• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

Zissou

Don't all games have one "real" ending? It's not like the Mass Effect series lets you play out various conclusions to the story. CT has a few serious endings (~3?), but most are goofy. One is secret and awesome.

Some games do a great job of having your ending be decided by your actions- if you can get past the jank, Alpha Protocol is a great example of this.

Dahbomb

r/kappa found the evo 2016 roster

cAcBOjd.jpg

This is clearly a fake because UMVC3 is on there.

shaowebb

lol damn, those are my characters (but I also use Peach & Bowser)

Peach is my Project M main. I love her mobility in that game sooooooo much. Her style in Smash 4 is still good but I need to veggie more and stomp more in it. The increased speed of Project M and her float cancels in it made her a mainstay for me out of nowhere. Just started bodying folks I had been losing to when I changed up to her. Them brella juggles...so good. I've been told a few times I should really go in on my Solid Snake more in Project M too. He's fun, but ehhhhhhhhhh.

Dahbomb

Can't wait for MVC4 sponsored by Sony exclusively on PS4 featuring like 8 Spider Man villains and Mary Jane.

I wonder how low the entrants will stabilize this year though. I mean, obviously it isn't going anywhere but I wonder how many are still playing it and how fierce the competition will still be.
Competition will still be fierce among the top 64 or so players. There are still hungry players out there as CM demonstrated. Top 8 will basically be like all the other top 8s though... you will have the gods plus some random people among those top 64 and then one/two ZMC players.

Where the numbers will drop are from people who never really had a shot to begin with which is the casual audience. I still expect over 500 players for UMVC3 at EVO 2015 though.

shaowebb

Mavel's not going anywhere till the next one.

In that case can we put Tatsunoko vs Capcom back on there then? I found it more exciting and I'd love to watch it at EVO too. Be nice to see Cashern, Yatterman 1, Tekkaman Blade, Roll, Ippatsuman, Soki, and alllllll the rest again. Such a great roster...too short lived man.

fun fact, Apex prize pools:

Melee 1v1: $18,070
Melee 2v2: $2,640

Smash Wii U 1v1: $15,055
Smash Wii U 2v2: $1,790

Smash 64 1v1: $2,130
Smash 64 2v2: $410

Brawl 1v1: $1,960
Brawl 2v2: $410

Pokemon Total: $1,030

UMvC3 Total: $1,390
USF4 Total: $3,520
GG Xrd Total: $2,000
Killer Instinct Total: $500

note: Pokemon and the other fighting games have door registration

shaowebb

Can't wait for MVC4 sponsored by Sony exclusively on PS4 featuring like 8 Spider Man villains and Mary Jane.

Honestly if thats what it took to get MVC4 to happen then hells to the yeah Sony do it. I don't care if its half Spiderverse trash . Fix some of the roster, replace Xfactor with something else, and figure out your mistakes and improve. (Die TAC die) Go apeshit though with the roster choices...its MVC4. Make it as noticeable as the jump from MVC2 to MVC3 was. It'll give folks a reason to play both if they want to for more than just a few mechanical changes.

Seyavesh

im gonna main japanese spiderman, ben reiley scarlet spider (not ben spidey gimme that fuckin' sleeveless hoodie) and taskmaster

Kumubou

I never played the TMNT Fighters series before hence why I'm asking :p
The SNES one is surprisingly solid; it's probably the best fighting game on the SNES outside of SF2T (and here comes the angry mob of Gundam Wing: Endless Duel and Sailor Moon SuperS players). It's basically a bootleg SSF2T. The Genesis version is hot garbage, though. Everyone (except Donatello for whatever godforsaken reason) has a throw infinite, hitboxes and collision detection are super fucked up and it's straight kusoge (and not in the joking "lolol SF4 is ass" sense).

pretty much what r kappa has been doing since the evo announcement.
I never realized they were such fans of UNIEL and KoFXIII.

shaowebb

Id like to see EVO do another fundraiser for charity to put another game into EVO's lineup. It was a ton raised for charity the year that Skullgirls and Melee went at it tooth and nail. Plus thats part of what led to the rebirth of Melee hype. I'd like to see if anyone would rise up for their scene like those two did.

Lots of titles fell off...KoF XIII, DOA, MK9, Injustice, BlazBlue...put em all up on a list and start the charity funding is how I feel.

Id like to see EVO do another fundraiser for charity to put another game into EVO's lineup. It was a ton raised for charity the year that Skullgirls and Melee went at it tooth and nail. Plus thats part of what led to the rebirth of Melee hype. I'd like to see if anyone would rise up for their scene like those two did.

Lots of titles fell off...KoF XIII, DOA, MK9, Injustice, BlazBlue...put em all up on a list and start the charity funding is how I feel.

Winner: Super Turbo

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm expecting SFV to be out in Spring 2016.
Yep; I fear that's a conservative estimate though, especially when devs are more and more comfortable announcing games early. Maybe April or something so they can tell their investors not to worry if 2015 was shit, because 2016 is gun b dope.

Busaiku

So what will get more entrants, Guilty Gear Xrd or Mortal Kombat X.
Mortal Kombat in 2011 and BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma got about the same amount of entrants (around 500).
But the biggest NRS game was Injustice in 2013 with 582, while Guilty Gear doesn't really have a comparable situation.

Mortal Kombat in 2011 and BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma got about the same amount of entrants (around 500).
But the biggest NRS game was Injustice in 2013 with 582, while Guilty Gear doesn't really have a comparable situation.
Probably MKX, because I bet Ed Boon will give it a pot bonus, and it is the more popular series.

Then again, it depends on how many JP players come for Xrd.

Hopefully Mortal Kombat. ASW still hasn't made a good game yet.

Busaiku

Pretty sure Aksys and ArcSys will give a large pot bonus for Guilty Gear Xrd too, if last year is anything to go by.

Yep; I fear that's a conservative estimate though, especially when devs are more and more comfortable announcing games early. Maybe April or something so they can tell their investors not to worry if 2015 was shit, because 2016 is gun b dope.

Ken Bogard's rumor did say to think of the Japanese fiscal years and it would be out by 2016.

Tizoc

The SNES one is surprisingly solid; it's probably the best fighting game on the SNES outside of SF2T (and here comes the angry mob of Gundam Wing: Endless Duel and Sailor Moon SuperS players). It's basically a bootleg SSF2T. The Genesis version is hot garbage, though. Everyone (except Donatello for whatever godforsaken reason) has a throw infinite, hitboxes and collision detection are super fucked up and it's straight kusoge (and not in the joking "lolol SF4 is ass" sense).

Aha thanks for clearing it up.

shaowebb

ASW is more marvel than marvel in my eyes. Would an art style change help folks break into it? I see this same sort of thing outta of other dudes too and I wonder if its just because its anime sometimes.

Please...elaborate for me. No sarcasm here. No smugness or spite is being implied by me by this request...I just want to know more from someone who doesn't ASW what it is that turns you off. The characterization? The visual novel stuff? The anime? Anything in particular in how it plays? I need some answers...I just need to know why people tend to pass on these more than so many other fighters considering how fast paced, deep, and unique the characters tend to be in terms of mechanics.

Dahbomb

ASW is more marvel than marvel in my eyes. Would an art style change help folks break into it? I see this same sort of thing outta of other dudes too and I wonder if its just because its anime sometimes.

Please...elaborate for me. No sarcasm here. No smugness or spite is being implied by me by this request...I just want to know more from someone who doesn't ASW what it is that turns you off. The characterization? The visual novel stuff? The anime? Anything in particular in how it plays? I need some answers...I just need to know why people tend to pass on these more than so many other fighters considering how fast paced, deep, and unique the characters tend to be in terms of mechanics.
I really have no idea what you mean by ASW being more Marvel than Marvel when ASW has not put out a full team based fighting game (with assists, DHCs etc). The closes thing to a Marvel game is Skullgirls. And by Marvel I am mostly talking about the MVC2/MVC3 format of 3v3 fighting.

I am playing GGXrd these days and just getting the hang of things. It's fun but it's still no Marvel.... it's its own thing and that's fine.

Sayah

Funny thing is, prior to launch I was watching a lot of 1fow1's stream and he kept goin on about how he couldn't find the kill moves with Pacman and Greninja. I feel him on Greninja but Pacman is all jump backs and charge attacks all day...not a hard dude to get into. Plus his normals and his recovery are great IMO. Dude had me thinking he'd be bottom tier and then I get ahold of him and he just stays so safe and annoys so hard.

He completely replaced my Ness for runaway play, thats for sure. Prior to launch I thought I'd be all over Little Mac, Villager and Megaman. After launch its all Wii Fit Trainer, Pacman and my life bro Gandondorf still. :D

Sad Little Mac is too rough on recovery even for me though :(

Little Mac's recovery really does suck. I would use him otherwise. :/

Pac-Man's down taunt is like salt on wounds. It's the best win troll taunt. lol.

None of their games are any fun. Simple as that. The music is nice, but that's all I'm willing to give. And even then I only like one song.

Top Bottom