• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

I don't know, something that seems to be happening now with URLs on GAF and some other websites, many of them going through that weird VGI link tracking website.

I pray I don't have a virus.
If you copy a link in a certain way the viglink JavaScript doesn't get a chance to rewrite the correct URL, so that's probably what happened to you.

KTGarda

HDR specifically, or ST? Because AFAIK Super Turbo is played way more than HDR proper is.

I was looking for HDR specifically, but if ST is played more that works too. Is the version in HDR ok for that or is an older one used?

Also, where would I look for some good Skullgirls videos?

Malice215

I wish I got into SC back when V came out
like competitively, been playing the series since Dreamcast era

It's never too late to jump back in, especially if you plan on attending any events where SCV will be played. The game is still fairly active online and straightforward to learn.

That model in the white at the Tekken Crash event is super hott. I'm super hyped for Tekken 7 can't wait to play it at EVO2015.

Overall that Tekken Crash event was really awesome. Totally something I'd go to, to watch or compete in.

I wish they were playing a newer build, but I'm glad to see the show and the models back on. Very entertaining.

soulsynapse

Neo Member
Quick question:

Say I want to capture a moment from a stream, what's the easiest, fastest and most reliable way?

Full disclosure: I'm trying to write a guide for the average viewer, I know how through obs / fraps / whatever but something the average user can do. The best I have at the moment is gifcam → gfycat.

I think having more video of great moments / gifs / webm / html5 floating around would do nothing but good for the FGC. The smash community has already fully adopted it, I just want to give more people the means to make these videos themselves.

Quick question:

Say I want to capture a moment from a stream, what's the easiest, fastest and most reliable way?

Full disclosure: I'm trying to write a guide for the average viewer, I know how through obs / fraps / whatever but something the average user can do. The best I have at the moment is gifcam → gfycat.

if you don't want sound then yea I guess gifcam would probably be the best. Or if you can capture straight webm that as well. Otherwise they'd have to use obs and then a video editor it seems.

xezuru

Is there even a typical Developer made 3D fighter that consist of aerial combat? Been looking back at Marvel2 and I dont even know Aquapazza? or some anime shit, cause I love air footsies but don't really see much of it personally. I mean personally I guess DBZ games or Virtual On kindof work? uhh sure.

Is there even a typical Developer made 3D fighter that consist of aerial combat? Been looking back at Marvel2 and I dont even know Aquapazza? or some anime shit, cause I love air footsies but don't really see much of it personally. I mean personally I guess DBZ games or Virtual On kindof work? uhh sure.
Dissidia

Beckx

Gundam EXVS. Game is based around managing your boost (which allows you to be airborne), controlling space, and punishing landings.

Pics_nao

Taking a video game class this semester and had to choose a topic for the semester. I chose fighting games and now I need to talk about something regarding fighting games for the next 10 weeks. Give me ideas guys.

mbpm1

Taking a video game class this semester and had to choose a topic for the semester. I chose fighting games and now I need to talk about something regarding fighting games for the next 10 weeks. Give me ideas guys.

Talk about how you can't believe it's not 2D and how how GGXrd is God's gift

Or the frauds among us

Or more seriously, about the requirements of execution and their role in fighting games

As well as the culture and how it differs from other eSports salt and such

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why choose the subject if you have nothing to talk about regarding it?

Kalamari

Why not focus on fighting game strategy. Seth Killian's domination 101 series could be a god resource.

How developers decision create unintended gameplay (the creation of the combo) unblockables, hitstun, guard stuff.
The stupid button; talk about specific moves and how players create a gameplan around it (sakura, standing and crouching fierce, Hulk standing H/throw)
Hit hurt boxes and properties of moves.

Guile's changes throughout SF4 and the implications.

"Is there even a typical Developer made 3D fighter that consist of aerial combat? Been looking back at Marvel2 and I dont even know Aquapazza? or some anime shit, cause I love air footsies but don't really see much of it personally. I mean personally I guess DBZ games or Virtual On kindof work? uhh sure."

Psychic Force 2012

mortalkombatarmageddon_xboxbox.jpg

D8DiFRQ.png

Sayah

Week 1: The genre and its subgenres (3D, 2D, arena, ring out, etc). General overview.

Week 2: Game design covering complexity, depth, balance of mechanics. For instance, 3D fighters generally have low-mid-high mixup games. Discuss how these features engage players. Look at the rewards, accomplishments, etc that players get from playing fighters (ie a sense of fulfilment/satisfaction).

Week 3: Character Design. How to appeal to player tastes? Importance of diversity.

Week 4: Stage design. What environments are best suited based on a games theme? Realistic? Fantasy based?

Week 5: Single player features. Importance of tutorials, good training mode. Engaging story mode.

Week 6: Multiplayer features. Importance of online features (good netcode, online training, possibility of online service like World Tekken Federation providing stats). Mini games.

Week 7: Competitive scene (tournaments, sponsors, players, etc). Casual scene and sales. Dilemma of balancing game design around casual/competitive players.

Week 8: Marketing (best ways to engage fans). Capcom did a reality show for SFXTK, for instance. Harada and Onto are in constant discussion with fans through Twitter. Various other examples.

Week 9: Fighting games and Feminism. Oversexualization of females (dead or alive). Glaring lack of female diversity ("old" or "fat" female characters, female grapplers, etc). Health bar differentiations with male counterparts (look at mvc3).

Week 10: Future of fighting games: DLC trends, declining popularity, death of arcades, increasing development costs, etc. Suggestions for popularizing the genre.

I came up with this in like 5 minutes.

vulva

Why choose the subject if you have nothing to talk about regarding it?

Why talk about something you already are well versed in. That's just an exercise in the familiar. I like the idea of learning about a genre you know nothing about and discussing that. It would be like me picking games where video game stories are the driving factor. Maybe the result would make me less condescending towards gamers who play for story or some emotionally attached reason.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why talk about something you already are well versed in. That's just an exercise in the familiar. I like the idea of learning about a genre you know nothing about and discussing that. It would be like me picking games where video game stories are the driving factor. Maybe the result would make me less condescending towards gamers who play for story or some emotionally attached reason.

But see that's you already having an idea based on the subject. That idea could spiral into other things as well.

^Exactly this.

Kalamari

I like Sayah's suggestion, you'll never be at a loss for words if you follow that. The trick would be cover each topic sufficiently if you want the Tekken player-like grades.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Week 1: The genre and its subgenres (3D, 2D, arena, ring out, etc). General overview.

Week 2: Game design covering complexity, depth, balance of mechanics. For instance, 3D fighters generally have low-mid-high mixup games. Discuss how these features engage players. Look at the rewards, accomplishments, etc that players get from playing fighters (ie a sense of fulfilment/satisfaction).

Week 3: Character Design. How to appeal to player tastes? Importance of diversity.

Week 4: Stage design. What environments are best suited based on a games theme? Realistic? Fantasy based?

Week 5: Single player features. Importance of tutorials, good training mode. Engaging story mode.

Week 6: Multiplayer features. Importance of online features (good netcode, online training, possibility of online service like World Tekken Federation providing stats). Mini games.

Week 7: Competitive scene (tournaments, sponsors, players, etc). Casual scene and sales. Dilemma of balancing game design around casual/competitive players.

Week 8: Marketing (best ways to engage fans). Capcom did a reality show for SFXTK, for instance. Harada and Onto are in constant discussion with fans through Twitter. Various other examples.

Week 9: Fighting games and Feminism. Oversexualization of females (dead or alive). Glaring lack of female diversity ("old" or "fat" female characters, female grapplers, etc). Health bar differentiations with male counterparts (look at mvc3).

Week 10: Future of fighting games: DLC trends, declining popularity, death of arcades, increasing development costs, etc. Suggestions for popularizing the genre.

Sayah is the real MVP. Gave you an A+ for your class.

Top Bottom