• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

8mdV808.png

curious

Someone talked about that a couple of weeks back on iplaywinner's twitch.

Rhapsody

Banned
10k pot bonus for Persona at Evo thanks to Atlus.

I've said this in the Persona thread, but I would've preferred if Atlus was able to spread the pot bonus on other majors instead of just 10k at Evo.
Anything to help keep the community maintain some level of interest and stay active before Evo.
8mdV808.png

curious

also 10k pot bonus for XRD

Arc Revo qualifer probably.

zlatko

Banned
Why do people like Anime?

Anime, much like games, or movies, has so many varieties of content out there for a varied audience.

Horror, action, drama, mystery, etc all these genres exist within anime as well. Well written anime is like a well written movie or TV show---it can get you invested in characters.

If you want to get into anime you have to ask yourself what kind of movies and games you like, and what you can or can't stomach. I hate weird lolly kiddy dressed chicks trying to be all cute under the guise of an action setting. Fuck that shit. GTFO with that shit.

Anime's I would personally suggest if you wanted to try to get into anime that has action and is well done that is unique:

Attack on Titan
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood(or just FMA)
Hunter x Hunter
Death Note
Monster
Parasyte
Cowboy Bebop

If you can get into these above then you probably have a chance to get into One Piece and Naruto as well, but you have to invest more time before these take off, and you have to put up with filler and/or annoying shit from the start.

-----------

Fighting game question: What did Karin play like in the alpha series? Rekka character, rush down, charge character, etc ?

zlatko

Banned
Can't dig the art in one piece, and that means I'll never read or watch it.

Also, pirates are lame.

It's the reason I can't get my fiance into it who is heavily into anime and manga.

She doesn't like the art style. Granted the style gets better as the series goes on compared to when it first starts, but it is what it is.

To be honest it's very little about pirates haha. That's just an excuse to let people with crazy powers beat the crap out of each other really.

Hit up Hunter x Hunter. It's very similar to Yu Yu Hakusho meets One Piece.

zlatko

Banned
Rekka, iirc.

This is relevant to my interests... I should break out Alpha 3 this weekend and mess with her to see what's up.

I'm still trying to refine my playstyle so I know what characters would click with me, but I think there is no formula oddly.

I know some players just want to play grapplers, or it has to be something that is akin to Ryu with a DP and projectile, but I'm all over the place:

Xrd-Potemkin
USF4-Decapre/Abel
MKX-Kung Jin
Smash-Greninja
SF3-Urien

I like low execution a lot though. Or chance to make BIG comebacks(pot / abel).

Urien is the biggest curveball on that list and easily my favorite in play style. Footsies? Got it. Projectile? Got it. Fantastic comeback factor via Super? Got it. Unblockable Set ups? Got it. Great at getting you into the corner? Got it.

Fuck he better be in SF5. :(

Rhapsody

Banned
Fighting game question: What did Karin play like in the alpha series? Rekka character, rush down, charge character, etc ?

Rekka with a grappler and some counters. Rekkas aren't quite like Fei's though. You don't have all day to confirm them. You basically have to piano to get them to combo into each other.

Kimosabae

Banned
I find anime to be aesthetically cool as fuck when it isn't blatantly pandering and I find the innovation on display in terms of elements japanese artists like to bring together or emphasize to be unmatched. I'd go as far as to say it's my favorite art style by a longshot. Gunblades? Key blades? Zippers? Big belts? Your sword doubles as a lighter?

Fuck yeah.

No other art style comes close to having me express "GodDAMN I wish I would have though of that!" as much as anime does.

But in terms of characterization and storytelling... it just seems like the industry hasn't matured much and lacks subtly. Japan doesn't seem to have any interesting stories to tell, for some reason. As I've grown older, the only anime I still hold a modicum of respect for is Cowboy Bebop and a few Myazaki films, such as Princess Mononoke.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I want a Akuma kitty.

yo kadey, when you down for some sf?

I find anime to be aesthetically cool as fuck when it isn't blatantly pandering and I find the innovation on display in terms of elements japanese artists like to bring together or emphasize to be unmatched. Gunblades? Key blades? Zippers? Big belts? Your sword doubles as a lighter?

Hell yeah.

No other art style comes close to having me express "GodDAMN I wish I would have though of that!" as much as anime does.

But in terms of characterization and storytelling I just seems like the industry hasn't matured much and lacks subtly. As I've grown older, the only anime I still hold a modicum of respect for is Cowboy Bebop.

I feel like it started out as a strong medium for storytelling and just ended up transforming to some otaku pandering piece of shit imo. Luckily, the good shows still get the recognition they deserve. You should give Ping Pong The Animation a shot, its godlike.

Kimosabae

Banned
I feel like it started out as a strong medium for storytelling and just ended up transforming to some otaku pandering piece of shit imo. Luckily, the good shows still get the recognition they deserve. You should give Ping Pong The Animation a shot, its godlike.

What's it about?

Ippo, HxH, and OP gifs. All we need is some Jojo and it'll be perfect.

BITCH! SPoiler! :(

I'm only on the King playing chess or whatever with that blind girl with snot streaming out her nose.

; ;

It's a good thing that there are almost no spoilers then. Luckily there's no context to what's happening in this gif.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What's it about?

Its about these two boys who play Ping Pong. I can't really say more cause it'll spoil the entire story. You can take my word for it and probably everybody else here who has seen the show can vouch for what I say.

How the hell do you guys consume so much media? Are you guys in front of the computer by choice or for work?

Most of us don't have a spouse or kids lol

How the hell do you guys consume so much media? Are you guys in front of the computer by choice or for work?

As much anime I watch and games I play, I've seen maybe all of like 10 movies in my life. Never seen star wars, lord of the rings, etc. And I hardly watch any TV besides sports.

I did just see the first avengers movie last week and it was pretty good.

90% of anything is shit and it's always been like that for anime. It's just a different kind of shit now.

I feel like people complaining about anime being shallow pandering garbage should probably watch some of the better drama or mystery stuff like Mushishi, Stein's gate or movies like 5 Centimeters per Second or Grave of the Fireflies.

(But personally i can also enjoy the shallow fanservice shows for what they are. Don't think it's a worse trend than all the shallow vampire TV series or shallow young adult movies to be honest)

--
Was SF5 confirmed to be playable at E3, or just rumoured? If it is i'm gonna hype myself up for some impressions, lol.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I feel like people complaining about anime being shallow pandering garbage should probably watch some of the better drama or mystery stuff like Mushishi, Stein's gate or movies like 5 Centimeters per Second or Grave of the Fireflies.

(But personally i can also enjoy the shallow fanservice shows for what they are. Don't think it's a worse trend than all the shallow vampire TV series or shallow young adult movies to be honest)

Believe me, I watch quite a bit of shows during the season since I don't watch TV at all. Those shows right there is what I consider the 10% of shows that drive the medium forward and not backwards. Other than that, Ninja Slayer is pretty dope.
Well at least the OP is lol

Grakl

--
Was SF5 confirmed to be playable at E3, or just rumoured? If it is i'm gonna hype myself up for some impressions, lol.
Confirmed

Rhapsody

Banned
Ha! Awesome. Urien seems like ass. Those reflector set ups were not SF3 levels of scary.

Karin didn't seem to have to do much either. Solid spacing going on.

What was wrong with Capcom Fighting Jam ?

Urien was top tier (but not top top).

Lots of things wrong with CFJ. It was just a mess of combining so many different mechanics. It wasn't universal mechanics either, each character had access to the stuff they had in their respective games. And when you consider how crazy Darkstalker characters are, you can expect them to be ridiculous over some of the other characters.

Top Bottom