• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I see nothing wrong with yearly updates. But if you are going to sell it as a new game it has to be worth being a new game.

Which is what sucks about both of the BB extends they are basically balance patches with what could be DLC characters tossed in and charged as almost a full release.

I guess you're not going to play SFV, then

I got a rant to make about this that I can't do atm since I'm on mobile, but as an open question to all, what do you think is the right time scale to introduce foundational changes to a fighting game? What about everything in between: bug fixes, mechanical tweaks, etc? There's a large body of work to draw examples from, whether it be Sakurai removing movement options from a game in a mere patch, Arcsys doing what they're now infamous for doing with game updates, or NRS messing with Injustice.

It's a toughy actually. I can't help but note that my motivation to play a provably outdated version of a game is really low so even if I know, internally, that ArcSys or whatever is developing a new version of their game more than likely almost immediately after release it's difficult to really see it as significant until it's staring you right in the face. I see the changes added in the Skullgirls beta for example, a lot of overall usability upgrades and iterations to the training mode to test different aspects of the game, and I want them immediately in my base game. Every version that's not the PC version is sort of left in the dust in that department and it makes me want to wait. I don't mind the individual balance changes or additional characters so much in that game because we've sort of left the days where there's a huge balance discrepancy that needs to be fixed asap and combos are open ended enough to the point where coming up with something new isn't that much of a problem. I just want the new and shiny and there are some standing minor glitches in Eliza edition that I know are fixed in the PC version that I want addressed now.

Ideally we'd have a situation where fighting game devs are able to immediately alter individual values to properties like damage or hitboxes or frames or what have you without needing to go through Sony to patch an entire new iteration of the game. Some sort of auto updating thing that connected to a server and adjusted them on the fly while marking them in some overall changelog kept somewhere in the options. It may not be able to add whole new characters to the experience but it could at least allow some of the more minor stuff to get through quickly and easily.

Ideally we'd have a situation where fighting game devs are able to immediately alter individual values to properties like damage or hitboxes or frames or what have you without needing to go through Sony to patch an entire new iteration of the game. Some sort of auto updating thing that connected to a server and adjusted them on the fly while marking them in some overall changelog kept somewhere in the options. It may not be able to add whole new characters to the experience but it could at least allow some of the more minor stuff to get through quickly and easily.
Call of Duty has had a hotfix system in place for years to push not only bugfixes but also balance updates without having to do a full-blown patch, and if that game can do it FG developers have no excuse.

LegatoB

I see nothing wrong with yearly updates. But if you are going to sell it as a new game it has to be worth being a new game.

Which is what sucks about both of the BB extends they are basically balance patches with what could be DLC characters tossed in and charged as almost a full release.
I'm part of the problem; I enjoyed Xrd's story mode enough that if they announced GUILTY GEAR XRD ~SIGN~ EXTEND with one new character and a bonus story mode chapter where Zato has to go to the Social Security office to get his paperwork fixed and Ramlethal has to tutor Sin so he can pass his fifth-grade equivalency exam, I'd pay $60 for it.

I mean, I guess there are BB fans out there like that, which is why ASW does it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Call of Duty has had a hotfix system in place for years to push not only bugfixes but also balance updates without having to do a full-blown patch, and if that game can do it FG developers have no excuse.
Could this also be a server-side thing? (whereas fighting games are P2P)

JeTmAn81

Well it looks like Sony money hatted yet another Capcom franchise (Dragon's Dogma).

Oh, it's not coming to Xbox One. I hadn't noticed. Oh well. I have to say, I don't really mind the trend of stuff just being on PS4 or PC. The market doesn't actually need both PS4 and XBone.

4r5

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/972-chaos-code/?p=888958

Rare footage of Tenryo visiting Dustloop.

A small test of the waters. This will make or break the future. If you have a Twitter account, RT and/or respond to this tweet.

https://twitter.com/TenryoTheLight/status/557288629006270464

And, before you ask the million dollar question...
https://twitter.com/TenryoTheLight/status/556913653958848513

Let's see who here really cares, and who's just blowing smoke.

Ideally we'd have a situation where fighting game devs are able to immediately alter individual values to properties like damage or hitboxes or frames or what have you without needing to go through Sony to patch an entire new iteration of the game. Some sort of auto updating thing that connected to a server and adjusted them on the fly It may not be able to add whole new characters to the experience but it could at least allow some of the more minor stuff to get through quickly and easily.
Mortal_kombat_9-500x542.jpg

2309228-2228469-box_ijgau.png

Mortal-Kombat-X.jpg

welcome to an ideal world

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That Reptile teaser really showed how much better the animations are in MKX
I didn't know how to word it, but the Reptile Trailer definitely had the best animation I've seen out of anything MKX (and MK in general). I still think it looks particularly weird in pretty much everything else, though.

Helps that Reptile is also one of the better looking character designs.

Kumubou

Can the magical touch of Gaben revive even the deadest of dead games?!?

I'm legitimately curious to see how well supported a Steam release would be, by both the developer and the players. If they're serious about this, I hope they come correct.

welcome to an ideal world
Until you have to bring the console to an offline event. If you're e-sports, you can afford to network all of the consoles so that they have all of the right hotfixes. If not, then... welp.

Will Apex be bigger than Evo.
For SSBM, it's already significantly bigger... but I think Evo this year will surpass it, and will be stupidly huge this year (and help push UMvC3 into the abyss of dead anime games).

Yeah, the animators they've got for MKX have done a world of good. It looks so much smoother than MK9.

In fairness, MK9 was the SF4 of MK games - a return to the roots. And the roots were goofy animations.

smurfx

get some go again
PC ports shouldn't be surprising.
Street Fighter V is also on PC.
looks like capcom is very willing to sell exclusivity as long as they can release a pc port to make extra cash. wonder if MS is not buying more of their exclusives for this reason.

Essay

The only difference between Skullgirls and Xrd on this front is that we're let in behind the scenes to the inprogress development of the inevitable next iteration! But it'll be done changing when Robo-Fortune is out, and she's farther along than the team's let on.

ivXl3Ay.png

Ooo, looking nice already. If she has a great neutral assist for Ms. Fortune (or actually converts well off my Fiber Uppercut) I will force myself back into SG. I love the IP and have pretty much played solo Fortune for the entire game's life-cycle, but got tired of feeling that, assistless, I wasn't experiencing the real game. Here's hoping that can change for me once the game's done changing!

Coda

I think the last MK was easily the best one ever. How did it get stale? There's a pretty deep combo system which some people are still finding new stuff with, and there's more random stuff to do than any other fighter.

It just felt too simple for me after a point. This one looks a little more stylish and better animations.

Aren't those an actual pain in the ass for TOs?

I'm not actually saying they're ideal, just that people were describing and asking for something that already exists.

There are issues, yes.

NRS could certainly stand to put the version number right on the main menu for starters, instead of players having to go in training mode to test whether certain moves are punishable by certain things to tell which game version they're on.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I guess this is how Capcom did it with Marvel.
Kappa

Guilty Gear X Advance (for the GBA) has a 2on2 and 3on3 tag mode, with assists and a new RC that was like a normal RC but also swapped out your point character.

There was a GBA version of the game?! I can only imagine breaking my gameboy advance trying to play GG.

Fake Edit:

Dat glorious theme

Well it looks like Sony money hatted yet another Capcom franchise (Dragon's Dogma).

Now we wait for UMVC3 to be brough to PS4 and PC with a patch and updated roster.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
NRS style hotfixes are completely terrible.

I don't envy anyone who has to run tournaments for those games in the slightest.

Papstr

Neo Member
NRS style hotfixes are completely terrible.

I don't envy anyone who has to run tournaments for those games in the slightest.

A friend had offered his 360 for KiT for Injustice. It probably took him a good hour to get it running because the console kept freezing when trying to download the title updates.

Top Bottom