bad in that regard, same with Xrd. My kids were playing Xrd and just finding buttons that worked for them. My daughter ended up with Zato flying all around fishing for cheap hits. Smash is *king* at this.

LegatoB

I guess you're not going to play SFV, then
Is it likely to feel a lot like SF4? Then probably not. I don't think that game is much fun to play! It feels like butt to move around in that game, that's kind of a deal-breaker.

This is kind of an old-school attitude, but it's not super important to me that a developer provide frequent updates to a game if they get it "right enough" the first time. Emergency fixes to repair bad designs you really should've caught in testing, like BBCP 1.0 Kokonoe, are one thing, but if a game is pretty "healthy" and in a stable state, let it rock for a while. A major update once a year is great; I have more issues with the NATURE of the updates of some games, and the staggered distribution of the updates for players outside Japan, than I do the timing.

Whether it's "fair" or not, players like me tend to react poorly to frequent updates if we don't perceive the current state of the game as desperately needing it. Maybe if SF5 tries a model with more frequent minor updates, and implements it in a way that isn't a massive horrible nightmare in places where you can't connect to the Internet (like tournaments), minds might change a bit.

Top Bottom