• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Onemic

Chun winning against Yun is not something I am going to buy. Far too many games of good Chuns just getting wtfpwned to accept that.

It's generally accepted that Chun beats Yun now. New tech was discovered last year that allows Chun to avoid Yuns mixups/pressure on wakeup.

Coda

Ono expressed that he wanted R. Mika in SF IV and Karin and her have been in the top character polls for what characters people want in SF V so I don't see why people think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Also I love when people try to pretend like SF isn't anime. I mean it's no Blazblue on the anime scale but it's like halfway between anime and realism. I mean for real, so anime right hurr.

Code:
[IMG]http://static2.gamespot.com/uploads/original/536/5360430/2753138-15772346838_a1fdcfd519_o.png[/IMG]

What is the appeal of Anime? Seriously. That stuff was the worst in middle school and I avoided a lot of it in highschool and engineering school but then it came back when I was in art school and at my work. My coworkers know I don't like that stuff but they keep bringing it up to me just because I think Kiki's Delivery Service is one of the better ones.

Thores

I feel like Karin will show up at some point in SFV's lifespan, but possibly not when it launches. One of the biggest things about her is her rivalry with Sakura, so I feel like Sakura would need to be playable first.

I imagine Sakura will be in the initial cast (hopefully not wearing a schoolgirl outfit), and then Karin will join her in the next "season" or expansion or however they handle new content.

from the sf4 reveal thread lol

sarkeezya4pub.png

What is the appeal of Anime? Seriously. That stuff was the worst in middle school and I avoided a lot of it in highschool and engineering school but then it came back when I was in art school and at my work. My coworkers know I don't like that stuff but they keep bringing it up to me just because I think Kiki's Delivery Service is one of the better ones.

<GB>: It has to be a seperate genre
<GB>: because the people that watch anime need to feel a sense of belonging somehow
<GB>: they need to attach themselves to catchphrases and cliche's in order to feel like they're part of a family
<GB>: and the more they allow themselves to become invested in that idea, the worse it gets
<GB>: that's why anime is overwhelmingly pandering loli bullshit
<GB>: when people say "anime", they don't mean cartoons
<GB>: they mean a specific set of tropes that propagate themselves
<GB>: as a sort of cultural checklist
<GB>: the easiest way to identify these people is to use the words cartoon or comic when you're talking about anime or manga and watch for a visible reaction
<GB>: because it's denying their identity

Skilletor

Kind of silly to lump all things "anime" under one umbrella, no? Like there's no difference between something like Cowboy Bebop and Naruto. Sword of the Stranger and Sailor Moon. There's a wide breadth and depth of art and stories that will appeal to lots of people. You've obviously found something "anime" you enjoy, so it's a dumb question to be asking.

Whats the appeal of video games?

Astarte

Because you get to see shit like this.
That gets you HYPED THE FUCK UP!

Wow not posting slam dunk? Gorilla Gori is disappointed in you.

Guess its more of the figures, anime pillows, silk t-shirts, art work and all the merchandise associated with Anime that I don't get.

Is this a real comment though? Just take a look at the show and enjoy it for what it is. It's a medium, it's going to have a whole lotta shit. Kuuchuu Buranko is not Kantai Collection; I mean, you don't see me buying Supernatural hug pillows but I still liked the show for a time.

Crocodile

So I asked this earlier but I never got an answer, can I just plug in a USB controller (like a PS3 controller) into my computer and get it to work for Yata? (In case it wasn't obvious I basically never game on my computer).

Guess its more of the figures, anime pillows, silk t-shirts, art work and all the merchandise associated with Anime that I don't get.

Aside from "people online can be weird", literally EVERYTHING that's popular has merchandise. Are you just as confused that Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, etc. all have artwork, t shirts, figures, etc. associated with them? I'll agree with you that I don't get the appeal of body pillows but whatever (wait no actually I do they just seem super stupid as a concept and have a high weird/creep factor).

convo

I compare the people who refuse to call Street Fighter anime, with Americans who refuse to use the metric system but still use millimeters for their gun calibers.

Beckx

So I asked this earlier but I never got an answer, can I just plug in a USB controller (like a PS3 controller) into my computer and get it to work for Yata? (In case it wasn't obvious I basically never game on my computer).

My MadCatz 360 fight pad works fine with Yata.

PS3 controllers sometimes require external programs to work on PC. I've never gotten a Dualshock 3 to work with any game without using Joy2Key and that's a PITA.

Forgot about the maid cafes too. Okay the internet/life is weird. I will be back here trying to arrange my kid's summer camp schedules. Enjoy your pillows.

Also my google friend said everyone has an "internet loop"; places they check and congregate ignoring most of the other parts of the internet. I think my loop bleed into the anime stuff since I like fighting games.

Is this a real comment though? Just take a look at the show and enjoy it for what it is. It's a medium, it's going to have a whole lotta shit. Kuuchuu Buranko is not Kantai Collection; I mean, you don't see me buying Supernatural hug pillows but I still liked the show for a time.

The entire genre is heavily shifting to service that demographic, though. Shows need moe and whatever characters in order to sell merchandise because it's what makes the most money, and establishing a character brand is way more important than making an actual decent series for success.

It's like saying that if a game is a mobile f2p game it doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad game, but ultimately the business model means the design will be skewed towards getting money out of dedicated whales than making an actual good product.

Dahbomb

I don't get that shit either. I mean I know why it exists but that's not what anime is about.

It's like talking about video games and saying "oh I hate video games, it's all microtransactions and pay to win/progress/amiibo/DLC crap" when your experience is mostly through F2P mobile crap.

mbpm1

Kind of silly to lump all things "anime" under one umbrella, no? Like there's no difference between something like Cowboy Bebop and Naruto. Sword of the Stranger and Sailor Moon. There's a wide breadth and depth of art and stories that will appeal to lots of people. You've obviously found something "anime" you enjoy, so it's a dumb question to be asking.

He probably has no idea what those comparisons even mean tbh

Crocodile

About KBrad: Losing your wallet with all your shit in it sucks but that isn't a "life-over" type of emergency. Hope things turn out ok for him though.

My MadCatz 360 fight pad works fine with Yata.

PS3 controllers sometimes require external programs to work on PC. I've never gotten a Dualshock 3 to work with any game without using Joy2Key and that's a PITA.

Joy2Key? PITA? Not sure what those mean but this is not encouraging to hear overall

The entire genre is heavily shifting to service that demographic, though. Shows need moe and whatever characters in order to sell merchandise because it's what makes the most money, and establishing a character brand is way more important than making an actual decent series for success.

It's like saying that if a game is a mobile f2p game it doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad game, but ultimately the business model means the design will be skewed towards getting money out of dedicated whales than making an actual good product.

I mean your not wrong about current trends but that doesn't change the fact that A) the vast majority of any medium has been and always will be shit and B) its still VERY easy to find good shows but most people who say "anime was a mistake" and mean it seriously simply refuse to make the effort to educate themselves. Granted, there is no requirement one has to give two shits about anime or any other medium. But, and this also applies to subjects way more important than fucking Japanese cartoons, I wish people could admit more often when they don't know what they are talking about.

Astarte

I'm not talking about the genre as it is right now, but anime as a whole (and with a lot of generic moe blob animes failing in terms of sales, companies are trying out new experimental stuff like that...first person...boy pillow talk anime..). There's still a lot of good stuff that's being made right now, like (hopefully) that Legend of the Galactic Heroes remake. Lumping Serial Experiments Lain with some shit like Ro Kyu Bu makes me heated.

PER SO NAAAAA!!!

*to the tune of "Let's Go Away" from Daytona USA by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi*

PERSONNNNAAAAA LET'S GO AWAY

There are good series that are entertaining, and being drawn allows the creators to emphasize things that are much harder to emphasize in a live acted scene.

I dare you to watch Juuni Kokki / The Twelve Kingdoms, Seirei no Moribito / Guardian of the Sacred Spirit or Ghost in the Shell and tell me you hate the stuff with a straight face.

Or if you want something in manga, try Vagabond. So, so very good. These are all just normal adventure/action stories that happen to be drawn.

If you want to get ridiculous, try Black Lagoon. It's hilarious.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167035251]<GB>: It has to be a seperate genre
<GB>: because the people that watch anime need to feel a sense of belonging somehow
<GB>: they need to attach themselves to catchphrases and cliche's in order to feel like they're part of a family
<GB>: and the more they allow themselves to become invested in that idea, the worse it gets
<GB>: that's why anime is overwhelmingly pandering loli bullshit
<GB>: when people say "anime", they don't mean cartoons
<GB>: they mean a specific set of tropes that propagate themselves
<GB>: as a sort of cultural checklist
<GB>: the easiest way to identify these people is to use the words cartoon or comic when you're talking about anime or manga and watch for a visible reaction
<GB>: because it's denying their identity[/QUOTE]

This is true more and more. So many series with so many characters that are there just to fill a checklist of things cellardwellers find appealing.

Top Bottom