• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

CPS2

The RPG. I was reading visual novels already by the time the game came out so all that stuff that was in P3 and P4 was nothing new or special. Half the time I see people talking about why they liked it so much the visual novel stuff tends to get brought up and at that I'm just like eh it's average in that regard. Has a good twist though.

Shadow Hearts Covenant is one of my higher rated RPGs near that CT and FF6 spot. Persona 3 and 4 are pretty down the list. Persona 2 *with both versions together* is a bit higher than it's sequels. P3 and 4 do have awesome OST's though that's for sure.
Its hard to avoid over-hyping games like that, I kinda think demon souls etc is the same, they're good, but when there's that many threads and nearly everyone recommending it, your expectations end up pretty high. I'm glad with p3 and p4 I only really knew one person who was hyping them up at the time so I wasn't expecting the best games ever, but now they probably are ky favourite jrpgs ao I probably overhype them for other people.

MrDaravon

Money Puzzle Exchanger is one of those games I've heard about being insanely awesome, but have never played.

Also I somehow completely missed all of the Super Arcade/Watson bullshit, holy shit.

Arturo vs Justin Wong in some waifu game http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby
ijVVL2QS9WrYE.gif

WarRock

Real talk, Naganuma should just get a year where everyone in the JPN development scene contracts him for soundtracks. That man is too good to be as criminally underutilized as he is.
Call Aki/Syn Sophia to make some brutal super moves and Naguma to make the beats sync to it like the Ultras in KI. Nnngghhh, why this game doesn't exist?

Kumubou

Call Aki/Syn Sophia to make some brutal super moves and Naguma to make the beats sync to it like the Ultras in KI. Nnngghhh, why this game doesn't exist?
Have you seen what Syn Sophia works on now? You would end up with a game with a killer soundtrack and lots of frilly dresses
and without the violence, just in case you were thinking otherwise

ZSS is more punishable than those other 2 thank god.. When Sonic is on the screen half the time I don't know what to do because every move looks the same..
You get used to it, and all of his moves have answers.

Spindash - space it out.
Tracking Spindash - spot dodge and punish.
Side Dash - no one ever seems to use this.

Pikachu. :x

Meh.

Honestly when it comes to Super Smash Bros. Four Nintendo WiiU, I want to rotate between a great number of characters.

I wish there was a feature to create my own random selection containing

• Peach
  • Rosalina
  • Mac
  • Zelda
  • Dorf
  • ZSS
  • Palutena
  • Ike
  • Robin
  • DeDeDe
  • Charizard
  • Lucario
  • Puff
  • Greninja
  • Falcon
  • Killager
  • WFT
  • She Hulk
  • Lucina

I'm not good with several on that list, but meh, it's Smash.

Besides maybe Dorf, who's DeeJay tier on that list?

Azure J

Diddy
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus
villager

Zero Suit Samus is getting considered the cheap stuff now? Neat. :D

I haven't played Smash 4 in a while thanks to the GGXrd vortex. I should go and brush up. Still want to narrow my selection of characters down, but I can't drop Marth/Pit, ZSS is fucking nice feeling, and Greninja is that ninja.

shaowebb

What in the hell? Someone's favorite mechanic is Xfactor and least is Parry? Bakedyams your are like the Bizarro version of every other player's post in the weekly spotlight.

Also Dorf is a lifelong main for me. He's not nearly as bad as people think he is from his past iterations since Smash 4 has the added factor that the more damage you take the more knockback you dish out. That coupled with Dorf's already high knockback and the age old mechanic of a damaged enemy flying further away means Dorf is One Hit Kill the character. Just gotta learn to space Chokendorf and air stomps properly. Its all about dat Flame Choke setup babay.

Fun fact...do an air flame choke and connect with your body over the stage edge and the opponent's body still over the side trying to recover and he will chokeslam them and get stopped by the stage. In other words he chokeslams them off the stage and survives unlike most chokendorf attempts :D

Fun shit.

Zissou

If your perspective redefines the pinnacle of its genre as a new genre without changing anything else, I think you are clearly wrong. :p

I love both atmospheres. MH is like a Saturday morning cartoon. So much charm and nonsense.

I don't think JRPGs are RPGs at all really. They are their own thing that should have a different name so people don't waste their time having "what is an RPG?" or WRPG vs. JRPG arguments. The shared genre name gives people the idea that they should be lumped together when they don't have much in common. WRPGs attempt to emulate pen and paper RPGs- the central idea is that you create a character that is 'you' and you put yourself in their shoes. You do this while you experience a crafted narrative which, while it may have many immutable aspects, still allows player influence to play a significant role in how it plays out. Combat system does not define what is or is not part of the genre.

It's like an argument I had with my friend about Star Wars. I disagreed that Star Wars was sci-fi- or more specifically, I was arguing that the setting of sci-fi does not necessarily place something in the sci-fi genre, which is something that indicates (to me at least) that the story revolves around the implications of science or technology at its core. I think anyone would agree that James Bond having futuristic gadgets does not make a James Bond movie a science fiction film.

It's like an argument I had with my friend about Star Wars. I disagreed that Star Wars was sci-fi- or more specifically, I was arguing that the setting of sci-fi does not necessarily place something in the sci-fi genre, which is something that indicates (to me at least) that the story revolves around the implications of science or technology at its core. I think anyone would agree that James Bond having futuristic gadgets does not make a James Bond movie a science fiction film.

That's why smart people refer to Star Wars as Space Fantasy.

So hype.

I mean, Melee. Melee is hype.

I don't think JRPGs are RPGs at all really. They are their own thing that should have a different name so people don't waste their time having "what is an RPG?" or WRPG vs. JRPG arguments. The shared genre name gives people the idea that they should be lumped together when they don't have much in common. WRPGs attempt to emulate pen and paper RPGs- the central idea is that you create a character that is 'you' and you put yourself in their shoes. You do this while you experience a crafted narrative which, while it may have many immutable aspects, still allows player influence to play a significant role in how it plays out. Combat system does not define what is or is not part of the genre.

What about the "JRPGs" that do include all those things?

Also, pen-and-paper RPGs aren't always open like "WRPGs". Most DMs craft a set of events you have to follow. It's not like you're making your own world and story in most cases, you're just making basic yes/no decisions at a few turnpoints. Devil Survivor, a "JSRPG", does this by letting you decide not to save people in need so they die, which changes how the story plays out. Hell, Chrono Trigger has...13 endings? All based on decisions you make about when to fight Lavos. That's more than most "WRPGs".

And combat system IS the gameplay of an "RPG". It should absolutely define the genre.

Dahbomb

smart people don't go around having IRL arguments about what made-up genre Star Wars belongs to

LMAO!

What in the hell? Someone's favorite mechanic is Xfactor and least is Parry? Bakedyams your are like the Bizarro version of every other player's post in the weekly spotlight.
To be honest the Parry is something that is hated by a lot of people even on FGW.

shaowebb

Smash 4 is a wonderful version of Smash, I need to play it more often again. Probably after I move.

Again!? I thought you just moved...
Tales of the wandering Q.

After rereading the Bakedyams thing I will agree that having the fullscreen game nullified by parries did suck. In that sense it did get rid of an aspect of the game, but you rushdown anyways lol.

I guess my favorite mechanic would be the HD gauge system in KoF 13 followed by Baroque in TVC. Least favorite would be Xfactor or this one super obscure thing called "Climax Time" in Kamen Rider Chou Climax time that just gave you 4 full bars of meter when the opponent hit 1/4th health to let you hit your "big finish".
Crock of shit gimmick that last one. Only added for the kiddies.

Marz

Smash 4 is OK. After playing it for an extended amount of time I think it made some improvements over Brawl but there's also some things it took away that I don't like.

Going to Apex this week, so eager to see how people play outside of my own scene.

shaowebb

Parries are awesome. So is Just Defend.

Jam parries into game winning stuff is hype.

Well I moved last year, I had to find a new place since last month.

Q gettin some mileage...California rent blows hard too. Good luck out there.

Smash 4 is OK. After playing it for an extended amount of time I think it made some improvements over Brawl but there's also some things it took away that I don't like.

Going to Apex this week, so eager to see how people play outside of my own scene.

I'm finding Smash 4 to be something unique. Its a middle ground between Melee and Brawl but the dodge differences, and the new roster is making the meta far different for me. Really finding myself diggin Wii Fit Trainer these days. I play her relentless...she doesn't even have to hold back off the stage! Just so much pressure and recovery on her. Great chase character and a totally new style for me since I usually play heavy slow folk like Dorf/Dedede.
Also I dig Pacman...fuck yeah hydrants and keys forever.

Sayah

Q gettin some mileage...California rent blows hard too. Good luck out there.

I'm finding Smash 4 to be something unique. Its a middle ground between Melee and Brawl but the dodge differences, and the new roster is making the meta far different for me. Really finding myself diggin Wii Fit Trainer these days. I play her relentless...she doesn't even have to hold back off the stage! Just so much pressure and recovery on her. Great chase character and a totally new style for me since I usually play heavy slow folk like Dorf/Dedede.
Also I dig Pacman...fuck yeah hydrants and keys forever.
Pac-Man is the best new character in the game.

Zissou

So hype.

I mean, Melee. Melee is hype.

What about the "JRPGs" that do include all those things?

Also, pen-and-paper RPGs aren't always open like "WRPGs". Most DMs craft a set of events you have to follow. It's not like you're making your own world and story in most cases, you're just making basic yes/no decisions at a few turnpoints. Devil Survivor, a "JSRPG", does this by letting you decide not to save people in need so they die, which changes how the story plays out. Hell, Chrono Trigger has...13 endings? All based on decisions you make about when to fight Lavos. That's more than most "WRPGs".

And combat system IS the gameplay of an "RPG". It should absolutely define the genre.

A JRPG that included all of those things would just be an RPG, I guess, haha. Doesn't Chrono Trigger basically have one 'real' ending and then a bunch of goofy ones you get if you do new game plus? Dunno if I'd count that.

smart people don't go around having IRL arguments about what made-up genre Star Wars belongs to

Well you're arguing about said argument :p

On topic: parries usually suck.
fuck 3S

shaowebb

Pac-Man is the best new character in the game.

Funny thing is, prior to launch I was watching a lot of 1fow1's stream and he kept goin on about how he couldn't find the kill moves with Pacman and Greninja. I feel him on Greninja but Pacman is all jump backs and charge attacks all day...not a hard dude to get into. Plus his normals and his recovery are great IMO. Dude had me thinking he'd be bottom tier and then I get ahold of him and he just stays so safe and annoys so hard.

He completely replaced my Ness for runaway play, thats for sure. Prior to launch I thought I'd be all over Little Mac, Villager and Megaman. After launch its all Wii Fit Trainer, Pacman and my life bro Gandondorf still. :D

Sad Little Mac is too rough on recovery even for me though :(

A JRPG that included all of those things would just be an RPG, I guess, haha. Doesn't Chrono Trigger basically have one 'real' ending and then a bunch of goofy ones you get if you do new game plus? Dunno if I'd count that.

Well you're arguing about said argument :p

On topic: parries usually suck.
fuck 3S
Don't all games have one "real" ending? It's not like the Mass Effect series lets you play out various conclusions to the story. CT has a few serious endings (~3?), but most are goofy. One is secret and awesome.

Funny thing is, prior to launch I was watching a lot of 1fow1's stream and he kept goin on about how he couldn't find the kill moves with Pacman and Greninja. I feel him on Greninja but Pacman is all jump backs and charge attacks all day...not a hard dude to get into. Plus his normals and his recovery are great IMO. Dude had me thinking he'd be bottom tier and then I get ahold of him and he just stays so safe and annoys so hard.

He completely replaced my Ness for runaway play, thats for sure. Prior to launch I thought I'd be all over Little Mac, Villager and Megaman. After launch its all Wii Fit Trainer, Pacman and my life bro Gandondorf still. :D

Sad Little Mac is too rough on recovery even for me though :(

lol damn, those are my characters (but I also use Peach & Bowser)

Top Bottom