• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

Other than the smaller roster size, might one say that the other problem with Skullgirls is the lack of straightforward playstyles among the cast? The majority of the characters seem to lean more on the technical side of things, lacking more simplistic characters suited to easing in new players that Arc fighters such as P4AU and even GGXrd both manage to provide (I guess Fukua might count in SG's case). I had been wondering if that might have had something to do with why not all that many people seem to play SG.
The first four characters they made for Skullgirls don't count as straightforward? Filia, Parasoul, Cerebella, and Peacock respectively fall into the rushdown, charge, grappler, and projectile archetypes pretty straight.

M2K, glad to see him out of EMP.

Also, $40 an hour for my kid's piano lessons?! I guess thats why Gooteck/Wong was charging so much. I feel if I have to pay that much, I have to make her practice even more for her lessons.

o6yqwR0.jpg

alstein

Yeah he nailed it when describing DOA5. The game has no soul and feels too technical for what DOA was like before. I've given it a chance many times but it just doesn't have the magic that I thought DOA4 had.

To me this is an issue with all of the 3d fighters to varying extents right now.

ShinMaruku

I do think Itagaki's right about the dangers of becoming too hardcore. It's happened before with FGs, so hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

You need both technical and non-technical games.

Yes but his execution with DOA4 is too much in the wrong direction. You have 2 extremes Tekken on one side DOA4 on the other.

Malice215

Snow day!

imCWpjw189oAC.gif

I'm mad that I'm at work while these kids get a day off from 1 inch of snow. Back in the day we'd needed at least a foot of snow at least before schools would close.

Fucking finally

M2k is finally free.

I wonder how long until a real esports company signs him.

He's already signed to one, MVG.
which is fake to me and most likely just as bad as staying with EMP. Time will tell.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Snow day was weak, glad I have a reason not to walk outside today. Also, love seeing marvel talk in the afternoon.

Tripon

He's already signed to one, MVG.
which is fake to me and most likely just as bad as staying with EMP. Time will tell.
M2K said he's just repping the tag to help promote it. He's not signed to a sponsorship with MVG. Besides, apparently the people with MVG has bad blood with Triforce too.

spoonztt

M2K said he's just repping the tag to help promote it. He's not signed to a sponsorship with MVG. Besides, apparently the people with MVG has bad blood with Triforce too.

They used to be business partners, but they found out some stuff that Triforce was doing behind their back and parted ways in December. That's pretty much all I can say atm.

Malice215

DOA fan meets and interviews Itagaki.

Some interesting stuff there, like Itagaki's view that fighting games run the risk of ending up like shmups.

Finished reading this interview. I think it's really cool that Emperor Cow got to speak with Itagaki. It's amazing to be able to speak with and pick the brain of the person responsible for making your favorite game. I'm glad that I had that opportunity with the devs for SCV.

I don't think fighting games are at risk of ending up as shmups because these games are so different from each other and people will gravitate towards whatever game scratches their itch. I do agree with DOA5 being too sexy, however the last couple of games under his watch weren't that great either, and DOA4 was a joke competitively, so he's not taking his own advice.

Didn't think this would ever happen. Triforce better start scouting Melee tournaments

I think he's moved on to scouting Hearthstone players when I was checking his Twitter yesterday.

I don't see how or why he's promoting someone and not receiving any monetary compensation in return, but I'm not going to waste my brain cells trying to figure out what he's up to so I'll just wish him the best. I'm sure most are just happy to see EMP lose it's last pillar and could care less whether M2K is in a better situation for himself. Anyway, time will tell and I'm looking forward to see how he does at Apex. Hopefully it's not another repeat of the finals at Paragon.

Shouta

Cross-Country flights suuuuck. I was thinking of hitting up Final Round but that price is kinda ridiculous including hotel.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm mad that I'm at work while these kids get a day off from 1 inch of snow. Back in the day we'd needed at least a foot of snow at least before schools would close.

]

Back in my day school would only close if there is a state of emergency. So even if it's ten feet without a SOE, school is still open. But yeah, closings are tame today. Thing is, they don't want to expose bus drivers and kids getting stuck in traffic for hours so they try to avoid it altogether.

I think there is a conspiracy between the news and stores. For a while now weather channels are hyping up storms forcing people to buy every single thing off store shelves only to say oops the storm moved slightly to the blah blah blah so you guys missed it. The same thing happened last year and it pissed a lot of people off.

CPS2

All the Marvel fans seem to forget that ASW already made the perfect game for them: Isuka.

Kappa
Long before you could face a different direction in the air in P4A, you could face a different direction on the ground in Isuka! It was so ahead of its time...

Sayah

Well, I got to leave early from my job yesterday and they gave everyone the day off today. :)

Chris Christie even cancelled NJTransit for the entire day. The day's as clear as it could be, lol.

Malice215

Back in my day school would only close if there is a state of emergency. So even if it's ten feet without a SOE, school is still open. But yeah, closings are tame today. Thing is, they don't want to expose bus drivers and kids getting stuck in traffic for hours so they try to avoid it altogether.

I think there is a conspiracy between the news and stores. For a while now weather channels are hyping up storms forcing people to buy every single thing off store shelves only to say oops the storm moved slightly to the blah blah blah so you guys missed it. The same thing happened last year and it pissed a lot of people off.

The only time I can remember school closing was for the blizzard of '96 which was great, but then they made us come to school an hour earlier for the rest of that school year to make up for lost time, then made it the standard the following school year which meant I had to get on the bus at 5AM instead of 6AM.

Now if you even say the word snow, there's a panic even though we should all be used to these conditions by now, especially after the feets of snow we had in the previous years. People are being overly cautious which then forces people to stock up on unnecessary things, and news channels love it because it's a ratings boost, especially now that they've started naming winter storms.

At least in North Carolina, an inch of snow would cause a state of emergency.

Tekken Crash Returns will be on in less than 12 hours.

Alisa is out of the game due to South Korea's TV censorship laws (yay chainsaws) but we get to see Shaheen instead. So interested to see what the playstyle will be like.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...-tekken-7-3on3-tournament-live-from-kore.html

I'm glad this is being streamed on YouTube because I'll be sleep when this goes live. Hopefully I'll be able to go back and watch it when I wake up.

Village

Yeah he nailed it when describing DOA5. The game has no soul and feels too technical for what DOA was like before. I've given it a chance many times but it just doesn't have the magic that I thought DOA4 had.

I can't say I agree.

I think DO5 is just a better game than 4.

Commentary on point @ Frosty Faustings, complaining about Elphelt's SG-D being completely invincible. It's not. The command grab is throw invulnerable, the lunge acts like a 6P. Good mixup is good, but ffs.

Korigama

The first four characters they made for Skullgirls don't count as straightforward? Filia, Parasoul, Cerebella, and Peacock respectively fall into the rushdown, charge, grappler, and projectile archetypes pretty straight.
Straightforward in a Ryu/Ky/Sol/Yu/Kula (may as well throw in a KoF example as well) kind of way? No, not really.

Filia requires making use of air dash cancels in order to play her effectively, and her only ranged attacks are her ground drills which erupt from fixed points, rather than anything that travels across the screen to control space (might as well not count her Lv. 3 super, which is considerably less economical and more situational than anything else). A simpler character compared to much of the rest of the cast, but her evil doppelganger Fukua is ultimately simpler.

Meanwhile, Parasoul is considerably less simple as a charge character compared to someone like Guile, with the need to account for setting projectiles on the screen that the player must decide the ideal time to detonate, knowing which umbrella normals are best for incorporating said detonations into combos, and accounting for multiple charge specials during combos, be it Napalm Shot, Napalm Pillar, or things like the motorcycle charge (i.e., hitting them with a combo that leads into a Napalm Shot, detonating the projectile left behind with a normal, taking advantage of the hitstun to bounce them off the ground with her b+HK and having a charge ready to call the motorcycle charge special to drag them to the other end of the screen, ready a non-charge attack with the Napalm Toss that sets up a projectile on that side of the screen, then have a charge ready to use the detonate version of Napalm Pillar).

I can't comment as much on Cerebella or Peacock. The former doesn't seem much better or worse than other grapplers in respect to accessibility. As far as projectile characters go, straightforward doesn't really come to mind with Peacock, as she seems to fall under the same quirky archetype as characters like Faust in GG or Teddie in Persona. Still, I could probably concede that she appears to be among the least demanding choices to play.

Of the DLC characters added so far, though, neither Squigly nor Big Band (especially not Big Band) nor Eliza are all that beginner-friendly either. That said, Squigly would probably be the best choice among those three for more casual players who don't play fighting games all that much, they just wouldn't be able to do much with the stance-switching or taking advantage of storing special attack charges for cancels during combos.

Top Bottom